The Axiom (2018) Poster

(2018)

Meh....
coolphantom6661 March 2019
The Axiom started out as an okay B-Movie. The picture quality is very good. The acting is also pretty decent. BUT the comic-relief guy was too much and really annoying. Aside from that small detail, I initially thought this really would turn out to be a decent watch. The intrigue and mystery was well put together. But then everything suddenly turned really cheesy and bad when they finally got to the cabin in the forest. I actually thought the monster makeup was pretty good so that's not the problem. It's just the script altogether is just really, really bad. It seems like they didn't know where to go with their story. It turned into boring nonsense and I stopped being invested in the movie. There is definitely something fishy going on with the ratings on the site. It's a pretty crappy movie with nice visuals, a 3 at best. By the time it ended I was down to a 2, however.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creepy premise tainted by stupid script, painful acting
umimelectric17 February 2019
For me it was one of those horror films that when I'm not screaming at the characters about how stupid they are, I'm laughing at how poorly their lines are delivered. It's a creepy premise but even that quickly fades by the time the third act approaches. How many times have you seen a horror film where a character sees/experiences a traumatic supernatural event, and then when the chaos passes, they say nothing happened and go about business as usual? Strangled by a vengeful spirit? Her actual explanation: "I must have just seen a rat." I mean even being assaulted by a human is enough to shake a woman so badly that she'd be visibly distraught for a while, but not this regular American girl, she handles it like a pro who has seen her share of mean stranglings. I'm sick of tropes like this and the old, "let's split up" or "I'll be right back" nonsense that was proven ineffective 20 years ago in satires like Scream. Somewhere buried in this garbage is an original idea, and it doesn't look like it was filmed on a cell phone, so for that I give it a 2.5/10.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good for pizza Saturday
aquabilly2 March 2019
Not looking for anything but a good horror flick for my Saturday pizza scoff. I enjoyed this movie, it doesn't have any pretensions and they made the most of it. The only thing that bothered me was the comedy continuity with the lead man's shirt. The blood moved about and varied from...i have had a small scratch...to...i've been shot in the heart. To give this movie a 1 or 2 rating is mean spirited. And it is nowhere near ...worst film ever or other such guff. Its a solid movie.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not bad, but something is missing
nijazmuratovic14 February 2019
This is one of horrors that can't simply be said to deserve bad rating, but can't also deserve good one, because there are out there many better horror movies. What makes this good one is mystery, adventure, surprise, and weirdness. There is spiritual, religious, interesting world and dimensions. It's very good to be immersed into such dimensions because that way I was on the lookout for something that prevented me from being bored. But there is lack of explanation, good intro, real life scenarios like more people, animals, police, buildings, events. Everything somehow happened too quickly, in weird way, without good reason and explanation. There is lack of motive for occurrences and for the whole story.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a must watch but indie horror fans will definitely enjoy
tkaine311 February 2019
Starting fast is a total understatement for this film which is a good thing because 3 seconds after clicking the play button you see a woman in a forest crying and pleading to an out of focused man to not make her go in there. This 2 min. Scene was crucial because what unravels creates good interest for a indie horror film that immediately falls right back into the normal boring realm of most indie horror films that start with 5 friends in a car driving somewhere unknown talking and jabbering about basically nothing. But after the 10 mins of jibber jabber it moves at a good pace and a unique storyline unveils. The acting isn't the worst but definitely not great the main actress and Leon the restaurant bar owner do OK but the over exposure of scenes that are too bright for the camera lens are dead giveaways of a poor budget. With that being said I do believe they utilized the budget very strategically for efx and make-up but there were still too many scenes with cinematic mishaps like differences in blood coloring sometimes it looked bright red and other times it appeared to be black. Most indie fans may be able to look past that and if you do this film provides a good twist about midway through. The jump scares from hallucinations, demonic possession and creepy monsters add a surprise element that's better than the average low budget flick and "The Axiom" should get kudos for pulling this off. Not a must watch but a pretty good one.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good amateur horror effort!
omendata19 February 2019
Just watched Redwood and it was an awful film but this one is a bit of a gem in the coal.

The simple sequences of people not being able to be seen reminds me of other movies like The Endless 2017 and it has a similar feel to the excellent Don't Blink 2014 movie!

Contrary to the other reviewers I thought most of the acting was very competent especially Taylor Flowers and it just goes to show that you do not need a huge budget to make an interesting and quite disturbing little horror. With a bigger budget and a story more fleshed out this could have been a really major horror with exploration of the other realms and some more advanced creature effects but they did well with what they had to work with.

One should always review a movie I believe within the constraints of the budget and this beats some of the major multi million pound blockbusters.

