Smallfoot (2018) Poster

(2018)

Deeper than you think.
baz-6199026 September 2018
I don't believe people can't see the messages in this film. The truth sets you free, tolerance, don't let others tell you what to believe in, accept and embrace differences etc etc etc. Enjoyable, warm and fun
84 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful family movie
gabbymoulton28 September 2018
We thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The soundtrack- especially wonderful life- is beautiful. The message is so heartwarming, and there were lots of funny moments too.
56 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What lies beneath? An upside surprise
BrodyMarcusMacey26 September 2018
You never know what you're going to get with non-Disney/Pixar animation. It might be an Illumination Entertainment-style effort -- lacking in substance but lots of wise cracks and kid-friendly touches (think "Minions" or "Sing") -- or a Laika-style affair, with depth and darkness to boot ("Kubo and The Two Strings").

Warner Animation Group has form, of course, with "The Lego Movie" combining laugh-out-loud humour for the kids with a knowing, subversive quality to keep the Mums and Dads entertained. It also produced "Storks", a much more pedestrian effort. Thankfully, "Smallfoot" belongs in the former camp.

Boasting impressive CG animation courtesy of Sony Imageworks, "Smallfoot" takes a tale reminiscent of "Monsters Inc." -- two groups ignorant and fearful of the other, in this case yetis and humans -- and twists it with a clever, topical message about the perils of putting dogma and self-interest ahead of critical thinking and the greater good. Ignorance really isn't bliss. This adult-friendly message may elude kids too busy laughing at the many visual gags, including a fantastic sequence involving fraying rope that brings to mind classic Warner animations of yesteryear, but it elevates the movie above most of its peers and ensures that not-so-young audience members are entertained too.

The film isn't quite Disney/Pixar level -- the yeti character designs are a little odd, as though the animators were trying to avoid too close a resemblance to Pixar's Sully, and the featured songs are catchy rather than great (Zendaya's "Wonderful Life" being the stand-out).

Still, "Smallfoot" is a thoroughly entertaining family film that aspires to be different, backed by appealing protagonists, well-judged comic moments, a thought-provoking message, and a rewarding resolution that steers clear of being saccharine. Recommended.
44 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big on fun, laughs and meaning, 'Smallfoot' cleverly inverts the typical human-yeti story for a delightful yet thoughtful fable on discovery, truth and understanding
moviexclusive23 September 2018
Cleverly inverting the point-of-view from which a tale of human and Yetis would probably be told, 'Smallfoot' tells of a clan of bigfoots living high up in the Himalayan mountains whose peaceful and orderly lives are disrupted when one of their own stumbles upon a smallfoot. It isn't just that these smallfoots have thus far been the stuff of myth; in fact, their very existence goes against the community's long-held beliefs, which are literally set in stone and worn around the neck of the high and mighty Stonekeeper (Common). So as you can probably expect, that very individual is told to either rescind his account or face banishment from the community, but by bravely choosing the latter, opens up a whole new path of knowledge, understanding and enlightenment for his fellow 18-foot hairy denizens.

Adapting from the book 'Yeti Tracks' by animator Sergio Pablos is Dreamworks Animation veteran Karey Kirkpatrick and his co-director Jason Reisig, and the duo fashion a lively, fast-paced and colourful action adventure that sees our hero Migo (Channing Tatum) venture below the clouds concealing their mountaintop habitat to find the smallfoot and prove that he isn't lying or delusional. But had the movie simply been about Migo confronting the ostensibly deceitful Stonekeeper, it would probably be no more than the stuff of Saturday-morning cartoons; instead, Kirkpatrick and co-writer Clare Sera find unexpected depth digging deeper into why the bigfoots had sequestered themselves in the first place, weaving in a poignant lesson on the dangers of fear and close-mindedness as well as the transformative power of communication.

Lest you think that the movie ends up being heavy-handed, we can reassure you that it never does, or for that matter turn preachy. On the contrary, there are plenty of amusing details along the way - like how the exuberant Migo is at first perfectly content to follow in his father's (Danny DeVito) footsteps to have himself catapulted headfirst towards a giant gong every morning in order to wake the sun up; or the band of rebel Yetis called the clandestine Smallfoot Evidentiary Society (or S.E.S. in short), led by the Stonekeeper's own daughter Meechee (Zendaya), who assist Migo on his quest; or how Migo first runs into Percy (James Corden), an animal TV show host whom he will become unlikely buddies with, when the latter in his desperation for clicks tries to convince a fellow reporter to dress up in a Yeti costume so he can pretend to have captured one on camera.

