The Handmaid's Tale (TV Series 2017– ) Poster

(2017– )

You think you have seen horror films?
gottawalkit15 June 2017
If I may start 'off-topic' for a moment. I am male, mid sixties, and have watched, like many others, all the great (and not-so-great) horror films. After watching the ten episodes of 'The Handmaid's Tale' I can safely say that THIS is a real horror story. It makes the entire horror genre seem like cotton candy. After each episode I find myself shaking, often with tears in my eyes. I'm not going to talk about the story. I am going to tell you that the acting is beyond reproach. In almost every movie, every TV series, there are at least one or two characters that don't fit or are poorly portrayed. Not so here. I simply cannot find fault with the performances of the entire cast. Stellar! The sets, the direction, the camera work, the intensity all fit together seamlessly. This is a story of a good world...gone very wrong. This is a story about faith, twisted by evil intent, then thrust upon the common people. For me it is truly horrifying. I'm sorry I can't find better words to describe how this show affects me. I will say this: My daughter is currently attending university in the U.S. and I can tell you I fear for her safety every hour of every day. Not because this story is happening now...but because it is so close.
1,605 out of 2,046 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It has been said already, but I must agree: A MUST WATCH
MoreWalkLessTalk29 April 2017
I've never written a review in my life. After seeing this and then looking for more information about it, I came across IMDb and instead of finding intelligent reviews from intelligent people, I find a few that scream of ignorance.

It is pretty easy to understand why.

As the 20th century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more enlightened, civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down of society began to occur. How did this happen? Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest and in which the weakest or not-so-intelligent were culled, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Evolution began not to reward intelligence, but to coddle and save the weakest. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left "Intelligent Man and Woman" to become an endangered species. One need not look far within these comments to see that in effect. It's not that hate which is shown in some of these reviews that is killing the world. I think that up to a certain point all of us possess some level of hate. It is not having the mental acuity or aptitude to recognize it within ourselves, and to not let ourselves be led by it. Some of these so-called reviews are downright scary when you stop to think that is the actual mentality of the person who wrote them. One guy decrying interracial couples and gays to the point of not watching a television program that has them. A woman who says this could not happen and in the next paragraph goes on to detail how it could happen, only not as Christianity. Who cares what it is called, if you admit it could happen?

As for this series itself, it is relevant. For now. In this time. More than ever.

Beyond that, it is beautifully filmed and acted.

Do not fall for the negative reviews of those fanatics and zealots who are purposefully trying to bring down the ratings and who are so lost they cannot even practice the very laws of a god they are trying to defend.

This series is a masterpiece.
1,035 out of 1,541 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starting to drag
gaw-8860828 May 2021
Just like Most shows like this, they keep dragging it out. More dialogue, less activity. Would have been a great miniseries. I'm just about done.
30 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am done by now
manTOman5 May 2021
Its endless parade of misery with no hope in sight, I cant take this anymore and its always same story line. In the end we can see close ups of Elizabeth Moss huge eyeballs and see how she get kick and beaten. If you are sadist or masochist this is for your entertainment, Me? I am done.
52 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
elfyte-215-9683092 June 2021
First two seasons were absolutely different, amazing and incredibly addictive to watch. Season three I can sum up fast 'close up shots of June's face'. After season three I promised myself I won't watch this, but my friend said that season fourth is the last one. After the first episode (which was painful to watch) I started googling if it's really the last one and surprise surprise! It's not. Bye bye Handmaid's Tale, you could have been something really great.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Handmaid's Tale-Seaso-1-2-3
MR_Heraclius16 March 2020
SEASON-1 A masterpiece! Put feminism aside for a moment, this is a brilliantly told story whether you are watching it for empowerment or just as a leisure activity. Each and every character, supporting or lead, hero or villain, is well-written and gets his or her own chance to develop. Season One is slow in parts, but each carefully framed shot is purposeful and powerful. There is no holding back in The Handmaid's Tale, and as the story progresses, there are twists and turns that you have never before seen on T.V. SEASON-2 Season Two of The Handmaid's Tale is the perfect continuation of Season One, yet it comes back even stronger with new, shocking conflicts. Moss, Fiennes, and Strahovski all have incredible chemistry together on screen, and this season, the tension is stronger than ever. The Handmaid's Tale manages to get better and better with every episode as the writers and actors push their talents to a whole new level. SEASON-3 I almost gave up on this show after season 2. I am so glad that I didn't. There are so many parallels in our world to draw from. The Underground Railroad of the 1860s, the persecution of Jews in the 1940s and the persecution of women in the modern Middle East all serve as inspirations and are ripe with tales of rebels, agitators and heroes. In a day and age when most of our heroes wear capes or have billion dollar steel armor it's refreshing to see the plain old human spirit alive and kicking ass. Great 10/10
145 out of 219 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Haunting and Chilling.
Margaery-Tyrell11 May 2017
To begin, I believe that most people visiting these pages are intelligent enough to tell the difference between those that are reviewing this series with honesty versus the ones who for reasons other than the viewing experience, wish to tear it down. As someone has already mentioned, the negative reviews are fraught with fear and the worst kind of delusion that exists: self delusion (the delusion a person hides behind and convinces themselves of in order not to see the truth).

