Caged (2021) Poster

(I) (2021)

SIgh....
pensacolacomputer26 January 2021
Another trash Hollywood movie....Is Covid responsible? Or something else? Why does Hollywood keep pushing this garbage down our throats?

Movies have gotten SO BAD in the past year or so, I have started watching older movies from the 80s 90s and 2000s.....They are usually MUCH better and the actors can actually act in those movies...unlike the movies Hollywood is churning out lately...

WAKE UP HOLLYWOOD...Quit pushing your agenda on us
20 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THIS FILM DELIVERS...
Nora_taylor1 February 2021
Prison films are usually not my thing but this movie is so much more. I love to delve into the psyche and this movie gave a thoughtful and realistic view of a mind spiraling into insanity. The acting was superb and the writing was so realistic that I found myself immersed in the drama of life in solatary confinement. Gathegi's portrayal of the Harlow character was riveting. I found the closing scene very provacative, inspiring a conversation with varied interpetations of what happened to the character. I really enjoyed this film, and would recommend it to anyone who appreciates good entertainment with a thought provoking message.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AN EXCITING NEW VOICE
alex_pom1 February 2021
Thrilling, fast paced, and a very enjoyable watch are the first things that come to mind after viewing Caged. The cast is phenomenal. Gathegi's heart felt performance shoulders the dramatic weight of the film. Is Caged flawless, no. But... if you're a film fan looking to discover a talented new director, this film is one you should definitely see. The film is difficult to watch at times. In just under 90 minutes, the director makes a series of big choices that limits the perspective of the audience, creating a hypnotic atmosphere that's both claustrophobic and disturbing. Sticking to the protagonist's POV throughout film is bold, a decision that definitely makes this film seem fresh and unlike other prison projects. Would I have liked to see the supporting cast developed more, sure, though it would be a different movie, one I can't honestly say I'd be more excited to see. This seemed like a film with limited resources that cleverly leaned into a very relatable story about isolation. The filmmaker cultivated a legitimate sense of dread that stuck with me long after the credits rolled. I look forward to seeing what this director and his team do next.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought provoking movie. A must see
ana-888881 February 2021
Our family just watched Caged 2021 - didn't know what to expect, Wow, what an amazing and relevant movie. Makes a person stop and think about what injustices there are in this world. Sends a very powerful message and educates you about issues that you never knew existed.

What an impressive accomplishment by Director Fjellman. The credits on this movie show that he had several roles that made this movie so good, he was more than Director, he was obviously very passionate about the thought provoking content.

Really enjoyed this movie and can't wait to see what else this Director has in store next.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense
wymrlover31 January 2021
I feel this movie needs a trigger warning. This movie was so intense, I cried and now want to move forward with my psychology major for awakening of solitary confinement. This movie really hit me hard for justice!
8 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just waste of time
engmicheal28 January 2021
Very poor movie and absolutely doesn't worth anybody time to watch it
7 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The downward spiral
JoeHud27 January 2021
Here we watch a man go insane from being in solitary confinement too long, hoping to enter or return to general population by signing a written confession of his crime to the warden of all people.

Was there no budget to hire a consultant of any kind? Even people who rarely watch movies or pay attention to news articles understand the basics of incarceration... There's jail and there's prison. You do your sentence in prison, and you go to court from jail. If the sentences are shorter than 2-3 years, sometimes you do it in jail. This movie said our hero here was in SHU (segregated housing unit AKA the hole), which is exclusive to prison, as is the term general population. Somehow we are to believe he was sentenced directly to SHU in prison from jail, but none of this is explained. Also we see basically one single guard on duty the entire time, as if she doesn't sleep or go home, and dozens of other glaring inaccuracies I can't list without spoiling the plot.

Big meh.
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
had potential, didnt live up
williamkelly-1281028 January 2021
Had a decent amount of potential but nothing really happened , it had some bad CGI and some stupid jump scares totally not worth watching
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Advice for bad movie
shalesh1122 February 2021
U can see this movie in 10 minutes . Nothing there Just forward
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted concept
Ernesto_Caro16 February 2021
Good concept but unfortunately the execution wasn't as good, the jump scares are unnecessary and the female guard with the scar is very cartoonish, overall nothing happens in this movie and when it ends it feels like you're missing a ending better executed, what a shame, 2 stars for this movie.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptional Low Budget Drama
jollyjumpup18 April 2021
After watching this movie it was disheartening to read some of the harsh negative reviews here - obvious reactionary critiques venting general displeasure at Hollywood's current hunger for ultra low budget one location product as well as the overbearing influence of "woke" culture that has been embraced by all forms of media.

While recognizing that the woke movement has transcended its mission and become thoroughly annoying and that streaming platforms are cluttered with half-baked bargain basement productions, the fact that CAGED satisfies both of those agendas is a double plus rather than a negative.

Despite being low budget its production values are outstanding, from the cinematography to the acting, make-up efx, costumes and editing.

The director could not have done a better job. His creative camera angles and judicious use of exterior shots keep the oppressive subject matter from being more claustrophobic than necessary for the story. (He does a better job of that than master director Wajda did in Kanal!)

As for its missing the mark on prison reality, it's a movie not a documentary. The jailhouse lawyers condemning this movie because it doesn't match their personal experiences to a T need to lighten up, or make a prison drama of their own.

This is a very auspicious debut for a new director. Let's hope the know nothing critics don't slow him down.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edvis-199728 January 2021
Wel... I don't really know what I've just watched. It had bad visuals,pretty sad acting,it was impossible to understand plot line, sounding was bad. It's pretty bad start for 2021. The scariest thing is that on the right of film tittle it says I it means there will be second part for this trash. Don't watch it....It's useless movie.
3 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ugh could be so much more but it is just another drama movie
lord_cw30 January 2021
Ugh acting is OK but not much, the dramatic getting insane action is just too much, but it is a good build up. give an insight on how prisoners goes to drive insane especially when power is misused
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.