[Cargo] (2018) Poster

(2018)

Really Over The Top & Entertaining!
redsrabbitead-0134530 November 2018
I felt compelled to review this thriller. It's a concept similar to movies like Locke and All is Lost and Buried. About one man trapped in an impossible situation as he tries to wile his way out of it. Ron Thompson gives a solid performance as antihero Anthony Peterson trapped in a metal cargo container and being held for ransom by, I'm guessing, terrorists. I liked a lot of the supporting voice over actors as well. The insanity and dark comedy of the film at times reminded me of Hong Kong cinema. Certainly not a film for everyone yet if you dig one man movies you'll probably like this one!
58 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cool Thriller Film
dayt-679651 December 2018
One of the better thrillers I've seen in a long time. The concept is fresh, the look of the film is stark and engaging, a very good storyline overall. I love the synthesizer soundtrack as well. Flawed? Sure. Yet all in all a good thriller that's worth seeing.
47 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting Ideas
godzillaface5 December 2018
The film gets a jump start in the right direction throwing the story right out in the middle of the heat. Thats where Cargo Succeeds, it uses the strangeness of the situation to keep the story up and running.
34 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film
darrencooper-124134 December 2018
Why all the bad reviews people don't know a good movie.. This is great acting and snd story even though its not original.. But fun watch this is my first review
35 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over the top
tashikitten17 November 2018
I watched this because I'm a huge fan of Ron Thompson's work as Tony and Pete in the magnificent, underrated Ralph Bakshi film American Pop. I'm not a fan of horror thrillers. So why am I giving it a high rating? Because I appreciate what the filmmakers did here. This is an independent film through and through. No big budget. No fancy locations. But they came up with an interesting premise: Crappy, wealthy guy Anthony Peterson is being held in a cargo container for ransom. All the action takes place in the cargo container. Peterson doesn't know where he is. The only link to the outside world is a cell phone that cannot be traced. Peterson has to call anyone he can think of to convince them to transfer money to his abductors and secure his release. The voice acting of the folks with whom our "hero" Peterson interacts was problematic for me at first, but then I leaned into it, as I realized it was intentionally exaggerated, and it contributed to the over-the-top ride. Add to that the creative use of space, wild camera angles, and a stellar score from Thorsten Quaeschning of Tangerine Dream, and you've got a solid horror thriller. If you're into horror thrillers, you'll dig this movie.
66 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW!
cindyhodson16 November 2018
This movie should have been labeled in the "Thriller" genre, instead of "Horror". It is not a horror film. But it is really exciting and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! Ron Thompson is absolutely brilliant! I loved the movie and will definitely watch it again. I have been waiting for months, and it truly delivered. Watch this movie, you will not be disappointed!
64 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Review Of "Cargo"
ASouthernHorrorFan28 December 2018
The story is a high concept suspense told in a minimalist, claustrophobic manner. The idea is familiar and novel. Dylan plays on those familiar tropes with creativity and style. The dark, often close-framed shots create an atmosphere of suspense and tension. It gives a physical representation to the dire circumstances and loss of control both in situation and emotion.

The single actor drama is a risky choice that can, at times, seem tedious. Putting more constraint on the ability for an organic flow. And for the most part "Cargo" falls into this trap. The unseen antagonist offers some relief, providing a catalyst for both the story motion, and the character study. However the execution of the one-man show often feels forced and looses momentum periodically. Not by any fault of the actor, Ron Thompson, he gives a great performance.

The cinematography is quality, keeping the scenes, and setting interesting throughout the movie. The soundtrack is also good and seems to compliment the journey of this tortured, kidnapped (bad man). Still at times "Cargo" did loose my attention, and to finish did require dedication. Check it out but the high concept and uniqueness will only really speak to a select audience.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Worst Movie I have ever seen
subhodeepthakur16 February 2019
This is a movie that has the worsts of everything. Period.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pass this one up - Terrible Acting!
aaronfrench129 November 2018
When so much depends on the single main actor - he should at least be able to act. I could only get thru 20 minutes. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.
23 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter dross....
baldy_man29 November 2018
Thought I'd give this a whirl, what a mistake that was. Rather than waste time with the why's and what not's, just don't bother it's utter utter crap........
14 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This could've been a good audiobook but they preferred to make a bad movie.
krdnetco29 November 2018
Two hours of watching a single actor doing a very bad acting job inside of a cargo container . I was really hoping for something interesting to happen right till the end of this movie, being fooled by a 6.8 rating.

Unfortunately this movie wouldn't even get a C+ as a project for a junior in a film academy. Characters are exaggerated, plot full of holes. I guess the positive ratings come from the makers of the movie Don't waste your time.
14 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst film ever
davemw-2054129 November 2018
I felt compelled to open an IMDb account just to warn others about this utter load a crap of a film. Boring, terrible acting! Even 1 star is way too generous This isn't staight to DVD its should be straight in bin
11 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just bad....
randerson-176824 December 2018
There's one "actor" and he couldn't even dial a cell phone believably. I actually enjoyed how bad it was. I knew it was horrid 5mins in but couldn't stop. Watch with a friend and clown away sarcastically
7 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My kid could have done better with $100 and a Cricket camera phone.
bob_james93975 December 2018
In the opening scene the first thing I thought was "Oh Sh%t? I accidentally downloaded the wrong movie" , Because of course there is another movie called "Cargo" but without the brackets. That's the good cargo, this cargo, very very bad. The very first thing you notice in this film is the walls of this room/container have been spray painted black. It literally took a person or people hours to spray paint the inside of this thing. Enough said.
6 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute dross
jacquelinesage-160727 December 2018
If you are restricting your "action" to one actor and scene, ensure your actor can act and that tension is believably built. Never sat through such rubbish purely hoping there would be something redeeming. There isn't.
5 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No one thinks they are a bad person, even a monster
nogodnomasters27 December 2018
Anthony Peterson (Ron Thompson) is a millionaire who has been kidnapped and inside a shipping container that is not moving. He has a phone in order to raise his own ransom, no police etc. So for over an hour, we watch only one person on the screen as he talks to people on the phone. The script was sophomoric with an inane attempt at creating drama with bad dialogue.

Now if we didn't have to listen to the idiot at the other end of the phone, and say had Bob Newhart do the talking...

"Are you okay? Oh, you took some acid. But it was light blotter just to calm your nerves...I see how this is going to end already "

Or...

"You're going to kill my wife? Um, which wife is this? You could have taken my ex-wife."

That would have been much more entertaining, leaving the other end of the conservation a blank.

"Sully? You know you're dead. That doesn't matter to you, you wanted to call me just to laugh at me. "

Is there an instructor at film school making its students "write and submit a bad one-person script and see if you can get funding?"

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity. There was a discussion of gang rape.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just lost over one hour of my life
christina318930 November 2018
I don't know what more to say. Probably the worst movie and acting I have ever seen.
7 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad
saleen-052534 December 2018
Bad output, bad scenario, worst representation, waste of time
5 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad bad bad
brunofane7 December 2018
Is this some kind of a joke? extremely bad movie, bad acting, horribly quality... Do yourself a favor and never watch this movie
4 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.