Escape Room (2019) Poster

(I) (2019)

A fun little thriller.
rustonreviews9 February 2019
Drawing influences from Saw (2004), Final Destination (2000), and Cube (1997), Escape Room follows six individuals, all of whom receive a puzzle box prescribing a cryptic note inviting them to the Minos Escape Room Facility. Lured to the facility under the promise of receiving a cash prize of ten thousand dollars, these six strangers must endure several intricately designed puzzle rooms in a thrilling game of life or death. While the premise doesn't exactly scream originality, Escape Room is a perfectly enjoyable little thriller. For those expecting buckets of gore and sickening death scenes, look elsewhere, as Schut and Melnik's screenplay is much more attuned to focusing on the elaborate puzzles themselves, resulting in a film that intrigues rather than disturbs. Pace wise, the film doesn't slow down and is engaging throughout, some of the puzzle rooms are quite visually arresting, and thankfully the characters aren't just one dimensional zeroes either. While the ending does border on nonsensical, Escape Room is a still a fun film that is definitely worth checking out.
223 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Falls apart at the end
CronenbergsMonster12 August 2020
Dont believe the 10/10 or the 1/10 reviews. This movie falls almost squarely in the middle. The premise is essentially a PG-13 Saw movie with multiple puzzle rooms for the protagonists to escape (rather than torture devices). There are some really great set pieces, tense moments, and decent acting throughout. However, the film completely falls apart in the last act. Its clearly meant to be setup for a franchise, which completely belittles everything in the first 3/4 of the film and ruins all the goodwill established up to that point. This could have been a really competent thriller if it werent for the money-grabbing shill of an ending. As it stands, this is basically a sub-par "Cube." 5/10 for me; I cant fully recommend it.
38 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To my surprise, I enjoyed this movie!
valtierraitza6 January 2019
Went in without watching trailers or reading any background info on it. My friends really wanted to see so I tagged along. With horror movies, I never get my hopes up as it's hard to find a good one these days. I surprisingly really enjoyed the concept of this movie and would consider it more of a thriller. It never bored me and it wasn't gory like the saw films (which I never enjoyed). I liked the characters and their backgrounds.. it was nice to see how they all tied in together. It was a pretty good movie and I'd recommend.
299 out of 409 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cube did it better, but still fun!
Scorcesio6 January 2019
The entire movie, all I could think of was Cube and how this movie was definitely inspired by it. The beginning starts off like an eye rolling Netflix B-horror, but it really does get better! Very tense moments and the room concepts are great. You'll have a lot of fun watching!
93 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Watch .. until the ending
deniz_yazici9 April 2019
Enjoyed very much until the last 10 minutes. I wish the internet were to broke off at that point. Such a waste of a very cool flick.
134 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For what it is, it isn't bad
dsayshi2573 January 2019
You could tell by the trailers that this isn't an oscar winning movie. It's a thrilling, fun, easy watch and for what it is, it's pretty good. The acting isn't bad, it's a pretty cliche story but it exceeded my expectations! It's not bad but it's not fantastic. If you're a fan of these types of movies, you won't be let down!
117 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's scary that some people are giving this 10/10
thailerrhyne13 January 2019
Don't get me wrong, the people who are saying "1 star, it's visual vomit" are being dramatic. But this movie is not good. It's beginning and half way point are somewhat decent. Plot wise I mean. Acting and visual effects are lacking in many areas. But the second half till the end is horribly executed. The fact that it sequel baits you hard at the end is also a little insulting. Save your money. Do a real escape room instead.
290 out of 481 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A clever cross between Saw and Belko Experiment
alesjonestrader4 January 2019
I saw this film with my wife and in-laws - just a few days after we all went to a an actual "escape room". Astonishingly, everybody including myself was impressed with this film. You know you have a good movie when all generations of a family like it!

The acting was great - but more importantly this film had a great story. It never got boring. A very clever idea to combine aspects of the Saw films with modern escape rooms.

