Captive State (2019) Poster

(2019)

This is NOT an action movie, and that's a good thing.
ThePlagueLegion15 March 2019
Written and Directed by Rupert Wyatt, CAPTIVE STATE follows several characters and multiple perspectives in a Chicago neighborhood in a world completely operated by an extraterrestrial force known as 'The Legislators'. The film portrays numerous aspects of this alien occupation, and chronicles the both sides of a brewing conflict between the human race and the aliens.

This is an extremely unique and likely very polarizing movie. Rather than a blockbuster-actioner laden with huge visual effects, CAPTIVE STATE is a somber look at 9 years after the major war has already occurred. What would usually be our primary focus is the framework of the story, which instead is much more of a political-espionage thriller with sci-fi elements. This automatically may be a turn off for some, but I found myself consistently intrigued and excited by the events that play out in the story. Aliens appear throughout the film but only in glimpses and from a far, usually. However, when we do see them up close, the effects work is actually quite impressive for a film made on $25 million. Not all the CG work is great but for the most part, much of it is very seamless and realistic in appearance. The creature design is also very well-done. The Legislators are extremely intimidating antagonists that, despite rarely seeing them in full, maintain a presence over the entire film. Some characters refer to the beings as 'Roaches', due to their insectoid behaviors and language, which consists of strange clicks, gurgles and buzzing. The sound design for these aliens is particularly effective, with many sequences upping the suspense due simply to the offscreen sounds of The Roaches, especially during a key scene toward the third act. The film succeeds in making us very intimidated of The Roaches, despite their infrequent appearances.

It's unfortunate that Captive State has a very unfocused structure. Scenes jump from character to character, with the closest thing resembling a lead being John Goodman's character Bill Mulligan. We never really manage to feel invested in every one of these characters, and instead can only attach to a few. Goodman easily has the best part, with his ambiguous morals and stern demeanor keeping him a very believable, restrained character that steals most of his scenes. Ashton Sanders is very good as another sorta-lead, Gabriel, and several character actors (Alan Ruck, James Ransone, Kevin Dunn) turn in very layered, realistic performances. It's the performances, really, that come through in the end and make us care. Director Wyatt seems much more interested in focusing on the event and entire system of society under alien oppression, rather than the lives and details of each and every one of his characters. In some ways, this is a detriment, as it makes some payoffs feel very numb and sorta empty. But in other ways (which I will not spoil), the restraint on developing the characters pays off completely, as we manage to attach ourselves to them based solely on subtle performances and small character ticks that recur throughout the film. Some dialogue is admittedly clunky, and again, some emotional weight is removed with some of these character's fates when we hardly know some of their names. However, Rupert Wyatt clearly respects his audience, using visuals and limited information a create a very gloomy, suspenseful atmosphere that consistently kept me on edge. The lack of detail on the alien species and their capabilities puts us in the same position as the human characters -- in the dark, scrambling to make it in this ruthless setting.

This, as well as the numerous other pros and a hefty load of solid social commentary, are enough to redeem CAPTIVE STATE of it's scripting faults and jumbled structure. An enthusiastic 7/10.
54 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpected; a movie that will push to deep thinking
abisio15 March 2019
Captive State is about aliens controlling Earth. There concept has been used before but this time the scenario is different and original. After 10 years of Earth controlled by aliens from outer space, big city become governed by politicians who must personally report to an alien governor leaving underground. As in occupation situations collaborationist are rich and live with luxury while common people are exploited (in this case mining naturally resources from the planet for the invaders.). Invaders also push technology back several years (the movie occurs in 2027 but there is no internet or cellphones or digital technology). Some people formed a terrorist group to get rid of the invaders and shut down the corrupt collaborationist government. Those expecting an action packed movie with invincibly heroes will be somewhat disappointed. There are some violent scenes but the focus shift to many different people who in their heroic or coward way make up the story. For those he have no idea how terrorism work; let me explain that this is Terrorism 101. Every basic detail about cells, is explained and or used; as are also the not legal government methods to combat it. However; think for a moment that heroes here are the terrorists. Acting is quite acceptable. As always, John Goodman in auto pilot carries most of the movie; but the rest of the cast do not fall behind. The ending; is not Hollywood style and quite dramatic. In brief; it is not a popcorn movie but one to think about particularly about the situation in many countries
49 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Movie for Those Who PayAttention
Mehki_Girl16 March 2019
At first you're confused and not sure about what is really going on and maybe a trifle bored.

