The Case for Christ (2017) Poster

It's better than I thought it would be
mandy-4832220 August 2017
Reading the reviews here before watching, I was pretty sure I would not like this movie. Well I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Most of the negative reviews are based not on the quality of the movie but based on the fact that those reviewers do not believe in God.

I myself doubt that God exists but to pan a movie simply for that reason makes no more sense than giving Star Wars one star because you do not believe in wookiees.
193 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better Christian movies
alex-93-6387549 September 2017
'The Case for Christ' dramatises Lee Strobel's journey from Atheism to Christianity. As you'd expect for someone who was not just an unbeliever, but scorned faith, it was not an easy ride. Predictably, many Atheists aren't going to like the movie, but I think it stands on its own merits. It is more biopic than apologetic and while a dramatisation, Strobels himself has said the movie is 85% accurate.

***Contains Spoilers***

It particularly focuses on his strained relationship with his wife. Strobels is a successful journalist, but this dynamic sends him into a tailspin and while he sets out to disprove his wife's faith, he also turns to alcohol and workaholism to cope. We see someone depicted as a loving husband and father, part of a loving family, start to fracture. I've heard something similar from a friend who went through the same thing when his wife became a Christian before he did and it felt like he was competing with another husband.

The spiritual aspects of the movie are pretty well handled. Scenes in which people pray don't feel awkward or contrived. Sermons are relevant and the whole thing comes across as authentic. Strobel's wife's more emotional journey to faith contrasts with his own.

A murder investigation is used as a foil for Strobels search for truth about Christ. As an investigative reporter he is portrayed as relentless, but he makes an error bias that gets a man jailed. It's meant to demonstrate both his doggedness in pursuing the truth but also his blind spots and challenges the viewer to see their own.

Along the way we do get apologetics, and on the whole it's handled well, I thought. It's definitely apologetics light, but it demonstrates that Christianity has rational grounds for belief and gives enough for anyone who's interested to investigate further. The overall impression given is of someone who's done his homework and been confronted by the credibility of Christianity. In the end Strobels has to make a step of faith, but as his Atheist mentor says (who is presented very sensitively - there were no 'angry atheists' in this), it's a step of faith either way.

One part that I thought may have been a little awkwardly handled was Strobels visit to a psychologist. He asks her about the hallucination theory, which she debunks (like most of Strobels questions, the answer is summarised rather than elaborated - it was already a 2 hour movie). However, she ends up confronting him about his father wound, which is another aspect of the movie. It didn't feel out of place but I can see how many Atheists will feel it was a little below the belt. But as portrayed in the movie, it is pertinent to Strobels' psyche.

Ultimately you could have changed the premise and this would remain a solid drama. Well constructed and well acted.
59 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simple but moving
alberthansa15 August 2017
One of the best Christian films for a very long time! I used to be an atheist too, so the spiritual struggle he went through is way too familiar to me. Personally it touched me very deeply. My advice to skeptics: guys, open your hearts then you will be able to see some wonderful things "hidden" from you for now. Many thanks to Mike Vogel, well done, brother!
95 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent and eye opening
tysonwpotter10 August 2017
The people saying Hollywood is exploiting Christianity should understand first, that not all Hollywood are non-believers. and two, this movie was produced out of Georgia, not Hollywood, and the executive producer is Lee Strobles himself. If you take an invested interest in the content in which this movie displays, you will find factual evidence. Im not a practicing Christian, and have many doubts, but this movie is compelling, informative and enlightening.
88 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most of the User Reviews are unrealistically positive
RuthlessGoat3 May 2017
I don't normally put user reviews in here as I review movies at a movie site and am an IMDb contributor. Out of the 22 User Reviews, 16/22 give this very transparent and mediocre film either 9 or 10 stars out of 10. There is no way that any objective viewer could consider this film any more that what it was, a poorly made soap-opera with an obvious religious agenda. Lee Strobel's book has been analyzed and exposed for quite some time now and there is no way around the fact that his book and sources are quite flawed and biased.

