The Poison Rose (2019) Poster

First time Travolta & Freeman star together. Surprising, right?
trinaboice25 May 2019
Written by Richard Salvatore and directed by George Gallo, this film noir features an incredibly talented cast: John Travolta, Morgan Freeman, Brendan Fraser, Famke Janssen, Peter Stormare, and Robert Patrick. Surprisingly, this is the first movie that John Travolta and Morgan Freeman have ever been in together. With that much star power, this movie should have been excellent. Unfortunately, it's not.

The Good: It's a pleasure watching John Travolta and Morgan Freeman, even in bad movies. I was shocked when I first saw Brendan Frasier on the screen. I hadn't seen pictures of his recent weight gain and wondered if he did it intentionally for this film. He didn't but I thought his acting was outstanding in his role as the doctor. I've always been a fan.

I like Famke Janssen and thought she played a southern belle well. She looked like she had some new cheek implants done recently. Why do beautiful women in Hollywood mess up their original beauty?

It was great to see Ella Bleu Travolta star with her father in a movie. I felt bad that the script mostly had her crying during the entire movie. She was also in the movie Old Dogs with her dad. She is one of those rare teenagers who actually likes her parents and isn't embarrassed by them.

The music sounded like it came from a 1970's drama and set the right tone from the very beginning.

Some have criticized the Texas drawl that the actors tried to master but I thought everyone sounded fine.

The Bad: You can almost guess what happens by just watching the trailer. Even with a twist, it's predictable. What's the opposite of energetic? That's this movie. Everyone seemed very tired the entire time. The ending left me underwhelmed. The shoot-out scenes are a bit sloppy. Characters conveniently appear and disappear in the story, leaving messy holes that leave you wondering "What was the point of that?" It tries to be deep, but it's not.

You can read the rest of my review at Movie Review Mom
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pitiful
m-arsic07082 June 2019
Boring, predictable, boring, laughable, and boring again. and pitiful. people really should know when to say no to a pathetic script especially after doing great ones in the past.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible directing and awful music- b movie
filmtravel10129 May 2019
I like john travolta and love Morgan Freeman but this b movie script is so poorly directed that it took 3 directors. George Gallo directed Middle Men which was fantastic so a bit odd this film was so poorly made. Camera angles are off and in strange places, the piano music is terrible almost laughable in some parts. But I agree with most that Brendan Fraser steals the show. Hard to imagine it's the same guy from the Mummy and Tarzan yet he still has that charm. JT unfortunately has sunken to a Nicolas Cage low b movie status - and what compelled MFreeman to do this film. The outfits and cigars? Savannah?

The script was perfect for a low b movie that just does not work unfortunately esp with this cast that was all over the place probably due to terrible directors

A 3 stars mostly for Brendan acting is hysterical.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a waste of time
binaries2 June 2019
Good cast. Spoiled by poor screenplay and feeble direction.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh dear, John
MooveeVu25 May 2019
My oh my where to begin? I can understand JT's attraction to this movie. It starts off as a classic old noir detective show (with JT as the narrator). Quite intriguing standard Maltese Falcon/Raymond Chandler style to begin with light tinges of Get Shorty and Pulp Fiction thrown in. I feel that this may be what attracted both John and Morgan initially. The doe eyed secretary and beautiful, mysterious woman waiting in his office when he escapes from the hitmen sent by (presumably) his bookie for outstanding debts. The lure of the dollars offered and a trip back to his hometown (with the bad memories) offers some interesting plot lines and, indeed, the film shapes up as having some potential. Morgan Freeman is introduced as the evil doer (who knows how he got there??) Then, (OMG THEN!!).....this movie rapidly spirals into self implosion worse than the Simpsons 3d episode!!! Seemingly rushing toward a timeframe ending with Keystone Kop like shootouts, ridiculous and implausible twists and turns and a finale that is blatantly obvious to even the most unobservant viewer (supposed twist at the end easily figured out way earlier!). The acting (from all) towards the end would embarrass a 7th grade school play lead. It seems as though everyone involved just wanted it to end asap (as did I). A real disappointment given that the start was quite good but it is a sad indictment on some of the potentially great actors of our time that, in the twilight of their careers, they are signing on for roles that are not only laughable but ruining their reputations and are certainly below the skillset, experience and expertise that they have achieved through out their long and illustrious professional working life. 3 points for a reasonable beginning, the rest is abysmal.
29 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Embarrassing!
aurasbob28 May 2019
A sad ending to a long acting career. I'm surprised Morgan Freeman would lower himself. A laughable story, mediocre acting & terrible directing.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining alternative to typical Hollywood
AlabamaT25 May 2019
Despite several clunky scenes and some predictability in the storyline, it was an entertaining 2 hours, thanks in part to Brendan Fraser's hysterical performance and classic Morgan Freeman. John Travolta could use a few pointers on his southern-drawal, but he's still fun to watch. The slow, dim noir feel works, but who wouldnt recognize the fountain and gorgeous homes as Savannah not Galvaston. Overall worth a date night if looking alternative to the canned showboat superhero movies and shallow violent films with limited vocabularies.
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3 stars for the period,
billking66663 June 2019
Set in 1978 brought back some nostalgia, but other than that the movie sucked. Travolta plays a cool character, but the first half is like watching grass grow. The second half has so many bad plot holes and ridiculous scenes it should have been labeled a comedy. Spoilers next: One, football players don't become private eyes. Taking out a sniper in the bleachers with a football thrown from the field is science fiction. Taking out 3 hitmen with a 6 shot revolver is laughable. The idea that the rest home could have several dead patients buried around the building is a joke and how did Travolta know where to dig? Where did the patient get the gun? Freeman specifically said he was going after the daughter, but Travolta came back and said everything was over. The football player had the cancer drug in his system, which was killing everyone in the town, because of the bogus toxicology reports on the oil refinery, so why was that not addressed.So the mom is dying of cancer, the daughter is going to be indicted for murder, the refinery is still giving everyone cancer, Travolta leaves his cat in CA, the hitmen are not through with him, yet the movie ends as if everything is hunky dory.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
Jamie_Seaton25 May 2019
This is possibly the worst film I've seen in 2019 thus far. Who's idea to try and attempt a noir style film with this cast is beyond me. It fails on all fronts! Right from the get go with it's poor editing and cliche'd filled madness it's a no brainer the film needs to go in the nearest bin!

