The Protege (2021) Poster

(2021)

Liked it more than expected
MrsSmithison23 October 2021
You've seen most of this before, brutality, revenge, rich people. I liked the cat and mouse chemistry between Keaton and Q despite the age difference. A good throwback feel.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Littered with plot inconsistencies
wclark-9659820 August 2021
Fun enough for a John Wick style movie, with some really good acting by the main characters. Sadly it couldn't make up for a nonsensical plot that forces the characters into illogical decisions. It also relied heavily on Hollywood's inability to figure out how many bullets a weapon can hold (in one scene a guy literally fires at least 50 rounds from a handgun with no reload.) Bottom line watch it when it streams for free.
97 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maggie And Keaton Steal The Show
qwmarcus20 August 2021
While the Protege is a somewhat forgettable, typical action thriller movie, it's two leads do a great job. Maggie and Michael are both very charismatic in the movie, and do not phone in their performances. Samuel L Jackson is also good, but his performance is a little more phoned in than our other leads. The action is very good, with realistic hand to hand combat and decent gun play. While it's not the best action in a movie, it's definitely choreographed well and shot competently. I would mainly recommend this movie for Maggie and Michaels performances alone, along with the action scenes. However, if you're not interested in that you can probably skip this movie and not miss anything.
77 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
guskeller23 August 2021
The Protégé attempts to make a played out genre its own by adding awkward banter and misfired quips. The action, while fair, is the clear focus of this production because the plot is clunky and uninteresting. This is exacerbated by Maggie Q's bland acting. She tries to achieve the assured demeanor that the script is hoping for but she comes across wooden and forced. This isn't solely her fault since the dialogue wishes it was much cooler than it actually is. But Maggie does not elevate the role in any meaningful way.

From a technical perspective, The Protégé is decent enough. The action is the film's redeeming quality because the shot choices, choreography, and special effects are all adequate. Once, the music even enhances a fight scene to highlight juxtaposing emotions at hand. Yet, this is outweighed by the contrived and cringe writing. In almost every way, the script fails the audience because the story is unoriginal, the conversations lack wit, and the characters are flat. Often, The Protégé outright tells us how to feel instead of giving us real reasons to care, leaving viewers to groan at a marginally subpar piece of work.

Writing: 2/10 Direction: 4/10 Cinematography: 5/10 Acting: 4/10 Editing: 5/10 Sound: 6/10 Score/Soundtrack: 6/10 Production Design: 4/10 Casting: 5/10 Effects: 6/10

Overall Score: 4.7/10.
89 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good action crime thriller...
paul_haakonsen8 October 2021
Initially I was thrilled about getting to sit down to watch "The Protége" from writer Richard Wenk and director Martin Campbell, but someone had mentioned that the movie wasn't really all that great. So it was with a bit of doubt that I sat down to watch "The Protége". Regardless of how it was playing out, then I would watch it, as the movie had a rather nice cast ensemble.

And I must say that I am glad that I opted to watch the movie, because I happened to enjoy the movie. This was a good old fashioned action crime thriller, for better or worse. Sure, the storyline and plot may have been predictable and somewhat generic, but who cares? It made for good wholesome entertainment.

The storyline is easily followed and doesn't really require all that much in the intellectual department, so you just switch off the old gray and lean back and enjoy the movie. And yeah, that was actually a good thing about the movie, because it is a munch-on-the-popcorn-and-enjoy-the-action kind of movie.

"The Protége" has a good cast ensemble. And truth be told, of course I had to watch "The Protége" given the fact that Maggie Q was starring in it, as she tends to make some pretty decent action movies. And she was nicely cast for "The Protége", I will say that much. And it certainly was nice to have the likes of Michael Keaton and Samuel L. Jackson in a movie such as this as well.

There is a good amount of action and fight scenes throughout the course of "The Protége", which definitely help bring the movie up and into a good pacing.

I was adequately entertained by "The Protége", and it is a movie well-worth watching if you like action crime thrillers.

My rating of "The Protége" lands on a six out of ten stars.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It does what it's supposed to do
thokocnamangale30 August 2021
Sure yeah the story isn't the most interesting or original, but the lead actors are great, it's paced very well and the action is good, sometimes illogical but good, far from fast and furious illogical. You won't go back to it but it's as entertaining as it is forgettable. I think it's made to entertain, not to picked apart by movie analysts, and in that regard it's a great movie. It's a John wick type of fun.
32 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not much of a movie
moscalifar-6872723 August 2021
Just a B series action movie with two very big star names alongside a lot of romanian-bulgarians zero-actors. Wasted time.
74 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As many have said, forgettable movie.
Luv2Spooge28 August 2021
Not being a fan of John Wick films, this one ranked up there with just another poor writing, poorly executed film. The action scenes are good, but there it lies the problem, they were far way too few. Most of the movie is just talking talking about a very convoluted plot that was hard to follow and made even less sense. Overall, I was bored out of my mind and the movie barely served as a noise maker in the background while I did my work on the computer.

