Dietland (TV Series 2018) Poster

(2018)

Dark Feminist Comedy
marysz30 June 2018
I haven't seen the whole series, but I like Dietland. Posters here have objected to Plum's passivity and desire to be thinner, but Plum, in a way, is a stand-in for the audience, who long to be thinner, younger, more glam, etc. but resist looking into the political and cultural systems that marginalize and impoverish them. I like the Brooklyn settings and NYC locale of the show. I hope this dark and well-written show gets a second season. All the characters are interesting and we need to get to know them better.
62 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should've had a season 2
Pukeonthestreet8 February 2021
Such a great show. So sad it didn't get renewed. Streaming services pick this up!
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exciting, quirky, and adventurous
tygerlily-9967129 June 2018
Great new series - and NOTHING YOU'D EXPECT. I actually avoided this show because of the title - I saw it on the AMC app but (wrongly) assumed it was another weight loss journey show. After seeing a promo, I gave it a chance. And it has won me over! Plum is a great lead character and the show is doling out pieces to a murder/revenge spree while telling Plum's story. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!
64 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Smart
fdaughte13 July 2018
I thought this was smart and on point, I love the cast, very surprised by low ratings, it's great to see something different
28 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great show based on a bestseller!
Dietland sure doesn't underestimate it's viewer, and it's obvious that some have problems keeping up. Take a look at the IMDb rating and a peek at the trailer's YouTube comments and you'll understand why this show is needed right now - BADLY. This witty, well executed and acted gem is being bombarded with furious mockery and hate speech.

If you want a good idea what this show is about before watching, I warmly recommend reading The Guardian's and The New Yorker's reviews. Definitely one of the wittiest and funniest shows on TV right now!
62 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hold on for the 3rd wave!
nikkigassner8 July 2018
"Back then, I didn't want to be the hero, I still wanted to be the hero's girlfriend." Watch it. Hell yes it's over the top, but it's amazing.
30 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show? Read the book.
erinloshaw26 January 2020
This is based off of my favorite read of this decade. Being a fat woman living and being treated with utter disdain by society it was rewarding to finally have a story like mine told. And the peppering of some radical feminism never hurts too.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I know it is fiction, but...
ghigau26 June 2018
I am a male in his seventies. After sliding into obesity in my fifties, I had sleeve surgery a couple of years ago. It was the best decision I have made in decades. I was able to cancel ankle surgery for deteriorating ankles. Nothing in my motivation was about looking better or being a hunk. Over 70% of type 2 diabetics who have had the sleeve surgery have been able to stop taking drugs.

The series needs to tread carefully on making bariatric surgery a villain. It is not. The body image industry is evil, and has been for my lifetime. I hope the series can continue to make that point without discouraging a medical procedure that can be life changing for many good reasons that have nothing to do with finding a date.
56 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fabulous
gguzzi183521 June 2018
I did not read the book, so did not know wat to expect. I love all the characters and the premise. Wish it was a full series. Don't want it to end! Great Job
46 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm surprised by the lower reviews
cindycrna20 June 2018
I really liked this. Acting was smart, characters were flawed but like-able, story is complex. Definitely a chick show but one I will enjoy watching. Give it a chance.
45 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm not sure about this
SnoopyStyle23 September 2018
New Yorker Plum Kettle (Joy Nash) is depressed, is overweight, attends her Waist Watcher meetings, and needs money for weight loss surgery. Her job is to reply to depressing mail for fashion magazine editor Kitty Montgomery (Julianna Margulies) from her adoring fans in her name. It's a low-paying unsatisfying job. She is befriended by the mysterious Julia Smith at the company who wants the names of Kitty's fan letter writers. She follows an anti-diet book to its author, Verena Baptist, the daughter of the creators of the Baptist weight loss plan which she was once on. Verena offers her a new method and is willing to pay Plum for her to join. Kitty hires former police detective Dominic O'Shea to investigate a security breach at the company. Radical feminist group Jennifer is murdering men for past sexual abuses which leads to widespread chaos.