Well done to all the actors and the director for giving us something a bit different.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I never write a review but this one is worth it
dinindyalintang4 March 2019
Wow. Wow. Such a comedic movie. I have never laughed so hard watching a horror movie. Bad acting. Terrible make up. Dreadful lines. Maybe they want to do it like Stranger Things, inventing another dimension with monsters but it was just plain terrible.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crossbreed between The Ritual and The Endless.
gothic-fiction12 February 2019
Sadly there was room for more and I don't think the budget was the problem but quite possibly the execution and the script. It is not a bad movie yet far from something I would recommend to a fellow horror fan because it doesn't quite deliver, mostly lurks around a good premise without hitting the mark.

The Axiom has some ambition to it, it tries to tie as many ends as possible yet some remain sort of loose, not necessarily in a bad way but certainly not what we would expect out of a better production. So for an indie film, I think it did OK, my problem mostly lies in the fact that it managed to show a pretty good idea but failing to deliver as it should.

Thus all in all it comes down to everyone's opinion and nothing more. You wanna take a chance on it, do so. See how it goes down on you. Maybe don't expect much of it tho.

Cheers!
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't surprise at all
yogeshevolution27 February 2019
For die hard horror fans this movie will not impress at all. Feels like concept is copied from similar movies and movie gets predictable. Also there not much horror in it. Don't know what's about the rating of the 7 🤔. Still it can be one time watch.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's less than okay
saphira_dragon-8027023 February 2019
Very cool concept but poor execution. The characters are all annoying as well. A lot of them just running around in the woods screaming each other's names. Took us 2 nights to finish it. Not great but I guess if you have nothing else you can watch it
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stick around for the ending
criggs-3220417 February 2019
Much better than I thought it would be. The first 2/3 of the movie is solid. The last 1/3 is great. Excellent concept that a I hope they continue.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It will surprise you!
vassago-original12 February 2019
This is actually quite good horror/thriller movie. The story is interesting, the acting is acceptable and since it is obviously built with a not-much budget, it is pretty well made. Does not expect you to be a genious, nor it will demand highq IQ to understand it, making it enjoyable and good choice for "scary-movie-night" either alone or with significant other.

If you like good story before CGI and effects, Axiom... It will surprise you. I Loved it.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Current 7.0 rating is too high.
alanfiske5 March 2019
I understand the desire to cut small-budget movies a break but a 7.0 rating for this film might be deceptive for someone deciding if they want to commit a couple of hours to it. 'The Axiom' is a decent enough movie but it's inferior in nearly every way to the lower-rated but similar 'The Endless.' The latter film has a better script, better acting (except for Taylor Flowers who's great in this), better cinematography and a more self-assured sense of what kind of movie it is. 'The Axiom' is a combination of cosmic horror and monster movie that has some effective moments mixed in with some barely adequate ones. I'm not saying skip this film, I'm only warning you that it's a bit uneven and not deserving of it's current (early March 2019) 7.0 rating.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could've been good
jenniferlynn-4955511 March 2019
I was hoping for a secret gem but nope. I fell asleep quite a bit, I think it was at least 20 minutes too long. I thought the makeup was scary on the finger dude and when you first saw Jessica she was scary, after that she appeared to be a bad Halloween costume. So many questions...

1 why did she not tell them about this dangerous mission, that they were risking their lives for, with no knowledge of?

2 why did she send her friend in first, as a gueani pig?

3 you're looking for your missing sister, seems like a great time to have sex, with your pants on. You had a vision of Mr. Fingers slitting your girlfriend's throat, don't tell her or anyone.

4 why is she searching for her sister with her ass hanging out?

5 you see your friend tied up his sister, is possessed and you have a stick. Why waste time and hit him after he stabs her? Easliy could've been prevented.

6 at the end when she's cralwing backwards to escape Jessica, she ends up at of the portal. Instead of running in a couple feet grabbing her brother and leaving, she continues to yell when he obviously can't hear her.... WHY?

7 why did those guys, who I think we're big game portal hunters, have makeup on?

8 why did they burn her?

9 she had a choice to save her brother or sister. She's right where her brother is, so she chooses her sister and drives to get her, which ended up being a complete waste. Why not save your brother since it's your fault he's here and you got everyone that he loved killed and YOU WERE RIGHT THERE?

