Thieves of the Wood (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

I sometimes dont think I am watching the same good movie as others have
kenfromcanada4 January 2020
I first must say I watched this in the original language and subtitled. That precludes me from catching a lot of the subtext that only understanding the spoke dialect gives one. That aside: The production levels on this series is high. The weapons master - got it RIGHT. The costumes, and, I am no expert, seem to be RIGHT. Everyone who isn't the higher ups, are appropriately dirtier as you go down the social scale, but it seems to be in place. The set dressers, got it RIGHT. So, why bad reviews? Maybe because it wasn't action by the second, but, characters are developed, plot lines merge and separate. I enjoy these foreign productions,I am watching it on Netflix, who I am told have production facilities world wide and bring content we would not usually see. Worth while entertainment.
79 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very stylish, well acted series about the Robin Hood of the low countries
slash83_mus2 January 2020
Jan de Lichte was a war veteran who turned bandit in mid-18th century Flanders (not 17th century like other reviewers point out). His story has been published several times before and this series marks the first modern and dedicated screenadaptation.

Acting is surprisingly solid and consistent. The production values are great. There are lots of details to make everything believable and the set pieces are truly beautiful at times,even though the forest scenes lack atmosphere, but that's inherent to the fact they are.. Well, forests. And de Lichte, like Robin Hood, operated mainly from the woods.

The series does a good job portraying 18th century society, during the last decades we came to know as the ancien regime. De Lichte's antagonist is a baljuw (bailiff) who battles against both the bandits and the moral decay in, and corruption amongst, the powers in charge of the area: the lower nobility, the mayor of a small town and the clergy.

Although the story seems to suffer from slowdowns in its pace and the cinematography is too bland and grey for my taste, this is truly one of the best series to come from the low countries in quite some time.

Defenitely worth the watch!
55 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good story with great actors.
eefwijnhoven2 January 2020
I really liked the storyline and the character development. It makes you question if it really was like that in 17th century Belgium.
29 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aint that bad
dre5042 January 2020
And definitely not worth a 1 that the revieuwer below gave it. Absurd rating. Normally i would give you the Show a 6 or 7, but it doesnt deserve lower then that (in my opinion)

Anyways, i watched this with original dutch audio. And its a ok watch, better the average dutch/belgium productions i would say. Its interesting to see a show in that time.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
De bende van Jan de Lichte
oversmaak22 January 2020
A little cynical I started watching the Flemish series 'De bende van Jan de Lichte' after the famous book by Louis Paul Boon, because book adaptations often disappoint. Especially with favorite books. Already at the start I was pleasantly surprised and my attention caught. The medieval atmosphere is impressive and realistic and the acting is great. Although the storyline sometimes deviates, the book is really honored in my mind. It is a dark 'rascal novel' as the book was intended. A real pleasure to immerse yourself for hours in the Middle Ages and not be dissapointed. A very low rating is not to be taken serious.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best flamish serie I ve seen
coen-234-200852 January 2020
Overall a good serie. Acting is quite good, like the vibes this serie brings.
27 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
imanihenry4 January 2020
If you are looking for a good political uprising film that is well written and acted , I highly recommend The Flemish Bandits/ Thieves in the Woods . Warning expect gender & class based violence Wish there was a Season 2
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
''Os Saqueadores'' a.K.a ''Thieves Of The Wood'' or ''The Flemish Bandits''
yusufpiskin6 January 2020
Set in the heart of 18th Century Flanders, Thieves of the Wood is a pretty good period drama, even if it does fall a little too far into melodramatic waters toward the end of the series. For the most part though, the show does well to juggle its central cast of characters, with Jan the most likable out the bunch. With some gritty visuals and some decent production design, this Flemish drama is certainly enough to warrant a watch, even if it's unlikely to ignite the period drama scene.

Admittedly, I don't know an awful lot about this period of history, which is party why the drama is so appealing. At the heart of it though lies returning soldier Jan, who discovers that corruption is rife in his hometown, thanks in part to the sick and poor exiled to the forests. With a clear class divide this early acting as fuel for the conflicts ahead, on the other side of the fence is Baru, a new bailiff keen on instilling reform and changes. The third and final main storyline revolves around Heloise and together, this trio of characters essentially anchor the drama to the usual tropes you'd expect.

There are hints of a Robin Hood-esque plot at work here and throughout the series most of the drama revolves around a road being built which acts as the crux of conflict for both sides. As the series grows, this does change slightly to incorporate more romantic themes but there are a couple of nice twists late on that keep things interesting. I won't give too much away but suffice to say if you like character drama and soapy elements, Thieves of the Wood is a pretty good option.

