The Lion King (2019) Poster

(2019)

3,015 Reviews
Disney ran out of original ideas
alincalinpos5 May 2021
I don't understand the need to remake every original title into something "different" but different in the worse way possible. It's capitalizing on the fact that lion king is popular and is using that to draw audience in. Everything that made the original Lion King the masterpiece that it is is incomplete in this one or entirely missing..
Hakuna Matata!
BrnzReviews3 May 2021
I wasnt sure how to feel about this movie as alot of these live action movies are just for the money but I did enjoy watching this in the cinema. It sure did bring back a lot of childhood memories of the animated one and you can definately see the similarities between the two films, an amazing watch for sure.

Everyone loves The Lion King, whether you're a man or a boy, a woman or a girl, you'll love this film like you loved the original.

Highly recommend you check this movie out!
Great take on a classic
dianamarinelli1 May 2021
Well I think the original is better this one is not bad. Great story but I was disappointed of how they didn't do the one liners but overall not bad.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch the original instead and don't waste your time
linasjoen27 April 2021
Thought it was the original movie at first and couldn't understand why it only had 6.6 stars. Quickly realized and changed my 10/10 to 2/10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So stupid go watch the cartoon
ivar-0952925 April 2021
Zero nostalgia, they got rid of some of the one liners.
Very good
dannythomas-1184721 April 2021
Disney you've done a marvelous job! The CGI is stunning and so life-like which makes add to the entertainment factor. James Earl Jones' voice is as good as ever and dare I say better than in the original. I also liked Chiwetel Ejiofor's voice a tad more than Jeremy Irons'(still his was priceless) because Chiwetel Ejiofor voice sounds more evil and menacing which matches scar's character perfectly. But I think that's where the strengths of this movie ends. Other voice actors like Beyonce, Donald Glover just weren't it. They lacked expressions and now that I'm talking about expressions, the characters like Simba and scar simply couldn't provide enough emotion because of the lack of facial expressions which cannot be blamed on Disney though, because afterall they were going for realistic visuals and lions don't grin or smile as they do I'm the cartoon world, so I guess I can't complain there. The next issue I had was also the most annoying and heartbreaking. They ruined the characters Timon and Pumbaa! They were funny I'm the original and in the remake they amped up the jokes so much they turned out to be unfunny. The last thing where the original showed it's superiority were the songs. The songs sounded better to me I'm the original but that may be just me. So the original was better but better doesn't mean the remake is bad. This "live-action" lion king was pretty enjoyable and after all it is the lion king, of course it can be enjoyed.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm Not Like The 1/10 Ratings But
dudeguy-2953620 April 2021
This Lion King movie is a live action remake from the original from 1994. Basically everyone's favorite Disney movie.

There's no point on telling the story, it's all rehashed from the original movie. Not much to say other than the small changes. Mainly from certain scenes like when the hyenas called Pumbaa chubby instead of a pig where it was actually funny and the whole scene of this disgusting ball thing getting, ok never mind. We also hear Pumbaa say "And then I got downhearted everytime that I farted" during the "Hakuna Matata" musical number. The story is rehashed and it's does it fairly.

The animation looks very realistic and captures nice shots of the live action footage in Africa. The lions and other animals do have very realistic designs, but they are definitely too realistic and as everyone says they do lack emotions. You can't really feel a character much in this movie since they don't show any emotion here. Also Pumbaa looks kind of bad, he's not even close to his colors and, he looks kind of scary for younger kids.

The voice acting alright I guess. Nothing special at all and sounds less like the original. Yet Mufasa's voice actor did reprise his role surprisingly and I honestly wasn't expecting his return for a live action remake, which kind of ruins the whole point, but I don't know honestly. It seems strange. Simba and Nayla sound good. Zazu sounds okay I guess. Scar sounds a little below meh. Pumbaa's voice is probably the worst though, he sounds too far from Ernie Sabella. Timon sounds fine. The hyenas sounds okay. And Rafiki is fine as well. The voice acting is all just meh.

The songs have really good instrumental, but the singing honestly sucks even for the voice actors. The songs sound nothing like the first film unfortunately, especially Hakuna Matata, my favorite song and sounds totally off with the new singing. These are great songs with poor performances sadly.

The Lion King remake is all just meh to me. Not good or really THAT bad, I mean they atleast didn't change the story like they did in Dumbo with Tim Burton as the director and the animation definitely goes live action. But it's definitely full of flaws thag downgrade the experience.

Story: 7/10 Animation: 5/10 Voice Acting: 5/10 Soundtrack: 3/10 Overall: 5/10.
Stunning graphic
superartstudio18 April 2021
Wish we could see this kind of graphic in games. Anyway, one minus star for music, one for Scar's meaningless confession, and one for a question "why there were less grass when grass animals were preyed"?
Classic
pemfgi18 April 2021
This is a great classic. I'm glad they made an updated version that my children can love. Perfect for nostalgia combined with entertaining your kids.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and honestly no where near the original
shonenking-4292118 April 2021
There is nothing more I can say than what's been said before. The original was a cult classic than still holds up today. This will likely be forgotten.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i cried while the whole movie
Gogo33617 April 2021
I watched it about more than 20 years ago (the catoon one). I love both. Very great. Just amazing. One of the best movies. I just cried and laughed for 2 hours. Thank you disney. Childhood memories <3.
Visually stunning
Marieke_dejong8417 April 2021
Visually stunning but that's about it.

This movie lacks the heart the original has.