Just as worthy of mention are the couple of Looney Tunes-esque sequences that are clearly meant to hark back to its parent studio's golden era of animation. Migo's initial descent becomes an extended set-piece that includes a tangle with a rope-bridge and its two precipitous cliffs, as well as with the broken body of the propeller plane which Migo had seen the original smallfoot crash-land out of. Later on, a refuge from a blizzard inside a deep cave becomes the scene of a series of comic misunderstandings, including a warming up on top of a pile of burning firewood, an encounter with an irate mother bear who had just put her baby cubs to sleep, and a classic display of language barriers. There is inventiveness in each of these gags, and calibration in both pace and rhythm, so even though they are zippy and zany, they never get too hectic for their own good.

Kids will also love the couple of musical numbers, penned by Karey and his fellow Kirkpatrick brother Wayne, including the narration-and-song opening 'Perfection' by Channing Tatum, the inspirational 'Wonderful Life' by Zendaya, and the edgy rap 'Let It Lie' by Common. To be sure, none of these reach the heights of Disney's 'Frozen' or even 'Moana', but they are definitely catchy enough to sustain their own energetically animated diversions. They also give the off-the-beaten voice cast ample opportunity to demonstrate their lesser-seen (or heard?) talents, and we dare say that Tatum, Zendaya and Common pull off the singing parts beautifully. Those familiar with Corden's 'Carpool Karaoke' series will be glad to know he has a quirky number here too, that is based on Queen's 'Under Pressure'.

So even though 'Smallfoot' never hits the Pixar gold standard of feature animations, or perhaps even the subversive ingenuity of Warner Animation Group's own 'The Lego Movie', there is plenty of fun and laughs to be had in this fable on lies and 'myth-understandings', as well as on mis-communication and the lack thereof. Like we said, you'll be pleasantly surprised that its makers haven't opted for just another superficially glossy piece of kids' entertainment, and have instead decided to evolve the narrative in more complex and satisfying ways. It isn't small or unambitious by any measure, and is in fact big on both entertainment and emotion, so you'll find that there's something for every member of the family - big or small - in this delightfully joyous celebration of wonder, discovery and truth.
31 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than I expected
smcsween1729 September 2018
I was surprised that the issues dealt with in this film were not only so significant and relevant but that they did it in a way that was not overly simplistic. Other than the slightly after school special ending, the movie was phenomenal. My 10yo loved it also.

The songs mostly didn't blow me away, although Common was pretty incredible (uncommon?). There were a lot of big laughs from both me and my daughter.

Gets a 10 because anything that is that funny that combines a great message in a way that both children and adults can relate to is extremely rare to encounter.
34 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny loveable movie with a nice message
Samanthamjones25 September 2018
The movie was beautiful, entertaining and funny. It had a good take away message and the casting was great. There was something missing though, I can't put my finger on it but something was missing from this that stops it from standing out as a fantastic movie. Maybe we need more songs or other lovable side characters I don't know. I did enjoy this but it's not my favourite this year
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People miss the point
pogyo29 September 2018
Three moral lessons people seem to miss:

1. Always tell the truth no matter what. With emphasis on "no matter what".

2. Intergrity over money and fame. Dont deceive people just for money and fame.

3. Love over money and fame.

Percy was famous when he got back from the mountains because of the video. He gave up all of that by saving Migo.

This is the movie i want my kids to watch. None of those immoral Disney characters.
24 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
cute yeti!
donaldricco1 October 2018
Pretty cute with some strong messages! I hope all parents can discuss some of these with children that are age appropriate. I also think it works on other levels, but my 10 year old daughter and I had some good talks. And she also laughed pretty hard at some of the slap-sticky humor!

On a brief note of WTF??? The song that rips of "Under Pressure" by Queen/Bowie is quite possibly the worst song my ears have ever been subjected to. How in the world was that approved by those artists? And for god's sake, why did James Corden agree to sing it? If you think Vanilla Ice ruined that song, you have no idea. I wish, wish, wish that Khan, from Star Trek 2, would get another Ceti Eel and put it in my ear to nest and release its eggs into my brain. I then wish the baby eels would eat up all the parts of my brain where the memory of that song exists - no matter how much devouring that took. Honestly, it's that bad. And it's on Spotify. wow...

Now Common's song, that was awesome!!!!
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was hilarious! Why is it so underrated?
polfosol3 December 2018
I enjoyed this so much that I rewatched it again immediately after. And I really can't think of a single negative point in the movie. Everything was made to near perfection. The story, the voice acts, and of course, the music. This amount of joy has become so rare these days.

