Aruvi (2016) Poster

(2016)

Good emotional drama spoilt by its reviews
saisandeep-7019419 February 2018
I don't dislike this movie and at the same time I dont think it is a path breaking experience and questions society as I have seen in some reviews.Though it is high on emotions,the ratings,and the beginning 20 mins are highly misleading.Heck even the storyline present in imdb is misleading.The protagonist as said in that storyline does not take hard on people instead she is amicable and playful which is a huge let down for me because I was misled by its ratings and initial 20 minutes.I wanted her to be rebellious and question the perception of majority.The movie doesn't put forward a moral and critical question but instead gives a lament message which it does very well indeed.I don't know why people think otherwise and say that their perception is changed.If this movie came 10-15 years before I may have agreed with that statement.Because if you had a contradicting perception before I don't know how do you fit in 21st century.Is this movie a new attempt and is never tried before?Yes but isn't as courageous as I have expected.Now coming to the positives the emotional thread of protagonist is well executed and the actress who did it is amazing.I don't want to spoil too much but the life of lead character is shown very well with little diversions here and there.There are some flaws in other characters but it is acceptable if you overlook it.These are my opinions about the movie.Avoid falling for its high ratings and reviews and enjoy the emotional drama and exceptional performance of the lead character.
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Middle part is amazing; but overall, contrived and sentimental
praghalathank25 February 2018
The middle part of the movie that deals with the reality TV show is a well-made spoof and critique of shows of such genre. But, the whole story is rather contrived; and the ending too sentimental. I wonder why the director chose a taboo subject and tried to glorify that character beyond normal circumstances. It is also obvious that the story intends to portray the lead female actor as a liberal girl fed up with social expectations for conformity. But, such a girl still has to contract AIDS under 'mysterious' circumstances! Probably, the makers were so much concerned to take care of her so called 'character'! May be, from their point of view the character might have lost its 'purity' if AIDS was contracted through the most common means! The movie tries hard to send a liberal message, but falters because it itself couldn't break the social expectations with regards to women.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good attempt at total social commentary, but ultimately flawed..
bibingraj29 December 2017
(This is the longest review I have ever written! Why I wrote this long because I needed to pour out my whole brain in to a thing which was all against what I am hearing from people. I might be going harsh on this film but it is to express my flaws in the movie. I have no idea if you would read all this, but hey if you are up for it, let go on this ride.) Guess I'm the black ship. Because I think the movie is okay, not much more than that. I think it had great potential to be more. This large hype and this hysteria, I really don't know, maybe because people always got/saw 'mass' films and over the top films, not the down to earth one. If you loved and enjoyed this film, good for you!

The beginning montage shots through Aruvi's life was brilliant. The director deserves due respect for those moments, just beautiful. The way he concealed how her family ostracize her, how she got aids, the family misunderstanding was very good.

But for me in the 2nd act while the director, Arun prabhu was getting on with his commentary of reality shows (the comedy moments) ,when the three guys were called up, she reveals she has aids and all hell breaks loose, the movie faltered for me. The timing of her coming to the show is off. Because temple guy, friend's dad all violated her when she was still in home (with her parents) or after she left her home. Then she arranged the 1 lakh for her father, where the 3rd person (guy who hired her for tailoring) comes into play. But after that she goes on a vacation with her friend and all. All these must have taken at least some months before the tv show events right? Then all of a sudden, she wanted to bring this into fore. Maybe she was mulling on this on her vacation and wanted some justice or some reveal to happen. I don't know.

Main question. What was her motive to come to the show - For them to apologize. She tells that beforehand. I guess she must have called them or confronted before for the apology. She might not have got what she wanted, so she took it to the next level - TV show. So, what was her plan (after the aids reveal) if they don't apologize. Get the gun from her bag and force them? Kind of stupid! So seriously what was her motive??? Reveal to them in a shocking fashion that they could have contradicted aids? To shame them on TV? Expose them? That seems like a more probable reason. What if they don't act as they have done any wrong? I really don't know. So all three must have had raped her or some form of sexual acts on her judging by their reactions on hearing the reveal. The guy who employed her asked for some sexual favour for money. But knowing she has aids she shouldn't have indulged in that, but that guy is bad for asking for sex but still I don't know if she should transfer the disease knowingly. Friend's dad guy and temple dude did bad things to her when she was not conscious, so they are very much in the guilty side. They raped her! But it's okay she don't want to file a case or anything, she just wants them to apologize to her. Not very good scenario if all girls just want apologies if something horrible happens to them. But I guess she didn't want anything more from them, because she was feeling guilty that they might have contracted aids and she didn't tell them after what they have done to her.