Stick with it. The aliens are original and terrifying. So is the plot. This movie is an original and clever take on alien invasion.

There is a very clever subplot (or the main plot?) about the haves and havenots, political propaganda, people drinking the koolaid, rich versus the poor, exploitation, cowardly politicians, man's will to survive, and ordinary women and men willing to sacrifice everything for freedom with a little 1984 thrown in.

John Goodman is good at always. You'll see some surprise famous faces scattered throughout in small parts. This movie wasn't hyped and that's too bad. This movie requires you to psy attention, but not suspend your disbelief. The payoff is rewarding and the movie will stick you for a while.
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts
FrenchEddieFelson5 April 2019
A powerful alien invasion... A surrender to avoid an ineluctable annihilation... The whole humanity under alien domination... After this quick introduction, we elliptically switch nine years later, without really understanding how the human/alien cohabitation works. But this is unimportant: 'Captive State' is a thriller full of undercover agents, spies, policemen, ... and with a few aliens. The atmosphere is dark and hardly optimistic. Beware, this is not an action / war movie, in a science fiction context. And absolutely not a pop corn movie!

The story takes place in Chicago in the near future and that, in some respects, looks like Paris, between 1940 and 1944, with resistance fighters and collaborators, and with aliens instead of German soldiers.

The actors (especially John Goodman), the photography, the special effects, the atmosphere, ... that's heavy! Nevertheless, the script is messy: we must wait for the very last scene in order to stick the pieces back and have a global picture. The realization is sometimes clumsy which may confuse the audience: some people left the movie theater during the screening I attended. Personally, it took me a while to understand and appreciate this story. Slightly frustrating...
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done - do not pay attention to critics
petera00-177-10559115 March 2019
This is probably the best sci fi movie to come out since Children of Men. The reviews I've read from this are atrocious... Den of Geek says that the scenes just "happen." What?! Isn't that what a movie should be? Geekwire says that the movie lacks a presence of aliens.... WHAT?! This is a thinking man's sci fi with some of the most tense scenes filmed that I've seen for a long time. This is what would happen in a police state.... Go into it with a fresh approach and you will leave ultimately satisfied. Don't go into it thinking it's some super hero movie... Because honestly Joseph Campbell's a heros journey can only be told so many times. And in all honestly - this is the best movie thus far of 2019.
44 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed a New Take on Alien Rebellion
porceline-p17 March 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Be sure to read/listen to the beginning backstory to understand the setting. I would have been lost without it. Just from that beginning I knew I was in for a different ride. The movie made me think about why things played out like it did and it all made since. I was exited internally for the ending and was thinking, "F*$k yeah, get them SOB's!" I hope the movie does well, because I'd love to see where the story could lead. There are so many mysteries! This movie makes you think a little so, viewers who only like action, gore, and lots if creatures onscreen may be disappointed. This movie is more-so for the strategists and thinkers.
18 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid SciFi - Take the "Colony Test" First
brooks25028 March 2019
I liked this movie, and I'm so glad I mostly ignored the negative reviews and saw this in the theater (just me and a young couple at a matinee). I won't repeat the points other positive reviews have made. But it's worth noting that if you liked the USA Network TV show "Colony" centered on the alien takeover of the planet, specifically Los Angeles, there's a 95% chance you'll get into this story fairly quickly. That's not to say that "Captive State" is a "Colony" knock off. The TV show had weeks to build story, characters and post-invasion background. A two-hour movie doesn't have time for that kind of depth and relies on viewers paying extra-close attention to lots of little details, which can be jarring and confusing. This movie is not a dumb, sci-fi shoot-out with the evil invaders: our tough guy/gal military and scrappy civilians outsmarting and outshooting aliens at every turn. As Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson speculated: "If aliens are technically advanced enough to get here across the vastness of space, they're powerful enough to wipe us out if they want to. Therefore, This movie is about limited choices, degrees of collaboration and insurgency. Question: Is our human world as we've made it so far worth preserving and fighting for if aliens can actually run things better?
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Believe The Critics
traceemporter17 March 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I didn't find it confusing at all you just have to pay attention! So, for you people that have ADHD, just be sure to take your ritalin before you go and see it. That way you'll be able to sit still and concentrate! It is an engaging and deliberate movie with a few interesting plot twists. Did I figure them out before they happened? Yes, I did but I still enjoyed watching them unfold. Just give the movie a chance, it will be worth it.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The only thing they held Captive was my patience while watching this movie
DJesusUncrossed21 March 2019
After seeing the first trailer for this movie, I thought this would be thought provoking sci-fi movie. That being said, this movie does not provoke any thoughts at all. It's badly written, directed, edited, and shot. The movie itself is ambiguous, without subtlety, or care for the craft being put onto the screen.