As far as the movie goes, it is being given a pass simply because it was not horrible like most of the other Christian films. The movie did not follow the book other than to show renditions of some of the interviews and there were logical fallacies galore. Personal opinion is not evidence and the movie, like the book, continued to commit one fallacy after another, especially Assuming Facts Not in Evidence. Along with the conclusions based on fallacies, this movie was just mediocre and pedestrian. Except for an acceptable effort from Vogel, the acting was wooden and unconvincing.

In the end, Lee Strobel was not driven to his knees by evidence, but by emotional blackmail and manipulation. There is really no reason for anyone to see this movie, believers or non-believers. It was simply not very good.
289 out of 553 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fair, Thoughtful, and Cinematic
mvmlego8 April 2017
"Christian" movies have a reputation of being artificial, unprofessional, and only appealing to those who are already indoctrinated. "The Case for Christ" breaks these stereotypes, delivering the best piece of Christian filmography that I've seen, as well as a good biographical drama by more general standards.

As mentioned, "The Case" avoids the pitfalls that the majority of Christian films fall into. It does not vilify atheists, make Christians appear impossibly pious, stuff the script with corny and unnatural dialogue (or significantly lack any other production quality), or contrive situations in order to "prove" Christianity (this is a biography, after all).

While the primary character, Lee Strobel, isn't a very nice person for most of the movie, he is no more flawed than most protagonists, and these flaws are never blamed on atheism, per se. Mike Vogel's portrayal of a man doing what he feels is best for his family and dealing with life's stresses, especially those that come from having one's worldview challenged, is genuine and moving.

I don't think many folks will come into the movie theater as skeptics and walk out as Christians, but I think the movie's producers were mature enough that that's not what they were intending or expecting. The movie likely won't answer all of a skeptic's questions (though the questions they do address are relevant, not straw men), but it answers enough of them that they should realize that (some) people do indeed have reasons for their beliefs.

Altogether, Christians and non-Christians alike should walk away from this movie with the desire to learn more, and they'll have experienced a good piece of cinema in the process.
119 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More proselytizing pablum
tjpierce-4567526 April 2017
Hollywood knows a cash market when they see one. They have learned that evangelicals will throw lots of money at anything that supports their beliefs and helps indoctrinate others, and so we're seeing these proselytizing flicks regularly.

What makes this one particularly loathsome is that the filmmakers hawk it as being based on the "hard-hitting" journalism of Lee Strobel. Well, they have a funny notion of "hard-hitting," since Strobel's book basically packages the essays of thirteen Christian academics, mostly from theological institutions. That's the sum of his "hard-hitting" research--letting readers be evangelized by believers.

It's not surprising, then, that the product of his work is unconvincing as anything approaching journalism, and that applies equally to the film. If you want an actual investigation into the historical Jesus, read the scholarly, On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt by Richard Carrier. The Kindle version costs about the same as a movie ticket and your intelligence won't be insulted for your trouble.
241 out of 489 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Good Movie
guitarzxt30 April 2017
Prepare yourself for this shock: This is a Christian movie, and it is ACTUALLY GOOD! I expected this movie to be like other Christian movies, with cookie-cutter black-and-white characters which portray atheists as awful and heartless people and the hero as someone who can do no wrong. This movie was not that way. The characters are real and the roles are acted really well. There are also no cheesy conversions like in a lot of Christian movies. Everything seemed authentic. This is actually a good movie. I'm not saying it was good for a Christian movie, it was actually a good movie as far as all movies are concerned.
71 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most unscientific evidence you can look for
Jadamwood19 April 2017
As a former Christian, I can see how this movie is appealing to the Christian audience because it gives them a victory in their eyes.

From a film-making perspective, it is quite boring, unimaginative, offers little evidence for the "case" for Christ and is simply unconvincing. Of all Christian based films "PUREFLIX" has came up with, this takes the cake for simple boredom and eye twitching nonsense.

Spoilers to follow: It is a case to disprove the Christian faith that backfires into the atheist becoming a Christian. Here is the problem: The only evidence mentioned was there's a lot of copies of the new testament. Witnesses 500+ say they saw Christ after the crucifixion. A medical doctors opinion is that if he were to be treated as stated in the bible that he would definitely die.

All of this information and a music montage at the end of the film changes him to be a full on believer.