Also the bashing scene of her (for not revealing being an aids patient) by the host was so stupid, because if they (the 3 bad guys) did anything bad to her, it was while she was NOT conscious except that guy who hired her. Any 'fault' on her part might be that she didn't inform them but they were monsters, I don't think they deserve that info considering she didn't report to the authorities, maybe that was best punishment for them. So everybody ignoring that aspect is just plain stupidity. Aruvi kind of mentions about it in a blitz but it wasn't stressed enough in the movie.

Major plot point - Shooting the director of TV show The 'All hope lost aids' card can't be played like that while she shot the director. She could have just shot up the ceiling if she wanted everyone to quieten down. Also she could have really lost control and shot the director but then the scene was not convincingly set up, she didn't look angry or anything to commit the act. And this scene is very important because it changes the whole dynamics of the film. When she shot that director, you can't argue she was trained in shooting. Though she saw the gun from her childhood, it's not like she has shot or practised shooting. So basically, she could have killed the director which is very much important, you just can't take life of a person just because you are sick of the person or irritated or angry or whatever. She just met that guy! You can't claim that this was all a plan because she herelf confirms everything got out of hand.

The fact that she carries her gun in bag is very unsettling, plus the bullets! What is she preparing for. So was she staging a big commotion on a big regional TV, if so it would be for nothing.

The ragging scene. Blah. I was like all the people in the TV show room must be knowing at this point that she is just messing around and stuff. Felt more like put in for comedy relief and to reflect the hypocrisy in reality shows about everything being staged and not real. She could have just walked off at the start itself and surrender to the police. But she just wanted to be a college senior for a while, mess around and later feed them. Kind of like an exposition scene to show how loving,caring, funny she is?

Police catches her. I understand they be kept in medical camps but that doesn't mean that all aids people can cause crime and not be punished. What happened in between, did I miss anything? Doesn't the case still exist? Well it was a national news and a hostage crisis case's culprit (also an attempted murder, also shooting the director itself could be brought in focus her mental instability ) can't be released just like that. Even if all the people involved were to be like she was very loving towards us or we were treated nicely etc, we don't have any complains, can a case of such public attention and high profile be left like that and not punished. No security details around them???? How did she, how can she escape with such deteriorated, fragile health and supposedly police surveillance around her? How did she acquire money to living alone somewhere remote, consuming her ART medications and cooking stuff, internet connection? I don't know the legal side to all this so there's that.

The last scenes were projected as the sad scenes, didn't really feel real to me. While she was explaining about how she missed everyone and how she was scared, the director could have atleast removed the background sad music to make it more real and though wind sounds were put in it doesn't at all feel like something taken in a smartphone, her voice was so crisp and clear (ADR done in a studio), it removed the originality. Also the above things bothered me and took me out of the scene completely. (Also how did they track her down, it's not like she told anyone her address and if it was possible to track her, I can't imagine how much media people would be trying to get to her because she presents a great story. And like I said above is the case still on, doesn't the police want her for court trial?)

Finally this is all seems like a rant (having myself read this essay) but I don't want this to be so. Just a thought process by an average joe. Maybe there is answers to all questions that I have posed here, but from what the movie showed me, I wasn't satisfied. For me the film is a flawed attempt with a good short film at the beginning.
30 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
half commercial half documentary
jehosh19907 August 2018
Its a mix of commercial plus documentary movie explaining the plight of AIDS patients. Kind of scary too to know that HIV can spread in unimaginable ways. Acting performance is super. First half is well paced and interesting than the second half. But this is not for pure commercial film fans
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misleading Rating
niaz_islam15 July 2020
This film has one of the most misleading rating like some films in IMDb. Maybe the rating and review were falsely submitted as most of 10/10 review giver has 1 movie review only.

This film has no strong story, no exceptional acting, no exciting storyline and furthermore the script was million light years from reality.

It seemed liked as if the writer thought that the viewer has no idea nor they can use their common sense about how television program was shoot, prepared and executed.

The film wanted to portray a strong message about how women are treated in a developing society. But the logic less and unrealistic depiction of the events discredited the message it was supposed to spread.

For the lack of credibility and content the final verdict about the film is:

NOT RECOMMENDED.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated and awful!
naturepark28 December 2017
The film is overly dramatic, gross at times, and awful! The movie sends a message that living with HIV is equivalent to death sentence. HIV is a manageable chronic disease and it is not the end of the world.