What does this mean? Well for starters, the editing is just plain bad, cutting to different angles every two seconds to pointless close-up reactions of characters, which brings no impact to a scene whatsoever. There's a huge lack of shots that go beyond 10 seconds, making it a headache to know or notice certain elements of the set. It reminded of the god awful "Oscar winning" Bohemian Rhapsody, which couldn't stand switching angles at each word being said. There's no focus on a single character in each scene, often talking about set pieces that we can't even see due to the obnoxious editing the movies has.

Speaking of no focus, the writing in this movie was just held captive by the amount of pointless montages, characters, and unneeded ambiguity to the overall story being told. Often times when a character is introduced we focus on him/her for a few scenes before disappearing and showing up after 20 minutes. There's also just so many pointless montages in the movie, like most of the second act is just convoluted with scenes that just make no sense at all. Which brings me to my biggest point in the writing. What was the point at all? The writing is needlessly ambiguous and mysterious that it's seemingly all over the place. I know that too much exposition is bad, but having no exposition at all in a movie that's the sci-fi equivalent of Liam Neeson's Taken, just makes me scratch my head. Like where did this come from? What is that thing he has there? Who is this character who just appeared? Why are they in this place now? It's all just so mysterious and fast paced at the same time, that it just doesn't make any sense at all.

This brings me to the biggest flaw of this movie, the directing. When you have a screenplay as ambiguous as this one, you'd expect a little more subtlety in the visuals, shot compositions, pacing, and overall flow of the story. Instead it's all just so heavily fast paced that is counteracts with the ambiguity the screenplay has set the movie up. Often times the movies would just be trapped in this roundabout of shots, that just seem so uninteresting and repetitive. And I know this film has a short budget, and if that would be the case, then why would most of the visuals be so "in your face" at times. And these visuals are not good looking as well, a lot of the times they are badly rendered, looking like a villain from a Power Rangers show. These flaws just make the story and script look so much worse, a good director would've have had tried to make all that work at visually or technically.

Captive State is a movie that will want you test your patience with a film that's ironically holding itself captive. The editing almost gave me a headache, the screenplay was somehow over and underwritten at the same time, and the directing is just so awful that it just breaks the movie apart even more.

I was pissed because the story and the world had potential, but everyone who worked on the movie didn't want to use that potential. If you like John Goodman, sci-fi movies, or the two combined (my reason for watching this movie) then go watch it. But overall, this movie was more disappointing than my divorce. I'd give this shit show a 3/10.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent! Well done!
treatchristian16 March 2019
I love it when movies these days keep me guessing about what's going to happen next! Definitely an awesome story.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light A Match, Start A War... Captive State (2019).
ChipperX16 March 2019
  • By Chipper F. Xavier, Esq.

