Todo sobre el asado (2016) Poster

Very good documentary from Argentina
tprspan3 February 2019
I had heard about Argentina's love affair with beef before, but this doc really brings it to the forefront. The film is very informative of course, but the cast of interesting and sometimes quirky characters was outstanding. Nearly all the people interviewed were very colorful in describing their passion for "asado". Even the narrator was great, yet a little funny in his narration and interviews. Definitely check this out.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mockumentary and documentary meat! Best in show, meets borat, with a parental filter..
aie-trust1 August 2019
It seems to take a pulse of the country at a producer/ working level. While attempting to educate.

Some part of me hopes it was primarily meant to be seen by urban wealthy Argentina and the 1st world. So they could say it was an ironic mockumentary. While being told some home truths and fed some interesting information around the topic

As I watched this, i went through phases. Initially I thought, this sucks as a doco.

Then I thought it sucked as a mocko.

But, I think this product is the result of funding buying into the pitch but then toning it down. Standsrd art and funding. If so, Target achieved. Something for urban liberals to titter at and snowflakes to Twitter at.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Note for mod
aie-trust1 August 2019
Mockumentary and documentary meat

Please change my rating
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amateur documentary
LonelyRoadsOrg2 January 2020
This amateur documentary should be about 25 minutes, but the directors extended it to 1hr 23 mins to have a film instead a short film. That is why we see a lot of stupid scenes like: hairstylist's cow, a Jewish singer, a baby's first taste of meat, a speech about bad breath when you eat meat by a Jewish dentist, a lot of long shots only to extend the duration of the film. That happens in all Netflix productions in Latin America, they want to produce a lot of works for their streaming catalog.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very funny yet informative documentary
gbalbinot2 October 2017
I was born and raised in the south of Brazil, where we share the same habits of eating roast, preparing it in a very similar way that was displayed in the movie. Moreover, I was lucky enough to visit and experience the Argentinian roast while I was in Argentina. Based on that, I can assure you that this is a masterpiece that captured not only the way they do it, but also the feelings involved in the act of roasting meat. It describes and shows very well the customs and habits of the "gauchos", the gathering, the silence, the preparation, the cooking... and all things involved in roasting barbecue. It has a nice touch of humor, the footage is very interesting, the way it captured the speeches and the scenes. A true masterpiece and worth seeing!
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sad picture of argentine machismo
albertosalamanco8 June 2019
Many times I heard people talking about this film. Today I had the opportunity of watching it and the result was: disgusting. There would have been infinite ways of picturing the great tradition of argentine asado. Sadly, the macho component imposed in the narrative and make it so unbearable I couldn't even finish watching. As an argentinian I feel awful seeing the image we cast to the world, but it is also a reflexion of how we are as a society. Please avoid this film, it's embarrasing. We need a non-macho one to be done urgently, in order to crush this one and drain it down through the pipes.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a strange movie.
garedicus26 September 2018
This starts out as an interesting look into the barbecue culture of Argentina, their love of beef, and various regional delicacies. Sadly, about half-way through the film, it turns into an odd melange of barbecue reverence, anti-patriarchical vegan rantings, ramblings about how the entire act is reminiscent of homosexual communes (I'm not kidding, there's a "researched" who spends his entire time comparing barbecuing meat to being gay), and a bizarre back-and-forth battle between a bar owner and a former congressman over whether or not cooking barbecue is "women's work." The first 45 minutes are great.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is about Argentineans
gpdonadini9 December 2018
This documentary is a full expression for Argentinean character throughout its most passionate tradition: El Asado. It is a masterpice.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bizarre... so bizarre!
gklenicki17 August 2020
Terrible documentary. Really pathetic representation of the "asado" culture in Argentina. I felt ashamed by the characters, language used and narrator.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a real picture and representation of Argentinean people
damian-3641513 November 2017
I watched this documentary on Netflix, and I must say it is one of the most bizarre Argentinean movies/documentary. As an Argentinean, I felt ashamed by watching this documentary. It does not truly represent Argentinean people. Characters were erroneously cast, and shows some of the worst traits of Argentinean people, their arrogance. Some discriminatory scenes can be noticed too.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quirky and definitely Argentine
tristanmckinney23 November 2020
Very tongue in cheek with a strong dose of irreverent humor but still a good representation of how much Argentines love asado, where it comes from, the ins and outs of cookery and cuts, etc.

It's not for everyone but for those that are open to a bit of a meandering, not to be taken too seriously journey through asado's history and Argentina - you'll be pleased.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a terrible film.
luciampflaum28 May 2018
This film is slow, boring and one sided. This so called documentary, is a middle class man who likes to eat meat and goes around insulting people: women, leftwing people, and vegetarians. It's not at all educating of the real culture and people in Argentina (I'm from Argentina) This is just a guy with opinions... and bad ones!
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
entertaining, smart and hilarious film
Herman-ca19 October 2018
Must watch!. We really enjoyed the film, Argentinians have a very nice sense of humor, their traditions and food are very rich too, this film wont let you down. Very well narrated!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.