Atheists like myself tend to be more scientific and continue asking questions unlike this movie's portrayal of a angry, daddy issues riddled, drinker, bad father who tells his daughter what to think (when he wasn't), as well as a person who accepts minimal circumstantial evidence.

Things not brought up in this movie as an argument against god. The virgin birth Miracles: healing the sick, the blind, bringing dead back to life. Reconciling these supernatural occurrences with reason and science. Other than saving his daughter from an evil noodle at a restaurant, why god does nothing to help the others in suffering. 5000+ children a day who die from starvation, disease, etc.

The movie chocks god up to be a teacher who's only lesson is love and as a human of science, our main character is supposed to accept that given the experiential evidence and the world's evidence of "god is either impotent, evil, or imaginary. Take your pick, and choose wisely."- Sam Harris

The movie in general offers fluff and sad stories to make you bend your knees to a god who is one of those 3. It is a low blow for them to reference famous atheistic philosophers and scientists and say they had daddy wounds which makes it no coincidence that they cannot accept "the Father". One can make the argument that those who have daddy wounds tend to gravitate to Christianity because they didn't have a father to love them.

Anyone who watches this film for evidence or maybe a change of heart, to change their mind about Christianity will fail to find it. Christian's will feel validated and atheists will sitting their laughing. The movie is really biased and portrays anyone who isn't a Christian as a lost soul or has mental issues dealing with loss or parents. It just comes off absurd and ignorant of reality.
183 out of 380 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Facts substantiated by emotional beliefs and arguments.
bluesquirrel20048 May 2017
There are three main story-lines intertwined in this movie. 1. The husband/wife relationship between Lee and Leslie Strobel 2. Lee Strobel's attempt to debunk his wife's newly found faith 3. The imprisonment of an innocent "cop killer"

All story lines were superficial and not well intertwined.

I found the notion of arguing semantics and facts about a man who lived over 2000 years ago, who may or may not have been the son of "God", extremely frustrating. A debate on the existence of fairies would use the same methodology to confirm their existence.

In the end, there was no hard and fast fact, rather a highly emotional leap formed from the increasing pressure Lee was facing due to his marriage problems, falsely and publicly accusing an innocent man of attempted murder, and mental and emotional burnout from researching his "Existance of Christ" issue.

There was no clear "Case for Christ". Just a disappointing and poorly wrapped ending.
99 out of 201 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must watch
carolrmag31 August 2017
The acting is good, the plot is compelling and keeps interesting all along.

It is a must see both for believers and non believers. I never understood why the possibility of existing a man that taught about love and forgiveness would cause so much hate. The bad reviews are clearly written by people which hate the idea of Jesus.

For the non-believers, this movie brings a chance to doubt yourself and your beliefs, which is always a positive thing, because, if your truth remains the same, at least you know about the subject and that makes your testimony truer.

For the believers, I am one and I have had my times of struggle with faith, as I am sure most Christians have had. Even if you always believed with no doubt in your heart, you will learn impressive things with this movie.
49 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unconvincing case
TheLittleSongbird10 October 2017
This is not coming from an atheist or somebody particularly religious, though finds the Bible and its stories fascinating. This is coming from someone who loves film of all genres and decades, would see anything with an open mind and an intent to judge it on what it set out to do and wanted to see as many films from 2017 as possible.

2017 has been a mixed bag for film, with some good and more films, some disappointing and less films and some that fall somewhere in between. 'The Case for Christ' is not among the year's very worst but is in the bottom half of the quality spectrum to me. It is understandable why atheists would hate it with a passion, though some here have to me not expressed their feelings very well, but it is my feeling that it's not only atheists who will dislike 'The Case for Christ'. Critics were very mixed on it themselves and it is also my feeling that even the converted will find themselves preached at.

Coming from a non-atheist and as said someone not particularly religious, 'The Case for Christ' did come over as too heavy-handed and one-sided and like it was trying too hard to appeal to Christians and the converted. There are a lot of theories presented here but these theories are little more than strongly put and theories masquerading as fact, that talk at you bombastically rather than provoking thought, with very little that holds weight to back it up. The bogus scientific elements too strain credibility to an unbelievable degree, science is practically re-invented here so scientific experts are another group that will find the film hard to swallow. In short, 'The Case for Christ' has a script that does mean well and tries, and sometimes succeeds, in being sincere, but tends to be uninspired and patronising.

