40 Years of Rocky: The Birth of a Classic (2020) Poster

Fascinating (Albeit Brief/Random) Home Video Footage
zkonedog28 November 2020
One way to look at "40 Years of Rocky" is to view it as a bit of a rip-off. I wouldn't totally blame someone for this opinion. It runs just 30 minutes and has no coherent message, simply consisting of Sylvester Stallone commenting on old home movies from "Rocky" director John G. Avildsen and other on-set producers.

That being said, fans of "Rocky" may still enjoy this (brief) escapade for two primary reasons:

1. The home movies are indeed fascinating almost because of their banality and randomness. Nothing is staged and it truly shows (as best as videotape can) what the major players of "Rocky" were like on set. In particular, seeing Carl Weathers practice the fight choreography with Stallone or Burgess Meredith running lines in the makeup chair will bring a smile to your face while watching.

2. "Rocky" has become such a cultural phenomenon that it is now fair game for every little scrap of behind-the-scenes minutiae to have meaning. Fans have seen the movie so many times that any tiny bit more they can squeeze out of the franchise (even from behind the camera) seems significant.

Overall, I'd only recommend "40 Years" to the hard-core "Rocky" fans, as others may question the necessity of such a random collection of home videos. But for those who admire the Philly pugilist on a deeper, more inspirational level, getting a "peek behind the curtain" is fun no matter how short a time is spent there.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'd rather be knocked out by Ivan Drago than endure this again.
logicproreviews30 December 2020
Horribly boring. Stallone narratives a making of over Super 8 footage. He repeats himself time and time again. If you want a more in depth narrative, listen to his DVD audio commentary for Rocky.

This is waste of everyone's time.

2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing new here....save your money
chevolek25 December 2020
This is an extremely short documentary with barely new footage. You better stick to the Extras found on the Blu-Ray edition of the Rocky films. There you will find longer behind the scenes videos with commentaries by the main actors and the film makers (In the Ring, Video Commentary with Sylvester Stallone, Makeup, etc.) including behind the scenes home movies by Avildsen. It´s a shame that such a wonderful legacy got such a short documentary unlike "King of the underdogs" which is longer than 1 hour. Save your money and forget about this one.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Always Rocky
carlos-diviesti4 January 2021
I have a friend at Buenos Aires named Rocky Balboa, too. He's a friend from the movies. We spent together almost forty-five years, and I think he'll be my friend beyond death becomes to us. I truly believe in it. This little gem is not about «Rocky», it's about how John G. Avildsen saw his little picture during the making, and Sylvester Stallone enjoys his dream of making it. That's not original but that's not boring, because it's an intimate close capture of period, work, and life. See it!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing new to learn
daviddegiorgio7 January 2021
Such a shame, couldn't wait to watch it, hoping to find something to add to the great story but...
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.