The only criticism I have about this film is that the twist at the end was a bit of a stretch - very difficult to swallow. But Overall - an excellent film.
140 out of 241 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Escape Room
lukehasenfus4 January 2019
This movie is a fun joy ride and is something that won't waste your time. Although it isn't Oscar worthy, it is a film that is enjoying to watch and get excited about. I highly recommend this film to just watch for a good time.
114 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that amazing, not terrible, but probably not worth your time for theaters
prostatus-0566412 January 2019
The acting was pretty cringeworthy and bad, the black guy was pretty terrible actor and the fisherman guy wasnt so hot either..The rest did fine or alright but the other two definitely kind of dragged things down..Interesting and intriguing at some points, boring and cliche at others..Kinda cool twist and concept I suppose near end but overall the terrible acting and kind of same plot doing same thing over and over and kind of stupidity of cliche backstories placed in, 4/10.
103 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Created an IMDB account just to warn everyone!!
reagansteyn16 February 2019
How the hell does this movie has such good reviews!? Did I watch the same film? This had to have been the most boring, dead end movie I've seen. That ending? That plot "twist"?? Its almost like this movie was created from a school short story essay competition or something like that. It's childish to say the least. I actually created an account with IMDB just to write this. Save your money (more importantly, your time) and don't bother. The highlight of the movie was my popcorn.
63 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected with fun suspenseful thrills that will keep you on the edge.
cruise015 January 2019
Escape Room (4 out of 5 stars).

Escape Room is a twisted and fun thriller film that lacks the originality of the concept since there are films like Saw, The Collector, and The Belko Experiment. But the film does not stop you from being entertained with a thrilling direction that does keep you on the edge of your seat and plays around with the concept of characters going through several escape rooms and puzzle solving. If they fail to solve in time or escape, there are some deadly consequences.

The plot follows several characters Zoey (Taylor Russell), Ben (Logan Miller), Amanda (Deborah Ann Woll), Mike (Tyler Labine), Jason (Jay Ellis), and Danny (Nik Dodani) all getting an invitation puzzle box that invites them to an escape room experience. If they get out, they will win 10,000 dollars. Right when they go to the destination and waiting in the first room. That is were the games begin. They will have to use their knowledge and problem solving to get through each room before they fall for the trap. With each room and puzzle solving involving a secret of their past. They figure out there is something bigger going on than just an escape room game.

The plot was good. It may not be fresh of an original idea. But it was entertaining to see several strangers trying to figure out the clues and survive. Each character has their own backstory of a tragic past that lead them to this game. Each character all has their own distinct personality on how they try to survive. Zoey is a sweet, intelligent college student. Ben is an alcoholic and a dead beat teenager. Amanda was in the military. Mike is a truck driver. Jason is a financing businessman with a selfish attitude. Danny is the geeky teenager who is obsessed with problem solving. But how are all these characters connected? Or what they have in common? The build up with the plot was good. As they go from one deadly room to another. From a room that is firing up in high temperatures to a frozen lake that is breaking apart to an upside down bar and a white static sound room that may not be for the sensitive audience that can not handle flashy dizzying lights.

Taylor Russell was good playing her character that is pushed to her limits as she progressed through the games. Logan Miller, Deborah Ann Woll, Tyler Labine, Jay Ellis, and Nik Dodani were all good with their characters.

Director Adam Robitel did well in building the suspense and thrills. As characters are facing danger in every room. The direction did well in making you feel claustrophobic or fear of falling from an upside down room. The opening scene with a character being crushed from a room with walls closing in does set the momentum of the suspenseful direction. The music score Brian Tyler and John Carey also helped creating the tone with each room.

I did feel like the twist was a bit far fetched with the last ten minutes of the movie. Without giving away spoilers about the idea of the escape rooms and the ending. Yes, it does leave room for a sequel. I was disappointed and the twist did not leave that surprising shock feeling at all.

Overall, Escape Room is a good psychological horror film. The cast was great. The script and plot was good with having several strange characters playing a deadly game. The direction did have suspense and thrills that was entertaining. Twist may have been the weakest link in the movie. But it was still a fun good time watching the movie.
59 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Cast
sassygayfriend85910 February 2019
I'm not a fan of PG-13 horror. I like my sex and violence. But I was pleasantly surprised by this. Yes it rips off "Saw" and "Hostel" but it shows that you don't need gore to be scared. It's the cast that makes the movie. I liked everyone. When a character was in danger, I was scared. If they didn't make it, I was horrified. Horror is at its best when you're emotionally invested in the participants.
58 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Escape from theather
eliaemil20 January 2019
There are many movies with these kinds of plots . Few people with different backgrounds entrapped in a place and were trying to escape. That part is more and less okay. The most important part is how to end the movie and what is the movie's message, conclusion or whatever. Unfortunately, this movie had one of the most irrelevant, disappointing and childish endings. The theater, where I was watching this movie, was like Escape Room for me. When the movie ended and the lights got on, I just escaped, not to lose any more seconds of my time.
87 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring,bland,mediocre performances at best
nick_papadai10 January 2019
This was supposed to be a mystery thriller. I guess like the series Saw or The Cube/ The exam. It is about some guys that are invited "randomly" to an escape room and they try to figure the way out and the reasons behind it. The story is very predictable which is sad to say the least, the acting is pretty bad as well and I'm not saying this from an elitist viewpoint because the actors aren't A tier, it's very below average. The viewer can't really search for clues in the movie which is kinda disappointing as well.

