I Am Vengeance (2018) Poster

(II) (2018)

Not that bad--decent action
matvox-4324325 January 2019
It's a decent Netflix action movie. Not that bad. The star is ugly, the characters simplistic, the plot as basic as it gets, but there's plenty of good old fashioned violent revenge. Throw in a few cute women and you have the makings of a regular Grade B movie. What's not to like?
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Testosterone, bad directing and writing failed this film
TopDawgCritic27 August 2018
Sure we've seen these films before. Yes there was every cliche in this film. But I never get bored watching vengeance films - unless they are produced like a 5th grader.

Right from the start (and throughout), the annoying Tetris music set the stage for failure. The screenplay just as infantile and bad. The director couldn't even instruct his actors on where to properly look during certain scenes, and where to aim the cameras properly. The heroin addict girl was overly annoying, loud and obnoxious. Stu Bennett overplayed and under-performed this tough guy act. He made Steven Seagal look more convincing in his recent flop action films. The fight scenes where 1980's. The entire film was predictable.

Unless you're really really bored, I'd pass on this one. Even the fake reviewers felt guilty giving this a 10/10 so they gave it an 8. It's a very generous 3/10 from me.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Above Average Ol' School B Action Movie
ActionFan-Reviews3 September 2018
Keep in mind most of these direct to VOD, bargain bin action titles are crap. I admit I am a bit of a connoisseur of B-action movies which led me to the generically titled " Vengeance". I had heard of the main star from his WWE days as "Wade Barrett" and from another decent B - Level action film "Eliminators" with fellow action star Scott Adkins. I did not expect much from the movie and I'm sure most people who watch it won't either, but it does deliver on some solid action. Plenty of fights, shootouts, violent bad guy deaths with one liners thrown in for good measure, A good body count from the former WWE star who would do well in other low/mid level action movies. Perhaps a Russian henchman or sidekick to some aging action star. Overall, if you dig these kinds of movies you should give it a watch and ignore the (current) 4.0 rating and enjoy these movies for what they are.

13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie!
tkarlmann12 November 2018
Revenge flicks are my cup of tea. This one is very good. Loved that this film didn't take itself too seriously -- as shown in the very good female characters -- good comedy relief there too.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good B action movie.
braddy424 August 2018
This one had a lot of originality and unpredictability to keep a viewer engaged. I find almost all B action movies boring and cartoonish Ninja like, but this one was a level above normal largely because of the interesting lead.
23 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seen it a million times before.
tcb377325 August 2018
This is such a stale outdated plot and terrible acting. Can't believe I actually watch the whole movie. Knowing how it was going to end from the beginning.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Limited vengeance
TheLittleSongbird15 October 2018
Saw 'Vengeance' because the idea was somewhat intriguing, despite not being a novel one by any stretch, and revenge have been done well numerous times. Didn't have high expectations but was hardly dubious and was genuinely hoping it would fare better than the less than great, to put to mildly, reception makes out.

The sad news is that count me in as another person who was not impressed by 'Vengeance' at all. If asked whether it was as bad as has been said by most, my answer would be by subjective standards yes it is. Have seen worse but nothing in 'Vengeance' works on any level, am not giving a negative review for malicious reasons. Was actually hoping it would be watchable regardless of how problematic it was, but there is a fine line between that and a film that doesn't look as though it tried particularly hard and 'Vengeance' falls into the latter.

Visually, it is far from slick or stylish. Instead it looks cheap and low budget and hasty time constraints are betrayed in every scene in especially the editing, which is one of those films that was edited on a broken down bacon slicer. The music is intrusive and is one of the film's most annoying assets, also felt it didn't fit at all with the style or the atmosphere of the film and like it was intended for another film.

Direction is never more than static, which is not a good position to be in. At its worst, it is hard to detect any direction as it does struggle maintaining momentum or telling a coherent story, but it is especially bad with the direction of the actors and the character interaction as both are seldom detected.

Furthermore, 'Vengeance' is a dreadfully scripted film. Have not in a while heard dialogue this juvenile or senseless, Key Stage 2 primary school students have written better and that is being serious. The story does nothing new with a less than novel concept, there is no tension or suspense and it is all non-stop predictability and dullness. Complete with sloppily edited and clumsily and seldom, if at all, coherently choreographed action, which lacks excitement and felt 30+ years out of date.

Not a single interesting or likeable character, Sandra is excruciatingly irritating beyond belief. Have come across some annoying characters recently but she takes the cake. The acting is terrible, with Stu Bennett badly lacking the charisma for a role clearly intended to be gritty, parts are over-compensated but most of the time this is a lazy effort for him.