Captive State is an alien occupation film like many you may have already seen: Greedy aliens come to earth wielding sophisticated technology, seeking to rob the earth of its natural resources. Similar movies are V (1984), Independence Day (1996) and Battlefield Earth (2000). Like those movies, humans resist the aliens to spectacular effect, creating heroes out of the common every-man. Unlike other alien blockbuster movies, this one comes to the screen with very little hype and an incredible ensemble cast.

John Goodman's performance as William Mulligan is not to be missed, but the real star of this movie is Ashton Sanders as Gabriel Drummond. He is real and very believable, which propels this film forward into legendary status. Honorable mentions go to Jonathan Majors, Vera Farmiga, Kevin Dunn and Alan Ruck.

Science Fiction movies tend to be either big on special effects, or big on character development: The best SciFi gives us equal measures of both. Captive State succeeds partially because it is hard to see where the movie is going until the moment has arrived. We are aware immediately that there is a resistance afoot, but the players are literally unknown to us. That is a huge burden for people who like their fiction predigested, but true fans of SciFi are patient. Audience attention is crucial in Captive, where all the moving parts are quickly shuffled. When the special effects are introduced, they are original and terrifying. When you begin to catch the arc of the characters individual motivations, then all the pieces begin to fall into place - and the pace of this movie is break-neck.

The aliens are not 100% original - but they are close enough to be mistaken for something totally new. As a bonus, they are utterly terrifying. The techno-organic symbiosis employed by the alien race is not incredibly advanced, but it succeeds in scaring the audience and upping the threat-level exponentially. What the movie does best is give the alien race ten years in our atmosphere to completely supplant our political system, effectively becoming the highest form of government, called Legislators. The alien race plays on our corruption, fear and systems of power to become the dominant species on earth. They propagandize their actions by telling humans there is no more hunger, no more war, and no more unemployment - so long as the Legislators are permitted to remain in power.

Captive State is a thinking man's science fiction movie that does not skimp on special effects, plot or set-pieces. By successfully intertwining suspense, drama and action, this movie succeeds where countless other alien occupation movies have failed. Overall score: 10/10.
14 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should be a made for tv movie
jtvviewerpublic17 March 2019
This movie should have been one of those that were made for tv. I watch previews and make a list of what I want to go see. Usually I grab a nice lunch and then hit an afternoon movie. After eating, I should have went and washed my car.

John Goodman needs to stick to the Roseanne show.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Empty film
dijitalnomad20 March 2019
I am not difficult to please, I love sci-fi films and dystopian films. However, I walked out of the theater after investing an hour of time hoping to see or get something out of this film. Captive State felt like a bunch of strung together and awkwardly cohesive puzzle pieces that overall fail to keep or cause, really, any interest. I get that you get what you put into anything, but this film offered very little help, to the point that even when the pace started to pick up after an hour... I didn't care. That's because, like this review so far, the film offered not much more than a superficial glimpse into anything: who the characters were, what drove any of them, what drove the beautifully (graphically) rendered aliens that made a couple appearances. It was just a tedious mess that didn't seem to make any choices. This movie might have made a great short... (?). Love John Goodman, can't recommend that anyone pay to see this at the theater. Rent 10 Cloverfield Lane instead.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hang in there
drjgardner16 March 2019
Several times a year I am tempted to walk out on a film because I don't like it, but I stay with the hopes that by the end it will somehow turn the corner. This is one of those films. The first 40 minutes is unengaging, with a series of characters we know little about and care about even less. Slowly but surely it turns the corners, and the hints, which are abundant, begin to make sense.

I really liked the aliens who are unlike any aliens we've ever seen before. Kudos to the people who thought this up.