This animation was a proof to the fact that some rappers are a far better choice than the professional voice actors. I am so desperate to get my hands on the soundtrack! Please don't miss this one. It would be a really big loss.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious and Recommended
jeymatt29 September 2018
If you hear lots of children laughter filling the whole cinema hall, means the animation movie has been successful in delivering. My daughter and I were having so much fun watching this movie in cinema, it was so hilarious and meaningful. Definitely a good movie to bring family and kids!
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun movie for the Families, but is it memorable?
galaxy_boy-7854923 September 2018
Behind every animation movie there's always a great moral, "Smallfoot" film makers completely failed to deliver the message they indended to the kids in a simple, easily understood way. That doesn't mean that kids won't enjoy it, as it offers some good laughs here and there, cute characters along with the animation, colors and effects which were great as well.

the songs were the highlight for me and i loved how they played with music genres instead of giving the same pop songs that you usually find in animation movies. I highly recommend this movie for the families, but i doubt the impact it's going to make with so many animation movies being released recently.
29 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids loved it!
yakkinvav30 September 2018
Took our daughters ages 7 and 3 and they loved it! I kind of thought LeBron would have more lines, but he didn't. Oh well.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Im the guy that watch Action, SCIFI etc but not cartoons ever
roganovic3 December 2018
When i was persuaded to watch i was pretty much against it. But as much as i dont like to be wrong this movie or cartoon or animation whatever... its amazing! Realy awesome , never thought i would say this. Only what i didnt like was a bit too much musicle scenes. But overall AMAZING! You must watch it ! TEN from me *10
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I SAW A SMALLFOOT TOO
davidepsteiniphone1 October 2018
Awesome awesome movie. A lot of fun, and funny too. I really liked the meaning the film communicates to the viewer of exploring interests and understanding the importance of protection and taking care of yourself to find the truth about what is in your best interest. A very powerful performance.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most satisfying movie this year for me
miss_jb18 October 2018
At first glance, I really thought it's just an average animation movie with adding adventure to the mix. But look between the surface, and you will enjoy every minute of it and getting surprise at how geniune the message they are trying to convey.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quality of the movie
farahalifarah2 October 2018
Funny cute what else is there to say.....uhmm the voices the picture quality everything seemed soo outstanding
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a fan
mamalbg29 September 2018
There wasn't anything WRONG with this movie , there just wasn't a lot to be excited about. No catchy songs , no characters any of the kids really cared about , nothing noteworthy really.

Add in some slightly religious undertones with the stones and how they can never be wrong and you get - meh. Went to a birthday party with seven kids aged 5-9. None of them liked this. None of the parents liked it past a couple laughs.

Danny Divito was really the only high point in this.

Wait for Redbox
22 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshingly.....
jamesnester-044382 December 2018
.... Different than Disney. (I feel Disney have a lot of sexual references) Lots of laughs to be had, casting was great. The actors superbly sang their songs. Was predictable but still looking forward to more WAG production
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The abominable human
Horst_In_Translation25 October 2018
Here we got "Smallfoot" and these slightly over 1.5 hours are one of the most talked about animated films of 2018. I have seen people include this one on their predictions list for the 2018 Oscar nominations in the Animated Feature list, even if it is not considered one of the two front runners that deal with dogs and superheroes. But back to this one here. Director is Karey Kirkpatrick and while it is only his third directorial effort (and only second in animation), he has been prolific in other fields of filmmaking for a long time and is indeed very experienced. It fits that he is also listed as a producer here and one of the many writers. The latter list also includes Sergio Pablos who wrote the book this film is based on. Well what can I say. All in all, I was disappointed. It is a tolerable film at best. I don't know if the translation was the problem as I watched the German dub, but several other fields did very little for me too. First of all, for a film taking place in a world of snow for 99% of its time I expect more breathtakingly beautiful shots to be honest. It comes very very short compared to Frozen for example in that department. As for the character animation, it was okay. I did like some of the supporting players, but the two protagonists, human and yeti, are very forgettable looks-wise. I guess that was the negative side from trying to keep them seem normal. But I did like many of the supporting yetis looks-wise if you want to call them that. But these looks could not make up for the weaknesses when it comes to elaborating on the characters. The best example there is the group of friends to our main character. Extremely forgettable to be honest and even his love interest feels really flat most of the time. Making her the main antagonist's daighter is not enough alone. Well, that's not true really. You keep wondering who the main antagonist is, the guy I just mentioned, the human, mankind as a whole or is there even a main antagonist? Actually, not really I would say.

