American Exit (2019) Poster

(2019)

Lacklustre road movie
omendata18 May 2019
I was really hoping for something special with this as it has the wonderfully weird Udo Kier in it and I like Dane Cook and there is even an appearance from old timer John Savage but the film has such terrible writing that it goes nowhere even with all that acting talent.

They should have carried the journey further to Mexico and made more effort with some exciting scenes down Mexico way but instead it goes nowhere and ends on a dusty road. The script is about as dusty and barren as the road they end up on. I also did not like the photography with its yellow tone and poor panning shots, it made the film feel cramped and a bit depressing.

The action is very poorly orchestrated and the character interaction between father and son seems overly forced and unbelievable. The story seems as if it has been written and then re-written and still not right so they just decided to go with it and cross their fingers.

Everything about the film just says meh!
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
sad sad sad
dan_pap23 June 2019
"Is your face a joke?"

Family movies are almost always a miss, but this one is an absolute disaster. The acting is terrible, and the story is so predictable it's not even funny. I can't think of one good thing to say about this grotesque excuse for a film. Gosh, there's not even a good character. Do yourself a favor and don't even consider this
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A HUGE Misfire
hampersnow-2890518 June 2019
After watching this movie, about a dying man trying to reconnect with a son he abandoned years before, all I can ask is "why was this made ?". Movies like this have been made before and better. Filled with improbabilities and stupidity there seemed to be holes in the story or maybe scenes missing. I wouldn't doubt that realizing they had a bomb on their hands, they went through and re-edited this into the jumbled mess it is. If this was suppose to be an endearing road trip between father and son, it wasn't. Dane Cook and Levi Miller seem to be trying their best, but the script and plot were failing them throughout and in the end I felt nothing except that I'd wasted my time watching this. If the trailer makes you want to see this, believe me, the trailer makes this look much more interesting then it actually is. To add to it, they skip around a bit in the story, making it, at times, confusing, and the make-up artist put so much bright red lipstick on Levi Miller it's distracting. Poorly made on every level and a must to avoid unless you are a fan of the 2 stars.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did they steal the idea
roggy-468387 June 2019
Sounds the same as the Australian movie Charlie and Boots,father and son trying to reconnect
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
UNWATCHABLE
mad_crack_scientist20 June 2019
Cliches after cliches after cliches - American Exit is one of the worst movies of 2019. Dane Cook tried really hard, but his performance seems overly dramatic, sometimes to the comical level - My suggestion - he should stick to his comic roles.

The direction is bland. Editing is poor. The filters they used hurt the eyes.

Don't waste your time watching this movie.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible story and acting
DAVIDBANKSCOMEDY8 June 2019
Loved it!! Great father and son story that keeps you rooting for dad all the way through
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good script & production.
atraisfire18 May 2019
Overall an excellent presentation of the American Society. Fathers are faceing hard times.
2 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent road movie drama about fahter & son trying to re-unite
Classics-Movie-Fan30 June 2019
All about the father & son getting to know each other a little. Dane Cook is very good in this.

He deserves to be given a lot of credit for solid acting dealing with a difficult subject matter in a sensitive way.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.