Finding Steve McQueen (2018) Poster

It grows on you
jonalovin-4530719 March 2019
From the beginning, I wanted to dislike this movie. The lead just didn't strike me as very interesting to start. But like the simple plot and easy to digest acting, he gets better as the movie moves on. The ending was simple and endearing. Nah, it's not that amazing or groundbreaking in the least but it's fun and well paced.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely Love/Hiest Movie
brendaniforth19 March 2019
I thought this was a delightful little film. I liked the structure and the way the story unfolds. Anyone who lived through Watergate will also appreciate the time. I loved that we had an appearance by Deep Throat in his official capacity as Deputy Director of the FBI. I also loved seeing Forrest Whitaker as the dogged FBI agent
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK Movie 6.5
jimmyjoe58316 March 2019
This movie is a good date flick, by a guys standard. Girls will probably enjoy it as well. Travis Fimmel is ok as the leading man but it appeared to me that he is still learning his craft. He is more than capably supported by a great group of actors to help him carry this movie. William Fichtner, Forest Whitaker, John Finn and Molly McQueen are engaging and fun to watch. Louis Lombardi steals every scene he utters dialogue in and Rhys Coiro eerily channels Hal Linden. If this movie didn't have the Nixon/True story angle I don't think it would be as captivating.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Enjoyable Heist Movie
KhunLek16 March 2019
Highly fictionalized account of an actual bank robbery that occurred in California, 1972. The main character (Harry Barber), one of the robbers, is a young man who sees himself cut from the same cloth as the actor, Steve McQueen. Despite often having a 'deer in headlights' look about him, Harry unfolds a detailed tale of the robbery some years later to his girlfriend, Molly. The main theme of the heist centers on stealing President Nixon's slush fund money that supposedly is hidden in a safety deposit box with the bank. FBI agents Lambert and Felt (of Nixonian fame as deep cover contact, Deep Throat) are hot on the trail of the heist crew. Both the love story and the heist are an enjoyable watch.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A well written and executed caper picture.
dejapka16 March 2019
A well written and executed caper picture. Many laughs, lots of intrigue and an obvious lack of gratuitous violence. Well worth seeing.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Al Capone's Vault Comes Up Empty, AGAIN!
msebold5519 March 2019
The performances in this movie were great for the most part, and it was definitely a decent caper film. However, the movie was sold on the premise we were going to get the real scoop on the hitherto unreported story of how in 1972 mobsters scored $30 million in dirty slush fund money stashed by Nixon CREEPS in safety deposit boxes in California National Bank. This turned out to be as disappointing as watching Geraldo open Al Capone's vault.

The performances by the two Aussies, Travis Fimmel (Harry Barber) and Tasmanian angel Rachael Tayler (Molly Murphy) were great. They were sincere, likeable, and they had good romantic chemistry. This movie had kind of a "my escape from the mob" theme, and you couldn't help but to root for Harry and Molly to get away and live happily ever after.

The mobster performances were also very good. William Fichtner (crew leader Enzo) gave a good performance, as usual, and watching the gang members interact was enjoyable, although some of the gang members sounded a little more Brooklyn than Youngstown, Ohio.

Forest Whitaker is always enjoyable to watch, but it seemed like his character was there primarily to insert a couple of "facts" into the film. Such as (1) that there seemed to be an awful lot of high-level federal interest in this robbery, and (2) that CREEP member Chuck Coulson had a baseball card collection in one of the safety deposit boxes. Now, I have no idea if these are true, but these are interesting facts. Even taken as true, however, they show little more evidence of a secret $30 million Nixon stash than an average CNN broadcast provides actual evidence of Trump-Russia collusion. No $30 million stash was ever found, and no amount vulgar anti-Nixon rants expressed by several of the characters in this movie changes this fact.

Tell Geraldo to go back home. This one's empty too.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Skip this flick.
ariellillyh14 March 2019
Do not pay money to go watch Finding Steve McQueen. Went to the screening at the LAFS last night with Seth. You would be highly disappointed if you watch this movie and expect a decent film. The movie was made to flop. A token person of color with hardly any lines, Forest Whitaker, I can't understand why he would agree to participate in the making of the film besides a paycheck. A poorly told story with a main character who is beyond awkward and during the Q&A with the "star" cast (minus Forest Whitaker) was a circle jerk instead of a critique talked about the 5 million dollar film being "low budget". Just terrible. Boring, poorly executed, blatantly made for a dead/dying generation. Garbage. IMHO. Skip this flick.
4 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Travesty
Easygoer1020 March 2019
To even mention Steve McQueen, "The King of Cool", in the title of this film is a joke. It is a woeful, pretentious pile of rubbish. I couldnt stand more than 30 minutes of it. Pass this trash up.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a breezy light comedy heist flick based on a true story
blammo_kaboom18 March 2019
Light spoilers due to based on a real person/story but no serious plot points.

While it's not gonna bust any genres and the only somewhat interesting filmmaking thing about it is it's timeline jumps due to it being told in flashbacks... (which are done coherently, but it's not actually interesting, it's the only thing i could stretch to say it was interesting in a film making sense..)

But Travis Fimmel is good as the likable awkward lead.. it's weird seeing him with hair on his head and none on his face from Vikings, lol.. I gotta say, he's got amazing eyes. heh.

really the only thing going for this movie is the cast, and really, the supporting cast at that, the two romantic leads do well enough but it's the support cast that really shine.. but it's enough to make the film a light fun watch on a saturday afternoon..

it's a middle of the road film all around but just edges out on this side of ok.. I enjoyed watching it even tho it really didn't do anything.. it's a "cute" little breezy period piece with a light heist bit thrown in.. it's all loosely based on a real thing and person, Harry Barber.. who was part of a heist in the early 70's who had a whole town and it's sheriff do a letter writing campaign on his behalf to attest to his good character..

so, don't expect much but it does have it's charms.. charming, that's a good one word review. Forest Whitaker is wasted here but Fitchner does his best Fitchner.. it's just light fun but can easily be skipped..
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.