10 How did she kill the giant elephant gorilla with a tiny sword?

There's so many more unanswered questions but I have no more energy to give on this movie. My advice watch it for free or don't watch it. She was a selfish character and she got what she deserved.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great camera work, weak everything else
micahgervais1 March 2019
The cameramen, director and editor are just trying to cut their try on whatever they can find to shoot, unfortunately, they landed in this script. It's not a horror, just a movie with some blood in it. As forgettable as the acting is, it's not bad. If you are honestly out if movies to watch, give it a go. Besides that, don't expect anything you'll want to tell your friends about.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely worth a watch
keameo13 February 2019
This film feels like it lives in the same universe as 'resolution' and 'the endless'. It feels like an elaboration and development. Even the landscapes are very similar. All three movies stand alone and are able to be watched enjoyably without any past knowledge of the others, but the best order i'd say would be Resolution, the endless, the axiom. Basically - if watched by itself, it's decent. Worth a watch for someone who enjoys lower budget horror with a decent concept. But if watched after the other two it really gains a further layer. Of course the acting is pretty average and the plot doesn't go as far as it really should have, but its definitely worth an hour or so of your free time.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the WORSE movies ever...
ferdmalenfant24 February 2019
This movie is pure garbage. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT waste your time like I did...REGRETS!Just the worse, terrible, cheesy. Awfully disappointing in every aspect.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just don't bother
nesovic10 April 2019
Incoherent narative, combined with bad actors, bad script and Indian TV shows camera type dialogues is a recipe for disaster. And what a bad movie this is. I knew it was nothing special, but I couldn't do more than a half. Afterwards I read some reviews saying the end is really good, and everything is resolved nicely and logically. Boy, I was naive. Do yourself a favour, stare at the brick wall for two hours, it will bring less frustration than The Axiom
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great potential but lots of misses
adeleysim20 March 2019
Cool concept, but the acting, writing, and creatures were quite lacklustre.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Daphne with an axe in the forest
nogodnomasters10 March 2019
This is another oddball weird forest film. It reminded me of "Yellowbrickroad." I would suggest haters of that film wait until they can see this as a freebie.

Marylyn (Maria Granberg) goes missing in Cinder Park. Her sister and final girl McKenzie (Hattie Smith) organizes a group of friends to be a rescue party. Leon (William Kircher) from Craig's List knows where she is at. He informs McKenzie about the Axiom, a portal to other dimensions. The group enters and weird things happen.

I liked the film up until the last 20 minutes when it takes an odd turn. From then on it goes downhill and never reaches a decent climax. Good characters. Good premise. Good effort by Nicholas Woods.

Guide: F-word. sex. partial nudity.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original B horror with strong start and weaker finish
MissingNvmber4 March 2019
As with most horror movies I see, I didn't know what to think. The film started out like a usual horror trope, young adults putting themselves in the middle of nowhere. Right away the plot device spun away from what I'm familiar with, and I was happy to watch something new rather than "monsters attack campers". The atmospheric tension was foreboding and the impending doom really made for some good jump scares and genuinely scary scenes. The movie was pretty campy with their character archetypes, they even reference the tropes as relating to Scooby Doo and this made for some painful climatic events & conflict resolution. The originality faded from the beginning of the movie till I didn't really care about any of the characters and some dark Romero humor played out till the end. I wasn't satisfied with how the movie ended but I am not a movie director or screen writing so I appreciated the entertainment. Overall I think the movie has enough scares, action and romance to be time well spent. I give it a solid 7/10 and hope others will check it out.
Great movie!
cooperoznowicz23 February 2019
I rented this movie and was hoping for the best and I was very pleasantly surprised with how good this movie was. The directing and writing were top notch. I thought the story was very original and the performances were all very believable. I thought the cast had great chemistry. In particular I really loved William Kircher in this movie. I loved also the monsters in this movie, both what you saw onscreen and also the psychological terror that the characters dealt with in their minds in the film. I thought there were twists and turns in the film that I wasn't expecting and it left me wanting more in the end (the sign of a good film!). The film left me wanting more and I hope that they make a sequel to this because I believe there is more to this story. Overall I would highly recommend this film and loved this film from start to finish!
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not boring
sandginner13 February 2019
I enjoyed this movie in no small part thanks to Hattie Smith's shorty shorts. There, I said it. But really, she is a talented young lady and I think we will be seeing much more of her. The acting overall was decent. The story is interesting, there is enough material in there for a seriously scary horror video game and that's saying a lot. It does suffer a little in the special effects area, maybe due to budget reasons. A sequel with a little more to spend on making the scary parts scarier would be a big success in my opinion. The Axiom bears a lot of resemblance to one recent independent movie, and another not so recent one. But I guess revealing the names of those movies would count as a spoiler, because you would be able to guess what's going to happen. I don't think you will be disappointed with this one.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting and enjoyable
terrencepatrix12 February 2019
The plot synopsis really is pretty much the entire plot. A group of family and friends head to the woods in search of a missing sibling only to encounter a portal to another dimension and bad stuff happens.

What made this movie enjoyable was the acting was at least adequate for these types of films and the camera work was exceptionally good. Very low budget movie, not much in the way of special effects but what was there was quality, but it's the camera work really made this movie. They definitely know how to make the most out of a small budget, the movie didn't look cheap at all and the filming locations were very well scouted.

Another thing I like is that they actually explained some of what was going on. It's become far to common for movies to be overly mysterious to the point you have no clue what's going on at the end of it. Not so in this movie, as it goes on much of what is happening becomes more clear. Also, off topic, but the two leading women are very attractive. If you like indie horror you'll probably like this.
3 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time . Do not watch
framasons-505653 March 2019
This is 2018 , pleaseeee do not make movies if u can't to .
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.