Unfortunately the comedy comes short too. The jokes fall flat most of the time and the gimmicky characters cannot make up for it overall. And there is again these jokes with all kinds of stuff coming out of your bot that only work for so long and for very small audiences. The only thing I found pretty funny is when they show us how humans hear the way yetis are talking and the other way around. That was pretty funny indeed and reminded me by the way that it is not very different between humans and all kinds of animals, pets especially. This was a nice running gag I thought. But it was really the only aspect here that had me kinda laughing occasionally. And there were other components that made this ilm that were really bad to be fair. First of all, the size of the yetis compared to humans changed constantly throughout the movie. A crucial flaw that should not happen in a film of this caliber. By the way I keep saying yetisas they are no bigfoots, so the title makes only partially sense. Admittedly it is about the humans, so it kinda fits, but certainly they could have gone with a better title. Second problem is the film falls completely flat in terms of emotion. This is one of the most crucial areas in animation these days in my opinion and an absolute deal breaker, here for the negative side unfortunately. In addition, the film's message and explanations on how it may be better to replace the old for new knowledge and a better and more open approach to anything feels very forced and stereotypical almost looking at the challenges of our time. I also somehow felt the film constantly criticized the Bible and Christianity and Creationism, which was not to my liking at all and really should not be included in a film like this. Now about the ending. It is very typical for a film, not just an animated film these days, there was this big "all is lost" before the daughter goes again to find the human, but we all know there will be a perfect turn for the happy side again. And that's how it came. Sadlaý it had virtually nothing to do with realism again. They hate the yetis, try to capture them and 2 minutes later, they get closer and become best friends with the unknown. Like seriously? I did not buy it at all and the scene when they were cautiously moving closer to each other did not make it work at all. Just too much of a plot twist and all for the sake of a happy ending. Thanks but no thanks. I prefer realism instead, as much as realism is possible in a film about yetis. But hey if they can make speaking toys work, then they can do the same with yetis. Here they did not. I don#t think this should be nominated for an Oscar and give it a thumbs-down. Not recommended.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful little film
hmb-517781 October 2018
Went to see this because my weekend wasn't all that great. Figured it would just be a kids movie. No big.

Silly highjinks and bodily function humor.

I couldn't have been off by any more.

The kids will laugh.

They'll oh and ah at the fancifully world.

And us lucky adults get a story about friendship (natch) and what it means to be a part of your tribe. How do you best protect your loved ones.

And when is it best to be a trailblazer and when to two the line.

All this and cute character designs and smart plotting.

Definitely not to be missed.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heavy-handed political attack on Christianity
JonathanDQuatro26 October 2018
I saw the previews and expected a humorous riff on an old story, much like Monsters Inc. Instead, I got a blatant attack on Christianity and traditional values. I'm not exaggerating. The "bad guy" in the movie is the spiritual leader for the Yeti village who has a staff with GOD carved on it backwards, and who keeps the law and story of Creation written on stones (the Bible) and the entire movie is spent on tearing the stones down, until they are all thrown away in the end of the movie. The message of the film is "question everything", but it presents no answers. It presents the spiritual leader as a liar, and the secret resistance society (who believe all the stones are wrong and have strange symbols, including a subtle upside-down five-pointed star, carved on their cave wall) is presented as the heroes. Oh, and if that wasn't weird enough subject matter for a kids film, it veers into liberal political preaching, saying that the Yetis were there first and that the humans tried to commit genocide on them, and having their first contact with a human being with an orange-haired reality TV star. Oh, and the police are the bad guys, shooting Yetis without remorse and the film ending has them standing in a line with riot shields against the Yetis. It's a humorless, overlong, depressing, subversive, devious piece of brainwashing propaganda aimed at getting kids duped while they're too young to resist. Movie critics trash Christian films for being "too preachy", then praise this for "having a good message for kids." I was very disappointed that this is the world my kids are going to grow up in, where anti-God, anti-authority adults try to trick them by dressing up their message in a slick animated Yeti suit. Terrible movie.
14 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atheistic Propaganda
joshuasneel3 November 2018
The movie has an underlying theme of seeking truth which is not a bad theme. However it is pretty heavy laden with symbolism suggesting religion is nothing more than well intentioned deception. It presents a theme that there is no truth to be found in ancient texts (the stones) For a rational Christian, the films overall message is one big inherent contradiction
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Small Step For Songs, One Giant Need For More Time
rgkarim29 September 2018
Robbie K here with another review, this time hitting the latest animated movie to come into the big screen and help impress your little ones. While not Disney, tonight's first review offers the potential to teach, preach, and have your kids dancing in your seats as a new merchandising set debuts on the silver screen. What's in store? Read on to find out as I look over

