Dance Academy: The Movie (2017) Poster

Everything it needed to be.
vee-vee30 August 2017
Finally! After more than a year, I finally get to see this! Let me give you a little bit of context. I'm 33. I'm french-Canadian. I live in Montreal. I'm a graduate student. And I'm the only one I know that cares about this.

I think any review made by anyone who hasn't watched the show is missing something important. This is not a movie that stands on its own. It's the culmination of 3 years' worth of time following the incredibly relatable and lovable bunch that were in the original Dance Academy series.

I remember stumbling upon the first episode back in 2011. I was immediately hooked. I cannot count the number of times I cried, just because I was seeing the characters strive and overcome.

Watching this movie was like seeing my own little sister grow out of her awkward stage and try finding her way into the world. It was beautiful. So many "sequel" movies are botched and end up making things worse ("Veronica Mars", anyone?). But not this. This was everything it needed to be. I cannot thank the creators and producers enough for making this happen. You gave me the closure I needed. And I remembered something important: sometimes, your dreams change. And it doesn't mean you wasted your time believing in them.

So… don't spoil the fun by watching this movie if you haven't seen the 3 wonderful seasons of Dance Academy that precede it. Starting this journey at the very beginning is necessary! Scout's honour!
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
RachelCongo7 February 2018
I am from the UK and loved the series on Netflix. The movie has the same great cast, beautiful soundtrack and stunning performances. Xenia Goodwin has grown as an actress and dancer, taking the viewer on her emotional journey. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and hope for a sequel.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What I needed
life-of-hapiness17 August 2018
This film was great in the way it continued right where the series left off a few years prior. This film has so much emotion and I am glad they stayed with the original cast for this movie and it came across really well. I also loved that this movie showed that sometimes your dream isn't what you need and your ideas can change because of what happens to a person.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing - But lovely Dancing
srapkin-0945922 July 2018
I am a 62 year old woman who danced ballet as a teen. I thought the tv series marvelous and was truly addicted to watching it. The movie not so much. It was contrived and silly. Just didn't seem natural the way the tv series was. Choreography was very interesting.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you love dance, ballet it's worth a watch
You need to watch the first for some bits to make sense.

If you love ballet and dance and cheesy love story it's perfect. Great dancing and music.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Besides, it didn't even win me over...
RosanaBotafogo20 June 2021
Overcoming movies usually win my heart, but musicals and dances, with their cake recipes for nothing and low sugar, bore me, like, better get off the diet by eating tasty, boring and boring stuff, (version) Portuguese from Portugal, only the soundtrack makes us love, makes us cry and want to go on screen, the end credits with photos and videos of the child actors, won S2... besides, it didn't even win me over...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
jmmustchin24 April 2018
I've never seen the TV series, and was a little bit confused when I first watched the movie. However, I've watched it again (more than once) and have gotten the hang of it. It's actually quite good. Story of an Aussie girl searching for her dream. I'm Aussie, by the way.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice American Ad
no_vampires_here13 January 2019
I mean I have struggled to keep up with the story between american flags and another gazillion cliché footage. Honestly looked like they bought iStock footage and thrown into this movie. Alright I got it, NY and USA are these amazing places on Earth - cool! The rest is just superficial bits of a story that uses personal drama for attention. Disgusted...
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.