Spies in Disguise (2019) Poster

Surprised
iiiluminada25 December 2019
Ok so I'm very into animation and everything and history behind studios. I went into this movie with low expectations. Blue sky was always just kind of there. My family never went to see any of their movies in theaters. It's Christmas and we went with a cute kids movie because we were seeing it with grandparents. I was blown away. Yes it is kind of a predictable plot but it has a nice spin on it. I liked the emphasis on how violence isn't always the option, and how the movie delivered it in a non cheesy way. Tom Holland and Will Smith worked great together. I laughed a lot. Animation was colorful and fluid and I was surprised how much action was in this movie. I liked how it was an original idea and not just another sequel. Walked out happy, had a great time. Fun to see with family!
115 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just watched it with kids and we loved it
niessen-Frederic27 December 2019
Just out of cinema - my two kids and I laughed a lot. Scenario is not very complex but it is a kid movie don't forget 😉 I find it refreshing to have a action comedy as a cartoon
73 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ACTION AND HUMOR: ONE OF THE BEST SIGNED BLUE SKY STUDIOS
RinoBortone9123 March 2020
One of the best films signed Blue Sky Studios. Direction not exactly impeccable, but with a lot of interesting ideas, especially in the "noisy" scenes where you usually get confused, instead here everything is crystal clear and all in detail. Excellent mixture of humor and action, also due to the charisma of the Smith-Holland couple. Bad for some important in-depth background not told, especially for the poor characterization of villain, which is merely reduced to the redundant sector of pain-revenge, but nothing not passable. A beautiful small pearl in animated films.
30 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite a nice surprise...
paul_haakonsen4 March 2020
I have to admit that I wasn't really expecting much from the 2019 animated movie "Spies In Disguise", but I got to sit down and watch it with the family nonetheless.

And now having seen it, I must say that "Spies In Disguise" was quite a nice surprise of a movie. It was as enjoyable and entertaining as it was nicely made and nicely animated. It had a good story and even better characters. And the story had enough action and comedy to keep me entertained through the entire course of the movie.

As an animated movie, having a proper voice cast ensemble is a make or break, and they definitely had a good cast for this movie, and that must certainly added to the overall enjoyment of the story.

Now, the art style was a bit odd for me, given the elongated heads and very long legs, but you quickly come to accept it and take it for as is.

I mentioned the movie had good characters, but it was the animated birds that fully and wholeheartedly stole the spotlight. The bird sidekicks were so funny that you can watch the movie for them alone.

If you enjoy animated movies, then you definitely should take the time to sit down and watch "Spies In Disguise". I am rating it a solid six out of ten stars. It offers something for young and adults alike.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty fun and entertaining
Gordon-1128 February 2020
This story is pretty fun and entertaining! The visuals are colourful, the story is light and the jokes are funny. It gives you a smile on your face, both adults and children alike.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Cute.
subxerogravity27 December 2019
Even the voice of the Fresh Prince is charming enough to make a good movie great. Will is the man as a man turned into a bird. Tom Holland was pretty amazing too. For those of you who love his run as Spider-Man, there is enough of that inside this character to have you loving it. Also shout out to Ben Mendelssohn as the villain robot hand. Perfect for a 007 inspired feature. Also, very cool hearing DJ Khalid's voice coming out of a character called sound. Then the most important part, the animation itself which was quite amazing. They did some thangs that really captured my eye and fully helped pushed a great story. Overall, It's fantastic.
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great for the whole family
lysaghtgary9 January 2020
A fun story and funny characters make this film one that the whole family can enjoy. Be prepared to learn pigeon facts!
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected!
ccbrookseight30 April 2020
At first I thought this looked like another low budget kids movie, but I was pleasantly surprised! The plot and characters were well developed and the lessons of being kind were nicely layed throughout. We have watched this more than Moana and that's a big deal! (But now my kids want a pet pigeon lol)
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it all
ntompul26 January 2020
Just watched this with my sister, the storyline is great but you can guess what will happen next, animation and other aspect is really good and worth your time to watch.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When you take kids and 85% of the movie they're laughing you know it's on!!!
pegadodacruz26 December 2019
I don't usually go watch animated movies - very rarely, but in light of the lack of new releases (at least interesting enough for me...) I decided to tag a long with the kids and watch this one... The first surprise was to see how busy the room was - on Christmas day - that was really a surprise, secondly although a very simple story, the fun is there and I kept on listening to the little ones sending some nice laughters and grown ups as well. Is definitely one with a message that spams generations but, will resonate a lot with the kids of this generation. Is fun, has a message, it's action packed and you know what, with a little more investment this one has the potential to have a part 2...
34 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful Film!
crystalrosexoxo7 May 2020
I saw this movie in the cinemas and the rest of that day I just couldn't stop thinking about it! The characters are nice and I found there was not one bad character well of course there was a villain but he had a reason to be bad! It has a happy ending and all goes well I highly recommend you watch this movie!

