Last Flag Flying (2017) Poster

Solid Performances, Great Script, Lots of Emotion.
Obi_Bamm_Karaoke9 November 2017
When looking at the total body of work of writer/director/producer Richard Linklater, it would appear that this is a guy that relishes on throwing the movie going public constant curveballs. From the indie darling "Slacker," (which people like Kevin Smith cite as a film that helped them become a filmmaker to begin with) to the "Before" trilogy with Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, cult hits like "Dazed and Confused" and "SubUrbia" and the Oscar darling "Boyhood," his diversity in storytelling is one that makes sure that can challenge both himself and the audience. When I found out that his latest venture was adapting and directing Darryl Poniscan's novel (which Poniscan also helped with the screenplay) "Last Flag Flying," I was definitely intrigued by yet another left turn for Linklater.

In this film set near the end of 2003, Steve Carell plays Larry "Doc" Shepherd, who shows up at the bar owned by Sal Nealon (Bryan Cranston) after not seeing each other for almost thirty years since they served in the Marine Corps in Vietnam together. With shared experiences that they are not sure they want to talk about, they seek out their third running buddy from those days in Richard Mueller (Laurence Fishburne), who is now a reverend in a small church. As they are all catching up with each other, Shepherd drops on them his reason for getting together: his son (a Marine himself) has been killed overseas, and he wants Mueller and Nealon to come with him to not only help bury him but along the way heal themselves and each other.

This film was a pleasant surprise for me. The vibe that I got from the one sheet and reading about it was one where I thought would venture into darkness and politics quickly and for the duration of the two hours that it would be on the screen. While there is not much more than a smattering of preachiness here, it is Poniscan's story of these three characters that is relied on to keep things moving, as it should be. These three actors are such powerhouses in their own rights that their work together makes this story even more powerful and even fun. There are some great comedic moments, driven mostly by Cranston's character, that keep the balance of "Last Flag Flying" in perfect harmony with its drama and emotion.

There is also a "name to watch" here in J. Quinton Johnson. Mainly known for being one of the victims of the horrid "Dirty Dancing" experiment earlier this year, don't let that fool you. This young man, as the best friend of Shepherd's son who was there with him when he passed, shows amazing emotional range and compassion that shines through even as he shares the frame with some of the biggest actors of the last three decades. His performance is truly impressive, and I look for much bigger things for him in the future.

Amazon Studios continues to gain steam with their cinematic choices, and along with Lionsgate, they have another winner with "Last Flag Flying". Releasing over Veterans' Day weekend, this is a very respectful and engaging telling of a tale of our service men and women both current and former that runs the gambit of emotion and is truly a great way to spend a couple of hours in any form.
56 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A war film without the war
rsg-255246 February 2018
Richard Linklater on Last Flag Flying: 'We're not meant to kill. We're not cut out for it' I agree. This film hits the right tone, respectful to the men who have served this country, while also pointing out the futility of war. The ensemble cast is brilliant: Steve Carell does such a subtle job with a great deal of poignancy and what can you say about Bryan Cranston's burned out veteran who is constantly looking for a good time, while Laurence Fishburne is marvelous as a pastor. Such a wonderful film... another great film by Linklater.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hilariously profound film with three great lead performances.
FallonTimberlake201624 October 2017
Last Flag Flying is a comedy/drama from the acclaimed director of Boyhood and Dazed and Confused, Richard Linklater. It stars Steve Carell, Laurence Fishburne, and Bryan Cranston as three friends from the Vietnam War who get back together when Carell's son dies in action.

Despite the serious subject matter, this movie is absolutely hilarious. Cranston is absolute comedic gold. He hasn't been as funny as he is here since his Malcolm in the Middle days, and even then he may not have been quite as funny as he is here.

You would think going in that Carell would be the comedian here, but instead he is the dramatic anchor. Carell gives a surprisingly emotional performance, keeping the comedy to a minimum.

