Literally, Right Before Aaron (2017) Poster

A pitiful and spiteful character isn't funny
Gordon-118 January 2019
This film tells the story of a man who can't get past the split with his ex girlfriend.

It looks like a romantic comedy, but it isn't. It is not fun to watch a man being sorry for himself all the time. He acts pitifully, which alienates viewers from him. I feel really sorry for his date, and even more sorry for the ex girlfriend due to the spiteful act.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The writing is not up to par
phd_travel27 October 2017
Ryan Eggold of Blacklist and 90210 wrote and directed this romantic dramedy. Unfortunately he could have done with some help. The story isn't good unless maybe it's autobiographical. A man goes to his ex girlfriends wedding to a seemingly better guy in San Francisco. Justin Long is quite watchable as usual. And his too hot for him girlfriend is played by Cobie Smulders. There are some jokes that would be okay if snappier but they tend to drag on too long until they lose their punch. The wedding itself is pretty painful and finally the ending - what's the meaning?

One crucial thing they didn't show is how the relationship ended a year and a half ago.

The story could have been tightened and the ending could have been more clever.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bittersweet romcom; the cast makes it very special
inkblot113 September 2019
Adam (Justin Long) has just learned that his former girlfriend of eight years, Allison (Cobie Smulders) is getting married very soon in San Fran. Strangely, she invites Adam to the wedding, maybe to make it clear that she has moved on and there are no hard feelings. Adam is stunned. In an hilarious next scene, Adam proposes to and then breaks up with his current girlfriend. She stomps away in a huff. Realizing that he may still be in love with Allison, Adam decides to go to the ceremony. Best friend (John Cho) gives advice. Once in the city by the bay, where his own mother still resides, Adam subtly tries to meet Allison when she is not with her fiance, such as jogging by her place of work when she is about to be finished for the day. Then, too, Adam meets his replacement, good guy Aaron (Ryan Hansen) and agrees to a tennis match, even though Adam hasn't played for years. Suddenly, the big day is here and Adam has not won her over. Can Adam actually take her away from her own wedding, a la The Graduate? This indie film has many pleasures, especially the superb cast. In addition to Long and Smulders, Cho, Dana Delaney, Luis Guzman, Lea Thompson, and many others bring out the best in each well-drawn character. The scenery and costumes are mighty attractive, too. Even more impressive is the bittersweet script and careful direction which will have the viewer laughing and crying at almost the same time. Those who value independent film making will truly embrace this flick with gusto.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mostly pleasant and often funny, with some depressing moments
vchimpanzee21 November 2021
I know Justin Long mainly for two reasons: He was Mac in the commercials where he was supposed to be cool and IBM's PC was a nerd, but I have always been a PC person. And he was Jess' boyfriend for a while in "New Girl". Here, he comes across as a likable loser. He is reluctant to cause trouble or make demands, and in this way he seems mature, going against what would be expected in romantic comedy movies. And yet the audience is supposed to support him getting the girl and taking her away from this perfect guy we don't like. It all just seems unbelievable. This beautiful girl with that loser? Maybe. And if you want him to do what is expected in movies like this and come across as either a jerk or a hero, depending on your view, he does get a couple of opportunities. I won't say what the result is.

Cobie Smulders I am not familiar with but I recall her being on "How I Met Your Mother", a show I never got interested in but of course I had to see that finale. Still, I don't remember what she did in that episode, so she is basically new to me. She was always gracious to an old friend, and mature, and gorgeous. There is one scene where she has to admit the truth, but it's not the stereotypical scene that movies like this are supposed to have. It's actually another example of mature behavior, which movies like this don't always have.

Saying that the main characters behave as mature adults is not to say there's never one of those outrageous scenes you get in crazy comedies. We do get a couple of those, and that's fine.

Even the older women in this movie are beautiful. Lea Thompson has a pleasant scene as Adam's mom when he visits her during his trip to San Francisco. Dana Delany as Allison's mom is at the wedding. She too is really nice.

Actually, not all the women are pretty. Kristen Schaal I know best as the last woman on Earth, at least until she wasn't, and she doesn't quite live up to that role here, but she has her funny moments. She's more personality than looks.

A couple of people with small roles stand out. Luis Guzmán is outside smoking during the wedding reception and appears dressed to serve food. He has advice for Adam. And then there is Parvesh Cheena as an overly enthusiastic hotel clerk who can't stand that Adam is alone.