Aesthetically at least, the show looks great. There's a stark contrast between the rich and poor here, deliberately showcased through extreme close ups of the mud and dirt, while wide, sweeping shots of the lavish interiors offers the reverse for the rich. It's a subtle trick but one that does work well to reinforce the themes that play out across the season.

In terms of costume and production design, Thieves of the Wood does well and there's a real effort to make this as authentic as possible. Early on there's a specific curse word used that I had to look up to make sure it was befitting for the time period but beyond that, the series does well to keep things consistent and believable.

With decent visuals and an unusual setting not often showcased, Thieves of the Wood doesn't really reinvent the wheel but does a pretty good job keeping things engaging nonetheless. If you're in the mood for a period drama, this is a pretty good offering and while I wasn't a massive fan of the romantic subplot, there's enough here to make for an unremarkable but pretty solid season of entertainment.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost excellent
molnarbelgium30 January 2020
I would have given 9, just some (not all of them) dialogues sound too modern, too present day for 1749. Otherwise many details, like set, costumes, weapons, uniforms, scenes are genuine. Even most actors are amazing. Thank you, Belgium. Ah, btw I fully recommend it in Flemish (that is Dutch), though English or French dubs are not bad either. As usual, Hungarian (my mother tongue) subtitles are not always accurate, that's a shame for Netflix (thanks God they didn't dubbed it). Well, I prefer any movie/tv show in the original language, still it's hardly acceptable that Hungarian subscribers, especially those without a good command of English must pay for low quality translations. To be fair: that happens to HBO productions as well.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best period mini series playing now on Netflix
trickstar_trippy5 January 2020
Asa fan of the old Flemish Masters, I couldn't miss Jan de Licht's exploits on Netflix. I binge watched it in two days, and I was hungry for more when it finished. It's a beautifully lensed period piece about bandits in Flandres, set in 18th century, duing the Austrian succession wars. The mini series opens en force, it has one of the best openings scenes, whose build up will remind many of the viewers of Tarantino. The casting is so spot on - many fresh faces for me, or maybe I'm not so well versed in European actors, but many of them with a pictural quality - hence many of the shots brought to mind paintings of sitters or Flemish portraits, you ve got to love those red-headed ladies, but also the men, great casting overall; but not only that, but the acting is very good, believable, which adds on to the already well fleshed out characters. Maybe the fact that the film is based on a novel helped, as many of the lines in the show are quote-worthy. It's a show about les nouveau riches, the new blood, about the bourgeoisie, about banditry and outlaws, but with relevance for today. It's a very contemporary show in tone - and aesthetics, although it pays homage to Pays Bas painting, it's very modern in terms of camera, those hand held's in the forrest, that I first saw in Black Death, are surprisingly fresh in a period piece about bandits and nobles. It can be read as a story from rags to riches, but with enough Belgian grit for the connaisseurs to enjoy. It's filthy and beautiful at the same time. The language is Flemish and it's beautiful, its mixture of Dutch and German and French, sounds so exotic to me. Watch it in original, with English or French subs.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad ending
antonella-452-41456724 January 2020
I would have given the maximum rating but the ending was pretty stupid.. pity, a very good series ruined at the last 10 minutes.. 😥🙂
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great series with good acting and authenticity
bpaksoy11 January 2020
This is a drama depicting well how life was in some parts of the Flamish land in 18th century for different parts of society and the relations between these parts. How women or relatively poor were treated in those times are appalling. It looks like a lot of effort was spent towards getting the living conditions accurately as well as the costumes and make-ups. The story is not that gripping but still makes you wonder what's next. I thought all actresses and actors had done a great job.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flemish sense of humor
barabeusz2 February 2020
Production on a decent level when it comes to actors costumes scenery. Plot overall good however seems stretched at some points especially beginning. When it comes to bandits themselves they seem to be the most boring Ive ever seen. I cannot recall a single joke from this series but maybe that's just the way flemish are, that I dont know :D
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mostly good
zippytango28 January 2020
Spoilers! With no knowledge of the novel the series followed, all I can say is that i thought it was very well done but for two points: the references to "America" were more like an unwanted advertisement than an element in the story, and the final execution of Jan was shown in an entirely tasteless, excessive manor even for such a violent film as this.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cartouche meets Braveheart
searchanddestroy-118 January 2020
Or even Robin Hood, but in a terrific darker way. This series is definitely not for legions of Super f... heroes shows and movies fans. No, folks. This is an awesome piece of work, splendidly written and directed too, with actors whom I did not know at all; including the one who seems to be a kind of Benoit Poelvoerde's ringer. Not for the squeamish, a rough, tough, gritty tale with no unnecessary violence either, but wich let you an awful taste in the mouth after viewing the whole ten episodes. I loved it. Do not expect a happy ending here.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A surprising delight
laurawoobie28 January 2020
Bare honesty here, I very, very rarely watch dubbed over or fully subtitled shows/movies. I genuinely try, but I just can't get into it and quickly lose interest. I did not know this was such a show before beginning it, but I gave it an honest chance once I realized it was. I binge watched this in two days! I loved every element of this show. I actually found it interesting to see the differences between what was subtitled and what was dubbed. Someone else gave less stars because they didn't match?? No, sweetie, they're different interpretations of the language and honestly improved the overall translation.