I also do like pigeons :)
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny!!
thejourney9412 January 2020
Don't understand why this movie have a low rating. I'm 25 and I loved it! It was funny, great jokes, full of meaning, and the voice actors fit perfectly! I'm gonna watch it again😍
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it!
theprogs17 April 2020
I was skeptical about this show at first, but it exceeded all my expectations indeed. I rarely laugh on any kind of show (old man like me in his mid 30's has watched hundreds of movies in his life, so I no longer enjoy any movie), but however, I died laughing when watching Spies in Disguise! ideas were brilliant and enjoyable, the graphics and animation also were so amazing. and I don't know why it was rated below 7!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disguised As Kiddy Spy Film, But These Agents Are Action Packed
rgkarim28 December 2019
LIKES:

Smooth Animation Style A More Unique Concept Funny Fun Good Pace Heartfelt Moments Music Creativity With Gadgets Action At The End

DISLIKES:

A Bit Over silly At Times Villain Needing A Little More Tweak Some underutilized characters The Commercial Syndrome

The VERDICT:

Spies in Disguise had a lot of delays and to be honest, the movie does not shatter too many things when it comes to originality or that unique energy Disney does. This does not mean the film is bad though, and in fact it's quite enjoyable. Animation wise it's clean, bringing a design that matches the fun nature of the film, with comedy and adventure around every bin. And though much of the movie is a blur, the film succeeds to expand to other audience members and get some character development going, that fits in theme with the creative approach to the spy thriller. It's true the balance to silliness does veer off at times, and the villain needs some of that time to really get the full effect, but for the most part the movie's biggest limitation is not having that Disney spark and giving too much away in the trailers. Still, this film feels like a good theater run thanks to the fun adventure and special effects, especially if you have a little ones or a group to go with. If not, then please check this out and enjoy the fun ride.

My scores are:

Animation/Action/Adventure: 7.5 Movie Overall: 7.0
17 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Fun
haidabom24 May 2020
I am a HUGE animation fan, and I have to say this surpassed my expectations by a mile.

Funny is my favourite. That's why unlike most I didn't LOVE "How to train a Dragon". I liked it a lot and it was funny but it wasn't "Hotel Transylvania" funny.

Spies was HILARIOUS!!! I really laughed out loud many times.

The animation is beautiful and it's the only medium I'm willing to see Will Smith in.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect movie for all generations
nilofarrehaan26 December 2019
You will love it ! Science, friendship , jokes, stunts , good graphic and creativity makes it to be the best movie to watch !
38 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We loved this movie!
Kids_Movie_Institute13 February 2020
We loved Spies in Disguise because it's cool and funny at the same time. It follows the adventures of Lance Sterling, the world's greatest secret agent. He's on a quest to stop Robot Hand, the world's most evil villain, when he bumps into Walter, a geek who loves to make weird and wacky inventions. Everyone in the spy industry thinks that Walter is strange, and because of that, none of his inventions have actually been put into use. When he concocts a special potion that transforms Lance into a pigeon, the spy meets impossible problems that he has to solve. Along with Walter, of course. We love the idea of transforming a super-spy into a not-so-super pigeon. It also has very funny scenes. It has everything you are looking for - especially if you're looking for a spy with a sense of humour! Spike says: "The graphics are amazing, the attention to detail is extraordinary, and I would recommend it for all ages." We really liked the scene where Lance and Walter jetted away on their luxurious ship. We would have loved to ride on that in real life and be as cool as them. During the movie, we also enjoyed how the relationship between Lance and Walter gradually developed, and everyone at the KMI wishes to see a sequel on screen soon!
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Film, Ridiculous Message
calebdrums28 December 2019
There is evil in our world. That's a basic, yet sad, fact of life. This movie attempts to circumvent that truth by claiming that, "there are no good or bad guys, only people." That, in itself, makes this movie a bit more derisive than it should be. Oh, yes, Will Smith is fantastic as Lance Sterling, and Tom Holland portrays the awkward nerd Walter in a terrific manner. It reminded me a whole lot of his role as Spider-Man in Far From Home.

