The Institute (2017) Poster

(2017)

A Complete Mess
nebk6 March 2017
The Institute is sadly a mess of a movie and might leave the viewer seeking professional help to deal with the trauma of watching it. OK, so its not that bad but it could and should have been much better. It deals with the story of a young girl called Isabel checking herself into the Rosewood institute to deal with the grief of loosing both of her parents. The institute at first appears like a high end spa for very wealthy women but it soon becomes apparent that there are sinister characters and forces abusing some of the women who are patients at the hospital.

There are some quite well known names in the film like James Franco,Tim Blake Nelson, Eric Roberts, Lori Singer, Josh Duhamel and Pamela Anderson but for the most part these are cameos and the rest of the cast is relatively unknown. The dialogue is at times flat and at other times it is cringe-worthy (mentioning the healing process over and over) and the story loses momentum very quickly. The story also seems mashed up as if different movies have been mixed up. Is it a psychological thriller or a gory horror. There is pseudo philosophical discussion and there is nudity, whipping and secret orders which control everything. As if the film makers wanted to include as much as possible and yet ended up watering everything down.

Some of the other issues are for example that the main character exhibits no real grief even though she admitted herself to the hospital for this and other "latent maladies" such as curiosity and flights of fancy. The doctor treating her says there is nothing wrong with her and then proceeds to treat her and feed her tonics and medication together with therapy and brain washing. There are a few twists as is to be expected but in the end the movie still appears nonsensical. The fact that this film is supposedly based on real events makes it even worse as the film makers didn't even respect what the real people went through. Overall a complete mess.
36 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sufficiently creepy, but very odd
Jeff2sayshi20 July 2017
The Institute is VERY loosely based on a true story. The true story of the Rosewood Center is strange enough on its own. A mental health institution whose patients were taken by the rich as slaves. The movie takes the idea of being used by the rich, but keeps it within the walls of the building itself.

Isabel (Allie Gallerani) checks into Rosewood on her doctor's orders for grief and anxiety. When meeting Dr. Cairn (James Franco) the doctor takes her under his wing and makes her his star patient. He works on breaking her entirely to the point where she doesn't know who she is, and can become someone else as part of a performance for the rich.

It's all illogical, but if you can just go along with it, the performances allow for the creepiness to come through. It definitely won't be for everyone, and some may hate it, but there is more to it than originally thought.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Patience is rewarded...
Matthew Jacob De Beer6 March 2017
The Victorians were renowned for institutionalizing their women for the slightest of reasons. The Victorian male's idea of equality was somewhat lopsided, to say the least. This film starts off as many in this genre, with a young woman going into an institute because of "nerves". Once there, she is subjected to a rather unorthodox treatment, the result of which culminates in far far darker and mysterious consequences.

The acting is good. The plot clever (if a little melodramatic). The characters believable. The film is more creepy than horrific, so no gore here. What it lacks in blood and guts, it makes up for in atmosphere.

I would recommend you NOT watch the trailer, as it does spoil the fun. The idea of the film is to lead you into the horror without you suspecting it. If you want a little something different to the usual stuff being churned out and called "Horror" these days, give this film a viewing. It is really quite enjoyable.
36 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't understand why this movie has such a bad rating
Slightly_Handy25 June 2017
If I had to guess, it is probably because James Franco fans watched it because he was in it, without knowing what to expect, and were unpleasantly surprised. It wasn't a terrible movie. It had been a while since I've watched it but the only reason I'm even on the IMDb page is because I was thinking about downloading it again to watch it with my wife (who doesn't like scary movies, but does like movies about crazy people, go figure) and she wanted to read some reviews. After reading the reviews, and then us downloading it and watching the movie anyway, I decided that I had to come back to let people know, I enjoyed it the second time, and my wife loved the movie (she wanted me to give it a 9) so I guess, make up your own mind. All I know is, the 4.0 rating doesn't do it justice!
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is this a joke?
luwalther30 May 2017
Is this movie for real? Couldn't bear to watch it until the end, that's how boring it is. But what really made me sit down and write this review was not its tedious pace, unoriginal storyline, unconvincing acting or hideous lighting, but the feeling that, at any minute, one of the actors (specially James Franco) might look right into the camera and say something like "are you still watching this?! You've been pranked!". Well, at least that would have been original and more in line with what I would expect from Franco, although I would feel like an idiot. But no. I don't think there must have been any reveal of the sort after I stopped watching. There is no explanation or excuse for how bad this movie is. I would feel even more like an idiot if I went on watching it any further.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible movie
fenix-6350630 March 2017
this movie must be cataloged as horror movie...no because is horror movie or contain horror scenes is because as the public said is a horrific terrible movie, a cheap low budget movie, i think James Franco did this home movie in some house in central Virginia, after he did pineapple express he was so high doing this terrible movie so clean, no FX, no action, no drama nothing, about the actors, James just put a dollar mustache and start to act as doctor, the other actors maybe don't have any job available act just for 20 box, for sure they are James Franco neighbors, but the budget is millions dollars??? common just the rent of the hotel for one night and that is it, just put some effort at least in the dialogue, so terrible. I think James Franco must be relax and wait for another perform in some future spider man movie. About the other reviews 5 * all of them fake!
16 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do NOT watch this terrible movie!
roseliya31 March 2017
Seriously, do not waste your time watching this trash. It only has gore & horror in it. There is no redemption at the end, there is no healing - only some twist in the plot. Do you think this woman came out betterafter everything she went through? NO! YOU WILL NEED THERAPY AFTER WATCHING THIS FILM!
12 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just bloody awful
paulmalone8127 May 2017
This piece of rubbish is absolutely awful from start to finish. I hesitate to even call it a movie. The acting is atrocious,Franco is as bad behind the camera as he is in front of it,and once again Roberts proves he will do anything for a dollar. Seriously people do yourselves a favor and avoid this rubbish at all costs, I hope I have saved some of you from the misery of this tedious piece of crap.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nevermore
Michael Ledo24 July 2017
In 1893 Baltimore, Isabel Porter (Allie Gallerani) has been out of sorts since the passing of her parents. Eric Roberts convinces her and her brother that she could get the finest care at Baltimore's upscale Rosewood Institute where she could get some R&R. The doctors have brain washing practices facilitated by a drug whose content we discover at 50 minutes into the film. At this point the movie descends into an improbable Poe feature complete with a pendulum. Serious,"based on true stories" and they have a freaking pendulum from the Inquisition.