The director does not have his facts straight about HIV. HIV does not progress to AIDS (which is now called stage 3 instead of AIDS) for 5-10 years after the person is first infected. So, how come the lead character experiences weight loss and AIDS related symptoms in such a short span of time?Also modern day HIV medications do not cause hair loss as a side effect and hair loss is generally not a symptom of HIV. The weight loss accompanied with it would have made sense 15 years ago when HIV medications were not technically advanced. It is highly misleading to portray HIV as a "death sentence" while the reality is far from it. This movie will scare any sexually active person into thinking that HIV could kill them.
33 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lifetime Experience
AnandOne26 December 2017
ARUVI A lifetime experience. A stirring poetry of comfort and conflict . Movie carefully but consistently travels between the montage and narrative movie patterns complimented by a strong non-linear screenplay. Movie heads to a climax of profound human connectedness but with a profound agony.

A Must watch.

Aruvi will leave a deep impact on its viewers. It may leave an impression, or nostalgia or a scar based on what kinda of a person you are. But this movie is not going to go way without making a mark in everyone's mind. Gift from a new kid in the block(Arun), to remind the world, TAMIL cinema is much ahead of "so called" progressive cinema in the spectrum of international film fraternity.
26 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie
svd-8332024 August 2020
This flim is very bad to watch. It doesn't gives any good emotions. It is over dosaged one. The Screenplay is irritating one.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rolling, SIR!!
vickyguy19 December 2017
Some say if you can laugh/smile and cry at the same time, you might be mentally disturbed or challenged. I was one for 133 minutes movie. A story that made me glued to my seat without nail biting action or thrilling scene, a tremendous performance and body language from a new face actress that made me felt im living in her shoes, a fantastic storyline that you can hardly tell its from a debutant director, dark comedies that can make you laugh and provoke your thoughts during serious scenes. Music and BGM was just too good, it soothes when it need to sooth, it hurts when you made to cry for the performance. Even when alaipaayuthey introduced maddy as new face, I was not able to accept the chocolate boy then, yaareda ivan nu appo feel pannuchi. But inthe movie leh almost every faces are new but everyone made me feel as if all are seasoned actor and actresses. Big kudos to director @Arun Prabu Purushothaman and team and much love for Aditi Balan for the spectacular performance. Aruvi, IS THE NAME OF THE MOVIE I WAS TALKING ABOUT.
14 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Certain pain cannot be explained by just words but "Aruvi" does.
heartyachieversjaggu21 December 2017
One of the fine and painful movie.... Your perception towards life and humanity definitely changes to its good. "Must Watch"
13 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life isn't black and white
akshayamnishanth25 December 2017
This is a movie that everyone must and should watch, I would say one of the best in the year 2017, and my comparison is not only with other Tamil movies. The director has literally shaken the stereotype of movies where plot lines are black and white, good beats evil, etc. The director has very skilfully, and at the same time very artfully portrayed a snapshot of life, with all the associated greys in between. It's hard to say if this movie is a comedy or a tragedy or a celebration, but then again, isn't life just the same?

Special mention to the cast, especially the lead actress Aditi Balan. Very rarely do we come across such talent in a debutant actress. I would say she has lived the role rather than simply performing it during the movie. Her subtle moves and gestures throughout the film have not gaudy element nor a bit of overacting. It is every bit as real as watching a real life event unfold in front of our eyes.

Don't miss this movie. The director has managed to convey a very important social message in an elegant and simple manner. I won't say what it is, lest it spoil the suspense of the movie for you.
12 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good but short of Brilliant
dassmi31 October 2018
Saw the movie with lot of expectations after reading positive reviews. Expectations peaked after the wonderfully conceptualised hostage sequence. But really disappointed as the movie loses its plot from thereon and you end up thinking what was the purpose after all. Is it to raise awareness about HIV, is it against consumerism, is it about reckless college goers, is it a revenge drama, or is about parental bond? It ultimately ends up as a confusing mish mash of all.

Aditi Balan is superlative as Aruvi. Special mention for Anjali Varadhan, who plays Emily, a transwoman with lot of grace and dignity.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Tamil film of 2017
airjordanyk24 December 2017
This might be the greatest movie Kollywood has offered us this year. With riveting screenplay and an excellent performance from newcomer Aditi Balan, Aruvi will keep you at the edge of your seats with nail biting sequences and an emotional backstory. Pretty much every element in this movie works cohesively with the script, and I'm hard-pressed to even find a flaw that is worth mentioning.