The two main characters don't have chemistry and it sounds like they are just reading the lines instead of feeling the lines.

It's an ok movie but i recommend the original version!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Same as the original but worse
kyirahartley16 April 2021
There's nothing new here. It's the original movie but made with less care and attention to emotional scenes. The visual effects are done well, but almost to a fault.

I always cry when I watch the original but I felt nothing while watching this.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funnier than what got released in 1994!!!!
stephenchase-6350416 April 2021
The funniest sequence is "Hakuna matata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Terrible cast
who_got_game12 April 2021
Seriously Beyoncé and Donald Glover. Boooooo what a terrible cast.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Lion King: A Brilliant realistic movie.
Aditya_Prakash9 April 2021
Thoroughly enjoyed this film. This was such a good remake of the original version . The cast and the music of the movie was incredible. The film is pretty much exactly the same as the original with new amazing graphics. The story of movie seems very realistic and emotional. The imagery of the movie was beautiful and nothing like anything I've seen before. Disney gives us a beautifully animated remake of their already perfected original 'The Lion King'. The animation just revamps the original even more on its own, but the incredible and diverse cast take the extra step that is needed. The soundtrack is nostalgic and brings back all of the excitement of the original. The visual effects were WOW! Really wonderful work and the interaction between the animals. I feel this movie benefits from its live action. This movie applies from the cartoon version, represent through live-action. Scar looks more menacing, and you do get emotional and a heart warming sensation when watching because you see how an animal would actually look like when happy or sad. Also the sound and voices was awesome. Every character of this movie was full of emotions .It was fantastic hats off to all who worked on this movie.

I would highly recommend this movie to everyone.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
CGI doesn't equal live action
ahtoste8 April 2021
The only life in this "live action" are the plants. I've also seen more expressive CGI animals on low budget TV shows with a tenth of the budget Disney hemorrhaged for this heartless cash grab. They literally only made this to keep the copyright on the Lion King property.
THIS IS A DIAGRACE
blackpanther-929117 April 2021
This film takes everything you loved about the original and takes it away also all the atmosphere is alot darker than the original which is completely the opposite of what the original did. It also takes all the fun characters such as Timon and Pumba and make them into these boring unenjoyable characters. At the end of the day it made everything that made the original such a masterpiece and turns it into this abomination of a film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unentertaining way of being brought to life.
tombtim6 April 2021
This film absolutely EXCELS when it come to the visuals. But that's all. I would compliment some of the voice acting but it doesn't match with the facial expressions or emotions, plus Scar sounds like Kermit the Frog. This film is pretty much just a group of people that got together and did an effort voice over for an animal documentary. Doesn't even live up to half of what the original Lion King was.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great effects but no magic
howard4906 April 2021
The special effects are amazing and I appreciate that they stuck to the original storyline. However, it is painfully obvious that Disney was more focused on being "woke" and slotting A-list celebrities for the cast, rather then finding the perfect people to fill each roll. In the end you're left with amazing visuals but unconvincing voiceovers.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprised by the bad reviews
rawisnwo6 April 2021
Quite an impressive achievement. I didn't recognize most of the voices outside of James Earl Jones and Seth Rogan.

Many say this one lacks heart but I felt much more emotional watching this, especially the scenes between Simba and Mufasa. I did miss some of the humor between Scar and Zazu and the hyenas from the original that was cut, however they added a lot of visually pleasing sequences that make up for that. This version has a more sombre tone and it is effective. Oddly enough, I have read some people loved the Aladdin remake whereas I did not care for it (outside of Will Smith's performance).

Go in with an open mind and give it a chance.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Souless piece of trash !
vinkumst5 April 2021
Absloutely no depth. Completely ruins the Epic sense of Awe and valiancy that the Original 1994's THE LION KING had. Such a shame !
I cried when Mufasa died. 😢
meydiana-652424 April 2021
The Lion King being my favorite animated Disney movie, I've watched it many times as a kid, as an adult and shared it with my kids.

I'm not sure what people mean when they say it lacks heart? Yes it's the same story, same scenes etc. But it's a remade version, which you can tell Disney was very careful with. When Alice in Wonderland came out, I was hoping and excited for The Lion King. More live action movies released and I know it was only a matter of time.

This movie is fantastic. Not since Avatar have I been blown away by the visuals. Disney did such a good job on the animations, the animals move realistically, they look realistic and if animals could talk, this is how they would look while talking. A lot of people are hating on this movie to be part of the crowd, I give this 5 stars because the story wasn't changed, the CG is seriously mind blowing, the soundtrack was done in justice, it's darker than the animated original and it was pretty action filled.

I feel this movie benefits from its live action. Scar looks more menacing, and you do get emotional and a heart warming sensation when watching because you see how an animal would actually look like when happy or sad. Maybe the negative reviews were from people who don't have any pets?

This is a must watch, and sits next to some of the best movies I've ever seen.
Unoriginal
thadesoben30 March 2021
Nothing is as well done or good as the original. Just feels like another lazy forgettable cash grab for Disney.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't know about the remake of the Lion King.
maxtheblackbear29 March 2021
I am a massive Disney fan but I don't think I like this movie. I'm glad that Earl Jones returned as Mufasa! But some of the original cast did not. Timon and Pumbaa's voice actor did not return which upsetted me. I kind of hate the character's new looks in the movie. I get this is supposed to be realistic but they should of fixed the characters's appearances. The background characters's appearances are fine but the main characters don't look the same.