Movie: Small Foot (2018)

Directors: Karey Kirkpatrick, Jason Reisig (co-director) Writers: Karey Kirkpatrick (screenplay by), Clare Sera (screenplay by) Stars: Channing Tatum, James Corden, Zendaya

LIKES:

Cute: Animated movies often take this approach, but Small Foot especially took the reins of selling the terrifying yeti as a cute, cuddly, anthropomorphized group that look fluffy and stylish at the same time. It's characters have that adorable round face, big shining eyes, and a happy, peppy attitude that feeds positivity to the audience around. As such, hearts will melt and smiles will shine bright as they watch the group come to life.

Animation: No surprise here, a big budget production from WB has fluid movement and articulated sequences that show off their computer work. Small Foot's design is also colorful, vibrant, and somehow a tribute to the fashion/culture of multiple ethnicities that represent their voice actors. I myself loved the styles of the yeti's and how chique their fur was structured to make them unique. Definitely not the most realistic, but it works.

Strong Messages: What would a kid's movie be without important life lessons and adult politics present to provide a double layered story? Small Foot is just that, working to teach the audience the importance of trust, the questioning of theories to pursue truth and make life better, bringing cultures together to make for peace, and a variety of other messages that the world can stand to learn. It's powerfully done, with all the magic thrown in to help bring the message to full light and let it fully settle in. Where other films are a little more subtle, Small Foot decides to just blare it full blast to get the message across, even promoting a few songs to teach the lessons.

Funny at times: I think this states it enough, but Small Foot attempts a lot of comedic styles to entertain all ages. Many of the running jokes are tributes to vine and internet videos that should be familiar to the modern era. Some are brilliantly timed, and others are included haphazardly, there to be funny for the kids alone. I myself like the cleverer references or clever wordplay, which there is actually a decent amount, so kudos to them.

Songs: While it seems the modern trend is to turn everything animated into a musical to get soundtracks out and money in. While that trend gets annoying at times, have to say that the music of Small Foot was very entertaining and fitting to the scenes that were designed with them. Beautiful, passionate songs led by Zendaya gave me the goosebumps and held such emotional fire to motivate your desire to learn new things, while the Corben's twist on Pressure was clever, fun, and humorous to break things up. Nevertheless, this would be a fun setlist to play in the car and one worth investing in.

DISLIKES:

Lacking The Disney Magic: We know there are plenty of reasons why this is the case, but for me Small Foot is lacking the same power that bigger budget productions hold. Small Foot may be cute, but it didn't push the boundaries of creativity, character cultivation or design. It's not bad by any means, and while there is some originality, all the pieces don't quite line up.

The Overdone Comedy: Again, I like many of the things this movie offers in terms of laughs, but Small Foot has difficulties with finding that balance between too much and too little. The movie loves beating running joke horses to death, while skimping on jokes that were more diverse and bridged multiple ages.

More Songs: Can't believe I'm saying this, but in truth, the movie actually needed a few more songs to round out the experience. Zendaya's song is amazing, but for me not so much to fashion most of the screen time songs around it. At least three different renditions were played during the film, plenty of opportunity for some of those more humorous songs to fill instead.

Character Usage/Development: Lots of voices, means lots of time management needs, and Small Foot does okay to some degree. The problem is, that they just don't integrate the characters as well as I think they could have done. So many potential plot points, hindrances, and obstacles could have been introduced to add more to the story, but musical theatrics and cuteness took over. Much more was needed on many fronts to really tie all the characters together and launch more stories to the mix. This is probably due to lower run time, which was appreciated, but perhaps will set up for some type of Netflix series.

THE VERDICT:

Overall, Small Foot is a fun ride that will appease the target audience easily enough. Music is fun, the jokes are a variety of references to get on board with, and it has that cute atmosphere you got from the trailers. And if you've got the little ones enjoy it with them, but realize this one doesn't quite have the magic behind it like it wanted. It's a little off balance, did not take the potential of developing characters, and needed more of the gimmicks to help give it that push it needed. So overall, most are going to either avoid or reserve this one for NetFlix/Redbox.

My scores are:

Animation/Adventure/Comedy: 7.0 Movie Overall: 6.0
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty serious message
tagy8 October 2018
The dark far out weighed the funny and cute. I went in blind and was taken back by the undertones.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
uninteresting
piamantey17 October 2018
This movie didn't touch me. The story is boring and the characters are not catchy enough. Only the Animation is amazing, but that is not enough to have fun with the whole family.
11 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.