Big fan of noir so maybe that also helped in my vote! Avoid at all costs
29 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's worth more than it's rated
byron-11625 May 2019
Forget some of the film's flaws. It's an entertaining film-noir type of the 1940s. Travolta is not an ideal PI, but a joy to see him act with Morgan Freeman and Brendan Fraser.

If you like film noirs of the 1940s, don't miss The Poison Rose
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the gravedigger
ops-5253524 May 2019
I once used to try to dig john travolta, but unfortunately , for each flick i see him in he is keeping on digging himself his own grave, and have soon dug himself to china, to try financing his future products ,full stop.

no, i did see this film because i like morgan freeman, 82 yrs of age, even a bit older than me, and well he does not impress either.

its a film about a small time private detective that sets out on a mission to find a little ol lady in a dull texas gulf coast town, and as three is a lucky number it is his beloved town where he was born and raised 20 years ago..so everybody is so happy to see him and shadows or shadows away from him, as he is like good old colombo, making people dizzy and frustratedby the talk and walk as an intrusive threat. he finds a lot of errors in the community and sets out to clear up everything before returning to sunny l.a..

its a boring flick, i smiled at 2 occasions, and its neither dramatic or thrilling, and the shootouts are so bonanza like that tuscon city took his tux-on and took hi ho silver to bed.

the story,plot and point of this story,are just as meaningless as this review, so dont bother read it and dont bother watch the film, its not good.
25 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wat da hail John ?
thoreaufinder7 June 2019
Do not, do not ever cast Travolta with a southern accent. Oh my! Worse screen writing and worse acting I have seen in awhile. Very disappointed.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Old Haggard Looking, Goes For The Script As Well
davidsask25 May 2019
My how the once mighty have fallen! It's one of those I took it for the pay cheque, or nepotism in Travolta's case as daughter in it. Brendon Fraser just gives me nightmares looking at him. is so sad. When John does a terrible accent with narration from start, That should be all signs to peace out there! Not a rose you wish to see, This one smells dead on grave stone 2/10
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A real trash!
mc_figueiredo26 May 2019
I have never seem John Travolta in a garbage movie like this one !

I really do not understand why he thrown his career on the garbage after choosing trash movies like Gotti , Speed Kills and this top one The Poison Rose ?

The movie waste talent actors like Morgan Freeman , a plus size Brendan Fraser , an old and tired Robert Patrick .

If you don't care to waste your time and witness the ending carrer of a fantastic actor like Travolta , please be my guest and watch this trash .
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
G. One of the worst movies released in 2019
BasicLogic25 May 2019
A "beautiful" woman awaiting in his P.I. office? Define the word "beautiful", a woman already past the prime with a disgusting absolutely unnatural botox upper lip, wearing a low-cut cheap cocktail black blouse...and you dared to call her "beautiful"? GiveMeABreak #1. Morgan Freeman got a pretty singer daughter who didn't look a bit like him; there's no need to check them really related, 'cause by looking at them, there's no least resemblance at all, that's GiveMeABreak #2. So the scripted screenplay and the cast at the very beginning already shown fatal causes to doom this lousy film, albeit the thugs from the bookie tried to beat him up and he easily avoided and escaped as predicted when the movie began, and there's already a new job suddenly so readily available for him to skip town for couple of weeks, gee, that's a lousy scenario already used maybe thousand times. That, I have to say, is the #3 GiveMeABreak cliche.