If these are the same creators that made Nobody, they really need to study their work and find out what made that one work.
47 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, if forgettable.
dereklambe22 November 2021
An enjoyable, undemanding action thriller. Well-paced, with some lovely scenery and some good action scenes. Some of the violence was unnecessarily gruesome. Maggie Q was good and is easy on the eyes, and Michael Keaton stole every scene he was in.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Checks the boxes!
Marynewcomb201322 September 2021
This movie checks the Hollywood PC boxes & nothing else!! The "macho" female leads has been done to death for many lifetimes now & needs to end! Would really enjoy seeing a good movie again like we were all able to 20-30 years ago!!
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No character deveopment. No care.
MongoLloyd29 August 2021
You can always rely on Hollywood to mine familiar narrative territory because they know audiences are bored and will forgive unoriginality if the film is dressed up with production value, action, and effects. I always like to apply this test to big budget trash: if made with a no name cast on a small budget, would it be successful?

In this case, it's very doubtful. A complete lack of character development means who gives a flying @*#% about the mission of the protagonist? And while I like the whole "protege" assassin idea, it's been done better. This is a wholly forgettable cinematic achievement.
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avoid at all cost
laceup-9684927 August 2021
I expected it to be good but it was terrible, very cringey movie, story, dialogues, everything horrible it looked amateurish wasted 2 hrs. Also the sex jokes ew weird doesnt fit at all.
46 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hot mess
lareval29 August 2021
Even with all kinds of choreographies, all the actors in the world and a seasoned director, if the script is bad the movie is going to be bad. Awful soundtrack choices and even worse character choices along the runtime of this movie makes this one that I forgot inmediately the end credits rolled.
20 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie if you just teleported from 1389
rcavdh29 August 2021
This movie is terrible. The story is so generic and boring and nothing is realistic. This movie represents everything wrong with capitalism. Just imagine the resources that were wasted to bring this garbage into this world. I normally like Jackson but the last couple of movies he was in really show he is hurting for cash.
33 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Derivative but enjoyable
abdiver23 August 2021
We've seen it all before but it's well made, the female killing action is fairly believable, Maggie is smoking, Keaton plays it just right. Think Mr. And Mrs. Smith between them. I'd watch a part 2.
41 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Add to your viewing liat
uajx25 November 2021
Fan of Maggie Q, who always brings a professional performance. Keaton was terrific, as usual. Sam Jackson more or less plays Sam Jackson now in every role. The script wasn't the best, but the story moved along fairly well. A couple of plot twist helped drive the last 30 minutes of the film.
Hell Yeah.....
bumbray991 November 2021
Indeed, this flick was action packed from start to finish,I wasn't surprised with Samuel L Jackson and Meggie Q great performance, it was Michael Keaton who stole the show!
I enjoyed it
redsly27 October 2021
I read the review on the first page about this film having actors over 70, kicking some ass. I find it harder to believe that Maggie Q would have sex with a 70 y/o. Keaton. Sorry Michael, but your love making days are over. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It had a great pace to it and excellent characters and it was good to see Maggie Q. She is damn hot and great at what she does.
Violence, romance and humor
ashleylcooke24 October 2021
Violence, romance and humor

Good cast, solid story for an assassin film laced with humor & violence never felt too cheesy it took me out of he story.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not much on story but ok popcorn.
whitemanfromtowne27 August 2021
Not too much on story but it was ok popcorn. Maggie Q, does a damn good job on film as she always brings her A game in anything she plays, so kudos to her for the that. And we all know Sam L is the hardest working man in showbiz, and he added nice little touch as well. And of course the legend M. Keaton. Although there wasn't much story, all three made the watch worthwhile popcorn. Oh yeah shot outs to T1000 Patrick Stewart. He didn't have much in this but he played a hell of role in one of my all time favs T2. This however was an ok one time watch.
39 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nursing Home Ninjas
Johnny_West24 August 2021
Samuel L. Jackson is 73 years old. Michael Keaton is 70. Patrick Malahide is 76 years old. Robert Patrick is 63. David Rintoul is 73. Except for Maggie Q (42 years), the entire cast of this movie should be living in a nursing home.

The fight scenes are silly when you realize it is all beyond fake. We are talking about senior citizens who are using walkers in real life, pulling out their dentures before fighting.
53 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Generic Hollywood Mediocrity
musicnetwork-8503328 August 2021
The main actors all did a great job. It's the script that made this movie into more unbelievable rubbish. A 90 pound borderline anorexic woman using her limbs to overpower and kill multiple thugs with automatic weapons.

Copy and paste generic storyline we have seen before. Many of the action scenes that could have been great are ruined by how absurdly they take place.

This is one to skip unless there is absolutely nothing else to watch.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Protégé Misses the Mark
Entertainmentsparadise20 August 2021
An assassin finds herself in a complicated situation as she seeks revenge for her fallen friend.

Failing to deliver a promising hook within the opening scene, the film starts off underwhelming. As a result, Protege missed the target(plot) by lacking accuracy. With plenty of objectives;the film flirts with a toxic unexpected love interest that doesn't surrender a clear direction. Although the plot and pacing is very wonky, with twists that didn't make any sense when trying to evoke emotion; The film had a couple of wow moments with some average combat action scenes. To top it off, Protege abruptly ends, causing further disappointment.

Unfortunately, this film doesn't do anything to make it stand out as an action film. The plot has many holes that led to a disappointing experience. I wouldn't suggest going to the theater to see this.
27 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected
chrisgray-3135024 August 2021
If your looking for a entertaining assassin movie. This is worth your time. Even had a couple fun twists.
42 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been worse
skippystarla22 August 2021
Didn't know anything about it going in, omehow missed all the trailers. Had I have seen one I might have been more upset. Best thing about the movie was Michael Keaton, other than that the dialog was bad so was the choreography and every action movie cliché was accounted for.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.