The Handmaid's Tale is a series that presents what could happen were women's rights reverted or taken away. There is nothing in my previous sentence that is not true. Let me type it again. The Handmaid's Tale is a series that presents what could happen were women's rights reverted or taken away. Is it an extreme depiction? Let's study that for a moment. In a Puritanical society, the Bible was the sole authority. Puritans believed it applied to every area and level of life. The Salem Witch Trials are one such example of Puritanical beliefs in action. Were it not for historical documentation, you would have people negating those as well. So, as to the question of whether it could or couldn't happen, the people most decrying it and stating that it could not happen, are the ones that most believe it can. Don't let them fool you.

The Handmaid's Tale takes you into this dystopian future, and it has never felt more real. I had to pause it on a couple of occasions to catch my breath. No, it doesn't hit you over the head every so often with good scenes; the beauty of it is that it is equally haunting, strong and breathtaking in its entirety.

To grab from another review: "The echoes of resemblance to the United States' current political administration create another layer of exceptionalism. Make no mistake, this is a political work. But it makes its case in a way that, like George Orwell's 1984 reflect our world back at us in a mirror that is both familiar and perverse", and because of it, it is extraordinary.

Rating: ★★★★★★★★★★★ Excellent
625 out of 1,007 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
June's face close ups..
misssmiles-3048123 August 2020
Season 1: remarkable and chilling. I could not wait to watch more.

Season 2: good start and continuation but the face acting slowly started creeping in.

Season 3: constant face close ups of June with the same half angry half disguisted look with an eye twitch. The entire season is acted by her face and it started grinding on me.
119 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should've been a mini-series.
tonybeva12 June 2019
The source material, by Atwood, was a mere 300 pages. The first season of this show was a brilliant adaptation of her work. The continuation into seasons 2 and 3 feels forced. Similar to GOT, when the source material runs out the plot grinds to a halt and the show becomes unidimensional and repetitive. If I have to endure another longing stare of scorn and disgust from Elizabeth Moss I might just gouge my eyes out. Although the political undertones of the show may appear to be on the surface relatable, the show fails to explain the giant leaps in logic and relies too heavily on the rhetoric that the religious right is trying to drag us back to the Middle Ages. The men of Giliad are basically straw men with not a hint of moral complexity. We get it. The "patriarchy" is evil and women have been victims up until about 60 years ago. This show is about as depressing as my Facebook newsfeed during election season. I think this should've been a one and done mini-series.
406 out of 656 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 1 amazing, following seasons...
allisongala12 May 2021
Season 1 is amazing, the story is weird and the actors are very talented so when you realize you can watch more seasons of that you get really happy.

After season 1 finished I was like omg FINALLY a show I can spend the pandemic lockdown watching!