The acting was mediocre for a horrible script that lacked depth. The characters were a bit shallow, and did women shave their hooch in the 19th century? Just asking. No reason. (Psst. Thank you Allie.) There was a Rosewood Institute. It was for feeble minded children ages 7-17 some with autism which hadn't been "discovered" as yet. The girls were adopted by the rich and used as slaves, some as sex slaves. It was not an upscale center for adults. The rites and practices that went on there, including the freaking pendulum was not exactly historical. In fact the film would have been better served in a non-historical setting. I mean a zombie-vampire apocalypse would not have made the film any less historical. James Franco-why? The film includes a lot of good actors plus Eric Roberts and Pamela Anderson.

No swearing. 3 stars for the nudity (Allie Gallerani, Zoe Bleu, +others)
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie
thebaritone554 March 2017
This was by far one of the best movies I have seen this year. I do not know why the rating is so bad. This movie is by far better than some of the movies that have received Oscars including Moonlight. Some of the actors although not well known have been excellent. The picture quality is good but most of all the plot is brilliant.
33 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 Directors and 2 Writers and it was still awful
mjsreg5 June 2017
I am struggling to find the words to describe this movie. I have given it two stars because I didn't fall asleep watching it, so it must have had something to keep me awake - the lovely Allie Gallerani and other ladies in a state of undress - which was welcome eye candy.

Anyway, with two directors and two writes one could expect a reasonable film to come out of the other end. At least something which cut together in a coherent and reasonably interesting way.

To begin with, the visuals are like something from a very bad daytime movie on an obscure cable channel - more akin to 'Murder She Wrote' than a feature film with a reasonable budget. Now unless this is the market the directors were aiming for I can not understand why they did it - it belongs in the 1980s. Someone could have just smeared Vaseline on a filter and stuck it on a VHS camera to get the same effect.

Either the directing or editing has gone awry, particularly at the start of the film. In the beginning there are shots of one person while another person is speaking - totally illogical and just confuses the viewer. The actors seem to 'stall' at the end of each scene - as if it has been cut just a bit too late.

I am sure many of the actors can act, but this really didn't come through for many of the characters at the beginning of the film, although this did improve somewhat later on.

And this is the weird thing. Towards the end the film becomes quite watchable (after we are treated to the aforementioned eye candy) - so why is the beginning SO bad?

Anyway, if you can watch it for free and have nothing better to watch or do then go ahead - it will be an experience. Otherwise I really wouldn't bother.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bravo James Franco, you paid your own money to prove just how bad an actor you really are
reviews195829 April 2017
Before I go too far, pay attention to who one of the producers is and who also directs AND is a lead actor in this horrendous mess - none other than James Franco. I've always found any "performance" (remember that word) Franco has ever been in to be laughable but the last laugh is on him this time. HE, by being one of the producers, shelled out his own money to demonstrate the total lack of any noteworthy ability he may possess.