There is a twist somewhere but it isn't worth the time. If you are like me and expect a Saw tier movie or actual mystery thriller, you will get very very disappointed from this. As a big fan of the genre, I had to see it but I wish I hadnt
60 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This room filled with false reviews
edgy-827-48696521 January 2019
Beware 10 of 10 comments its just standard advertising campaign for James Wan and Co (and director of this film clearly his associate). Plot is stupid and laughable I even don't know where to start. Good actors "playing"... its just they don' shut up for a second, more looks like they try to fill your time with stupid blablabla so MAY BE you overlook how loose plot itself, how its all unrealistic and plastic with I think because scriptwriter really don't know what films like Cube really made when you don't see full picture... well there is NO full picture just some events and actions making just to forward the plot. Its so lousy. I think with time this cheap schlock have its 3/10 like "Strangers 2" and other crap. Just save your money so they can't make this waste-like movies.
66 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like Jigsaw, but produced by Disney and FOR ALL THE FAMILY!
educallejero16 February 2019
I absolutely despised this.

They SPOIL THE MOVIE ON THE FIRST SCENE (amazing first scene, by the way).

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

Another thing: Usually, the characters trapped are a bit more complex than these guys. They usually start as archetypes: the egotistical douche; the innocent teen; the maternal/paternal figure; the fat/dumb guy; the hot chick. But when we get to know them, we realize that everybody has done bad things, and even the bad guys usually have good qualities.

Whatever, that's what is usually done. Not this movie. This movie is nothing. The archetypes are only archetypes, backstory or not. The "who's doing this" has been done a gazillion times before, and probably every single time, better than here.

And one thing is to be predictable, a lot of movies are in some way or another. Another thing is to be predicable, and play it like they are being new and different while also giving CLEAR EVIDENCE OF WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN, with the already named FIRST FREAKING SCENE!

Whatever. This is atrocious. Also, about that Disney thing. You have traps. You don't need to go to the extreme Jigsaw graphic violence. No need for that. But you also can't just be PG-7.

They stole my money except for the first scene, and a great "Room" sequence. Not enough.
22 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Thought This Film Would Be Good But Ultimately It Falls Apart
ymyuseda30 January 2019
Rating 6.9/10 The film in itself was good in terms of acting performance , sadly the storyline was poor . I thought this film would be good but ultimately it falls apart !! I'm so disappointed !!
101 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible movie, "acting" was cringeworthy at best! Ugh!
klare-949-16262028 January 2019
My son and I were actually laughing at the cliche characters and poor writing. No one is likeable and the only decent actor is killed off early! Don't waste your money
50 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie!
emmatween7 January 2019
Don't listen to the snobby critics reviews, this is an amazing and suspenseful movie! I just love the fact that they can make a movie suspenseful,scary, and fun to watch, yet also keeping the pg-13 rating, overall I would definitely recommend you watch it!
116 out of 260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Nothing New or Unexpected here.
UltraMaximal5 January 2019
We have seen this maybe 100 200 times already in the past 20 years alone. Random people get invited to a thing and then one by one fall victim to something predicable. If you have seen The Cube, 2,3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. or any of the Saw movies, you have seen this move. Then if you are old enough to go back to the 70's 60's or 50's there is another plethora of movies with the exact same plot. Save your money and watch any of those for free.
41 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
On edge the whole time
geramicaw6 January 2019
This movie was better then expected. It put me in the mind of Final Destination and Saw...?however it didn't finish strong and I lost interest probably like the last 15 to 20 in the end.
35 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun
TheTruthDoor4 January 2019
I found "Escape Room" to be a fun movie from start to end. The acting was superb, the plot was interesting.

It does feel a little like a mix of a couple of other films but that did not stop me from enjoying it.

The ending is a bit of a stretch and obviously a setup for a sequel, but it worked.

Go see it for fun!
46 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unfinished/nonsense clues. Is this a joke??!
ack-8320919 January 2019
Deserves the worst movie prize; in all senses. Horrible actors; cheesy; stupid confusing story lines. Makes absolutely no sense at all. Someone got paid to give good reviews here...
62 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty awesome movie!
breannamarie-576285 January 2019
My husband and I definitely loved it! We didn't have to see nudity or a bunch of gore everywhere for it to be a great film! The actors did really well with their acting. The ending has a great spin to it! I I can definitely re watch this again and enjoy it like how I did the first time. Love the movie. We are ready for the second one!
81 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.