"Game of Thrones" The Iron Throne (TV Episode 2019) Poster

7,145 Reviews
A Message to Dan and Dave
channelsergeant20 May 2019
Dear Dan and Dave,

I have long been a huge fan and an avid supporter of Game of Thrones all the way since Season 1, granted I regretfully have not had the joys of reading any of the wonderful George RR Martins books. I have, however spent hundreds of hours exploring the Game of Thrones lore, history of Westeros, fan theories, detailed interviews and everything in-between - It's fair to say I'm a more passion fan than most.

I am no Hollywood writer - or in fact any writer for that matter - but I believe I share the opinion of so many GoT fans. I want to start off by saying thank you. Thank you to the visual effects crew, stunt co-ordinators, body doubles, extras, set designers, costume designers, camera men, George RR Martin, directors, the brilliant actors and so many other people behind the scenes of this once all-time great show - Not only have we the fans been incredibly let down, but the people who have put their physical blood, sweat and tears into the show have also had their beautiful hard work defiled.

I could go into incredible detail about all the things wrong with this season, some notable events: Jon being exiled for killing Danny who murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent people, Jon's heritage being seemingly not important, the woeful execution of Danny going mad, Bran being king even though he didn't do anything at all, Drogon flying off into the 'sunset', Rhaegal being killed, missing the reaction of Sansa and Arya's when Jon revealed his real parents and most of all for me, no one sticking up for Jon in the meeting with all the powerful lords... He literally killed the woman he loved and saved countless lives in the process and he gets nothing in return, its shameful.

With the holes in the show - and there as so many - I think it's a pathetic excuse of an ending. HBO wanted 10 seasons, but foolishly Dan Weiss and David Benioff decided they had enough, they wanted to wrap the show up so they could make mountains of money butchering yet another beloved franchise (Star Wars). I understand that not everything deserves a happy and perfect ending, nor can you please everyone. However, we spent nearly a decade following these wonderful characters, watching them develop and intelligently interact with each other since season 1. The ending to this show will never be forgotten, for the wrong reasons unfortunately. I hope Dan and David come out and apologise to the fans, we are the people that kept the show running, without the fans support there would have been no Game of Thrones on TV at all.

The characters deserved better. The whole crew deserved better. The fans deserved better. George deserved better.

Regards,

A Game of Thrones fan
11,937 out of 13,240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show became a Meme
diegofernandezv20 May 2019
The Good things:
  • Music. Better than ever.
  • Work Behind Cameras. It can´t be denied.
  • Acting, despise of the poor writing.
  • Arya, the Hound and Jorah were the few characters who behaved consistent.

The Bad Things:
  • S08E01 and S08E02 filler episodes with dumb fan services scenes.
  • S08E03 was a joke. Nobodody saw anything thanks to HBO, the Night king was a joke, everybody had plot armor, a lot of dumb fan service scenes, nothing really happened that affected the lore in the long term.
. Dothraki´s charge was just stupid. The entire plan to defend Winterfell sucked.
  • Bran made no sense the entire season. We never really understood his purpose. Why did he warg during the battle of winterfell?
  • S08E04, another filler episode. Euron´s fleet was full of Hawkeyes.
  • So DAENERYS kinda forgot about Euron. Really????
  • S08E05, Euron´s fleet became a bunch of Stormtroopers.
  • So Daenerys destroyed the entire fleet with no problems at all. Why didn´t she do that in S08E04 after they killed her dragon? The ships were attacking her fleet, so she could easily flied up and then she justo does the dive bombing thing. Euron could have still survived, killed a dragon, and he coul still capture MESSUNDAE in the beach. The he could have said to Cersei "We lost half our fleet but we killed a Dragon and captured this girl".
  • So the city surrenders easily, and Daenerys became Anakin Skywalker. Made no sense. It made sense for her to become the mad queen, but not that way.
  • So what´s the point of the letters that Varys wrote? Useless.
  • S08E06, so nobody mentions that Jon is the true heir to the throne, not even during the election of a new king.
  • Daenerys´s death was cheesy.
  • During the election of the new king and during the council reunion, GOT turned into a Sitcom, a bad one.
  • Jon was ruined this season. He was foolish, dumb and with bad lines.
  • Tyrion was like Sherlock Holmes during S01-S06. He turned into Lestrade.
  • Bronn´s arc made no sense.
  • Sadly, Euron´s arc made no sense at all.
  • So Cersei and Jaimie could have survived if they wanted. they just needed to move a little.

I could go on...
3,730 out of 4,223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better if Whitewalkers had won and last episode just silence.
objviewer20 May 2019
Oh my. It was like a High School drama class was given access to the GOT sets and allowed to act out their own little scripts.

