The Lion King (2019) Poster

(2019)

1,979 Reviews
Shocking flat. Lacked any emotion. Completely overhyped
rupalikespie29 July 2019
The CGI in this is incredible, it's mesmerising and beautiful. But that's all it is, is beautiful cgi, they've completely lost sight of the story, the emotion and the magic. It's so boring, the focus has been so much on keeping this photo realistic, that everything else has been forgotten about. They've cut numbers, when Mufasa dies you feel nothing because the characters aren't showing any emotion and none of the acting is convincing. Really badly cast. The fur is so intricate, especially the attention to detail when it get's wet, it's very very telling where the money has gone from the get go.
318 out of 424 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WHY...WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THE VOICES!!!
fightsense30 July 2019
Another Hollywood smack in the face, great animation with so much promise until the characters started talking, the new actor replacements were HORRIBLE! NO emotions in the voices NOTHING...NOTHING! ZERO emotion, as if these actors didn't care or were just reading there lines in a room by them selves. This was just a travesty, a classic... RUINED by terrible acting , TERRIBLE Direction, just HORRIBLE! WHO the HELL made these decisions??!! With the very few dialog add ons WHY would you re cast WHY????? Why would you remove Jeremy Irons as Scar?? WHY??? Why would you put emotionless actors as Simba, Nala etc.. Yes Beyoncé was not good not at all, no emotions just terrible and ruined the original music. Seth Rogan was ok, yeas just Ok not close to as funny as the original Pumba.. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!
70 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotionless with little to no characterization
buchofire3 August 2019
Scar was stripped of his vile yet humorous characteristics we saw on his face and body language in "Be Prepared" from the 1994 animation. Beyonce was a complete joke. Sure, her musical talent showed well in the songs, but her lines otherwise throughout the movie fell flat. When I walked out of the theater I basically summed it up with my own one word description...The Lion King has now been, "National-Geograhicallized." It was a less than stellar performance and subpar to the original 1994 film.
64 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What?!
jamilesk8 August 2019
What a waste! Miss Elton John and the whole original movie. Beyonce ruined the movie!
18 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruined the music
gries3829 July 2019
Felt like a corporate movie and they know people will go see it on name alone, and they ruined the music. Not sure they realized the music was the best part. Songs felt like when an artist oversings the national anthem. The songs were great originally and felt like they were trying too hard.
86 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Looks so good, has no heart.
terry-4609620 July 2019
The movie is adequate, that's not good enough for this live action though. Lion King is a masterpiece story that has been celebrated for years for its emotional and timeless value. This version falls really short. The voice acting is flat the tone is wrong and there is little to no emotion felt during a very slow boring few hours.

The only highlight in my opinion is Seth Rohan and Billy Eisner. Past that? A very forgettable and hollow version of the story.

Oh and Beyoncé over sings everything.
720 out of 1,005 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No soul.
menzoderks21 July 2019
The original Lion King is one of my favorite movies of all time and if you feel the same I'd recommend you to never watch this remake. Now let me explain how this movie is completely ruined.

1. Characters have no facial expressions - So in the original if you just turned off the sound you'd still be able to understand what's going on as the body language and facial expressions were a big part of what brought these characters to life. In the new film simba looks like a real lion and similar to a real lion he has zero facial emotion. This is true for all the characters.

2. The voice acting is horrible - everyone talks incredibly unemotional and SLOW. These actors have likely been told in production to do so as otherwise it would have looked weird for these animals to move their mouths so fast. Even Mufasa's voice is far slower and less emotional while it's still the same voice actor. They really talk half the speed and have odd pauses in their dialogue. Emotion is gone entirely.

3. Clever jokes and small exchanges are not in this movie - Because characters talk so slowly they can't say as much. Therefore all small jokes and clever exchanges are left out. A few are kept in, but fall flat as the timing is off now. For instance when in the original Simba and Nala go to the elephant graveyard the hyena have all these fun exchanges and they are left out in this movie, Instead we get 2 hyenas that are particularly unfunny...

4. The songs are ruined - In the original movie, songs bend real physics and reality to give an expressive montage that was visually stunning. Here they just walk or jog a bit.Then a few other animals might appear, but that's about it. Songs are also played at a slower tempo which in itself ruined all the momentum out of the song.