Also, there is the man in the nature documentary that Adam is often shown working on for his job. He's really good, but not too serious.

We get to see San Francisco from a number of different viewpoints. I'm almost certain someone reused footage from the opening credits of "Full House". There are a couple of brief scenes with a cable car, and a longer scene with a beautiful view of the bay from a pedestrian bridge running parallel to the Bay Bridge for traffic.

The music is good. I would say great but it changed when the wedding happened. Before, most of the music was standards, such as Tony Bennett's "I Left My Heart in San Francisco". There was fast-moving but pleasant jazz in the hotel lobby. Then at the wedding, there is loud rock music. Don't ask. The reception has mostly pleasant rock and roll or R&B oldies, which are okay but not as good in my opinion as standards. Though these days if you can find a standards radio station (there are many online, but few with lots of real standards) the type songs at the reception are played along with the standards.

Is it family friendly? Let me put it this way. Adam has a talk with a little boy and what Adam says is not heard on TV. The little boy says he's not supposed to use that language. And words get left out a lot on TV. Sometimes many words in a row.

Did I enjoy it? Let's face it. Adam is often shown depressed that he can't be with Allison. It's done in a way that is more appealing than if this had been a straight drama. So it's not really depressing. But it's just not as enjoyable as it could be.

I mostly had a good time.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel a sudden need to work on my will...
Kamurai2511 June 2020
Sad, frustrating watch, won't watch again, and can't recommend.

I finally found a Justin Long movie I don't like, I'm not a big fan of Cobie Smolders, so I don't get her being the "object of affection", I would have had a good time with Kristen Schaal's creepy doll lady character.

There is a bevy of good actors who came together for what was obviously someone's passion project, and maybe it even helped them address some issues.

The movie makes you feel things, but normally that takes you on an adventure, a story, towards an ending of some kind. This story, well written or not, doesn't go anywhere.

I definitely felt something: all the pain over years the same stupid feeling all rolled into one movie, so now I'm sad and hungry and raw.

Really, don't watch this if you're not feeling good because you're going to feel worse afterwards: whether that's to the movie's credit or not.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not realistic
Greatornot18 January 2018
What kind of a man attends the wedding of an ex-gf? What kind of an ex-gf, seemingly makes it an obligation to attend said wedding? This makes no sense to me in the real world. This is not only wrong but screams of an attention whore. I wonder why one would not only want to rub it in her exes face but also put her significant other in an uncomfortable spot.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had potential, didn't realize it
srdjan_veljkovic3 November 2017
The casting is good, story is interesting, one of those things that many have experienced, either first or second hand, in some shape or form, yet few like to talk about. It has several funny moments.

But, it just doesn't work. Cobie Smulders does only the "good old days" segments well, but the new ones are not that good - sure, the idea was to show that present is different, but, while it was different, it was not well portrayed. Justin Long is doing OK, but, he's doing the same routine during the whole movie, by the end it gets old. While the story is interesting, the actual screenplay isn't that good and a lot of things just don't make much sense - which would be OK if it were a comedy. But, since this is not really a comedy, only a "dramedy" of sorts, it's way too nonsensical.

While many may object that we don't see our protagonist learn anything, that is not so bad. Sometimes people just don't learn. Or that he's a wimp - he's mainly a nice guy who's wimpy and there are such guys and that's not bad, really. But, it's things like him staying at a hotel while his mother has a nice house, yet he's not doing very well, job/money-wise. Or that his would-be-mother-in-law likes him more than her actual son-in-law-to-be, yet he doesn't try to (ab)use that to win his ex-girlfriend back (and tries just-about everything else).

So, bottom line, it's a misfire. But, if you would like to see a funny look at an interesting, but awkward situation, it's good-enough.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awkward.
elmoslively1 January 2019
Many years ago (about 15, to be exact), I was a film and TV talent manager here in Vancouver and joined up with an agency that also represented models. One of the girls was Cobie Smulders. We worked together fo a couple of years and I got her her first acting jobs. Her big break was a series for ABC called "Veritas: The Quest" which lasted less than one season, but she was good enough for me too introduce her to some high profile agents in LA and they managed to get her a role in "How I Met Your Mother" for CBS. Her career exploded and she's now starred in several big movies, including many of "The Avengers" film wherein she plays Agent Maria Hill.

