Groupers (2019) Poster

(2019)

Don't assume that all good reviews are fake. I really liked this movie
future_release30 December 2019
Totally novel idea and really well acted, shot and nicely developed.

Sure it has flaws but I'd much rather watch this movie that has created such a visceral reaction from people than some of the other, middle of the road trash currently out there.

Really nice work
41 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am not a film critic...and I enjoyed the movie
troytaylor-040363 January 2020
I am not a critic or a "film school guy", I am just like to watch various types of movies and appreciate them for what they are, a brief escape from reality. This movie is weird, somewhat disturbing, and has some dark humor to hold the attention of the audience throughout. It's a look into how groups form, shape your thinking, and ultimately how we can grow out of the 'group think' mindset. If you don't take yourself too seriously, you can, and should, enjoy this film for what it is...
39 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A well executed indy
joshbutler-099013 January 2020
What Anderson Cowan has done on an extreme shoestring budget is nothing short of impressive. The writing is witty and funny, the acting by virtual unknowns, is very impressive, and the execution, while messy towards the end, is still very good for a first time writer/director.
38 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Someone is Trying to Tank this Movie... Don't Let Them!
Brennan_PodHost4 January 2020
Groupers is an incredibly fun, surprisingly poignant, and undeniably original film. I was lucky enough to see it in theaters and when I first checked the ratings they were where I expected them to be (in the 7-8 range)

Suddenly, an influx of 1 star reviews (oddly on the same day) have unfairly hurt the little-indie-Movie-that-could. Im not sure if it's homophobes or someone who has it out for the director or one of the actors, but it certainly seems suspicious.

Check it out for yourself!
44 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was a fun one indeed!
This had three qualities I appreciate immensely when successfully combined in a movie: weird, unpredictable and hilarious. It reminded me of when I was more adventurous with my movie rentals in years past: I would watch a ton of smaller budget indies, and on occasion, I would find a gem amongst the crowd. Discovering these gems made it worth having to endure a large number of not-so-inspired indie offerings. Groupers is a perfect example of one of those gems.

The way its plot unfolded, including how the colorful characters found themselves interacting with one another, was impressively imaginative. All the characters were perfectly cast as well. The character Dylan was my favorite; he had me cracking up throughout.

This is a great debut from Anderson Cowan and I'm excited to see what he does in the future. I had a delightful time with this one!
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inventive filmmaking!
irawatson-091973 January 2020
This is a film with a message and a unique voice in Director Anderson Cowan. While some folks may get their feathers ruffled, that should be the goal of any good film: creating a conversation that, with any luck, will maybe cause some unity and acceptance.
30 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good first effort...
garethathomas30 December 2019
Groupers is never going to win an oscar, but it is a bit of fun. I have seen a lot worse and this effort from a first time Director is much better than some of the formulaic dross on Netflix/Amazon.
22 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Fun!
fawndoggie3 January 2020
Cheers to this fun movie! Well acted and Directed, Its a good time.
31 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1st half held promise
mbindon31 December 2019
For a movie on a shoestring budget it looked good. The movie started off pretty well but it was just too long and ran out of steam. The last act with new character introductions were thinly written and juvenile. It just did not stick the landing. That said I thought the movie showed promise and the 1st half I would rate a 8 stars the last half 4 stars. This is not a good as some of the reviews suggest ( fans ) and certainly not as bad as some ( just angry ) reviewers suggest. Not for everyone but you can do much worse.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining debut
Anthony_francis20003 January 2020
This movie is unpredictable and funny. It is a little harsh in spots, but, definitely, it is different. I hope to see more from this director. I would like to see what he could do with a budget and known actors.
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good comedy
sulfurioq30 December 2019
Extraordinary and fresh. Meta humor on homophobic and racist themes. The best comedy of 2019 in my opinion.
19 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful movie with an important message
nchusid-207263 January 2020
"Groupers provides a critical analysis of the type of discriminatory behaviors which permeate our society today. This movie does a brilliant job examining these behaviors while interweaving how these are not isolated incidents - they impact a much larger circle than most people may be aware of happening around them. The lead actress does a wonderful job in her role as the facilitator of this social experiment. I would highly recommend this movie for anyone who enjoys non-traditional approaches to analyzing these important issues.
20 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The little move that could.
brucepurkey4 January 2020
Solid dark comedy about homophobia and the group mentality and so much more. Good effort from a first-time filmmaker with an obvious love of great movies. Look for the Kubrick easter eggs while enjoying the acting of the four central characters.
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Rotund Attempt
voltronics773 January 2020
This movie was fun in parts, had better than the theatre student acting I've seen in many other B movies and had memorable scenes. Though I wasn't in love with the writing, it worked for the quirky characters who weren't part of the movie's A story. It wasn't quite the hidden gem I look for but I appreciate what was accomplished with what the movie makers had.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF
solidabs12 November 2020
The perfect movie to show: There are no writers left in Hollyweird. This is definitely in the top five dumbest movies of all time. Unbelievable. Anything over a 2 is a lie.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting and fun!
arbarry3 January 2020
The movie is shot beautifully, the acting is great, and the plot while not for everyone it's original and interesting. I did have problems with the Orin character which was the only bad part of the movie that has fun and interesting characters all over. Give it a shot, I don't think you will regret it.
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A unique and fun film!
davidbrewington4 January 2020
I've heard recently that a number of people (aka Right Wing Incels) have jumped on here to bombard this movie with negative reviews. Well I'm here to set the record straight.

