Young Sheldon (TV Series 2017– ) Poster

(2017– )

Loved it!
heatherc69213 October 2017
I don't know what everyone else's problem is, but my husband and I watched the opener and loved it. It was cute and funny and I personally love the fact that Jim Parsons is narrating. We are both huge BBT fans and are especially fond of Sheldon, and we thought this was a great episode and can't wait to see more. The only thing I'm irritated with is that they're waiting a whole month to air the next episode. That is just ridiculous to me!
97 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
aledrien2 October 2017
Not sure how people are crapping on this show,.. it is wholesome,charming and reminds me of a better version of Wonder Years..

how they made a better version of wonder years i have no idea,.. but here it is,..

maybe it's the influx of mindless remakes and zombie movies since early 2000s that have made people forget what good programming / writing and Casting look like!?
79 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought it was brilliant! Not sure what some people here are on about...
chrisalgar16 October 2017
I thought it was a great first episode and a brilliant idea. There's so many ways this show can go if done correctly. Taken a character already loved and showing us all the bits we hear pieces from on The Big Bang Theory. I think it was a bit reckless using an actor from The Big Bang Theory to star in a different role in this spin off but can put that down to me being picky.

Overall I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing where the series goes!
76 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet and funny
cherold27 September 2017
I was surprised how many people dislike the pilot. I thought it was an interesting idea done well. And now that I've watched six episodes, I feel fully justified in saying this is terrific television.

The show centers on the childhood of The Big Bang Theory's high- functioning autistic genius Sheldon Cooper. Sheldon is a quirky savant in a very ordinary family with a religious mom and a puzzled dad. Too smart for his peers, the 9-year-old Sheldon is boosted to high school, where he promptly alienates everyone.

Some people complain that Sheldon is too annoying, but why would you want a series about a young Sheldon if you didn't want to see someone annoying? I find the kid version less irritating, primarily because he is powerless and thus is not, like his adult counterpart, bullying and browbeating and insulting his friends to get his way. Young Sheldon is just trying to survive and, more importantly, learn.

In fact, my main concern is that Sheldon seems a little too normal. He's got some funny habits and is a bit obsessive, but I would have expected someone far *more* obnoxious and weird. He really just seems precocious and socially clueless.

I wasn't surprised that Sheldon is socially inept or sometimes rude - if you are, then once again I have to ask why on earth you watched this show. I was surprised at the sweetness of the series. Sheldon's mom is wonderfully understanding and supportive, and even his dad has occasional moments of rough, loving insight.

Some people have said there aren't any jokes in this series, but it's actually very funny. No, there aren't any Catskills comics material, but if you think there are no jokes I think you just need the BBT's laugh track.
46 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a pleasant surprise
dino-14123 March 2018
When I first read about plans for a TBBT spinoff, I did not think that it would work in a million years. Maybe the reason so many people are disappointed is the huge difference in tone - and the fact that young Sheldon is way too cute. While TBBT is more or less a nerdy version of Friends, Young Sheldon is more like a classic family comedy with typical family problems and the special task of raising an Asperger genius. The key ingredients are the same as in TBBT though - fresh humor, well defined characters and a brilliant cast. For me the best new show of the season.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genesis of a Sheldon
Rashazemun13 October 2017
Will be interesting to watch and to enjoy. That said, i have to mention other reviews that tells me more about people these days. So, basic human reaction according to these people on IMDb commenting this show is when you see someone smarter than you, is to kick him, shut him up, make him stop, tell him he is weird, etc. It scares them and makes them angry at the same time, even though it's an imaginary kid on a TV show. What did this world come to?
49 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is more than acceptable if you open up your mind!
maisum-0233825 September 2017
This show gives off a wholesome vibe and at the same time it shows Sheldon being an obnoxious child. Some people do not like it but what they fail to realise is that this childhood story is being told FROM current Sheldon's perspective. So for him his childhood will be magical and since he does not realise how obnoxious he can be he is just remembering him being himself.

The story is amazing, it directly reflects TBBT and all the little details Sheldon talked about in TBBT. The production quality was amazing for the pilot and I hope it remains the same throughout the season. Even the voice of Sheldon's young mom is so spot on and similar to his current mom in TBBT. If nothing, give this show some credit FOR the amazing attention to detail.