Overall, a failure on every level. 1/10 Bethany Cox
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never trust a movie poster with multiple 5 star rating
phanthinga20 October 2018
I'm a pretty forgiving person when it come to action movies cause I believe not all should be on the same level at John Wick,Die Hard or T2 but sometime I come across a horrendous movie that seriously make me rethink about my life choices and this time the movie called "Vengeance" (2018).Starring Stu Bennett as the ex military badass in this "Walking Tall" kind of story you would think nothing can go wrong when it such a simple and easy premise but the reality is it not only wrong but beyond redemption.Bennet is the worst vigilante I ever saw in my whole life and when the movie give him a chance to make itself a bit more tolerable that is to get rid off the annoying as hell junkie chick "Sandra" the script written by the director himself Ross Boyask screwed that up cause apparently Bennet character "John Gold" sympathy for her and let her be his sidekick while he already got something real good going on with the café owner chick "Rose".I know that the romance aspect in these B-grade action movies nothing more than just a way to make us as the audience find the main character more likable but "Vengeance" somehow managed to screwed that up too
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good popcorn movie...however,
melody-3192213 May 2019
Don't expect too much. We have seen many of these scenes in other movies. Same formula. Acting was okay. We have seen worse, this wasn't so bad.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
80's gone bad
timjones-8973725 August 2018
With bad acting terrible plot and average fighting scenes this was a flop. Sandra was the main reason for the ludicrous acting don't waste your time
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stu Bennett legit hard man
kevxzara28 August 2018
The man one thing I loved about this movie is stu Bennett aka wwe bad news barret. This guy plays this part perfectly and is a legit tough guy in real life, a bare knuckle boxing champ, stabbed with a 8inch blade and even beat the guy up somehow after being stabbed, I love stu Bennett a felow guy brought up In Preston Lancashire. Hope he gets bigger roles in better movies,, thumbs up to STU
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheap, cliched, and not much fun
Wizard-827 December 2018
It isn't very often that you come across a British action movie, which "Vengeance" (a.k.a. "I am Vengeance") is. But if you are unfortunate enough to watch this movie, you'll see why British filmmakers make very few action movie. It's an awesomely cheap affair, seemingly with interiors filmed in abandoned buildings and empty storefront that have been hastily and skimpily set dressed. The camera is also jammed in close to the actors more often than not (another tell-tale sign of a low budget), and the cinematography is dreary and sometimes blurry. The movie is also saddled with a bad script. The script has absolutely NO surprises; you'll have seen every plot turn in hundreds of American action movies before. The script doesn't even really take advantage of the British setting; with almost no rewriting, this story could be taking place in America. The lead character is also written (and performed, for that matter) to be little more than a brutal thug with no heart or sympathy attached to him. As for the action, it's a long time coming; you have to wait until almost the halfway point for the first real action scene. And when the action does come, it's choreographed and directed in a manner that's lame and confusing at worse, and utterly routine at best. In the end, the movie is only recommended for people who have never seen an action movie before... or any other movie before, for that matter.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Potential to be a good film but massive let down
msalra31 August 2018
Trying to be a cheesy American action movie in a small English town. Should have left out the corny speeches before fights. The fight scenes unrealistic. Had the potential to be a good film but massive let down
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
julievhill-7565325 August 2018
This movie is pretty good not great but not as bad as the previous reviews suggest
12 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So disappointing!
doctorslide-1003626 August 2018
I'm a massive fan of revenge movies but this left me feeling flat. Standard plot, every macho cliché in the book and some very average acting.
9 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Action gold
tracyjones-826218 February 2019
Love a good action film and I am Vengeance doesn't disappoint. Lots of fun and easy to watch.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good action and fight choreography
tomrussell-7101515 December 2020
Dodgy writing here and there. Good lead acting performances but my main annoyance is how these "Highly trained soldiers" can't hit a barn door with an RPG. The amount of rounds let off from they're weapons without hitting the target is just silly. Overall enjoyed the film though
Not Great But Watchable Movie
dwp194820 October 2020
10/20/2020 I watched this movie along time ago, never left a review back then and don't remember it as being that bad? The main character played by Stu Bennett aka Wade Barrett is not believable in his roll., nor is he a Brad Pitt look alike. It was an OK movie and 4.4 stars seems about right. The new and improved 2020 version of I Am Vengeance SUCKS (really bad). I quit it half way. Bon Appetit'
So dumb it's funny
rdamian196319 October 2020
Don't have expectations. Acting is fairly poor and the fight scenes are almost comical. It's poorly entertaining
One Man Band Revenge Opera
zardoz-1327 August 2020
Ross Boyask's "I Am Vengeance" is a standard-issue revenge movie along the lines of Michael Hodges' "Get Carter." Stu Bennett plays John Gold and he smashes a narcotics racket in a small British town named Devotion that is orchestrated by a collection of tough guys with military backgrounds. One of Gold's old army buddies is murdered by these hooligans. They are a nasty bunch who inspire terror in the locals. Gold blows into town and announces that he has come to find out who killed his old friend Sgt. Dan Mason. The bad guys are led by Gary Daniels, and he makes a strong villain. Not bad, but not a Charles Bronson vengeance movie. Stu Bennett has a commanding personality.
Dj review
djhypemason29 August 2018
Film looks wicked. I could see Tony Cook in this film. Action all the way, that keeps the audience entertained.
7 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like action, you could do worse
dara-fink27 August 2018
I'm usually not a fan of writer/director movies, but this takes the Hollywood revenge movie just a little more over the top.

A few plot discontinuities and a some of the dialog was, well, amateurish - but a very solid effort. Much colstlier movies haven't delivered as much.

For a little mindless entertainment, this is worth the time.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie was poor but not the actors in it
mscant1628 August 2018
I believe if given a bigger budget, better script, and proper director this movie could of been something decent. The main star was not in anyway a slouch. Though he needs to do some sort of martial arts training to further his ability to kick ass in an entertaining fashion; his straight face and stern tempo is one worth watching. His enemies didn't know what hit them, as he came with a realistic approach to combat against a trained faction, making the film enjoyable to watch. The main and most important character in this film wasn't the main star but the woman in the driver seat. Yes, I'm talking about Sandra, she was funny, hip, beautiful, and just the support he needed to keep the viewers watching. To be honest I thought the script called for her demise in which the movie would have ended almost instantly for me, overall a good film worth watching.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful writing
genetk4418 April 2019
And terrible directing and very amateur acting. Storyline was absurd,no logicto it. Really, no redeeeming qualities to this piece of junk.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reminds of a British Punisher
subwmn14 February 2019
It is great, but reminds me of Punisher being ex-military and fighting for people he cares about. Hatcher is Billy Russo, but the only difference is the characters have no relation to each other.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.