So far, before this movie went along further, showing JT in his shining impeccable red classic car (why all the down-and-out P.I.s always got a car like that? Definitely another stereotyped cliche) , driving all the way from the LaLaLand to the Texas town where he was born and raised, there were already too many cliches to be digested by me. Do I need to tell you that pathetic hospital scene and so on? Nah.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time to hang up your hat Travolta
tjsuf26 May 2019
This is as Cliché'd as Cliché can be. Watch the fist 5 minutes and if you're not laughing your ass off or upset about how washed up John Travolta is, then you probably made and or financed this movie. It's upsetting that some of my favorite actors are just taking any script they get now.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cast
fewsternoble6 June 2019
While this movie has a great cast, there's nothing to show for it, totally lacklustre, and uninteresting. 2 for the cast is about all I can give it
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
low budget even if is done by lionsgate
dorin_dorobantu5 June 2019
Lost of time characters playing like now they start acting 😂😂
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Take no risks, receive no rewards......
s32761693 June 2019
"Safe film" offers up a product that isn't bad as such but doesn't reward itself or the viewer, in a meaningful way either.

Such is the case with The Poison Rose. This is a film that follows a well trodden path of a rather conventional thriller, that's not all that thrilling.Instead,what you get is a ponderous, rambling, predictable affair that's never does anything to make it more than "of the moment" viewing.

Using veteran actors does little to enhance the general feeling of ordinariness that pervades this film either. Indeed, I'd argue this film could have been made with less well known faces and the final product would not have been all that different.

5/10.
Sucker for a Beautiful Woman with a sob story
nogodnomasters3 June 2019
The film opens in 1978 LA. Carson Philips (John Travolta) is our monologue prone noir P.I. He is hired for a case back in his Texas home of Galveston. Seems Barbara Van Pool is an inmate at the local sanitarium and is not allowed visits. Carson discovers the institution is run by Dr. Miles Mitchell played by a rather rotund Brendan Fraser with a lisp. Both were on the same football team...the one where QB Carson would bet on his own game and shave points. His ex-gf Jane (Famke Janssen) now a rich widow has a daughter married to the latest QB. And then the plot thickens and twist(s) but not overly clever and entertaining.

Morgan Freeman is in the film. I would have preferred Samuel L. Jackson and some obscure Pulp Fiction references, but it wasn't that kind of film..or even Uma and some obscure Pulp Fiction references.

Travolta does not have a noir voice. He was all wrong for the part.

Guide: Caught 1 F-word. No sex or nudity.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brendan Fraser is the best part of this film.
BlobbyLight2 June 2019
All of this Brendan is SO fat now wtf comment nonsense. FFS get over it. Some people gain weight, lose hair and have wrinkles when they get older... its called life. And maybe, just maybe, he is playing it up for the film.. you know, like, acting, costumes, not shaving for a week, gaining 20 lbs etc.. sheesh. At least he isnt trying to hide it (like all of the others in this film and Hollywood in general!). In fact, he seems to be embracing his age and all of the flaws that come with it and doing a damn fine job if it I might add! The last couple of roles I saw him in, he did a fantastic job of being the nerdy creepy weirdo type. Kudos to Brendan. Screw the haters, keep up the great work man! (next time, find a better script though)..
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So sad
grant_mcpherson26 May 2019
This is one of those movies that you start watching and think, because of the cast, it must get better. It doesn't and before you know it, it's too late to stop and watch something else. Let's face it, John Travolta's only decent performance was in Pulp Fiction and that had more to do with the character as against his acting ability. We need to stop getting sucked into movies featuring average "superstars" who really where only ever average.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable but entertaining.
Fella_shibby28 May 2019
The film starts like a typical Chinatown syndrome. The locations r gorgeous with those plentiful awesome greenery all around. It has some violent shootout scenes but the best is Freeman's screen presence, Fraser's laughable body shape n Travolta's cool act.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth more than the critics of ignorants
maxforamont25 May 2019
Nice film with great actors and a great dilemma. Travolta and Freeman on an stunning combination.
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet scenes with father and daughter
nairip26 May 2019
A thriller that keeps you interested and guessing who done it. John Travolta and Morgan Freeman are great in whatever they do. Young Bella is natural and sweet and inviting. This was a great little role to introduce her to audiences. She's got all the potential and natural skills.
8 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.