5. Simba is unlikable - Before simba flees away from pride rock you feel his character is a bit reckless and a bit cocky, but he is also brave and has the characteristics of a leader as he protects others. In the elephant graveyard he stands up for Zazu (while he does not even like zazu) saying the hyena's should pick on somebody their own size. When he and nala then have to run for their lives nala is falling behind. Simba then runs back and saves her by scratching Shenzi. These 2 things do not happen in the remake, which make simba a cocky guy only caring about the power he will get as a king. In the second half you'll start to wonder if he really should be king.

6. Filler scenes - There are a few additonal scenes or things that are dragged out that give zero character development and do not bring new information at all. You'll notice these scenes in the film, but to give 1 example I'll tell the one that's the least spoilery. Remember that mouse that scar grabs under his hand in the beginning? You see him run up to the camera, wash his nose and BAMN. Scar has him under his paws. In the remake we see this mouse crawl for a whole minute. Why?!? Later in this movie there is something that took the original 5 seconds too, but here takes 2 minutes! They're are really struggling to make the movie 1 hour and 50 minutes, whereas I do not think it's necessary at all and they could have just made a movie of 1 hour and 25 minutes as the original was.

This movie has no soul and leaves a bad taste towards the original.Disney has lost all it's credibility and respect it still had left by making this atrocious movie.
234 out of 318 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney, WHAT. HAVE. YOU. DONE
diana-steau31 July 2019
Just to be clear, this is my all time favorite movie. I can't stress this enough. I love The Lion King (1994), but what I saw today was horror for me. The CGI was good, but everything else wasn't. I would recommend you to watch this movie only so you can appreciate the original at its true value. They RUINED (and again, can't stress this enough) the songs (especially Be prepared). The actors were awful, plain, flat (except James Earl Jones, Seth Rogen and John Oliver). Beyonce????? Really? ANYONE else could've done a better job, and I mean anyone. Had NO EMOTION what so ever. None.

Missed important scenes from the first movie like: 1. Rafiki hitting Simba with the stick saying "it's in the past"; 2. Smart-funny conversation between hyenas and Simba/Nala/Zazu. ... and many more.

I wanted to cry when Mufasa died, but I couldn't because it all happens in 20 seconds and it is FLAT.