When it comes to the storytelling, 'The Case for Christ' never rises above superficial level. A few good, if familiar, ideas but never fully explored and cranks up the sentimentality to the point the sweetness and sugar makes one nauseous and the sentimentality is hard to stomach. Some of it is ludicrous too. The pace is dull and meandering, the music is forgettable at best and the direction has flashes of inspiration but is mostly blandly workmanlike.

For all those problems, 'The Case for Christ' is not all bad. It looks pretty good and slick, handsomely shot and nicely mounted. It's particularly striking in how the look and feel of 1980 Chicago is captured, and the film does that very well. The acting is pretty decent, despite the awkward dialogue and thinly drawn characters, with the best performances coming from Faye Dunaway and particularly Mike Vogel.

Not all the material is a disaster. The insights of the extent to which religion still shapes popular and political thinking in the United States and how are actually interesting and well argued. It is a pity that everything else in the writing fails to convince.

In summary, will be, and has been, very controversial for understandable reasons on both sides. Apart from a few good things and some intrigue and sincerity, it is very sad to say that 'The Case for Christ' had a case that didn't convince me and didn't do much for me. 4/10 Bethany Cox
49 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Boils Down To One Thing
sdebeaubien6 October 2017
Yeah, everything I write probably has spoilers in it, so I checked the box.

Let me cut to the chase though: It all boils down to the Resurrection: Either it happened or it didn't. If it didn't, as the Apostle Paul says in the Book of 1 Corinthians (First Corinthians, for those who don't read the Bible normally):

"If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied."

1 Corinthians 15:19

What he's saying, is what's pointed out to Lee Strobel by a Christian who he works with in his office. This is the insight that provides the impetus for Lee's entire struggle and search to debunk Christianity. He figures if he can succeed, where so many have tried and failed, then he will have proved Christians to be the most pitied of all people, since they are worshiping a dead god.

However, try as he will, he cannot find the evidence to dispute either the biblical accounts, or the extra-biblical sources he consults to try to weaken the Bible's eye-witness testimony. Josh McDowell set out similarly to disprove Christianity, and found that the evidence is not only irrefutable, but that it is sufficient, in a court of law to prove that Jesus is who He says He is - the Son of God (Evidence That Demands A Verdict)!

So, contrary to all the atheists who post garbage on here, and probably most of whom never even went to see the movie, I found myself intrigued, and my faith strengthened.

Remember, faith is not, as Google says based on "Spiritual apprehension or feelings" rather it is a certainty, based on evidence presented that we can believe something to be true, even without knowing or seeing the power at work within it, or having been there at some previous historical moment to see something happen with our own eyes.

We stand on the earth, yet we (most of us) have no idea how gravity works, nor do we care that it is invisible and we cannot see it. We KNOW it's there, and we have faith it will hold us down. I know that's not quite the same thing in this example, since we are talking about spiritual realities, but remember, Jesus came - to prove to us that He is real, and that He is God. He, Himself, told Pontius Pilate that He came "To testify to the truth". And that is the truth.
32 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic movie full of compelling facts about historicity of Jesus Christ as well the deep and loving bond between spouses...
frmark-4874828 August 2017
Beyond the excellent presentation of material to support the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, this true story about Lee Strobel's marriage being on the brink of ending because of his wife's faith in Christ was another gripping dimension to the plot. Their intimate talks about faith and how Christ was deepening their love for each other through their investigation of faith is astonishingly well acted and deeply moving. At the heart of their relationship is the demonstration of how Christ divides, then unites, whereas the Evil One only divides. You could not ask for a happier ending than when Lee finally surrenders to the truths about Christ that he uncovers after two long years of research... I LOVE THIS FILM!
39 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sadly lacking in any real discourse
lthrmstr4 August 2017
Sorry, but no. This film may be based on one man's conversion, but his arguments, like the book, are based more on feelings and suppositions rather than fact or evidence. It is precisely because of this dishonesty, for lack of a better term, that the film fails.