I am reading bad reviews about this TV show already mainly because it reflects on the large amount of hate TBBT receives. However people should realise that TBBT is one of the biggest TV shows currently and this spin off is simply keeping things more interesting. The show has changed so much in 10 seasons and it continues to change to keep it form being boring.
33 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
munchere-260-5987992 February 2018
I have a problem with the reviewers complaining about how Sheldon is such a brat and at the same time say they watch TBBT. If they watch that show then they must know Sheldon is a brat. In this show, though, we have a 9 year old version of a bratty Sheldon. In both cases he isn't bratty because he's spoiled or mean hearted. He's bratty because he's a genius and a social simpleton. That's the point. I Iiked the show right off but I can also say that it has improved as these brief, less than 30 minute, episodes are able to develop the characters and relationships more. One reviewer complained about the lack of character development after only watching the first show! I also think the actor playing young Sheldon is doing a great job. As with the adult Sheldon the young Sheldon is sincere, wants to be good, knows his own mind but also knows that he doesn't understand social norms and so listens to those close to him although he reserves the right to not accept those norms. I enjoy the family dynamic and the situations that arise because he's special. This family is much more realistic than the Malcom in the Middle family, a show one reviewer touted as being at a level this show couldn't come up to. The characters in MITM were ridiculously stupid. The characters in Young Sheldon each ha ve a unique personality and do things that you have seen others do or can imagine others doing, like Sheldon's brother trying chewing tobacco, repeatedly spitting it out in disgust then saying "I must be doing something wrong". The writing warms the heart as we watch a family moving past disagreements and difficulties caused by their special Sheldon - all realizing that they love him and he's family which is more important than those disagreements and difficulties.
24 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's incredible
victorlk-0763613 February 2018
I like the original TBBT series, but Young Sheldon is a huge step forward from a comedy to a realistic documentally description of Sheldon's life, naturalistic pages of americans life in 80-th. One of the best series ever created. My congratulations to director and other guys which are involved in these series creation.
23 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely loved it!!
anna_mple-193-35039314 October 2017
Excellent pilot! Smart funny dialog, loved the mother (the resemblance is amazing), I would watch it even if I wasn't watching TBBT. I already have my favorite characters, it was so well performed and young Sheldon totally sold it! I am looking forward to it, it's disappointing to wait a month for the 2nd episode.
35 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop expecting TBBT!
asaleepi26 September 2017
This show is not called TBBT, it is called Young Sheldon. Therefore, stop expecting it to be anything like TBBT. This show is about learning why the character is the way he is. You will be disappointed if you watch the show expecting the same level of comedy.

As a loyal TBBT fan, I am very pleased to learn more about Sheldon's character. I also giggle every time a reference is made to something that was mentioned in TBBT.

I will of course need to watch more in order to give a more accurate rating since a lot of what happened in the pilot episode was expected due to the trailer, but overall, good show. I will most definitely keep on watching.
24 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe Laurie Metcalf Should Narrate
Sober-Friend25 September 2017
This show would be funnier if they put focus on "Sheldon's Mother" other than Sheldon. It would be funnier to see a woman learning to navigate a boozy husband a smart mouth daughter and stupid son and a superior minded son. What would be funny is that the hardest thing in her life is dealing with a prodigy son. SHe can handle everything else.

I am sure CBS pushed for some sort of "Big Bang" spin off and this is what we got. Where "The Big Bang" is traditional 3 camera situation comedy this is a single camera show.

In this comedy It's 1989 and 9-year-old Sheldon Cooper has skipped four grades to start high school along with his less-intellectual older brother. As he struggles to be understood by his family, classmates and neighbors, his mother arms him with the best tool she can come up with: reminding bullies his dad is the football coach and his brother is on the team. His twin sister doesn't share his exceptional mind, but she has a much clearer vision of what life has in store for the young genius. Jim Parsons, who plays the adult version of Sheldon on "The Big Bang Theory," narrates.

I think having Jim Parson narrate is A HUGE problem. His voice over should be funny. Jim Parsons is funny in "TBBT" but he is not funny doing the narration for this show. I know that "The Narration" is not suppose funny in this show but in this show EVERYONE IS ANNOYING AND NOT FUNNY EXCEPT THE MOTHER!

I will pass on watching any future episodes! Unless they re-tool make the mother the focus and Laurie Metcalf does the narration. If they hate hate that idea then just "Stop with the narration".
108 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the train wreck the trailers implied but still troublesome.
domonkos-horvath26 September 2017
After watching several trailers I wasn't very enthusiastic about watching this show, but I'm glad I did. Sort of...

Scenes that had no emotional effect on me whatsoever in the trailers worked very well in the context of the entire episode, scenes I've already seen gave me a couple good laughs. There are two things crucial to the entire substance of the show I don't like.