Lori Singer...Lori, Lori, Lori - please tell us that Franco didn't make you do anything shameful in order to get your weak spot in this monstrosity. Here's a hint - since you've done nothing noteworthy since Footloose either totally give up the acting gig (you're awful and you no longer have your youth to hide your inability behind) or if you insist on play acting find some Lifetime tripe to entertain yourself with and those who care nothing about good acting or a good story line.

Pamela Anderson is in this for less then 1 min and believe it or not she is covered head to toe - in clothes. However she let them put a gargantuan blonde wig on her for goodness knows why. It had nothing to do with anything. Seriously, nothing to do with anything. I guess James Franco called in a favor. I just shake my head why she even showed her face in this mess other then to pay back a favor and Franco could contractually use her name on the movie headliner and image.

Now as for Joshua Duhamel, I totally get why you took the gig. You didn't have to act. Just show up for your 5 mins. of filming and you're able to show the old lady, who makes the real money in your relationship, that you're "working". Your hint - stick to Transformers. It's as good as it's gonna get for you.

Eric Roberts. Nuff' said.

Yes, I gave it a one star, however I insist you watch this mess but only for free (which I did) when it shows up on Netflix or Amazon in a few weeks. It honest to God is worth the viewing just to see how bad a mess James Franco would actually put his own money on.

Thanks James...you re-affirmed what I already knew about your lack of talent. However there are those out there that like to look at bad wrecks on the side of the highway so hey, don't say I didn't warn anyone how ugly a total mess this is.

BTW, the few glowing reviews are the standard ones we're all getting used to seeing on IMDb that are written by persons involved with or related to in the project. Nice try but the consumer has become wise with our own dollars and can read past the 2 - 10 shellacked fake reviews. Back to the drawing board to try and find another tactic.

I officially nominate this for an award - a 2017 Razzie that is.
9 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
fred-10723 August 2017
This could have been a great 45 minute documentary about the Rosewood Institution and its perverse treatment of patients and its ulterior motive. Instead what we got was a badly written, badly directed film with cheap sets and an onslaught of boring drama. Don't waste your time on this stinker.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful movie
Iulia9 March 2017
I was blown away by this movie. I found it haunting in portraying the martyrdom of the feminine role, be it family or society as a whole. Pay attention to the three scenes in the stained glass panels at the end, when mature Isabel is standing behind the office. I think these are key to the symbolism of the story. Also reading the Hawthorne stories helps. I also enjoyed the acting and cinematography.
12 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie, good plot
Claire8 April 2017
I watched this movie because I like the stories of suspense. :-) I liked. The film is original, unusual. A bit too violent for my taste, I prefer the classic stories or ghost. I much liked the location and atmosphere of the film. Before seeing the film, the poster I thought it was a ghost story (the first day I had looked ANNABELLE and read the book LA BAMBINAIA - both beautiful), but it was a pleasant surprise. Also good costumes and the reconstruction era. Not a masterpiece, but an excellent movie, better than most. Also good acting.
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash
nammage4 May 2018
"Based on true events" is cliché to the point of being metaphorically criminal to use. The Rosewood Institute in Maryland, during the time period this film is placed, was filled with low IQ'd children and children with other mental disabilities. It was not filled with wealthy women with mental disabilities. So, whatever truth there is in this film, it is not about this particular hospital no matter what the opening credits show with actual newspaper clippings etc.,

I would have loved to have seen an actual film closer to what actually may have happened at such "hospitals", with the varying experimentations and the like, and some films in the past have attempted the feat but they either made it too sadistic or catered to a specific genre (such as Horror and/or Thriller) to where it just became nonsensical. Or, to the very least, perhaps even a film based on an institute where society basically throws people away and dumps them in a very poor environment; and in Maryland (and other places in the US), they did it to children. That would have been a film to watch. A film to disgust and anger people.

I have no clue what this film is about. I've actually enjoyed some of the non-mainstream films that James Franco has put out these past few years but as I keep watching these 'experimental' films of his, I keep thinking that he just likes to hear himself talk. I am one of those who actually enjoyed his film "The Sound and the Fury". It wasn't great but it was good, in my opinion. This film: I have no idea the point of this film. Franco seems to be all about quantity these days. He reminds me of the early days of film where those in the silent era pushed out one film after another as if throwing money into a crowd. Of course, most those films were short and without substance. He's doing the same, it seems. I mean he's directed four films (in which he also stars in) this year alone. Contemporarily, he's like a B-film production company; the difference is: that's their actual living. So, what's Franco's point with these 'candy' films?

