A Dark Place (2018) Poster

(2018)

Enjoyed it.
macfaefan12 April 2019
Admittedly it is slow but this 'Donnie' keeps you interested. He's handicapped mentally but smart,intuitive and a loving father. I found the story to be good and slowly opened up for the viewer.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid, if fairly familiar, small-town mystery/thriller
Red-Barracuda27 June 2018
It is surprising to learn that this is a British made film. Made entirely with UK money, an English director and a couple of Irish actors in the two lead roles. Most impressive given that this passes pretty easily as an American product. It falls into a category of crime/thriller/mystery which there seems to be quite a few of, i.e. one set in a small town in the backwaters of the U.S. where an ordinary individual investigates or is hurled into a crime scenario. Many American independent films have been of this type in recent years and I guess this is one aspect which goes against Steel Country slightly, in that it is an overly familiar set-up. Nevertheless, it remains a good enough film with a very impressive central performance from Andrew Scott in the lead role of a bin man with an Asperger's type of condition, whose particular mind-set impels him to not accept a recent account of a young boy drowning. He suspects foul play and this leads him on a dangerous path with reveals dark secrets in the local town.

The film works more as a mystery than as a thriller; albeit, there are a couple of memorable scenes which fall under the latter bracket, including a surprising one near the finale. But mostly, this one focuses on an amateur sleuth seeking the truth and a town which seems reluctant to reveal all. Ultimately, this is a good, if relatively standard, bit of Americana (even if it is actually British!).
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent film.
brummieman15 April 2019
The main actor plays the role of an autistic man who is fixated on making sure things are left as they should be, from something as simple as a dustbin lid being left open to a serious crime being left unsolved, that is not how things should be and he will have no peace of mind until things are put right even if putting things right is a matter of life or death. The main actor deserves an Oscar, his performance was amazing, the story is dark and tragic but overall it is a brilliant film, and I'm not easily pleased,
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful drama
desertship-7824614 April 2019
I highly recommend this small town drama about a sanitation worker named Donnie, who was convinced intuitively that there is more to the drowning of 6 years old Tyler. The journey to the climatic ending was slow but worth it. Good acting with great musical scores and the sensitive handling of "Donnie" who appears to be on the autism spectrum, brought me to tears a few times. A very emotional journey indeed.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low budget, but...
riffat-8780519 April 2019
Obviously, the budget is an important thing to make a good movie, but, as we saw in this movie, it is not a crucial factor to make a good movie. We can see here a small budget movie, but, we can see also an overall good actor's performance, in fact, significant acting for the leading role Andrew Scott, a good direction, a good scenario, a meaningful story. And this is all that the good movie needs.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scott drives directly into your soul....
wildsparrow1614 April 2019
Andrew Scott (whom I was not familiar with prior to this film) gives an Oscar worthy performance as a sanitation worker somewhere on the spectrum or possibly Borderline Personality Disorder. Despite character assertions that he "is not a smart man", we learn this is not true as he pieces together parts of a murder and the dark past that surrounds it. Despite his inner turmoil, he is able to hold down a steady job and engage in social interactions when needed or desired. He is a kind, gentle soul who struggles in caring for his elderly mother and believes there is hope in a relationship with a woman with whom a relationship never even existed. However, the brief union did result in a lovely daughter who shares his kindheartedness. Perhaps she is part of his drive to find the killer of another child (we know the child is dead from the trailers and the first few minutes of the film). This takes place in a small town in the rust belt and political commentary is made without words in the first few minutes of the film where we see closed-down buildings with old election signs, expressing the irony. Some may be turned off by this, but you do not need to be of a certain party to appreciate this intense, haunting thriller. Scott is magnetic and the other characters are all exceptionally interesting and well-acted. It is a very slow-burn that completely engulfed me. This movie is disturbing in subject, but not gory or violent.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent film worth watching
Roannalise17 April 2019
The acting of the leading actor Andrew Scott in this film is excellent. The pace is a bit slow and the story isn't mind-blowing but Andrew's effortless performance engages the audience and makes you want to root for him and see how things are going to pan out. My only complaint is that the ending is a little weak.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark Drama
foutainoflife16 April 2019
A boy goes missing in a rural town and the case becomes an obsession for a man who believes there is more to the case than what it appears to be.

I'll give a few more details. Our main character comes off as a decent enough guy but he has some sort of mental disability. He lives with his mother but has a daughter that lives with her mother. While visiting his kid, he learns she is on social media and while scrolling through her news feed, he learns that the boy is missing. The man works in sanitation and knows the boy from his garbage pick-up route because the kid made it a point to always wave when he saw him. While it never really gave a good explanation as to why he was so interested in the case, he becomes obsessed and determined to figure out what happened to the kid.

The main character played his part well, easily drawing the viewer into his character's emotions. The majority of the movie is carried by this character so kudos to the actor for his performance. The atmosphere in this is gloomy and the settings felt appropriate.

While I felt it could've used some more detail here and there, I thought it was a "meh" flick. Not amazing and not awful. If you choose to sit down and watch it just be prepared for the slow burn.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb small town mystery thriller
omendata14 April 2019
I thought this was going to be a run of the mill thriller but it turned out to be quite engrossing all the way to the end mostly due to the superb acting ability of Andrew Scott who deserves an Oscar for his performance and this elevated the movie beyond your average pot boiler thriller aided and abetted by the performance from Bronagh Waugh.

