The Handmaid's Tale (2017– )
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 21 items
Sex & Nudity
- Episode 1: a man (fully clothed) is seen thrusting in a woman (also fully clothed) while another woman holds her down. (No nudity)
- A woman is standing at a window we see her behind, although it is very dark and barely visible. Few minutes later woman get dressed and her breasts are clearly visible for a short moment.
- A man is about to have sex with a woman but it is implied that he cannot get erected and keeps trying (no actual nudity). He then leaves the room and the other woman walks behinds him. She starts kissing his penis (no genitals shown) she then wants to give him a blowjob in which he asks her to stop and not proceed.
- Season 1 Episode 5: A lengthy sex scene involving partial female nudity and partial male nudity. (No genitalia) This scene repeats at the beginning of Episode 6.
- The series deals heavily with rape and has sex scenes in almost every episode, however, nudity is contained to only a few episodes.
- Season 1 Episode 8: in second half of the episode there is lenghty night club scene, topless nude women are shown couple of times.
- The rape mentioned in here is how the fertile and young women were forced to be essentially sex slaves used for surrogacy/procreation, or in brothels. Most of the rapes are not violent.
Violence & Gore
- People can be seen hanging from buildings and trees. This is a recurring motif throughout the series.
- Violence is infrequent but very graphic and has a lot of blood spraying.
- Mild profanity. Occasional use of "fuck", "shit", etc, and it's derivatives.
- Strong and frequent. 'Fuck' used frequently and 'cunt' used occasionally.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Some main characters like Nick and Serena can be seen smoking in some scenes.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Some very intense scenes given the dark themes surrounding the show.
Sex & Nudity
- The series involves multiple sex scenes involving a woman lying down on a bed held by her mistress while a man thrusts into her. Such scenes involve no nudity as seen in the first 5 episodes. There are other scenes involving non-sexual clips.
- A woman wakes up to find out that her genitals have been removed (no actual nudity)
- There isn't a lot of sex, but there is a lot of rape. These rapes are always tame and never violent
- A woman has sex with her asleep husband. He wakes up and pleads her to stop, but she continues.
Violence & Gore
- Very graphic - a handmaid runs over a man with a car & blood splatter can be seen (Season 1).
- Offred forcibly removes the tag that has been bound to her ear with a set of pliars.
- A mans hand is surgically removed as punishment for sleeping with his handmaid. Very graphic
- A handmaids hand is handcuffed over a hot stove and burned as punishment - you don't actually see this, as the camera cuts to the other handmaids reactions but there are lots of screams from the other room, can be slightly disturbing