Fishburne is between the two, giving both comedy and drama when it's needed. Of the three it is hard to say which gives the best performance, but the edge must go to Cranston. The movie would probably be ten times more boring without him. There are scenes where Cranston single-handedly made the entire audience in my theater howl with laughter.

Last Flag Flying doesn't just give comedy however, it also tackles a great amount of issues that a lesser film would not have pulled off. This film explores the purpose of life, a subject that Linklater is very good at tackling. I would list some of the other issues it tackles, but if I did i would probably be here all day.

This movie is definitely not perfect. Near the middle it starts to drag, which is not that large of an issue, but for one or two scenes it is noticeable.

There is also a very manufactured conflict in the film. It feels like the writers stuck it in just so there was a conflict of some sort, but it easily could have been taken out and the movie would not have changed.

Another issue involves tone. There are a couple scenes where I genuinely could not tell if the film was trying to be serious or funny, but this, like all of the other flaws, is not that big of a deal.

Overall, I recommend Last Flag Flying because of both its hilarity and its drama. It is one of the funniest movie of the year and very profound, despite its flaws.

I give Last Flag Flying a B+.
66 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film worth seeing!
browngr328 September 2017
This film was excellent. For a drama, it had a lot of light moments. Bryan Cranston, Lawrence Fishburne, Steve Carrell and J. Quinton Johnson were great. As a Vietnam Veteran, I related to this very well. I won't give any spoilers here but it touched home for me. A movie worth seeing.
61 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Acting
kalena-9585420 November 2017
I know this won't win an academy award but not because of the acting or the plot of the movie. This was an excellent movie, it was sad in parts and very funny in others. Great acting by everyone. My boyfriend and I went, he is a Vietnam Vet and the theater was full of people our age but no younger people. Very sad.
38 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great idea, poor execution
sandrene22 November 2017
This film seems to suffer from an identity crisis. It attempts to tackle many underrepresented topics pertaining to the effect war has on veterans and their families, but it stretched itself too thin and each plot line ended up being a weak caricature of what they were trying to accomplish. With the exception of Bryan Cranston's character, Sal, and at times J. Quinton Johnston's character, Washington, all of the characters weren't very well fleshed out and none of them saw any change from the beginning of the film to the end. The dark subject matter was sprinkled with random bits of humor that, instead of lightening the tone, just felt awkward and out of place, while the story jumped around in so many places, it was hard to tell what it was really about.

There was a flier outside my screening that gave more information about the veteran issues that were highlighted in this film, which leads me to believe that it was made with a greater purpose than just to entertain. This made me even more disappointed in the fact that the writing and cinematography were often lazy, and the overall film felt like one done by an amateur filmmaker, not by a writer/director that's been around for decades. Although there are relatable moments in this film, I'm sure even more so for people who have experienced war, as a whole it is barely a step up from an over politicized after school special.
42 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something I dread and look forward to
reece-771-1073993 April 2018
Watching this movie took me through the motions, happy, sad, egotistical, angry, sad, nostalgic, fearful, respectful and impressed.

This movie takes you through friendship, loss, growth, walllowing and back through the same again.

Three men so different yet so connected reconnect after years and years of change, some changes Inside some only outside.

They relive old moments and help each other explerience new once through their own independent changes..

It's emotional funny and inspiring..