1. It's foreshadowing more drama than comedy. Don't get me wrong, I don't generally dislike dramas, but I can't get behind a drama as a prequel to a sitcom. I shouldn't have expected anything different, I already knew from The Big Bang Theory that Sheldon was constantly bullied, his father turned into an alcoholic etc., it's just that being confronted with this side of Sheldon head on makes me feel very ill at ease.

2. Sheldon's portrayal is wrong. Granted, Iain Armitage is a child actor and I can't expect the same level of acting skills from a child than an adult, but his portrayal of Sheldon is a complete failure. The actor's portrayal of Sheldon is way too wooden, older Sheldon is enthusiastic about everything he says, he prides himself on his knowledge and revels in imparting that knowledge, he's all giddy when he talks about his interests or pursues one of his hobbies etc. Iain Armitage's Sheldon is just a robot. There is no emotion, no conviction behind anything he says or does and that's just not Sheldon.

I'll have to watch more episodes to see where this is going before I can rate it but the pilot episode was a 6 at best, and with more episodes this show could easily turn into a 4.
39 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So far - Unexpectedly Brilliant!
fung012 November 2017
Anyone expecting 'more Big Bang' will be sorely disappointed by Young Sheldon. This is a very different kind of show - and a far, far better show than we had any right to expect. Young Sheldon could have been a quick cash-in on the huge popularity of Big Bang Theory. But it turns out to be a whole new thing, only loosely connected to the previous show.

True, Young Sheldon does pick up the backstory established for the Sheldon of Big Bang. But the writing takes off in a whole new direction. Gone are the zippy one-liners, the exaggerated characters, the zaniness, What we get instead is something no one could have predicted: heart.

It's a huge mistake to think of Young Sheldon as a prequel to Big Bang. Think of it, instead, as a 21st Century reboot of Leave It to Beaver. This is a slice-of-life story of growing up in Texas. Instead of being set-bound like Big Bang, Young Sheldon is shot largely on locations. Instead of being stylized, it's realistic. Instead of being glib, it's thoughtful. There's plenty of humor, but it's gentler and more complex.

The third episode, for example, deals with a child coming to grip with the possible death of a parent, and with the role of faith in his very logical universe. The script doesn't judge, and it doesn't forget to be, at times, hilariously funny. (The last line had us in stitches.)

The acting is uniformly superb. Sheldon's mom perfectly evokes Laurie Metcalf's older version from Big Bang. Annie Potts playing Sheldon's 'Meemaw' is as brilliant as she's ever been (and that's saying quite a lot.) And then there's Iaian Armitage in the title role. He doesn't mimic the older Sheldon, but he does ring absolutely true as a precocious yet naive kid, totally out of step with his surroundings. After watching him for a half-hour, I no longer cared whether he was supposed to be a younger version of some other character. He's a totally memorable character in his own right.

Chuck Lorre has taken a huge risk, defying audience expectations with Young Sheldon. Let's hope he and Steven Molaro (who've co-written the early episodes) can keep the series going as powerfully as it has begun. And hope also that audiences can shake off their addiction to Big Bang Theory long enough to appreciate something that's as fresh and ground-breaking today as Big Bang was eleven years ago.
17 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupid
alexpaulson-1392426 September 2017
This show is not going to work. The only likable person in this is the mother but she is not the central focus. What we have is television about a gifted child that comes from a typical Texas family.

Sheldon Cooper is a character we got to know on "The Big Bang Theory". He wasn't obnoxious at first but the slowly grew to realize that Sheldon was an OCD control freak. In this show Sheldon is a little jerk. He is rude. He needs a swat on the butt.

I don't see where this show can sustain an audience. The kid is fine but the story is cold and distant.

Watching another episode is not worth my time!
114 out of 293 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I quite enjoyed it
lharper136-264-51948926 September 2017
I set it to record on a whim & went in with no preconceived notions. I'm only a casual watcher of The Big Bang Theory so I appreciated this look at Sheldon's background & really liked the actress who portrays Sheldon's Mom. I would definitely watch future episodes & hope there are some on their way!
19 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's like the diary of a wimpy kid movies but with a complete snot.
duckman-4268925 September 2017
When I first heard of this show, I was skeptical. Even as someone who likes TBBT Unironically, this show was just... obnoxious. In the very first episode, there's an entire 3 minute scene of Sheldon Whining about other people's haircuts and clothes because "it's against the dress code", and insists that a teacher's "credentials" are not up to standard. At one point, he even insists that the kids in high school will be "wowed" by his intelligence and how they will "make him his leader." I am not making any of this up at all.