Also I wanted to cry at the end of the movie because it was horrible.
51 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BLAH! Beyonce big mistake!
whiskeyjack-1722328 July 2019
Visually beautiful. & thank god for James Earl Jones as Mufasa. Other than that just BLAH!! Acting was flat & didnt even hold a candle to original!!! BUT THE WORST was Beyonce!!! Way too much of Nala & Beyonce's stupid singing!!!
115 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Childhood film spat on
imydeaton6 August 2019
Jesus christ. I watched the original film when I was a child practically every week. I loved the music, the comedy, the drama. Just saw the remake. The music had been twisted to the point it was unrecognisable, with unnecessary key changes and over-dramatic flourishes, with the iconic song 'Be Prepared' sounding like nothing more than a half hearted poetry slam artist with a sore throat. The comedy was simple - they took a joke that was in the original film and ran with it until it literally wasn't funny anymore, until it dragged the initial smile off my face itself. Fart jokes and Timon putting Pumba down. Hilarious, I'm sure. Just not for me, or anyone else in my theatre judging by the stony silence that followed. The drama too, had been ruined. The tension interrupted by silly additions, like new jungle characters that did not exist in the original and contributed little, if anything, to the story. They dumbed it down and commercialised it, the capitalism of the film industry distorting an important and touching story into something I would never watch again. It was even painful in some places, and lacked any emotional levity that was in the original. Mufasa's death scene, which had made me cry like a baby in the past with the original, now felt stale and brief. Brushed off, even. Would not recommend to any fan of the original, or any fan of decent cinema. I don't doubt the talent of the voice actors, but I'm doubting the amount of effort put into their lines. They sounded like they were just reading off the script and relying to heavily on the VFX to bring their characters to life, which it did not. There are limitations to the range of emotions that the hyperrealistic lions could display, and this directly impacted the film. I could no longer sympathise with the characters, let alone empathise. Just very disappointing.
27 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated and way too much spotlight on beyonce
kaydrelia21 July 2019
Lion King was the only movie growing up that actually made me cry, the soundtrack alone was amazing, but there was a magic in the cartoon version. This new one is awful. They spent tons of money on the tech and actors, but forgot to add the magic. This isn't the Lion Queen, it's not about beyonce, but it's become all about her, when she didnt actually bring anything to the movie. James Earl Jones will never get a bad review in my book, he did his job. Everyone else was simply forgettable. The cartoon version I remember each actor, each song, each joke, etc and I havent watched it in years. My guess is that Disney is making all these worthless remakes to maintain the copyrights of those movies, but there's 0 intention to do it with the same magic and formula that captivated people from the beginning. The only remake I've enjoyed so far is Cinderella, we even bought it. The rest I don't even remember and my kids prefer the cartoon versions over the remakes now too, that should say something. Not that anyone at Disney will care, their goal is to take over everything to continue being in control and taking in heaps of money for their own exploits. I'll stick with the original Lion King, including the soundtrack and the Broadway show (also amazing), and never speak of this waste of money of a film again.
287 out of 395 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible acting!! Doesn't compare to the original
nikkikthegreat20 July 2019
I LOVE the original. I wanted to love this movie. I was over the moon excited for it. They took out too many important parts of the original. Showing the strength of Mufasa but also his friendly side (his friendship with Zazu, how he respects and hugs Rafiki, that he taught Simba how to pounce). Even the opening scene wasn't the same. Why would you alter that? The huge rising sun in tune with the music that gives almost everyone goosebumps. The new one you see trees with a slightly lit up morning sky and then a small sun appears off to the side that isn't in sync with the music. Mufasas personality doesn't sound the same even though it's still James Earl Jones' voice. It's different somehow. The hyenas are not the same. They don't make jokes and laugh at themselves like "make mine a cub sandwich" then laugh hysterically at their own jokes. They eliminated Ed, the one who doesn't speak, just laughs. Timon isn't flamboyant or half as funny as the original. The hula scene in the original was fast paced and funny to distract the hyenas. The new one he slowly sings "Be our Guest"?? No action and not as fun. In fact, ALL of the new characters (including Beyoncé) sound like they are just reading from a script and it's really mundane and forced. None of them are in character and flow like the original. There's no sass or wit. The music is boring. It's a huge disappointment. Rafiki catches Simbas hair and knows immediately it's him. In the original, he knows the scent, but it takes him a minute to figure it out and when he does, he's ecstatic. Not in the remake. There is no image of Mufasa in the clouds to guide Simba to remember who he is. Rafiki doesn't give him a lesson about how the past can hurt with his stick. Simba doesn't hug Rafiki like his father did which is also symbolic to how Simba is like his father. I don't understand why Disney would eliminate these bonds and characters that we all love and change it to make what is a visually stunning movie into something I will never want to see again.
322 out of 446 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyonce messed up!
sherhendriks-0857526 July 2019
Simba and Beyonce. Or better yet, it's not Lion King.. It's Lion Queen. She wanted you to hear very clearly what her origin is, while at an interview she won't. Now the album will be a gift to africa or from africa. Great, I did not know the movie is about how much we are devided. She did not get it beautifully done out of respect for the movie. This beautiful creation is messed up due selfish reasons. She should have played the hyena. I always liked Beyonce up till now, she is being way too transparant about her intentions.
152 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On the odd chance a Disneista reads these reviews...
graves-scott1 August 2019
Quit it! Quit remaking EVERYTHING over and over again. Try and find new, original ideas and make movies from those. I for one am done with Disney as a whole. No more Disney movies for me, which will be hard I suppose since they are buying everyone else in the industry. But I shall remain strong. The last movie from their Borg Like Collective I watched was Captain Marvel. Haven't watched one since and won't pay a dime to see them in the theater. Might see them on Netflix or something If I'm drunk enough. But otherwise not happening.
47 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time, money grab
dmbelafan4 August 2019
TLK is one of my favorite Disney classics, so while I didn't understand the need for a remake, I did look forward to seeing it with the full theatrical experience again. Boy was I wrong.

The core failure of the movie is the inexplicable choice to go fully photo-realistic with the animation. There is zero, and I can't stress this enough, ZERO expression or emotion in the characters' faces. Sure, it's zoologically accurate, but why does that matter when your plot is a conniving lion plotting a political coup with another species?

The voice acting was.....barely passable. Nothing remarkable, especially given the A-list names on the cast. Timon and Pumba were the high flyers here, and even they were a pale shade of the excellent originals. Classic musical numbers were either underwhelming or over-performed (looking at you, Beyoncé).

All of this is made even more obvious by the fact that the movie is nearly a shot-for-shot, line-for-line copy of the original. Timon and Pumba had some clever self-aware lines that poked fun at that fact, but given how closely they mimicked the original, it's remarkable that the final product managed to come out so flat in comparison.