Bryan Cranston and Steve Carelle steak the show....
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Friendships built in tough times are the strongest when times are tough
ccorral41927 October 2017
Last Flag Flying. There's no denying, Director Richard Linklater ("Boyhood," "Before Midnight") knows his way around relationship films. Here, the reserved Doc Shephard (Steve Carell) reunites with his former marine buddies "the no holds bar" Sal (Bryan Cranston) and now man of the cloth Rev. Mueller (Laurence Fishburne) to identify and bury Doc's deceased son. With an unspoken history between the men, the reunion and journey is continually filled with tension. When by-the- book Colonel Wilits (Yul Vazquez "Captain Phillips") tries to stand in the way of the guys mission, especially after truths are told, comrade in arms and best friend to the deceased Washington (J. Quinton Johnson - currently on Broadway "Hamilton") join the men as they prove once again, friendships built in tough times are the strongest when times are tough. Based a novel by Darrl Ponicsan, Linklater and him have adapted a touching and honest film that equally pulls at your heart strings and makes you laugh. All the key players here are at the top of the acting game and should be recognized for their contributions. What I especially liked about this film was that the history between the men and the story behind the death were all told without flashbacks. And, when the terrific Cicely Tyson appeared on screen, one could feel the audiences appreciation for her years of screen presences. To date, this is the best all around film I've seen, and you shouldn't miss it.
26 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A moving rehearsal
danielledecolombie22 November 2017
I had the feeling the film was shot before anyone was ready. I love Richard Linklater, Bryan Cranston and Laurence Fishburne, Steve Carrell is also very good but I still have to surrender to his characters. I'm far too aware of him, the actor and Last Flag Flying puts that in evidence. This wonderful actors needed to get those characters a bit more rehearsal time. Also the look is so drab that I'm not sure if that was intentional or if it's just the new digital age. In any case I was moved and I was glad I saw it.
31 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I laughed and I almost cried...
mmezajr10 November 2017
This was an enjoyable movie. I think it was deep when it needed to be and light when it needed it. I laughed and I would almost came to tears (and I don't normally do that). I followed the story line and it was eventful. I will say it felt like a long time to finally get to the burial but it was a fun adventure. Breaking Bad star was amazing and funny. Lawrence did a great job playing his part. And Steve did amazing. Great display of emotions and carried his part nicely. Good movie to watch. I was not in the military so I am not as sensitive to how the marines were portrayed in this movie but I know that they make a huge sacrifice for serving for our country and I have nothing but respect for all military branches. I felt good after leaving this movie and you will too.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The outstanding performances can't save this dull, long and pointless script
TheTopDawg24 December 2017
I would have given this film a 1 if it wasn't for the outstanding performances from Bryan Cranston, Laurence Fishburne and Steve Carell. I was struggling to stay awake for this 2+ hour dull, long and pointless melodrama that I question why it was classified also as a comedy. I didn't laugh or even smile once. For that matter, it wasn't even a war film. It's was strictly drama. Richard Linklater gets a 7 for his directing but a 2 for his screenplay. Had the pace been much faster and had some highs and lows to keep me interested, I would have enjoyed it more. But it's only a 5/10 from me and only due to the outstanding performances.
47 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sentimental in a great way
mmvandeven6 May 2018
Great movie with a good story line. It's kind of sentimental but in a nice way- you won't mind sobbing over it.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Linklater's Best Films
larrys32 February 2018
I thought this was one of director Richard Linklater's best films, as he also co-wrote the screenplay with Darryl Poniscan, from whose book the movie is based. The three leads here Bryan Cranston, Steve Carell, and Laurence Fishburne give terrific performances, with Yul Vasquez and J. Quinton Johnson adding well to the mix in supporting roles.

This film can be dark, crass, and very unsettling one moment but also be poignant and laced with humor that works more often than not. Also, the movie can be brutally anti-military at times, yet strongly patriotic as well. Somehow, the filmmakers managed to blend all of this together effectively.

All in all, I found this to be an exceptional film that stayed with me long after it was over.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
no need for the Shore Patrol
ferguson-68 November 2017
Greetings again from the darkness. Apprehension and trepidation are the emotions that strike whenever anyone compares a movie to the classic 1973 Hal Ashby/ Jack Nicholson film THE LAST DETAIL. That holds true even if the novel the film is based on was written by the same author (Darryl Ponicson) who wrote "The Last Detail" (1970), and even if the new film is directed by one of the finest directors working today – Richard Linklater. This latest doesn't play like a true sequel, but the reuniting of three men who served together in Vietnam does hammer home a couple of interesting statements while also delivering the type of dramedy that 2017 audiences tend to connect with.