Where were the characters? GONE! Wonderful characters. NOT THERE! Jon Snow was so bland as to be almost lobotomized. Bron, Sam, Davos, Sansa, Arya, Yara Greyjoy, Brienne - all sitting around in that nothing scene - it was like the actors were there, but no one had given them any lines for their characters; because all the characters had disappeared into some talent sucking ether.

To say the dialogue was like in a bad soap opera is too generous.

Clear D&D just wanted to get this over with. This series should have ended with Season 6.

So sad. So sad.
5,425 out of 6,324 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HBO wanted 10 seasons. GRRM wanted 12. D&D wanted Star Wars.
mikedartlife24 May 2019
Its sad that one of the best TV shows of all time concluded the way it did. The ending wasn't bad, but the 7 season buildup only to have this mad dash to the end is awful. Nothing was explained, nothing was written well, terrible pacing! Absolutely disrespectful to fans! This last season makes it really hard to recommend the show to new viewers or repeat viewings. If the writers didn't care why should we?
569 out of 651 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I always told myself that no matter how much I hate an episode, it will never deserve an 1/10.
argyroudis_st20 May 2019
Really.

I never understood why a person would rate something 1/10.

Until now.
2,056 out of 2,389 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rushed
amal-saleh-kc20 May 2019
Everything is rushed and disappointing, i have no problem with the ending... my problem is how we reached this ending. They massacred the show.
1,983 out of 2,327 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is utterly disrespectful
Celestialwit20 May 2019
Forget all subplots, forget mystery around the White Walkers, forget The Faceless Men, Jon's heritage, forget that there once was logic and common sense in the series. The show lost everything George R.R. Martin created - a complex world of utter fantasy and everyday life with politics, war strategies and basic human needs combined in a beautiful and authentic saga which you wish would never come to an end. And the showrunners did everything in their power to ruin it. What a shame.

3 stars for the music, actors' performance and a tearful last scene of Drogon with Dany.
3,857 out of 4,570 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good.
I don't even have the energy to complain anymore. The ending sucked. That's it.
3,862 out of 4,673 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How do I rate 0/10?
nuno-5826520 May 2019
Because it was that bad. Such a disappointment. My expectations were below the ground already, yet this finale still managed to leave me dumbfounded.
3,906 out of 4,799 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After this final episode, D&D should be penalised career wise
faunakatmb12 June 2019
This final episode was executed poorly, and they should have to hand back every cent they earn't for it, and the other episodes of the season. What could have been beautiful is now just ash in my mouth.
30 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
W- what?
haris-mustajbasic21 May 2019
Four stars for:
  • the first one for music (it is incredible, hands down)
  • the second one for work behind the camers and for all of the staff that worked hard to create such an experience
  • the third one for the few of the characters which development was huge and they were actually viewable and likeable
  • the fourth one is for the actors, who actually played their roles perfectly (even if the script sucked)

Six missing stars are for:
  • episode 1 of season 8
  • episode 2 of season 8
  • episode 3 of season 8
  • episode 4 of season 8
  • episode 5 of season 8
  • episode 6 of season 8

Thank you for your time.
845 out of 1,029 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Disappointment...
ahmetkozan20 May 2019
We left behind a year in which the fans had been waiting a long time, ran from theories to theories, brainstormed and all expectations were destroyed in the 8th season. At some point, I can almost say that I was almost happy to say the series is over. Why does such a series end up so bad? Character development was ignored. Very big disappointment. It would be better if Drogon and Ghost made sex in the final.

I would have preferred a finale that was left open but created a big effect. We didn't need to know what was happening to every character, that they were all happy and strong. Almost democracy was coming. I couldn't see the finale that was bittersweet. The creators of the series once again proved how unsuccessful they were without a source. You can see this difference in diplomatic sentences easily by opening a random episode from the first three to four seasons of the series. 1/10
3,633 out of 4,553 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing and rushed
cameronhiggins-2283012 June 2019
Dan and Dave had clearly rushed to finish game of thrones so they could move on to star wars and ruin that too
25 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
she's muh queen
johnwyoung13 June 2019
I dun wan et

This is what Kit Harrington said for 6 episodes of Season 8. Writing: Atrocious.
35 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greatest TV show of all time had the worst finale
ljeezo20 May 2019
There's a poetic justice to that.

if you are considering getting into this show now, save yourself.