Production value was very high and allowed the viewer to immerse into its world. The storyline was well developed. You loved to hate the "villains", which is a great indicator of a job well done. There was good development of dynamics amongst each group. Baru gave me a surprising character arc. I thought the casting was great, everyone fit right in and did a fine job.

This show is more story than action, so please be mindful of that if you're looking for a full-blown action show. I personally enjoyed the balance and the ending scene made me cringe (which I thought to be a very good ending, although it was, of course, not the way I wanted it to go).

If this is your kind of genre, I think you will be quite pleased!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great show!
AviAv11 January 2020
I didnt expect much because this show got a low rating, but I was surprised! this show is really good, everything about it is good, the story, the characters, and I really wish there was a second season. Well done!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average
Placiddragon10 January 2020
The acting is overall quite solid. It seems to be a clear cut "Robin Hood'esque" tale, just with guns instead of bows. Most elements from "Robin Hood" is there, from "the damsel in distress" to "the evil priest" and "bad people in charge" in general, down to the actual "good guys in the woods". The story follows a very predictable path (this far), and i am hoping there is a twist in the latter half of the season.

I watched the first episode twice, first in its native language (which i dont understand), and then with English voice over. It didn't lose much, so i stuck with the voice over for the remaining episodes (done watching episode 5 as of writing this).

Perfectly serviceable show, but it didn't "jump out at me" in any aspect.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
vicu-676647 January 2020
Beautiful and tragic story. Great cast. The friendship between some of main characters is something really nice to watch.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but it could have been better
noveljunkie-8367925 March 2020
As a fan of period dramas, I quickly added this to my watch list. The actors are good, the production is high standard, and the story looks believable.

I didn't know it was based on a book, I learned it here. Even so, the plot could have been improved.

The first episodes drag a little, while parts of the plot became neglected. The development of the romance between Jan and Anne-Marie was a tad clouded in my opinion. We don't learn they will be a thing until the middle of the season.

As characters go, Baru came out not so clear. In the beginning, he seems to understand crime and the social motivators behind it, only to turn his back on the underprivileged later on. From a sensible, fair civil servant, he ends up just like the villains.

The suppression of women, the use of them as chattels, the pressures of religion and a patriarchal society are present but up to a point. The female characters are depicted as catty and non-cooperative with each other, a typical way male directors show women in their work. As a woman and a feminist, this bores me to distraction.

The plot, with an impoverished country, exploited poor people, and conflicted characters, had the potential to make it explode. The perfect formula for upheaval, to turn it all upside down. A revolution could have erupted and made things so much more exciting. Instead, everyone keeps the status-quo. The poor continue poor, the rich continue rich, and nobody learns anything from their experience. I suppose the pampered Dutch of the 21st century forgot how hard life could be in Europe in the 18th century.

The end was alright for me, but even that doesn't teach anything. We don't get the feeling that something (good or bad) came out of it.

All in all, entertaining, but not remarkable.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cast, costumes and locations
pauwelswim9 January 2020
I really enjoyed the series on Netflix and have been looking forward on seeing it as they have been shooting it already since 2016. I find the story line great showing an era of Belgium (back then the low lands) many people dont know about and when many highway men where active all around the country, the actors is a great mix between famous and less famous ones but all good ones.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good, unexpectedly good actually.
legobit-288547 January 2020
I think it has actually managed to catch alot of the feelings of being poor in old Europe in a way that people can understand, and giving it a second thought I think it reflects on how the poor is feeling in alot of countries.

If the poor would have won the war this is pretty much what the historybooks would be like. (true or not).

I didn't really liked the plot, to much robin hood, but in this case it was like the plot for old computergames, just an excuse for the story. The weapons was right, the Cloth was right, the living conditions was right, the house, the rapes etc. was right
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
18th century fiction
franssoit6 January 2020
First time I see a fiction in the 18th century Belgium. Some action and romance...
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
coen-8352119 January 2020
Loved the way this serie was, a bit slow sometimes but for those speaking french and dutch its a must see.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well made show
michaelgrattan1 April 2020
Have a drink feel tired watch the show, you know what to do. I have the patience of a squirrel and have been enjoying so far. Like the one review said earlier, the man at the start was dragged by a horse and then jumps up like he's seen the ice cream truck, other than that the rest is great acting and engaging story.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.