There are a lot of hilarious moments in this film. For instance, the entire scene in Mexico where Lance, as a pigeon, meets up with other pigeons who then attempt to initiate him into their group is a complete and utter riot. It's uproarious, to say the least. I also enjoyed how they did not create voices for the other birds, but rather, created characters that could be portrayed with subtle movements and simple cooing. You can tell that one of them is insane, one is dumber than a box of rocks, and the third is supposed to be some kind of attractive female pigeon.

The movie also touches on a lot of spying tropes and turns them inside out in order to create an atmosphere where a pigeon could engage in espionage. It also takes the time to focus on the bird's weak points and how that would be a hindrance to the task at hand. For instance, when Lance tries to take down a Japanese arms dealer, he fails miserably because his wings aren't as strong as his arms and hands used to be. It's an intensely clever premise, and the movie delivers a lot of action among the comedy.

The problem, again, is the message, which is horrendously stupid. The idea that just speaking with an internationally known thief and battling him with cute images of puppy dogs and kitty cats is asinine on the greatest of levels. While I appreciate the movie's efforts to advocate for humans to tone down the violence and be nicer to each other, there are times when you have to, as the movie itself puts it, "fight fire with fire."

So, overall, this was a very well written, well animated feature. Blue Sky never scrimps on animation, and it definitely shows here. The overarching problem with the movie is its ridiculous message that there are no evil people in the world, just misunderstood individuals.
22 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing Concept But,
zhenwenho2 January 2020
An intriguing concept but it's just enough to pass the time at the cinema.

The movie delivers in regards of soundtrack, voice cast and in some regards, certain animation sequences. The humour within this movie takes affect when it starts pokes fun at modern day culture and manages to pull it off swiftly. By the looks of it, the movie aims to target the likes of children and young teens and probably would give the adults just an enjoyable movie. The movie also attempts to make certain edgy jokes to appeal to an older audience but other than that, it's a movie mainly made for well children and teenagers. The main message of the movie which is anti-war is also a heartwarming one which deserves some praise.

However, besides all the initial glamour thrown at you within the first 10 minutes you would soon be immersed enough to look past it's initial facade. The movie suffers when it comes to the plot which is something we have seen over a hundred times in other movies and of course a villain that isn't just bland but one without any real motivation other than an event that has occurred in the past which doesn't really hit you as the villain is indeed a boring one.

As a whole, I found myself enjoying the movie but with the given voice cast, the movie could've done a lot more. But then again, I'm not really the target audience of the movie so maybe you will enjoy the movie more than I do.
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wow
yulparty14 December 2019
Watching the trailers and clips, it seemed it was going to be an "ok" movie... I was wrong

watch it. please do it. Now. Please. It's good. Please. If you got the time and money watch it.

thank you. Watch. It. It watch. Yes. Thanks. It's goood. Gooood. Yaaa.
42 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptionally funny!!!
AannaWiltonK10 April 2020
I want a second movie right now! Or even a third one :) This movie has all a good animation need! Unique drawing, good jokes, good animators, good writers, and they dare to give the characters different personalities and they stick to their personality! I also love the positive atmosphere, and the reasoning behind the acts. It's a movie you have to see and listen. The animators did the best job I've seen these days, and the jokes are really genuen and good! :)
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent family film
luckypunk9310 January 2020
In general, Will Smith is a well-known highly respected actor with an accomplished set of skills, however some of his roles are quite predictable. In Spies In Disguise, he makes the entire cast around him better. That said, the entire cast itself is exceptional, especially considering this is a cast more known for entertaining in general, rather than acting specifically. The movie is real, honest, and I personally connected with it much more than I expected, because I usually do not enjoy animated films. The jokes were varied and some landed better than others, but overall an entertaining experience.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quick-Witted, Dizzying Cinematic Family Holiday Fun!
lauriekyhl26 December 2019
It's a kid's movie, yet with nonstop impressive cinematic effects and hilarious one-liners that promise to entertain kids and adults alike! Will Smith is so perfectly cast here in the role of the suave, savvy, quick-witted special agent with all the James Bond-esque gadgets. . . a guy who pride himself on "flying solo" until he realizes an up-and-coming "gadget developer," Walter, may just have a different approach to combating evil that ultimately comes across as compelling and endearing v. sanctimonious or "preachy".

My 9YO son typically "zones out" in movies, but was all in on this one til the very end. . . to the point he was asking me when it will come out on Netflix. Lots of laughs and good family fun! :)
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AMAZING Work BY SPIES
imarsalan-9653130 April 2020
Lots of creativity in movie. If u want to boost creativity watch this.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is amazing.
bellabwatchin5 April 2020
This movie, everyone should see. It has it all. It's action-packed, funny and, most of all, it's loving.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.