Larry "Doc" Shepherd (Steve Carell), a former Navy medic, has had the type of year that no one deserves. It's 2003 and he has just been notified that his Marine son was killed in action while on duty in the war in Iraq. This comes only a few months after Doc lost his beloved wife to breast cancer. It's too much for him to handle on his own, so he embarks on a mission to ask his Vietnam buddies from three decades prior to accompany him to claim his son's body at Arlington National Cemetery.

His two buddies are former Marines Sal Nealon (Bryan Cranston) and Richard Mueller (Laurence Fishbourne). Sal is a washed out dive bar owner and Mueller is now the Reverend at a small church. The three men share the burden of a war secret that each has tried to forget, and they begin what's basically a road trip movie of middle aged men bonding during what is the absolute low point in life for one of them. Simultaneously, it also seems like an opportunity for all three to rejoin the living.

Lost idealism is the shared trait now among the three men, though their levels of cynicism vary. Edwin Starr sang it, and the characters in this movie openly question: War … What is it good for? Doc, Sal and Mueller have separated themselves from memories of war in three distinct ways – family, booze, and God. It's only by reconnecting with each other that they begin the long overdue process of reflection. TV's are tuned to the capture of Saddam Hussein from the spider-hole, and the similarities of the Vietnam and Iraq wars are contemplated. These are patriotic men who once trusted the government, but are now so disenchanted they ask "what's the point?"

Mr. Cranston has the showiest role, but it's Mr. Carell who shines as the still-in-shock father. J Quinton Johnson also excels as the young Marine charged with accompanying the gentlemen, and the best scene of the film features Cicely Tyson as the mother of a long ago fallen soldier who crossed paths with the three leads. As you might expect in a Linklater movie, the musical choices are unusual and spot on. Bob Dylan ("Not Dark Yet"), Neil Young ("Old Man"), Eminem ("Without Me"), and Levon Helm ("Wide River to Cross") are all included.

The film is certainly an unusual blend of comedy, tragic drama, and contemporary political commentary. Unfortunately, the contrivances are too many and too frequent to allow the film and characters to breathe and achieve the greatness of a true message movie. It teases us with flashes us brilliance and then pokes us in the ribs with another goofy sidebar as if to say "just kidding". It seems this would have been better served as an intimate portrayal of these three aging men who were willing to die for their country than as a giant political anti-war statement and an accusation of how evil the government is. The ultimate message Linklater drills home: be a good friend, and be a good person. We can never have enough of those.
18 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to like this movie
breiver17 January 2018
But in the end it was just a big meh.

Overly long and not very well scripted - which is a shame as it was a great cast.
31 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go see this movie. We don't get American dramas like this too much anymore.
MisterWhiplash20 November 2017
Last Flag Flying, from its title to the author of the book to the three central characters to the entire milieu and even down to specific places (from Virginia to New Hampshire, and mostly by train), cant help but be compared and measured up to The Last Detail, Hal Ashby and Robert Towne's towering work of early 70s/Vietnam era tragic-comedy about two Navy officers taking a man to the brig for a petty offense. I'm sure Linklater as a filmmaker knows this all too well, so for him the challenge was to make it appealing to those people (like me) who have seen TLD about a dozen times and at the same time to those who have no idea what that is. It's a rarity in an American cinema that is defined today largely by franchise potential and nostalgic-fetishism for things of $ value to have a *spiritual sequel* at all, let alone one that works. Luckily for us, Linklater hits his dramatic goldmine here with an easy and effort that seems minimal. Which, of course, makes it all the more of an astonishing feat.

But here's the thing: Last Detail *is* different from this film in a key aspect- Marines. There was a line from "Badads" Buddusky in that (Nicholson, who this time is Cranston, more or less, maybe less prone to full-blown outbursts though anger is there) where he said in a moment of vocalizing his sympathy for Meadows, the poor sod off to the Brig: "Marines are assholes, you know that? It takes a sadistic temperament to be a Marine." I don't know if that was in Ponicsans original Last Detail book, but I have to wonder if that was on the mind of Linklater when he changed up the characters (I believe the book is a direct followup to the original characters, and for a time Nicholson and Freeman were sought to reprise and fill those LD roles respectively) - what happens when we see these 'sadistic' beings as older men, weathered over time after decades of Vietnam having kicked their asses? Larry is the first name of Carrells character, also an ex-brig man, though why he was put away is left carefully ambiguous, and yet he is so soft spoken... Most likely because at any moment one suspects he might just burst into tears as, in this story, he is a recent widower and even more recent father to a slain Marine from Iraq 2003.