and now my watch has ended.
2,881 out of 3,722 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just like Kit Harington said; 'Dissapointing'
esmensemihuysal20 May 2019
The expectations were so high, it was almost bound to be dissapointing. Safe to say I was feeling let down after watching this episode.
1,919 out of 2,473 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrendous
rwagner61812 June 2019
Worst conclusion to any TV show ever. Don't even bother with this season or the last.
24 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel like Tommen in 6x10
juliagianinne20 May 2019
Well, they did subverted my expectations. That this would be satisfying in any way.
1,838 out of 2,378 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't tell me I don't know this show
irishlion-0387520 May 2019
If you're giving any of these episodes a 10/10, defending it unconditionally because you think this is what game of thrones is, you're very sadly mistaken and need to go back to watching Disney's Star Wars movies because you're devoid of recognizing any semblance of quality story telling. I've been with this show from the very beginning. I watched in awe as Ned Stark was beheaded, the red wedding came to a bloody climax, Jon Snow was betrayed and stabbed to death for doing what he thought was right. None of that was 'subverting my expectations.' It was good, quality storytelling that stayed consistent with the progression of each character's storyline and showed who the characters were and would do. In this last season, we've seen characters act out in ways that are completely inconsistent with how they've acted the entire series prior. We watched the story arcs of Jaime, the hound, and Dany all become completely null and void. We watched Jon Snow become a glorified extra, demanding the question why he was even brought back from the dead. We watched the night king become a B-movie villain. We watched the character assassinations of greats like Varys, Cersei, and Tyrion. We did not get one semblance of a satisfactory ending and there's nothing you can say that will justify this lazily thrown together abomination that is game of thrones season 8. This show now officially has the worst ending of any show in the history of television and we're right to be angry.
2,467 out of 3,217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A parody ending to what was a brilliant series
rdahwich20 May 2019
Season 8 has been a complete disappointment.

The final episode is a disgrace. The way they have butchered story lines such as us seeing Dany for 7 seasons being trained how to rule to suddenly becoming the Mad Queen. Jon whose only purpose is to say uh dunt wunt it and has been borderline useless since he was resurrected.

The finale is what a 14 year old fanfic would end it as.

D&D ruined the series as soon as they ran out of material from GRRM.
2,320 out of 3,060 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A mess of nothing
samkiam12 June 2019
After a wild ride for 8 season the writers have decided to jump ship faster than Missendai disappearing out of a badly written episode. What is sad is that they could have given this historical television series a good send off, instead they barely adhere to the basics of screenwriting. To top it all off the constant fade outs bring the entire story for the episode to a strange fever dream that never actually ends. The dialogue is bleak and filled with half efforts that don't adhere to the overall theme of the episode. The fact that the writers also directed this proves their insolence and otherwise horrible background in filmmaking. Forgetting multiple points that happened in the previous 7 seasons and 5 episodes they forget points, beats, and character involvement with the scenery around them. What happened to the horse? How did Grey Worm beat Jon Snow to the throne? How in the hell did the lords roll over Jon for the throne either way? Or when Grey Worm left letting Jon do whatever he wanted?

These two have only had this as their resume besides two episodes after, I think they should take a few more undergrad courses on creative writing before being given anything else.

Sad to see a well developed world, characters, actors, set designers, cinematographers, costume and makeup designers, graphics, lighting, sound, props, I could keep going really.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In with a roar, out with a whimper
wrestler-7992012 June 2019
This episode was an awful end to the series. Ultimately the writers were clearly disinterested in finishing the show correctly for the past 2 seasons, thus the shortened episode number and seemingly instantaneous transportation across a massive continent. HBO should be ashamed that they didn't recognize it 3 years ago. they should have replaced the showrunners for those that would have kept the excellent standards of the first 6 seasons of GoT. It's as id we(the fans) ordered a brand Ford Mustang with all the bells and whistles, and instead we got a rusted out 70s Ford fiesta. Expectations subverted, I guess.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought this would be the show I'd rewatch every year all my life.
marsagishviligig20 May 2019
I'm certain I won't be watching it again, thought the same when S8E3 came out, but I gave the show benefit of the doubt. Now I'm certain. There's no fun rewatching it when you know how disappointing the ending will be. Thank you D&D. To the amazing actors and the rest of the crew: You did an amazing job. Those reviews aren't for you.
1,333 out of 1,754 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most anticlimactic plot ever
Schopenpurrr20 May 2019
The way Dany, Cersei, and the Night King died, is like a bad and rushed joke. Worst ending ever to such a brilliant show!
2,061 out of 2,758 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre, idiotic, and arrogant
abderraoufziani8 June 2019
I regret watching season 8. I felt let down and betrayed. The time and emotions I invested in this story were a waste. Nothing made sense. I know real life can be hopeless, ugly, and unfair. The reason I immerse myself in story is to look for hope, beauty, reward. The creators of game of thrones, were arrogant and violated the trust of their fans. They exceeded their remit as story tellers, and went on a egoistic and self-important journey to..mediocrity. The WWII simplistic allegory was especially laughable and ironic, getting drunk with power and blinded by previous success, is exactly what happened to the show makers.
44 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.