I don't know what this means for Disney's other forthcoming live action re-releases. Aladdin wasn't up to snuff either, but had the energy and character to make up some lost ground. I've not yet seen the Dumbo remake, and want to look forward to Mulan, but if this is where they're setting the bar, I'll wait until they come to Netflix.
55 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where do i begin...
bgaladjian5 August 2019
Where do i begin for this one. First off, lets just start with casting. I'm not sure who was in charge of casting but wow you did an HORRIBLE job. Not only do the voice actors not know how to express emotion and make us FEEL something, the dialogue is all robotic! Seth Rogen (Pumba) was the only decent individual that matched his role and thats just because it's the easiest role to fill!

Secondly, changing certain plot points didn't flow as smoothly, in other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The hyenas were all of a sudden not comic relief or goofy, but instead more on political and serious. Timo and Pumba have a whole new group of friends in there jungle paradise, which isn't a big deal, but it makes it seem less like a special place that the three share.

Thirdly, most of the movie is a visual flex, they focus less on story and more on trying to show you what their capable of with live action. There are scenes that will unnecessarily take longer than it should, just to be visually appealing.

Finally, this movie did something so wrong, unlike the other Lion King. Instead of showing us emotion, they would consistently try to express it with dialogue. SHOW MORE, SAY LESS. You can say its because the other Lion King was animated and its easier to pull off, but i don't think so.

Basically, been preaching this for a long time, PLEASE Disney, stop doing these remakes, you guys are ruining classics for the future generations. I know its more for the MONEY that these films are made, but at least put a little effort. Big Fat Thumbs Down!
63 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Offensively bad Warning: Spoilers
I've seen a lot of bad movies in my life but I've never been personally offended by how downright awful one is. Had the original 1994 movie never been made and this movie given to us as an original, I highly doubt that this would have made it to theatres. No character in the movie has a discernable personality. There's not really any character growth. Two of the most memorable songs aren't even songs and instead are the voice actors talking slightly faster with a faint music score. Some of the best dialogue in the movie is cut out and new dialogue and scenes are inserted in their place. The new scenes are blatantly obvious in comparison to the old, as the writing falls flat and is ultimately irrelevant. It's impossible to care about or have any emotional investment in the characters, as the whole movie lacks entertainment value or the typical fun and excitement of any given Disney movie. Instead we have a line that summarizes the feeling of the entire movie: "life is meaningless".
81 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney ran out of original ideas
strmrautn3 August 2019
For the last 10 years disney has been making nothing new but recycling their old classics. Yet many of them are really bad. This is very cheap and easy method to grab a cash from audience. This film has no emotion, no soul and originality. It only depends on nostalgia and success of original animation. I would give -10/10 rating for this trash. Obviously Disney only cares about money, not about the audience. They ruined MCU and now they are ruining their own classics now lol.
38 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mufasa wasn't the only thing that died...
wascogo-6048323 July 2019
The Lion King was truly a disappointment. It was difficult to emotionally connect with the characters. Timon, Pumba, and Zazu were the only characters who were casted correctly and brought a comic relief into the movie, everyone else was blah. I had high expectations and after 20 minutes into the movie, my expectations fell apart. One thing I was truly looking forward to was the soundtrack, but it truly missed the mark, ESPECIALLY when Nala and Simba sang, "Can you feel the love tonight." I was bumbed out, because Aladdin was fun and better than expected. In my opinion, save your money and just buy the original movie on Hulu. Overall, bad casting and emotionless.
96 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1 star just for the visual effects team. And that's it.
catsy295 August 2019
The visual effects are stunning. Probably the best CGI I have ever seen.

But the story, zzzzzz. I was so bored. Such a lack of passion, there is no essence in this movie.

I am sad for the generation that will grow up with this version. I didn't even see a kid crying. Is The Lion King! I still cry!

I am a 90s kid. I grew up with The Lion King. Still, I only saw the whole movie twice because I couldn't take "that scene". It was so devastating to me that I still feel it. I had to skip it everytime.

It was such an emotional event for me. I am now 28 and, I am trying to watch it again but I get cold feet because I know it will be very painful.

The Lion King is not just one of the best animated movies of the whole time. It's also one of the best movies ever made.

I didn't want to watch this version. But I was with my little cousins and I said, why not?.

What a huge mistake. This movie didn't make me feel a thing.

The CGI is amazing but the emotions are just not there. You can't put human emotions on the face of a real lion. It looks creepy and just doesn't work. It doesn't translate well.