So once again its a "road movie" as Cranston's Sal and Fishburne's Muller (close enough to Mule) are sought by Larry to help him with the funeral arrangements, chiefly to bring the body to New Hampshire. This is not, of course, by the wish of the Marines who want the guy buried in Arlington; how much the lieutenant or captain or whomever impresses this upon Larry is striking and could seem overbearing, but that's the point - this is as much about the system these men have equally embraced and have discovered is a massive hunk of s**t, so to spiel, when it comes to really reckoning with human beings. And along the way there's a train ride where characters grow closer and joke around (its genuinely funny behavior too, which is so welcoming because it's both disarming and helps to diffuse problematic tension with a younger marine who was Larry Jr's best friend in Iraq), and another stop off in New York where the trio miss the train and spend a night just soaking in the city. Where Last Detail may have shown our intrepid (notantibutclose) heroes going to a party to get high and hit on girls, or get drunk or go to a whorehouse, now with a reverend in their midst (Fishburne by the way has the finest material, dramatically, comedically, everything, in so long I cant even remember) they get these magical things called cell phones, at Sal's distinct insistence, and a stop at a diner.

All of this could be too much shoved in our faces like "eh eh, remember that, remember this," but it doesn't work that way. This is a director so confident in his material and his actors that the pace is perfect; it reflects this time that has to balance how Larry is still in a vulnerable place (also the marine friend too who knows some things that lead to an awkward admission in front of the captain character), but trying to be among human beings who can genuinely comfort him and make him laugh and also reckon with their own past ghosts. These are people who exist in their own story, and the shades to the previous Ponicsan adaptation are like icing on a sweet drama cake.

All the cast is excellent here, but aside from Cranston, who one expects will be stellar (and is, makes it seem so effortless too when of course this takes as much character work as Heisenberg did), Carrell quietly walks away with this. He doesn't say much but that's they key: he's never not listening, even when he is a little lost in grief, and he is easily the starkest difference from what Quaid did in TLD. This is someone who has nothing left but tries and actually succeeds in carrying himself with dignity (or as much as possible). Yet he can be forceful, like he is with the marines when he first sees his son and then finds out what happens to him. Its a masters class in director and actor clicking in a way that is so quiet you almost don't notice it, and that's the key - by the end, a typical letter-discovery reading scene feels so earned.

This is deeply felt, haunted, but not without a sense of humor. It's what I want out of movies
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great ensemble piece with meaning
secondtake1 August 2018
Last Flag Flying (2017)

A great, low-key mixture of comedy and sadness. The more it went on the more I appreciated the situation, which unfolds like a play, and the ensemble acting, which is sharp. Bryan Cranston steals the show as the outgoing practical bartender veteran, but Laurence Fishburne and Steve Carell are really spot on, too, in deliberately restrained ways. The film is trying to get to something here. At first it seems to be about some guys coming to terms with their time in Viet Nam, and how it compromised them then, with repurcussions ever onward. Then a slow critique of war and of the US approach to war, pretending everyone in uniform is always a hero, and fighting for questionable (or worse) causes. But an important third element grows-the actual meaning these men have for each other. They hadn't seen each other in decades, but their comraderie was almost unbroken because of some deep bond formed in wartime. And when it really comes down to it, even as they reject and hate the government for what they were forced to do, they still understood honor and respect. Including a love of country, somehow. That it's there, despite the flaws. Or something like that. (There are complications, and it would be easy and shameful to oversimplify.) The big point is: see this and give it time to settle in and warm up. The three men are deliberately an odd mix, and there are a couple of scenes that are rather too neatly contrived to make a fast point in the narrative, but overall it makes sense and is moving.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average Melodrama About Reunited Veterans Enjoyable For Cranston and Fishburne's Performances Over Carell's
MichaelFab9 November 2017
Average soapy melodrama of three Veterans reuniting 30 years later is lifted by "Rick" Linklater and Darryl Ponicsan's writing and great performances by Bryan Cranston as a bar owner and Laurence Fishburne as a minister, more than main character Steve Carell.