For such a slow moving small movie it pulls a big punch and keeps the viewer interested and on the edge of the seat right to the rather surprising end and tackles a sadly very common and terrifying thought for any parent which gives the movie even more gravitas. Good camerawork and directing adds to the mix - If you are looking for an interesting mystery thriller that will not disappoint you cannot go far wrong with this one!
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
Ricky-ikhtifar16 April 2019
I like the plot to make a guess thinking dissolve into the story and the main actor's work is good
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent movie but...
Headturner115 April 2019
So now his daughter is left with an uncaring moth and a boyfriend whom she's always arguing with. I think this was a little outlandish. If anyone did the things he did he'd of been in jail. Digging the body up , waking into peoples homes. Trying to run over people. vigilante not. It was a decently done movie but Just kind of ridiculous. The acting was good and Donny as an Irishman ( haven't seen him in anything else did great as an autistic american. But I just think it was a bit outlandish.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Watch
svader13 April 2019
I enjoyed the film. Easy watching, good story and personable characters. I'm not quite sure what reviewer Dlbott is talking about British film making ? There have been some great Asian films and European films killed by Hollywood. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Eye as first thought examples.

Does it really matter where a film is made as long as it is enjoyable ?

British and proud !!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
willcline-9104312 April 2019
I really love the story line and the work that was put in to making this thriller
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exquisite acting.
ohwanderlust19 May 2019
Beautifully filmed, well edited and superb acting. Andrew Scott was mesmerizing in his role.

I'm so glad I didn't read the reviews on this one though, as some describe too much info about characters etc. (and these aren't so called spoilers).
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I fully enjoyed it
antonis-vertoudos20 April 2019
It started slowly but it kept me interested till the very end. Nice movie to watch with a "happy" ending.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptionally good
chrisusher-8911616 April 2019
For a budget film thriller a was surprised how good this was written Andrew Scott played the lead role well just shows you don't need a big name actor too play the role it's a little slow to start off with but be patient by the end you will have enjoyed it...
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow Burner
andyge26 June 2018
Saw this at the Edinburgh Film Festival so didn't know quite know what to expect.Dark murder investigation set in Trump's backwater USA. Very deliberate and precise direction from Simon Fellows and two standout performances from Andrew Scott and Bronagh Waugh make this an always interesting film to watch.Christa Beth Campbell is also luminous as the daughter.Slightly let down by the plot and script which can at times seem obvious and unintentionally funny. Will I think be a slow burner but certainly makes some clear statements about life in present day America and overall is involving and entertaining to watch so would recommend if you are looking for something dark and offbeat.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great mystery
willcline-9104312 April 2019
This movie is about the town idiot who turns out to be a town hero! He's the smartest dumb guy you'll see he drives an exelant performance and keeps you guessing from beginning to end..
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Andrew Scott...versatile
chiswickianw5 June 2019
I liked this film. It was a decent story and Andrew Scott did a believable performance as a guy on the autistic spectrum struggling with his life and fatherhood. When he gets obsessed with a crime against a child he gets taken down a dark path. Solid movie
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent mystery
npjy8315 April 2019
The story is about a mentally unhinged person who will not accept that a little boy from his town had just drowned. He becomes an investigator into his death, and faces opposition from those who are trying to cover up his death.

A good independent movie, however was a little dismayed with the ending, and felt it should have added more towards the end.

Acting is very good. Storyline is quite dark and disturbing in some parts.

The story also involves a mother who is praying for her son, and is seen reading her Bible in some scenes. It is the son who is investigating the boys disappearance, and can be shown in a spiritual way that God can use anyone to do His work.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shades of "Sling Blade"
Andrew-Alan-Scott16 April 2019
Betty Devlin: "God never gives you more than you can handle... it's in the bible." It's been my experience that God delights in giving some more than they can handle. Sees it as "his" raison d'être, no less. Mysterious ways, and all that malarkey. It's a sad fact that the vulnerable are often victims, with some predators actually alluding to the fact that they pick victims by their apparent weakness. This film echoes a theme found in Billy Bob Thornton's "Sling Blade" among others, of such vulnerable victims driven to a breaking point where they need to act in defence of others. Played with great acuity, subtlety and sensitivity by the talented Andrew Scott, Donnie Devlin knows that we don't have to "make up" monsters, they walk among us.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
rosebud-2400518 May 2019
So interesting and great acting I didn't want it to end
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HE DIDN'T GO EXPLORING
nogodnomasters1 May 2019
In a small western Pennsylvania town, Tyler Zeigler goes missing and later turns up dead, drowned in a river. Donnie Devlin (Andrew Scott) works for the local sanitation company and doesn't think it was an accident. Unfortunately, Donnie is not the brightest bulb in the pack. He acts as if he has read a self-help book and only recalls half. He asks questions and has access to the trash.

The story is not overly complex and neither is Donnie. Donnie manages in life caring for his mother and occasionally visiting his daughter. The film keeps moving slowly but keeps you engaged. Different type of crime drama, one where Nancy Drew got kicked in the head by a mule.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good thriller
brotherbrando15 April 2019
Its a basic thriller and moved a little slow but it was just what i was in the mood for. Justice served at the end.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very good movie
melissaoaks16 April 2019
Literally not cursing in this movie. hard to believe but true and I have deep respect for that. On top of that it was just a good movie all around. It could have been more of a thriller than it actually was but the story itself and the mystery of it was what made it enjoyable. The ending also could have been a little better but it was a good ending nonetheless. it was interesting all throughout. i gave it a 6 but ill probably go back and rate it higher because there was no cursing, and especially the name of God was not used as a curse word. so rare.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.