Credibility is key when arguing the affirmative on belief, the problem here is that there is none. Again, like the book, the film meanders between emotion and assumption, not on the actual debate in question. Further, it insults the viewer's intelligence by glossing over massive loopholes regarding the Biblical Christ's existence; and further, makes no effort to validate its position with facts. Bottom line, while the actors do an admirable job of playing their roles, the fact remains, they can't save a film whose very premise is so tenuous and dubious.

One final note, like others have noted, these religious films are becoming more strident in their propaganda bent. They're not offering an argument or even a discussion, it's more an attempt to muddy the waters between legitimate searches for truth through science and facts versus feelings, fears and guilt.
92 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it made me realize how incredibly weak the arguments in favor of Christ's life, death, and resurrection are
iain-997-7253081 August 2017
If Lee Strobel was ever an atheist, it certainly doesn't show in this book. As other critical reviewers have suggested, he constructs here what amounts to an easily-vanquished stalking horse of straw -- not a substantive argument of real skepticism. After cherry picking easy fly balls and grounders from what could have been much more challenging intellectual terrain, the author uncritically consults ONLY professional advocates and apologists for Christianity, and then repeats their arguments. He -- and they -- accept the words of the synoptic gospels "verbatum" as accurately reflecting the preaching, message, and claims of Jesus of Nazareth.

A liar.
92 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whether You Believe or Not Believe in Jesus. Watch it with open heart
iamsahilsunny20 November 2017
It is a story of an individual who was living his life as an atheist and tried his best to prove that the resurrection of Jesus is a myth. But failed to do so due to overwhelming historical evidence and a praying wife.

"A new heart I will give you, and a new spirit I will put within you; and I will remove from your body the heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh." -Ezekiel 36:26 (NRSV)
34 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful, a deeply personal story
camille-eide13 April 2017
When an entire theater breaks into spontaneous applause at the closing credits, it's probably a film I'll want to recommend. And see again.

The title (if you somehow haven't heard that 'The Case for Christ' is the title of a best-selling book) might make a viewer think the film is some kind of documentary.

This is no documentary, but rather an intense, gut-wrenching drama. Based on a true story, an award-winning investigative journalist and self-proclaimed atheist sets out to disprove the existence of God after his wife becomes a Christian.

Lee Strobel's passion and drive will resonate with anyone who has ever felt determined to be vindicated. I genuinely sympathized with this man as he worked hard to gather evidence and disprove Christ's resurrection. Strobel is logical to a fault, and to this viewer, logic is his — and the film's — strength, ironically. I applaud the filmmakers for letting us follow Strobel at every turn and allowing us to see what he discovers at every angle and crossroads of his investigation, through the eyes and mind of a man driven (and earning a living) to believe nothing but instead "check it out."

The writing and acting are superb—professional on par with Hollywood. L. Scott Caldwell (Alfie) was genuinely convincing as the "happenstance" heroine who suddenly plays a pivotal role in the Strobels' life and future. Christensen (Leslie) and Vogel (Lee) quite naturally give dimension and heart to a couple that could be real— and just so happen to be. We (I speak for the entire theater, I think) loved them instantly.

The acting and writing also offer a refreshing break from 'Us Against Them' faith-based storytelling. There is no atheist/Christian stereotyping here—just a family who loves each other struggling with a sudden cross-purposed core dimension added to their life. Conflict intensifies as the couple's opposing beliefs become unavoidable. Powerfully genuine. Powerfully emotional.

And powerfully true.

It's a deeply personal story, one that can't help but touch every viewer on some level. If you're not a Christian, be prepared to process some mind- blowing, indisputable facts. If you're a believer, be prepared to hear evidence of Christ's resurrection you may not have known.

This is not a faith film that preaches (to the choir or anyone else), uses unnatural dialogue, or tiptoes around the rawness of reality— the weakness, self-indulgence, and resentment humans are so capable of, believer or not. There is without question a need for clean, wholesome, family-safe, faith- friendly storytelling, and I don't mean to say that this film is not clean or appropriate for family viewing. But it is also not a story created for the sake of offering a well-meant but sometimes inferior alternative to Christian viewers. This is a gutsy detective story that takes an unrestrained pickax to Christianity's core root in an attempt to uncover truth and and comes away with not only a love of truth intact, but something far, far more precious. It will move, entertain, and leave viewers breathless. And applauding.