Three former Vietnam servicemen meet 30 years later in 2003 when one of their sons is killed serving in Iraq. The three travel to Arlington and Delaware to see the body, destined for Boston. Carell's son, he is told, "died with honor serving his country."

As he mourns, his two friends learn what really happened from the soldier's best friend, a young marine escorting the body. He didn't die in battle. He was shot at a public market by a local when they went to buy soft drinks during their mission moving supplies for Iraqi schools.

After he demands to see his deceased son, he is so emotionally affected that the three decide to bring the body back home themselves, rather than let the military hold a funeral and burial.

This provides some mediocre humor in a few scenes with devious Cranston being the wild card, taking over the transportation, buying his friends their first cell phones and the three being chased by Homeland Security.

The story inspires us with the camaraderie of these three marines who survived to reminisce of their other close friend who did not. It shows the secrets of war and how our fallen heroes may have died through different circumstances than their families were told.

Such as their own friend killed in Vietnam while the other three were being irresponsible and not protecting each other. They visit his mother who thinks her son died saving them. As they sit on her couch they hide the truth. Should they reveal that her son's death may have been partly their fault or let her continue to believe what the government told her 30 years ago?
17 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny AND touching!
luvsmovies231 October 2017
I just saw this in a packed theater at the SCAD Savannah Film Fest and liked it even better than I thought I would. It's a great buddy film that isn't full of gross out gags and appeals to both sexes because it is so funny with dramatic/touching moments. The cast is great (as expected) but so is the writing and directing. Definitely a film for grownups of all generations.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great tribute to our veterans!
Hellmant1 February 2018
'LAST FLAG FLYING': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

Richard Linklater's new comedy-drama about three Vietnam war veterans who reunite, 30-years after serving together, when one of their sons is killed in the Iraq war. The film is based on the book (of the same name) by Darryl Ponicsan, which is a sequel to his 1970 novel 'The Last Detail' (which was also adapted into a popular 1973 film). This movie stars Steve Carrell, Bryan Cranston and Laurence Fishburne. Linklater also co-wrote the screenplay, with Ponicsan, and the film received mostly positive reviews from critics. I found it to be a really well made character study, that's also a great tribute to our veterans.

The story is set in December of 2003, when former Navy corpsman Larry Shepherd (Carrell) is visiting the bar of an old marine he used to serve with, named Sal Nealon (Cranston). Larry reminds Sal who he is (and Sal only knew Larry by his nickname 'Doc'). He also reminds him that he was imprisoned, in a Navy prison, for a bad-conduct discharge, which (it's implied) Sal was somewhat responsible for. After the two get reacquainted, through a heavy night of drinking, they travel to the church of another Vietnam vet they used to serve with, named Richard Mueller (Fishburne). Larry then explains that his son was recently killed, while serving in Iraq, and he asks his two friends to accompany him to burry him. The three of course bond again while on their road trip together.