Season 2,3,4 are just the most dreadful thing to watch, it's repetitive af, they are always caught, punished, then freed, (or escaped) then they get abused some more and enjoy hour of just talking and not even about interesting philosophical stuff... No about the show, they spend hours just talking about what's happening and how horrible (or amazing) it is over and over and over again. June has this kinds of conversations with EVERYONE over and over again, they all talk about the same again and again until you find yourself fast forwarding the episodes and realize that you don't miss anything. I never experienced a show where I could skip 2 whole episodes and not miss a thing, the same things are still happening just slightly different 😅😅😅 I would recommend watch season 1 and then watch 2 or 3 episodes on the following seasons, you don't need to waste so many hours.
30 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just drags on and on and on
quayummiah-8696525 July 2018
Season one was somewhat ok despite dragging on slightly. However season 2 is diabolical - this show just goes around in circles with no real development. So many scenes and episodes that have been dragged out for no reason. You can actually fast forward entire sections and still miss nothing.
375 out of 623 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Series started fine, but has become plodding and dull.
networktvisdead30 May 2021
I was a fan the first 2 seasons. The season 2 bombing gave me some hope that things would begin to accelerate, but from there he show seemed to be searching for the right gear. Season 4 is now a plodding morass of inexplicable closeups of June's face accented by slow motion time fillers. The cinematic tricks that set the tone early on have now worn out their welcome. Flashbacks are intrusive when the story should advance. Each episode seems 2 hours long when it really has 20 minutes of plot. Ah me, first network TV died, now this.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The Handmaid's Snail"
mzand-751-53957231 May 2018
"The Handmaid's Tale" is the TV adaptation of Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel of a right wing religious takeover of the USA that subjugates women. While beautifully produced, the two biggest problems of the series are the tortuously slow pace and the painfully boring performance of Elizabeth Moss in the leading role. Being one of the show's executive producers may account for her casting but she's five to eight years too old for the role which is about a woman being exploited for her fertility. The other major problem is that "The Handmaid's Tale" was a masterpiece of understatement and brevity. In trying to drag the story out over multiple seasons, the producers have been forced to go off on uninteresting tangents that did not exist in the book and slooow the pace of show down to an aggravating crawl. Do we really need to see endless scenes of Offred (Moss) climbing the stairs going into her room, slowly taking of her garb, all the while alternating between her three default expressions, dazed and angry, dazed and stricken and dazed and confused? Relieved by brief sequences of action where the story actually moves forward, insert the above in almost every other scene and that's the gist of the show.

If you're a fan of the book, the only way to watch this show is on fast forward. A better title for this series would have been "The Handmaid's Snail."
483 out of 826 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waiting for something GREAT to come on Television? Your wait is Over. THIS is IT.
MajorMAlice1 May 2017
Strong is the word for this series, and little, weak people detest strong so be prepared for the fake reviews and thumbs down across the actual reviews for it. Fear is a powerful thing.

The Handmaid's Tale is perhaps one of the the best Television accomplishments of not only the year (hands down), but of the decade. It is a profound glimpse into a future that could very well happen were it not for people like most of you and me.

In three unforgettable episodes, so far, women such as Offred ("Of FRED", since she belongs to Fred), played by the inimitable Elisabeth Moss, are coerced through bodily harm to be both concubine and scape/punching goat for well to do families. These women are subjected to physical, emotional and mental abuse in the name of God, or if not so much in the name of God, under the twisted word of god, by man. This is not to say that it is a Christian-bashing show, but it depicts what could happen under a theocratic society.

What is most outstanding is that the acting is so amazing, that its quietest moments may be its most powerful. In fact, at times, the series can be emotionally overwhelming and draining — but isn't that a characteristic of a superb and masterful viewing experience?

Don't turn away from it.
447 out of 778 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quit after episode 4
kmhowie12 May 2021
I liked seasons 1-3. Season 4 has been a real disappointment. I watched through episode 4 and don't plan to continue. For a one-hour show, almost nothing happened. One could accurately and completely describe the "plot" in about two minutes. It seemed that half of the screen time was taken up showing Elizabeth Moss exhibiting an almost endless variety of facial contortions. I have better things to do with my time.
36 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Elizabeth's FACE!
gadawag12 June 2021
I wanted to like this series and had actually watched up to Season 2, midway, but I got overwhelmed and just plainly put off by Elizabeth Moss's constant close ups!!!