For fans Of the original TBBT, this will not interest you as not only is the humor completely different, but the entire tone of the series as well. Rather then being a goofy comedy show like TBBT, it's much more dry and "wholesome", it's akin to eating stale bread. Not awful, but completely flavorless.

While Sheldon did have a little depth in the first series, this new one basically boils him down into "snotty nerd." His family doesn't fare well either. We have his sassy sister, who is a complete a*****e to everyone around her. We have his brother, who likes football and that's pretty much it. His mom, who talks with a southern accent,

is completely forgettable. Heck, It's only 20 minutes after seeing this episode and I already forgot everyone but Sheldon's names. His dad is a sporty coach type, who gives morels to other people. I will say this: The series is shot very nicely. It's not quite "Hollywood" levels, but it is really good for a TV budget.

But Overall, this series is a frustrating, boring, mess. Nobody likes a snitch, and nobody sure as heck wants to follow one around for a half hour straight.

EDITED FOR GRAMMAR, SPELLING, LANGUAGE AND SPOILERS.
50 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I tried giving this show a shot
john-demetriou-jd9 December 2017
I tried giving this show a shot. Maybe a new fresh way of Sheldon could be fun again, as when big bang theory first started and it was a bit nerdy and kind of fun. You know, before it became a soap opera with random references and no jokes. Well Young Sheldon is more of that same recipe. Random references (maybe, sometimes, one episode we saw Elon Musk appear in the last scene), no jokes, and soap opera story line. I mean the latest episode I watched S01E07 where the premise of the whole episode is Sheldon's grandmother will not give Sheldon's father her recipe for brisket? I mean really? His grandmother is also portrayed (in all episodes so far) as being a full on asshole while from Big Bang Theory all we got was that she was the most loving and amazing person in his family.

Anyway, no reason to devote your time to it, with so many TV shows available the last years, there is no reason to watch this one.
22 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not cute, not funny, just annoying
ultrahornetchaser27 September 2017
There's already a show about a boy genius, it's called Jimmy Neutron. This show is basically a weird hybrid of that, Everybody Hates Chris, and The Big Bang Theory. And it's...not good.

You can clearly tell that everything the kid says is meant to make you think "aww, that's so cute! Look how smart he is!" But no. Young Sheldon isn't cute or funny. He's just annoying and obnoxious, and his extremely Smart Alec comebacks to everything are really draining to listen to for 30 minutes at a time. His family is more entertaining to watch than he is. The kid that plays Young Sheldon is a great actor and I'm sure he'll go far, but...he's not playing a likable character in the slightest.
49 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT SHOW – GREAT FIRST EPISODE – WANT TO SEE MORE - don't understand what the whiners are sniveling about.
elrelr26 September 2017
I watched the whole episode with a smile on my face; it was extremely entertaining and showed promise for a great series. This show is all about seeing the world from young Sheldon's perspective. It is NOT about entertaining you whiners. This first episode wasn't HahHah funny but it DID set the scene for future episodes, showing family members, neighborhood kids & school population young Sheldon had to deal with & their attempts to deal with him. He was not snotty-just a young kid trying to follow rules of a high school set before him. Remember, Sheldon is very literal-he has to GoByTheRules-they are the only part of his world that make any sense to him. He was a highly intelligent little boy trying to live in & figure out a world of people who were, to him, as a chimp would be to you. It was great that the creators of the series had Older Sheldon do the voice- overs; it really reminded viewers who young Sheldon became later. The kid was great & his family all had their own personalities-all of which I'd like to see more of. I'm sitting on pins & needles waiting to see the next episode-just wish it wasn't coming a full month from now.
26 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was this???
jlstoyka25 September 2017
I was super excited for this show as a huge Big Bang Theory fan. If it is going to be a spin off, you'd think it would have a similar feel. Nope. I kept hoping it would get better each agonizing minute... Still nope. It's classified as a comedy, but I didn't laugh once. If anything I felt super annoyed through the whole episode. They made Sheldon someone you want to hate and almost look forward to getting beat up (kidding of course). I suppose that is what they are going for... Trying to get us to see why he is the way he is now and to appreciate his growth socially in TBBT... However maybe just a special episode on TBBT with childhood flashbacks would have been more than enough, rather than wasting air time on a series like this!! I will give it another episode or two for it to redeem itself, but so far I'm unimpressed. I gave it 2 stars to be generous.
31 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I had to check if this was supposed to be a comedy.
jimwt6618 October 2017
Even some of the really bad comedy shows had a chuckle or two with something so stupid it was funny but I can say that not once did I even crack a smile. Nothing was even remotely funny. I can only think it is paid people that give it a high rating. The acting was fine and might have been OK if it wasn't supposed to be a comedy.