Plum is rather depressing at the beginning which keeps the early episodes a downer. The plot unfolds in a scattershot way. She needs a co-conspirator who could join her on her journey. That seems to be Leeta at first but she disappears and then comes back and disappears again. That's this show in miniature. Characters come in and then are cast aside. The plot throws some big punches and some of them hit hard. The social commentary is compelling. It can get depressing with some attempts at dark humor. I appreciate the attempt but I'm not sure I even like Plum and I'm not sure I like this show.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joy Nash & Tamara Tunie are EVERYTHING
atoundraplawson6 July 2018
Putting a mirror to societal norms has never been done with such artfulness, anger and dark humor. This show is a best friend challenging you to look at yourself a little closer. It's extreme and over the top in some ways but it reflects the truth of our times. Juxtaposed against the brash, in your face writing is the delicate, passion-filled vulnerable acting of Joy & Tamara. They are masters of their craft taking risks with their characters. Their performances are examples of what separates good actors from great actors. This show is wild. But the acting is perfection with a cast so well matched that each scene is better than the last. The writing, acting, customs, set...all represent the best of what scripted tv should be. Thank you to each person connected to this production- stand proud of what you created and keep forcing a mirror of provocation in the face of societal norms.
52 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!!
schtdygirl2 August 2018
Hope this comes back. The premise is not really compelling but the story and acting is superb!
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brave, poignant, HILARIOUS
bonnebartron-128 July 2018
Every episode gets better and better! Talk about the zeitgeist, this show is so relevant it's painful at times, but those are pangs of too real. Sure the JENNIFER storyline is fantastical, but it's remnicent of terrorist groups that force women into servitude etc. it's also really interesting to read the comments, how many people are in LOVE and feel like there's finally a voice from the most silent corner of society. It's also interesting the dichotomy of reactions, the outrage, if nothing else, seems to be from a place of shame, so it somehow fuels the show to a realism and a recognition how close to our world this could be. It's the polar opposite of The Handmaids Tale, and yet they both are two of the strongest shows, and they are running in tandem. Love Plum, the whole cast is absolutely stunning, and the wit is so sharp it makes sense that haters have to run and grab a bandage by trolling in the ratings. Get it DietLand and BRAVO Martin Noxon, you're a true artist and your shows are all addictive!
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nearly discounted it from the name !!!
Maireadeyo28 September 2018
Just finished watching Dietland on amazon. .. The first 5 episodes are hard work but then it changes pace and it's like a bizarre feminist version of fight Club. .. it's actually great. .. I nearly didn't watch it because of the name I assumed it was about some fat girl on a diet but it's a political anarchic drama
12 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reality and fantasy collide
shahzaadee5 July 2018
I applaud this show for realistically presenting what fat people have to deal with day in and day out. I love the fantastic, little mood animations that are sprinkled throughout, just enough to be clever but not enough to become silly. Tough topics take bravery and I am excited to see this being tackled on TV.
33 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Started well and then descended into a steaming pile.
Aesafern24 January 2022
The series begins with Plum Kettle who's overweight and depressed, and is a ghost writer for a fashion magazine. Through each episode she gets roped deeper and deeper into a dangerous feminist movement where men are punished by being killed. It sounds interesting but it's not. The writing is cringeworthy and tacky, and can't help but scrunch my nose up at some of the dialogue. The characters are exasperating and I'm struggling to find a connection with any of them; they're so unlikable, even Plum. The show tries to be edgy and empowering but it misses the mark. There's no wit but a lot of crude. There was one episode that went on and on about being "bangable" where Plum is taken on a rollercoaster of being waxed and having some makeup slapped on her. It was weird and it didn't add to storyline. As I'm writing this review, the word "relevance?" keep popping up in the back of mind. I'm glad this show didn't get a second season, it's terrible, and the only reason I'm up to episode 9 is because I'm doing some paperwork and saving the other shows on Prime that deserve my full attention.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark comedy that tells it like it is with a twist:)
zabeing4 July 2018
This show has me laughing all the time. It is a great story of women in a patriarchy (we all know how that is) told through the eyes of one particular woman's journey. The lead character's issue is her struggle to accept herself in a plus sized body (we all know how the patriarchy allows for all female body types, right?!?). Pick your issue in your own life and go along for the ride. There are hysterical stereotypical characters (Kitty, her assistant, counselor) all a part of her personal journey while a vigilante gang called "Jennifer" is scooping up guys who "deserve to die" as these men have committed heinous crimes against women and justice was not served (we all know how that is in the patriarchy....) and drops them, literally, out of the sky. As I said, dark comedy. It can be tough at times as it takes on how man culture treats women in our society. Be prepared to think about male dominance at is foundational level. It ain't pretty.......
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AMAZING! BEST THEME I EVER SAW IN A SERIES
gabrielarivoiro17 August 2018
Simply wonderful, a insightfull take on feminist revolution, fatfobia, bodychaming, objetification of women, the dissasfaction industry, and the role of media on making women feel bad about their bodies, their age, and so on... Beautifully played by Joy Nash, dark humored and,intelligent.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a show I need & want
kmmrky4 November 2018
Wicked fantasizing show, but grounded in real pain and the daily insecurity of women and economic attack onto women for decades. Finally a TV show that speaks to the ridiculousness of men making money off the objectification of women's looks. The lead character is likable, thoughtfully flawed. and bolstered with a curious & colorful supporting cast. Layered storyline, with serious and silly elements. It's human, it's fun and it's also close some people's real lives.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow. That escalated.
ammar45617 September 2019
Me and my girlfriend watched this because it seemed to be about an overweight woman who wanted to lose weight through a gastric bypass surgery (one that my gf had). As the episodes went on, this started getting more and more intense, going into topics of rape, sexual inequality, serial revenge murders and a very dark, intense, fight club vibe (my fav movie of all time). I won't go into too much details but this is just really, really good. Not the easiest watch but wow.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent Revenge Fantasy, But....
jamaisj-838-9373212 June 2018
This is one of those weird shows no one likes to review. While the cinematographer is having some serious fun, and the acting is topnotch, this show is about half a step behind Ally McBeal. For women looking for a revenge fantasy this is actually a really fun show: The Jennifer organization is going after those who have escaped punishment through other means and empowering women to gang together to help each other.

However, past that the women running for cover because of Jennifer's actions are virtual throwbacks to the worst of feminism. Kitty is an old-school businesswoman who is ruthless and fears the patriarchy while Verena is a self-help guru trying to help Plum lose weight. Plum herself is willing to be guided by others but only stands up for herself in private; worse, she's obsessed with her appearance over her health.

The show just feels like it's a throwback to the 1980s and ignores a lot of advances since then. It's just strange that a show attempting to show how strong women are feels like they have to show outdated tropes of them rather than actually strong women....
24 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disconnected
ditimely31 July 2018
I gave up on this show after 5 episodes. Very disconnected, confusing and boring.
26 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High expectations - awful execution!!!
valadis-garganis9 June 2018
I liked the idea but the script is really bad. The stories don't combine smoothly. The main story seems fake without the trueness you want in a tv show and the rhythm is really slow. Huge gaps. I don't think I'll continue with this series.
39 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.