In retrospect, the seemingly random flashes of the lives of a dozen people, makes sense and the film makers are trying to give you the feeling of the operations of a cell, where different people are acting independently. It works, but the price is a loss of engagement with any of the characters.

Definitely worth a look.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Left me feeling like a captive 😣
loveblackpoem16 March 2019
This film has a ridiculously convoluted storyline that makes it difficult to follow and it eventually loses you. Captive State is a different type of alien movie with some interesting points, but the drawn out story and mediocre acting make the film intolerable. It's definitely not worth seeing in the theaters.
35 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a confusing, frustrating movie!
billymurbill17 March 2019
This movie was a very frustrating experience. All the characters and plot premises are presented in a very confusing, indirect way and nothing is showed directly. A lot of the characters were boring and static. There were some really cool ideas but the movie managed to suck all the entertainment out of them. Every time you think something cool is going to happen, the scene would cut and then another, boring scene would start. It was really frustrating being deprived of the satisfaction of seeing a cool scene. I would give this movie a lower score because it was probably one of the worst sci-fi movies I've ever seen. A good sci-fi film immerses you a new universe, but this movie just gave you incoherent glances at that universe. However the story did have some cool sci-fi concepts and the story was kind of cool beneath all the other crap. I'm just glad I was able to watch this using my AMC A-Stubs and didn't have to pay full price for a ticket to see it.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Messy but very unique and original
cgearheart18 March 2019
Captive State is not the best movie you'll see all year, but it's far from anything bad. It's a unique, intense, highly original (for Hollywood, anyways), and somewhat thought provoking thriller that takes its sweet time getting to something we saw coming. It's a cool, frustrating, decent mess that I actually tolerated and liked.

C+
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An exceedingly interesting movie.
mjjusa-116 March 2019
'Captive State', is set in Chicago in the near future. After an alien invasion has taken over the world and rules it with an iron, though exceedingly strange, fist. It's a darn good movie. Filled with heroic, believable characters of every race, Americans all, citizens, who sacrifice to strike the match to light the explosion that may lead to liberty. Massive plot holes (don't pay too much attention to the plot!), characters come and go and are hard to keep track of, but John Goodman is great, the 'underground' believable, and the captive state much like Paris or Warsaw under the Nazis.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I watch?
timeblank17 March 2019
You know I thought this movie was to fight the alien government. I thought their was going to be a revolution to fighting back. However the Revolution just gave up and felt so flat. What was the point of this film? Where's the war? Too much they were showing random characters. Not knowing their purpose and where was it going? I don't get the political assassination attempt. So many unanswered questions. It was truly terrible.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as Captive as it needs to be.
subxerogravity16 March 2019
It's an interesting political thriller with the dressing of a Sci-fi movie, that's overall mediocre and it has the tendency to get real dull at times, sometimes so dull you'll... "miss" it's attempts to be cleaver and intelligent.

It's a mystery that needs to be unraveled, but too many elements in it are not really needed. Lots of stuff met to make you look the other direction so you don't see it coming, it technically works too well cause by the time I come back from looking the other way I forget what was directly ahead of me, and they had me looking too long in the other direction that I no longer care what's right in front of me.

The sci-fi backdrop was a cool idea. The visual elements of the movie is what really makes it feel Sci-Fi. The story happening in front of you makes this a political thriller about a resistance group planing a terrorist attack, while certain small visual tones behind it make you remember that this movie has aliens in it. It's literally an alien invasion story that's not about the aliens.