Groupers is a unique film with a story that will stick with you for a long time. Anderson presents a very creative story that doesn't go anywhere you expect it to go at all. I personally love that in a film. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful! Nicole Dambro as Meg is absolutely riveting. Every time she appears on screen she is DYNAMITE.

This movie also makes you think about the topic of homophobia without being preachy (which makes certain movies unwatchable).

If you really want something unique, entertaining, and fresh, then this is the movie for you.
18 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done
drmithrag4 January 2020
Given the budget, well done! Thoughtful and thought provoking. Indie film at it best.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nice art direction and filming
broooks3 January 2020
This movie looks like something shot with twice the budget it had. I liked the first 2/3 thought it got a bit hectic in the last 1/3. the style is very interesting.
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promise but falls slightly short
ajones3117 January 2020
I bought this movie because I'm a fan of the filmmaker's podcasting endeavors. The film has some great moments. The Rashomon-style sequences are really well-done. And the performances by Nicole Dambro as Meg and Terrance Wentz as Durant are incredible. It is clearly an indie film and I forgive (and actually appreciate) some of those indie flaws, but I have a hard time forgiving the bad dialogue. Some of it is saved by great performances from the actors and the interesting story, but, ultimately, the dialogue brings it down from 9 to 6 stars.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Premise, Solid Execution
jamesrkozlowski4 January 2020
I saw this at a screening in Chicago. It immediately hits you that, even though this was a super indie movie, the director definitely knows how to handle a camera. It feels like a $1 million movie, not an $75,000 movie.

Nicole was fantastic, and everybody else played their roles well. It is not for everybody, but that is a good thing.
13 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Groupers": Singularly Weird and Watchable
jtncsmistad5 October 2019
The new screwball crime dramedy "Groupers" started out taking us down one path paved with the ominous and the sinister. Then abruptly and without warning sh-- got kooky and kinky. Kinki-ER. And flat-out funny. Thundercloud dark funny, that is.

First time feature film Writer/Director Anderson Cowan has a definite agenda here. Bullying, particularly preying on homosexuals simply because they're homosexuals, is not right. And he is, of course, right. But Andy, did you have to be so relentlessly preachy in driving your point home? Evidently you did 'cuz this is what ya did. Though I gotta say the "fruit roll-up" reference was a stroke of wink-wink genius. Well played, rookie. Oh, and may I add that I really like the fitting choice of Bible verses you chose to bookend your flick, too.

Ah, but I quibble. Taken as a whole "Groupers" proved to be a mostly engaging and entertaining romp from start to finish. And it is yet another robust reminder that the crazies cozily crowded into California are one wildly whacked-out group.
20 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promise turns to trash!
stevepat9928 December 2019
An interesting premise heads full bore down the toilet. I also found it to be an idiotic second half that was absurdly poor in all cinematic respects. Watch this film with your hand firmly on either the abort or super fast forward buttons.
40 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Saulnier Esque Film
lodicalifornia3 January 2020
When i first started watching this movie, the cinematography reminded me of those films that intentendly move the camera in a way that, if you are truly a film buff you know there is more to the film then whats on screen.

Just like cabin in the woods, if you started watching that and based the entire movie on just the first 30 minutes, it would be a bad movie, but you know it can't be this cheesy for lack of a better word.

Just like cabin in the woods, at some point, groupers takes a hard left turn and to say what that is would simply be spoiling the movie. Its a slow burn, but at the end it accomplishes what it set out to do and its crafted well for a first time directorial debut done by Anderson Cowan.
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Review Of "Groupers"
ASouthernHorrorFan14 September 2019
The movie is almost as cool as the synopsis reads. Almost. The first forty minutes set the stage, going right into the film's, dark, almost underground nature. And it is a good start. The characters feel familiar and the dialogue flows naturally from the characters. The immediate situation is edgy enough to hook you in. It all is a bit of theatrics that set on the edge of what is plausible, much in the way of films like "Pecker", "The Chumscrubber" and "Hard Candy".

The cast do a great job, for the most part, giving life to these "fringe" characters. However the energy and substance begins to lack at the midway point. Dialogue starts to feel redundant and the story arc sort of stalls out. There's still enough taking place to keep your attention, with just the scope of the situation, the introduction of the bullied brother that is most likely insane, and the continued tight performance by several of the cast.

Unfortunately things hit a wall with the last act. "Groupers" introduces a twist to the movie that does more to disrupt the overall flow of the story than it does to muck up Meg's agenda. It adds a distraction to the plot that doesn't make sense and does nothing to enhance the story. Still this is a cool, fresh, generation Z film that brings light and levity to an otherwise dark subject of homophobia and bullying. Just go in knowing that it gives half of what it sets out to achieve, and enjoy the downward, comedic spiral.
18 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.