10 stars, Highly recommended.
43 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Christian exploitation movie I have ever seen.
puggydad2 August 2017
As a Christian it is becoming very apparent that exploitation of Christianity is big bucks. This movie made no sense and the plot is so ridiculous that a 5 year old could not find convincing. Just horrible. If you are a Christian, as I am, please stop watching movies such as this that only debase our religion and allow others to make fun of us. Stop funding Christian exploitation movies. Tell Hollywood your tired of their ridicule. Don't spend a dime to watch this piece of film crap.
62 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie worth watching!
sugoisteve6 April 2017
Worth watching for believers and unbelievers. A life changing testimony based on a true story! :) I will watch this movie again with some friends. God bless Pure FLix and God bless Lee Strobel and the others who come to faith in Christ (II Peter 3:9). Bring your friends, believers and unbelievers, to watch this movie and you will be transformed. God bless you all!
59 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Honest and Sincere
chuckinjax14 April 2017
This move takes a very honest and sincere look at a young man's struggle with what he believes after his wife was saved. It doesn't beat you over the head, nor does it try to paint anyone in a bad light. The quality of the film and the acting were excellent. This was NOT your traditional Christine movie. The movie flowed well and it did not feel like a melodrama. I would highly recommend this movie to everyone.
49 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A better title would be Why I like Christ
wigglytoes13 September 2017
I rented this in the hopes that it would be a thoughtful examination of why some people believe in the existence of Christ and others do not. Nope. It's really just an essay on what this one guy believes. Never looking at any opposing view, or even looking critically at his own 'evidence.' For example it starts (spoiler ahead) with a classical case of if God wasn't here a rescue wouldn't have happened. But they don't consider that if God exists then he made the rescue necessary in the first place.
47 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruthless is truthless
jry34514 April 2017
This was a well-done and moving film, and an enjoyable film. I think you will like it, if you are Christian, open-minded about Christianity, or interested in Christian apologetics. The book focused more on apologetics, the film focuses more on Strobel's conversion from atheist to believer. If you don't like Christian films then you probably won't like it, but then again the title of the film is an ample indication of the message behind it.
39 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent, thought provoking, well acted and produced
jimfromsoundwaves16 April 2017
As a former atheist that had a very similar experience as Stroble, (the man the film is based on) I found this film to be refreshingly good considering most " Christian " films I've seen stink.

What I loved about the film is that it didn't get bogged down in the " investigation " but showed the reality of someone struggling with a very difficult decision and the tension it can cause with loved ones and colleagues. Although the pursuit of " the truth " can be daunting - it doesn't happen in a vacuum, this film brilliantly depicted Strobel's painful journey while simultaneously navigating family and career life.

Lastly, it showed the not so pretty side of world views colliding in a marriage and how that can be so challenging. Not to fear though, it has a great resolution and is very inspirational regardless of one's spiritual convictions.
41 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Christian Movie I've Ever Seen - Great Interactions Depicting Conversation Between a Converted Spouse and an Atheist Spouse
iicapncrunch13 April 2017
I don't mind saying upfront that I'm biased towards any portrayal of Christianity that isn't cheesy, paranoid, sentimental, etc. The strength of the movie is not its apologetic in my opinion though, in its "Case for Christ." That would be too much to ask of a movie like this - the movie introduces thoughts that are great starting points toward Christian theism. That apologetic part is OK, but very much an introduction. See, I am judging the movie as a Christian. There are answers to the apologetic questions it raises in much more detail than can be done in a movie versus a documentary/educational film - the book is worth having. So to knock the movie, like user Ruthless Goat, as filled with fallacy after fallacy, is just as "ruthlessly" subjective a statement as he wants to accuse the movie/book of being. There are better apologetic books out there than The Case for Christ, but it's still good. The best part of the movie is the dilemma created by his wife's belief and the interaction between the two of them. It felt real. I thought Vogel and Christensen did an excellent job. Except for the ending, Vogel remained very believable throughout. I really enjoyed it. I think this will raise the bar for Christian movies. They should have been doing biography all along I guess.
38 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.