And the changes of the original story were not too many. But still it felt very short and hollow.

I was just waiting for the movie to be over.

Also, if Disney was going to make a reboot. Why not update the story? Why not talk about climate change?

That is something that the Ice Age has done so well.

It was a missed opportunity to deliver such an important message right now. I think there is not one healthy ecosystem right now on Earth.

I wish this movie were not a reboot but a "based on". So, they could give us something fresh.

I didn't understand the whole concept of the controlled hunts. I know in the animated version made sense. But if you are going to go realistic, follow the rules of the reality you have created.

At the ceremony of the introduction of the new king, why the hell the herbivores were celebrating?

I was such a bizarre and unintentional funny moment.

This was a very bad experience. I don't recommend this movie to anyone. Not even children.

Children should stick to the original. And Diseny too.

We want original content. Not half-assed "reboots".

Please. Stop.
35 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eye candy ruins Storytelling
gracious-0502725 July 2019
What's the point of having stunning visual effects and lighting and compositions, if they can't make us feel sad, happy, fear, etc? What's the point of watching a movie if we aren't satisfied with the story? If we prefer to be entertained visually, why don't we go to museums of fine arts to see epic paintings or photographs? Why bother to visit cinema? The Lion King 2019 is an Epic failure. Am I watching "wild" being remade?
108 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a movie made for squeezing money out of the people!
hey-g-hoko5 August 2019
The only thing what was "good" is the animation itself.... That's it. No emotion, no Charme, no happiness, no sadness....
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way to ruin it
nawalaman-5970125 July 2019
No emotion.. The whole movie visual vise was amazing.. But this movie was good because of the emotion and this remake got none.. Its so pathetic I can't believe it
80 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So poor
jpduignan23 July 2019
No heart, no laughs, I expected it to be good after the jungle book but it's just a terrible cover version without any feeling. Left the cinema after an hour.
80 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Garbage
Vartiainen9 August 2019
I did not want to see this movie. I did not want the Mouse to think that I in any way support this new trend of simply remaking old Disney classics with wooden actors and sparkling CGI. But alas, I was dragged into the movie theatre anyway, and here I am, telling you that I'm deeply ashamed that the Great Black Mouse of Disney has my money. Yet again.

Because I was right in not wanting to see this film. Because this is the bottom of the barrel. The other movies have kind of been shot for shot remakes, but every single one of them has had at least something new. Some other angle, some twist, to make it interesting. This, one the other hand? Holy cow in heaven, is this bad. The beginning, for example. You know, The Circle of Life, one of the most recognizable and striking movie openings in history. The exact same. Shot for shot, camera angle for camera angle, the exact same. Except, you know, not as colourful, iconic or fetching. Because it's supposed to look real. Which in this case apparently means that everything looks either more wrinkled, dusty and/or dirty in general. Because that's Serengeti for you. According to the film makers.

Luckily they stopped with the exact shot for shot soon after that, thank heavens, but that was only a minor relief. Because you know what else happens, when you try to make everything look as real as possible? Aside from everything looking like it's going to give you fleas. It makes everything look emotionless! Lions are not exceptionally renowned for their wide range of facial expressions, you know. The reason you can make animated movies with animals as the main characters is because animation doesn't care that lions can't have facial expressions. You can go outside the realms of biology and what's strictly speaking possible. You can exaggerate, emote and play loose with the rules. You can use colours, shapes and perspectives to compensate, to make it look interesting. This film has none of that! It's a dull, emotionless, flat table reading of dialogues we all know and love, but which are given nothing to support them.

Not helping the matter is the fact that they hired celebrity voice actors. These people are talented entertainers, yes, and they look fetching on a poster, but none of them is exactly renowned for their voice acting capabilities. And boy does that show! Even James Earl Jones sounds like he's about to keel over and pass beyond the veil at any moment. There's very little of the majesty and gravitas of the original Mufasa left in his performance.

And I actually misspoke earlier. This thing has one new thing in it. A song. A song by Beyonce, named Spirit. Because apparently that was the price of getting her on board. Or perhaps Disney wants an Original Song Oscar nomination. I don't know, but the song is awful and feels exactly like what it is. A forced, jammed in last-minute addition.

Saints in heaven, was this a bad movie. It's a bit over a week after I saw it, but writing this review actively ruined my morning. I feel awful even thinking about this. About the fact that Disney has made incredible amounts of money with this. That they're going to keep making these.

And I contributed to it. I think I might be sick. Excuse me.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.