Finally Tamil heroines are no longer props used for dance sequences but are the center point of a film that deals with real-life problems.. I don't want to spoil it for people haven't seen it yet, but this is a must watch for anybody who watches Tamil cinema.
11 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated!!
aditis-405511 August 2019
The movie is really overrated and lacks cinematographic excellence. I only loved the second half. The movie isnt that convincing.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aruvi (2016)
santhosh-1029015 April 2018
The movie was so good. Aditi Balan and everybody acted very well in the movie. Songs were not much entertaining. But the BGM was good. There were many logic mistakes in the movie. But the movie has many good messages, Good Movie.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If it doesn't arouse, is it art? ARUVI does
Lynchian69616 December 2017
This is one of the best films of 2017 with an almost watertight screenplay that keeps you completely engrossed from start to finish with some mesmerizing central performances from the characters and the sidekicks but the main attraction of this movie has to be Aditi Balan. This actress manages to pull you in the story. She brings an intensity to the screen that only a few actors and actresses are able to do. You will love her and care for her. Through her you will experience a morality play showing how evil does not necessarily manifest itself in an orgy of destruction caused by war, that its roots may lie concealed in the malicious pranks of everyday life. I had no idea what to expect when I sat down to watch this, and I was pleasantly surprised by a film that confounded all of my expectations.

Aditi Balan, the lead actress at the center of ARUVI has lived the character and her ability to portray both utter intelligence and unknowable vacancy, as she does here, shows an uncommon deal of range. Her character in ARUVI has dropped out of society and every hint that we get is greeted with a contradiction. It then unfolds, flashbacks sandwiched between the main story. This way the movie never lets go of the suspense, while on the same time, it unravels new things for the viewer.

Well there are abundant world movies on psycho-cultural mirrors, harassment, male domination and abuse that are far better than this and Black Book, Red Road, Red, White & Blue comes to mind. I can't deny the fact that the Godhi Banna Sadharana Mykattu's ending with 'Katheyondu Shuruvaagide' song runs through towards the climax of the Aruvi.

Do not go to this movie expecting right to win and evil to perish, it won't happen, but along the way you will be asked to question every assumption. But believe me it's not easy being a woman in India and on the other hand this not a feminist movie as few of my friends had stated so. This is uncompromising, unashamed and a smash in your face, Post-Modernism, philosophical drama in short and on the side note the war between the rat race sexes and hedonist will rage on regardless.
9 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly Overrated for an average plot
This Movie contains women oriented social Message where a small misunderstanding can lead to a bigger issue for which someone's life gets destroyed in a few moments. Fast paced,great acting by the lead actress but direction is not flawless which makes this movie somewhat boring type,screenplay wasn't good. Overally one time watchable.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Review
dhiwamastermind201018 December 2017
The BEST MOVIE I saw ever in my Lifetime!!!

If there is any better words than Awesome, Superb, Extrodinary, etc, then that is my Comment...
9 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
powerful stream that bashes up left and right
naveensankaran1816 December 2017
Handling the stockholm syndrome scenario in such a believable manner, giving us a closed loop script - Arun Prabu Purushothaman and his gusty film-making.

Right from AditiBalan, everyone played their character to their core (not exaggerating)! Be it the studio assistant, cameraman, security guard - literally everyone was given their own importance and were portrayed extremely well.

With the backing of such a heavy script, Shelley Calist (cinematographer) focused more on intensity of the performance, to so-called cinemascopic shots.Bindhu Malini and Vedanth Bharadwaj (Music), had to play like Gautam when Viru is bashing up all over the park - The perfect partnership.

Aruvi - powerful stream that bashes up left and right. Be ready with your answers.. Ready for the test?
10 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heart touching
Narender19331 March 2019
Really makes sense and give kicks and make you cry, laugh and entertained..👌👌
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Social Drama
bunnysharman2 December 2020
Slap to Our Society good Acting and Story with l loophole and but watch it for Aditi balan acting simple and Sweet
Must watch movie
varundevik9 October 2020
It is an excellent and unique movie. The story unfolds onto you gradually. Nearing to end it grows with various emotions and just flows freely. A good approach to different kind of storyline. Music and performances are great.
Beautiful movie
manojmanpal26 September 2020
Aruvi is sometimes fast paced but conveys whatever is required. This is a very good attempt to show what is necessary in current society circumstances. Love everyone irrespective of how and what they are as each may be going through their own roller coaster ride. This movie makes you smile/cry at certain situations. All in all very movie which you can watch with family
Absorbing movie & stellar performance
goinkran21 May 2020
'Never send a girl out of home without trusting her reasons' is the message that comes out loud and clear. The society is known to prey upon the helpless.

Aditi Balan has brought out the life of Aruvi very well and I am awaiting the release of her next movie Padavetta in Malayalam.

There are a few holes in the hostage drama which can be ignored as the Director has done a wonderful job of keeping the viewer interested!
Must watch movie
santhoshsalian2 April 2020
I just cried a lot. this is called marvelous movie with a social message..😢😢