Let's forget the poor technical faults of "The Institute" (lighting, decorum, sets etc.,) or the Quasimodo character, or the rip of the film "The Wicker Man" from 1973; and the excessive and unnecessary amount of nudity of almost every single female actress in this film (who happen to be clean shaven in 1890). Let's forget the poorly delivered lines, the writing, and the direction. Let's even forget about the accents going in and out etc., let's forget all of that. I just have one simple question: What the f--- is this film supposed to be about? Supposedly: woman enters asylum after tragedy, becomes brainwashed but remembers and seeks revenge and a way out! Which only happens in the last ten minutes of the film. See, it starts in 1893 when the actual asylum had just children in it (boys and girls, separated) but ends with it stating it happened in the 1930s. Really? Age restriction was removed in 1950. I'm not saying bad things didn't happen at Rosewood, bad unethical things did happen (and not just to the girls, but mainly the girls) but the story itself goes quite deeper than this film seems to portray it; this film is just trash.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful...Painful
Romila Sangwan3 August 2017
Please watch it only if you want go mad. As roselia said you will seriously need to see your shrink for a month.

In 19th century Baltimore, a girl stricken with grief from her parents'

untimely death voluntarily checks herself into the Rosewood Institute,

and is subjected to bizarre and increasingly violent pseudo-scientific

experiments in personality modification, brainwashing and mind control;

she must escape the clutches of the Rosewood and exact her revenge.

Can't write more.

Complete garbage. STAY AWAY.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was so bad..
adonis98-743-18650314 August 2018
In 19th century Baltimore, a girl stricken with grief from her parents' untimely death voluntarily checks herself into the Rosewood Institute, and is subjected to bizarre and increasingly violent pseudo-scientific experiments in personality modification, brainwashing and mind control; she must escape the clutches of the Rosewood and exact her revenge. The Institute is weird, stupid and the acting was all over the place but then again it was directed and also stars by James Franco so i'm not that suprised to be perfectly honest. Just skip it and watch whatever else.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cults, Mind Control, a Marty Feldmanesque attendant, Ritual Sacrifice.
Páiric O'Corráin15 May 2018
The Institute: A Gothic Horror film set in 19th Century Maryland. A young woman (Allie Gallerani) enters the Rosewood Institute, suffering from stress/depression following her parent's deaths. What appears at first to be a gentle regime soon turns strange and she is subject to an increasingly bizarre psychiatric regime by Dr Cairn (James Franco). There is also a sinister surgeon who carries out experimental neurosurgery.

Cults, Mind Control, a Marty Feldmanesque attendant, Ritual Sacrifice,The Institute brings both Get Out and A Cure For Wellness to mind. 7/10.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complete Dud
mikey99920 June 2018
The acting was inept, especially Franco. The writing was pathetic. The dialog was an affront to the ears. The plot was unbelievable from start to finish. The costumes were incoherent. The sets were dull. The photography was uninspired. The gore was sillier than the stuff you'd find at a child's Halloween party. The gratuitous nudity was... I don't know how you fail at gratuitous nudity, but this film found a way.

Unlike Showgirls, Eyes Wide Shut, or The Phantom Menace, this movie does NOT have cult classic written anywhere on it.
A MUST WATCH, NOT!
Lacho_716 March 2018
A pittyful effort of look smart and surprising, comes out as a leading disorientation and regret. I genuinely believe, Franco did this movie just to be more around half naked women. It may also be a result of beting between two buddies. No story, no continuity, no acting, no screenplay, no music and no nothing. Costumes are nice though...
A puzzling plot
Gordon-1118 September 2017
This film tells the story of a young woman who is grief stricken by life events. She is sent to a psychiatric institution for treatment. However, sinister things go on in the treatment centre, and she must find a way to escape the horrifying control that is exerted upon her.

"The Institute" has quite a bizarre plot. I actually only partially understand it. So James Franco plays the doctor who exerts mind control and abuses the patients. Then the scenes are completely lost to me. I can't tell whether those are actually a part of the treatment or they are just pure evilness of the cult. I have so many questions as to what is happening in the film, for example I just don't understand why Isabelle got called Mary towards the end of the film. I find the plot puzzling and I don't understand it.
Muddy Looking Movie About Upper Class Decadence & Sexual Criminal Deviants
LeonLouisRicci23 August 2017
Gloomy Cinematography done by Soft Filters and Sepia Tone Separation from the Natural to give it a 19th Century Feel and t's all done to No Avail because this Story about a Real-Life "Retreat/Convalescent" Institute is Low on Budget and Facts.

Not a Complete Failure, but the Muddle is Not Only in the Look but with the Intrigue so Shallow as to be Non Existent. There is quite a Lot of Gore and some Torture both Mental and Physical.

The Side Story of the Brother's Investigation is Unfortunately Underused and aside from the Opening Credit Sequence is the Best Part of this Dismal Melodrama.

Individual Scenes Stand Out among the Complete Film but there is No There here and it is Surprisingly Flat for such a Horrific Situation. The Movie seems Half-Hearted and Exploitative and in the End is a Wasted Effort if there was any Effort at all from the Producers.

Note...James Franco...Can you say over exposure? Apparently not.