My exact thought echoed here by several reviewers so apparently I am not alone! Just got tired of her face's weird projection that comes off like she is about to transform into an alien or monster or head about to explode as she semi lift her head with matching head/neck twitching, big ugly stare and pursed lip breathing.... so annoying and distracting!!! I just had enough of her face and felt overdosed that I needed to stop watching the show to get a much needed withdrawal from her.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Series 1 is okay, but in the end, it's just too many tired clichés about bad white cis males
me_on_quality5 June 2021
I had quite enjoyed series 1, even if the constant contrasting of bad white heteronormative men against the good rest of the world - basically everyone LGBTQ and all women not under the spell of evil fundamentalist Christian males - is just so tired and worn-out that it stops working once series 2 settles in without much new to say. Which is really a shame, as the acting, production value and storyline are top notch at the beginning. Two series and a satisfying conclusion would have been fine, everything more is just milking a dead cow.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feedback
niamhbyrne51512 May 2021
Season 4 is way too slow moving, I love the show but I find myself fast forwarding season 4.
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good series gone wrong...
domifabian28 April 2021
After watching first season I was truly impressed. I loved both the story and characters. It was dynamic and things were happening...but after season 1 it all went just wrong. First thing, June, the main character was very likeable in the first season, she cared for her family and friends, she actually wanted to something that made snese (saving her kid). But throughout the season 2 and then in season 3 she became my least favourite character. OK to by blunt, she became heartless person who does not care about anyone and is willing to get everyone around her killed just so she can achieve what she wants. I love when character evolve throughout the story but this just does not make sense. She basically became the villain of the series (honestly even Aunts and Commanders are not that cruel and selfish as June sometines is). And it would be ok if the show creaters made her a villain and admitted it that she is baddie now. But they keep picturing her as a heroine, despite she ruins one life after another. Another ridiculous aspect is that on one hand when any other person breache the law they are punished or killed. On the other hand when June does the same stuff, no punishment ever comes, praised be...I think that instead of this stubborn effort to have June as a hero even though she really us not that anymore, show creators could have focus on other characters that are loved by fans and show their stories too, instead of never ending footage of June staring angrily into the camera.
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 3 is a boring disaster
mariamakesmusic14 July 2019
First and second seasons were good but moved slowly enough for me to give my initial rating of this an 8. However like one of the reviews I read on this site said well is from the get-go this show has a very anemic explanation of how the world came to be in the show. But season 3 is a complete disaster. Too bad shows like this continue on when they shouldn't. 7 episodes of nothing in season 3 makes you wonder how these producers can scam their audience like this. If you don't have any story pack it in.
144 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Adaption Of A 'Must Read' Sci-Fi Classic, Good For Guys & Gals Alike
lewilewis199728 April 2017
If you haven't seen it yet or haven't read the book let's try to set the scene without spoilers;

Mankind is failing, most women are sterile because of industrial pollution (or Mother Nature just having enough of us parasites). Birth rates are plummeting. An ultra religious cult see it as their God given mission to 'save mankind'. They seize power by staging a fake terrorist attack against the US government, impose marshal law and set about rebuilding American society.('War On Terror' anyone?) They use The Old Testament as their blue print, but with some totally wack interpretations and distortions. Fertile women become the property of the state. Brain washed and farmed out to the new ruling elite as baby makers, slavery and subjugation is all they can hope for.

Margaret Atwood, Canadian hero, social commentator, environmentalist, activist, feminist, tech inventor, business woman and visionary always maintained that this isn't sci-fi, but 'speculative fiction', things that have a chance of happening in the near future. Written in the '80's it's probably more profound now; the Neo Con Christian's have become a powerful force in US politics. Could there be a Tea Party without the ultra religious Republicans? Probably not. Maybe it takes a next door neighbour from Canada to really see what's happening with the totally dysfunctional family next door? It has always been a source of debate about how a country so entrenched in the ideas of freedom and liberal philosophy can also be the home of such obvious bigotry and divide? Surely teaching Creationism instead of proved science in some State's schools is a warning sign? Maggie may well ridicule this dogmatic un-thinking, however it's far from funny when she points out the possible end game and consequences for society and women in particular.