I normally give a show 3 viewings before I decide if it sucks or not but this one was so unfunny that it would need a whole new set of writers for the rest for it to be worth the time.

You can tell the parts where the writers thought it was going to be funny such as Radio Shack being around forever. But it just wasn't...
45 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Depressing and horrible on so many levels....
bh-6639311 November 2017
Advice for those who have not seen new series and considers watching it - DON'T. Or at least think twice: it might damage your enjoyment of the 'current' Big Bang Theory.

I am (well was!) a big fan of the Big Bang Theory. When the Young Sheldon show got announced, I hoped to see the same level of writing/acting. Trailers suggested otherwise, but I still gave it a shot. The pilot episode did not have a single interesting dialog/scene/joke. To make things worse, you cast Melissa Tang who played Mandy Chow in the original series as Ms.Fenley in new. She is a good actress and very recognizable - that fact alone entirely screw up the time-line for me. All characters are flat, boring and annoying. The third episode with the drunken grandma was downright depressing.

The most unpleasant thing is that those 3 episodes ruined for me the enjoyment of the original series: Sheldon, Mary and grandma Meemaw are not the same lovable characters anymore! I am so upset that you ruined the show (almost as much as Sheldon when Amy ruined Indiana Jones for him) that I registered with IMDb just for the purpose of writing about it. I will not be watching it and most likely will stop watching the grown up Sheldon as well... Too bad I can't 'unsee' the 'Young Sheldon'.
29 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A FEEL GOOD TV sitcom that literally grows on you. Actor Iain Armitage is perfectly cast as the young Sheldon
Ed-Shullivan25 September 2017
I love it! This pint-sized new star Iain Armitage sure can act. His lines must be extremely difficult to remember for such a young lad. Young Sheldon being the prequel to the adult Sheldon of the multiple EMMY award winner The Big Bang Theory will thrive based on the eclectic cast of characters who are living in the 1980's. I see very little need to compare it to TBBT but I will say that it has taken sixty (60) years since the family themed Leave It To Beaver once aired, and I do see some comparisons between the Cooper family and the original (Beaver) Cleaver family.

We see how young Sheldon and his family cope with his genius whereas the rest of Sheldon's family are a normal working class family. Sheldon's father is the high school football coach, his mother (who is played by the real life daughter Zoe Perry, of adult Sheldon's mother played by Laurie Metcalf) relies on her faith in the church, his big brother is a jock, and his twin sister has a mouth on her like a bar maid.

I cannot wait to see when they introduce the audience to the other woman in Young Sheldon's life. That person being Sheldon's mee-ma who apparently will be played by Annie Potts (Designing Women). Another pleasure of Young Sheldon is the series is void from that horrible staple of many comedy series, that being the canned laughter box. Thank you, thank you a thousand times thank you. Let's let the audience decide what is funny and what is not. For now I am laughing and I really enjoy Young Sheldon.

A perfect 10/10
32 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply not funny...
TwentyWasHere26 September 2017
CBS grabbed a random "Wonder Years in the 80s" treatment out of the drawer, dusted it off, rewrote the lines of the little boy to mimic Sheldon Cooper from TBBT and thought they have a hit show.

Well, it simply does not work. The show is not funny. The actor playing little Sheldon gives his best at copying Jim Parson. But that doesn't make it funny. It just makes watching the show awkward and you ask yourself why this was green-lit in the first place.

They try hard to put in TBBT references about Sheldon's childhood wherever possible. But these without the context of TBBT are not funny on their own and just remind you of a so much better Sitcom (the first couple of seasons). When you hear Jim Parson's voice-over at the end of the first episode you wonder why you watched this in the first place.

Similar for the actress that portraits Sheldon's mother. She does a great Laurie Metcalf impersonation. But that's all it is. An impersonation, nothing original or funny here.

If you are hoping for some funny Sheldon moments, you won't find any here. The concept of "Wonder Years in the 80s feat. Sheldon Cooper" just does not work out. It proofs once more that a Sitcom is made funny by the actors and not by the characters.

If you are looking for a good new sitcom you have to look somewhere else.
29 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.