Captive State is trying too much and not succeeding in all it's attempts. A very cleaver idea not full flushed out.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was?
JBDragon116 March 2019
This is the type of movie I normally really like. It was kind of a snooze fest. Not enough aliens. So many unanswered questions. A ending a could care less about. I get it. Why the person you thought was bad did so to get where they were to do good in the end. It just wasn't enough.
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth your time
mokhlesrahman23 March 2019
Yeah the concept is interesting but concept will not make a impact if the movie is not well made. Story was all over the place and by the time it connected all the dots it was too late. Give this a pass
Someone Should Be Fired
jmholmes-7372723 March 2019
Whoever gave the "go ahead" for this movie to be released to theaters should never be put in that position of power again. The first forty-five minutes depicts a rather large cast in various states of anxiety and fear. It has something to do with aliens who have taken over much of our planet and pose a constant threat. Occasionally we see John Goodman, who might be a law enforcement type on the track of someone or something. Much is made of a need to journey across a lake for some purpose of survival. And a rally is scheduled. An alien having large octopus sucker cups makes an appearance after twenty minutes, and we get our hopes up . . . But this is a hopeless mess of a movie - unless the second half miraculously becomes focused and coherent. This game viewer did not stay to find out.
Enjoyed it Overall
view_and_review18 March 2019
I went into this movie largely blind. I saw a trailer but either I wasn't paying much attention or it didn't really give away anything. In either case I was a bit shocked at the opening scene when these aliens decimated a married couple.

"Captive State" was an alien invasion movie. Where this was different than most such movies was that the human beings surrendered. With the surrender of all humanity it ushered in a new era of an alien ruled earth with lower crime and lower unemployment. Police largely acted on behalf of the aliens called "the legislature." This is not to indicate that Earth was some blissful place because it was anything but.

This movie tears you in different directions emotionally and mentally. The fighter in me wanted to see a widespread all-out attack on our new masters but the self-preservationist in me wanted peace and security. It's a gritty movie with a series of small subtle movements. The little coordinated movement of would be insurgents was gripping. The movie conveyed a sense of the magnitude of the takeover as well as the extent of the alien grip on society.

In some ways the movie was frustrating simply because of my own expectations. Once I let go of my expectations I was able to let the movie take me where it wanted to take me. Overall I enjoyed it even if the American in me was looking for some more fireworks.
Buy a tripod?
esweet-154-19126015 March 2019
I wanted this to be great. I like John Goodman in most anything he does and Vera is the same. So where does it go off the rails, apparently right off the dolly rails, right from the beginning. Blair witch wasn't so scary people left the theatres puking, they were suffering from motion sickness. Today's kitschy action camera move is to forget about any rigging and just run with it. In fact it sometimes looked like the editing suite added some jittery rhythmic plug ins of their own. That this cheap trick is already trite and tired is enough that it's starting to fade from popularity. The hold outs use it for only the most dire sequences and typically only in lazy B and even C action movies. It was used with moderation in No Country for Old Men, Sicario liked it, heck even Spielberg has tried it out, but none of them from opening to closing credits. This movie had potential. The creatures are new to me but looked born of anime origins, unfortunately we see their armour skinned versions in first few minutes and have their urchin shells peeled back to reveal the dying bogeyman soon after. Tada!, now what to do for the next one hundred minutes. The plot echoes some of the real world news cycles, the nation divided ripe with alterior motives or greed, if you dug a bit it felt like the story they were trying to tell. That good wins out over evil eventually. Unfortunately the character development is weak and disjointed. There are frial bones of some decent storytelling in the body of the script but it never presents itself well enough for you to attach to the characters. The 'weapons' or powers used to off the humans is interesting but it's been done before too. Check out War of the Worlds, circa Cruise. I expected some Cloverfield camera movements having seen the trailers and planned ahead taking a gravol, I should have taken the nighttime version and simply slept thru this one, would have been better use of my two hours. I like to find at least some positives in a film, films are the culmination of many people's efforts, this is one film that I can't find one except maybe some trademark canned expressions we all enjoy from John and Vera, Ferris Buellers Alan Ruck is a surprise, Ashton Sanders, Transformers Dad Kevin Dunn and a less comical than usual character played by Kevin J O'Connor. Save your money, it's not even a popcorn romp, wait for this one on Netflix.
16 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.