The book, although heavy going at first, is one of those you can pick up every few years and just dive right in (thanks to Una for making me read it back in '87). I was worried that this TV adaption wouldn't do it justice. How wrong I was. It's slightly different, and relies on a lot of flashbacks like the original narration; however this narration helps to smooth over the cracks nicely. So it still sticks faithfully to the principles and main events of the story, albeit in a roundabout 'more up to date' way. The subtle creep up and takeover of government and power has been well handled so far. I am enthralled, totally impressed and on tenterhooks with Bruce Miller's adaption. The direction is also smart, (the hanging scene seen from the back of a van was powerful stuff). Every image is a perfect composition, nothing is wasted, it's real art in the hands of skilled camera operators.

The feminism is subtle, not the clumsy and overt 'all men are bad, all women are good little victims' like of some of the more hardcore feminist literature. Maggie recognises that some women can be bad too, and some men will die to do the right thing, as you will see. Her book made a point that this could only happen if most women were willing parties too, and that a 2,000 year old book of moral tales can hold a massive amount of power when deliberately abused in the wrong hands.

It's also highly commendable that the cast are just 'normal folk', no super skinnies, models, hunks or pretty boys are in sight. This makes it all the more believable, it could happen to you and me. The lead, 'Offred' (Elizabeth Moss) absolutely nails it. No spoilers, but she will impress you with her canny nouse and determination to survive despite many obstacles and traps. I haven't seen one bad actor in here so far, they've obviously got bags of talent and emotional range. The design and resurrection of 'The Shaker Movement', as in the book, harks back to an American and European age of persecution and religious fervor.

Adhering to Maggie's descriptions of the colour coded dress, the production designer's subtle placement of now highly valuable Shaker furniture here and there helps; the muted drab colours, even in the opulent wealthy homes, take us sub consciously back to the times of Salem, witch trials, mass hysteria and life devoid of 'modern vices' like free speech, self determination, free love and modern relationships.

I can't wait to see how this progress', although I know how it ends (can't tell you, but get ready for some shocks!). It's been made fresh for me. I hope you will all love it too.
347 out of 640 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a tough watch but worth it!
DiCaprio-HardyFan28 January 2021
The Handmaid's Tale is one of the most infuriating, depressing, and most difficult to watch shows I've ever seen. You keep waiting for things to turn into June's favor or all the terrible people in the show to get what they have coming to them but it just never happens. It just keeps getting more and more depressing and hopeless! Having said all that it's still an incredible show that is so well acted and written that it is always nominated for all the major awards.
28 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant acting
brennaoles7 March 2021
Brilliantly written and amazing acting. TV shows like this show a dystopian view of society which seems unrealistic, like it could never happen to us. What is happening during covid times shows exactly how easy it is for a governent to become totalitarian, authoritarian and down right dangerous to our rights and freedoms. We should take a show like this to heart and never let it happen today. This show is scary and full of horrors.
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 3 is a disaster
kjello7821 July 2019
The producers of this show must think their viewers are idiots. Season three is not moving forward.. Just one close up after another. Red fabrics and pale backgrounds. It was beautiful in season one. Now I'm just fed up. And if you are looking for some deeper meaning or any hidden story between the lines, I think you can stop looking. There is none.
120 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good god, just end it already!
jsteger-14-6269821 June 2021
It was good, now the quality is being ruined by dragging it on and on. The story and "almost endings" have gotten so repetitive it is painful. Wrap this up. The first season was great. The second season was good but started to feel like, as we refer to it, the Finding Nemo effect ... you keep thinking things are over or going to start going well, and then BANG ... some stupid way to drag it out. It has definitely started to seem like it's just for the money, not the story. So PLEASE put the story out of our misery and end it. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO SEASON 5! Thanks.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.