You almost couldn't ask for three better, and more fitting, leads for this film! Carell, Cranston and Fishburne are all extremely likable, and relatable, and they also all have magical chemistry together. The movie is also brilliant in how it combines heart crushing drama, with surprisingly feel good humor. You never quite know how to feel while watching it, but it's always very believable and seemingly true to life (and I did get teary eyed multiple times). The movie doesn't feel like a typical Richard Linklater film, but he definitely still did an outstanding job directing and writing it, and I definitely still recommend it (for all).
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Road Trip Movie i've seen in a while..
BatmanFunReviews201831 January 2018
Thirty years after they served together in Vietnam, a former Navy Corpsman Larry "Doc" Shepherd re-unites with his old buddies, former Marines Sal Nealon and Reverend Richard Mueller, to bury his son, a young Marine killed in the Iraq War. Last Flag Flying packs great emotion, laughs and 3 outstanding perfomances from Steve Carrell, Laurence Fishburne and Bryan Cranston, also the movie serves big respect to the brave men and women that have served their Country over the years. This is a film that moved me and shook me a bit with all that content that it put out plus the humor was spot on and worked quite well and there was a great balance between both the drama and the humor and the overall result is one of the best road trip films in a while and one of Linklater's best directed projects since Boyhood. (10/10)
Another Great Linklater Script
kjproulx29 January 2018
I'll come right out and state the fact that I'm a huge fan of Richard Linklater. The way he writes and directs his performers mesmerizes me. By those standards, I feel that he's still one of the best in the business working today. From Before Sunrise, to Dazed and Confused, to even his recent works in Boyhood and Everybody Wants Some!!, I find myself liking his body of work more and more. So, please take this review with a grain of salt, but I truly feel that his latest film, Last Flag Flying, is easily one of the best movies to come out in 2017 and also one of the most underrated. This film has slipped pretty far under the radar, and that upsets me because this is just about the most sincere and honest piece of filmmaking to come from last year.

Based on a true story, Last Flag Flying follows Richard (Steve Carell), a former United States Marine who is informed that his son (who's also in the Marines) has been killed in combat. Seeking the help of his old friends in Sal and Mueller from decades ago, they embark on a quest to bring Richard's son's body home, as he doesn't want him buried with the rest of his crew. This is literally the only major plot that's followed throughout the film, but there's so much going on under the surface for each character that I just couldn't take my eyes off the screen. It never hurts when you have a director that knows exactly how to work with actors and ends up getting lucky with some of the most talented actors in these roles.

Linklater's films have always been about the characters first and foremost. If you don't buy into any of the characters, then it's highly unlikely that you'll end up enjoying the movie. That being said, each one of these characters is distinctly different, but Carell, Cranston, and Fishburne all do their utmost to truly embody these figures. Once again, I found myself invested in each and every scene, being moved along by the terrifically written dialogue from start to finish. The conversations between characters feel so natural, and that all comes back (once again) to writer/director Richard Linklater.

His unique/natural writing always leaps off the screen and his directing isn't too shabby either, but I feel the true star of this film is the story itself. It really makes you take a step back and appreciate what you had in the past because the future isn't always sunshine and rainbows. Even through dark times, there's always light to brighten up certain situations. The final act of this film left me in tears, due to the fact that I had no clue who any of these characters were in the beginning, and found myself attached to whatever they were going to say next by the end.

In the end, although very slow-moving, the dialogue moves Last Flag Flying along at a very brisk pace. This two-hour picture feels about 90 minutes long in my opinion and if you're into hard-hitting dramas, then I'd have to recommend looking no further than this. An older demographic will definitely get more out of this film than the millennials of today, but that's not to say that everyone can't enjoy this movie. Meticulously directed in terms of character, wonderfully written in terms of dialogue, and impeccably executed in terms of bringing the audience from point A to point B throughout long periods of time, this is a road trip movie that will have you laughing out loud and weeping all at once. I can't recommend Last Flag Flying enough.
Simple, honest , great !
Mailnet12312 May 2018
Simple, honest , great ! Incredibly painful. Recommended.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So well cast!
buck210110 March 2018
My first mention on here, fyi I love you IMDB, you're my bible! I love this film, Fishburn and Cranston work so well together, I believe them both. Carrell for me is a great actor, I love him in a serious role and he pulled me in with care and empathy. Great film, thank you!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Last flag flying: Moving Movie.
niutta-enrico21 January 2018
I won't try and say anything clever about this movie. I will just reassure you that by watching it, your time will not be wasted.

If you are from U.S., served your Country (whichever it could be) or been close to someone who did, I'm sure that you will appreciate it and understand it better than I did.

If you never wore a uniform, or cared for anyone who did, you will simply like it, I'm sure.

As I just did.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.