I unfortunately became a has been, because the agency I worked with collapsed as did I. Such is life.

Thus my feeling of awkwardness in watching this little movie that tries so hard, but goes absolutely nowhere fast. It's a shame really, because I really like Justin Long, but there was no chemistry between the leads at all.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad. I enjoyed watching it.
spmact1 October 2017
I read the terrible reviews on here but then thought I'd watch it anyway just to form my own opinion. I'm glad I did.

Maybe this movie isn't for everyone. It certainly isn't a comedy, though I did laugh a couple times. It has more of an indie drama feel, with some charm thrown in. Something along the lines of (500) Days of Summer, but not quite as good. I think Justin and Cobie played their parts well, and I also liked John Cho as the cliché best bud telling the main character what he needs to hear.

I may have liked it more than most, perhaps because I've been there. I've had multiple girlfriends marry the next guy, and I've even attended one of the weddings, so it was nice to see that story played out on screen through person's eyes. I could definitely empathize with the main character, but even if you've never experienced the same thing, I'm sure many people have had a similar experience of everything going wrong for them in the relationship department, or having feelings for someone and trying not to show it.

In the end I don't think it was an unforgettable movie, but I don't regret watching it at all. It was also cool to see the ending parallel another very famous movie ending but in a different way, and the video playing over the end credits brought a nice conclusion to the story.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's painful to watch this Beta-Cuck of a man fail at life.
ramfat29 September 2017
All of the attempted comedy in this movie falls flat on its face. These people are supposed to be adults, but they all act like grade- schoolers. The dialog is so forced that it seems like a rehearsal at a school play. The main character lets other men slap him in the face, sit on him, and bully him. His mom is an overbearing idiot, and a weakling, so I guess that makes sense. The main character is not a "hopeless romantic", he is a bald-faced liar, especially to himself. He learns nothing from his failures, and will repeatedly fail for the rest of his pathetic life. The end.
16 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I saw the list of performers and had so much hope...
jeffwithrow24 January 2019
Then I watched this total mess of a movie. What was the point that they were trying to make: the only way to move on was to wreck your ex's wedding? Or that ex's really cannot be friends? There was absolutely nothing likable about the main character.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fortunately I watched it for free on SKY
swgreif17 October 2018
If this is a comedy, it had exactly one second of laughter. If this is a drama, it had no salient moments. I watched it for free, but I can never get back the time wasted. Who can I sue?
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just So Bad.
lokis_mistress2 November 2017
I think I have written maybe two reviews in my life, and that's because movies were SO AMAZING that it needed to be said. In this case, it's just... so... not... worth... watching. There is no other way to say that whoever's fault this ridiculous waste is should be dragged across hot coals. I adore Justin, and I'm learning to like Cobie... DEFINITELY as a comedy duo they should have clicked and this had all the potential to be a great movie that was needed. Love the backdrop of San Fran and that lifestyle... really, I'm thinking chalk this up to supremely bad writing, directing and editing. Absolutely zero redeeming qualities here. I am surprised that halfway through filming Justin didn't stand up and walk off set in protest.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Worth Watching
JTSnowcone561 April 2018
Given the names in the cast, I expected more from this. There's nothing to like when the protagonist, to whom the audience should relate, is such a child, literally throwing a tantrum at the end. I champion independent movies being made, but this is one that could have been left on the shelf.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Justin Long does very well in these roles..
reklaw-4585519 July 2018
I'd actually give this a 7.5 out of 10.

Another somewhat sad romance was Comet. Long showed he has the ability to pull these "sad romantic still in love with the girl" roles off very well. This movie which I feel isnt quite as good as Comet still had a lot in it that I think many people can relate to. While the mid to later part of the movie could definitely have been better I think they just nailed the ending. The bathroom discussion followed by the cake scene.. well let's say at the end I was convinced that his ex realized (probably with regret) what she was losing.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
Vorhees19969 August 2018
Honestly this movie had some good funny bits in it. I laughed out loud a few times. However, it's just really sad. The ending sucks. There's no resolution, really. Just a waste of an hour and 40 minutes.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film trying to justify abusive behaviour. Just. No.
tashwelch24 January 2019
My first review and I had to write it because it was so bad. Such a shame as a great cast but wow... The main character is an emotionally manipulative abusive selfish person who has all of his behaviours 'romanticised' by the film. It's films like this that make people think stalking behaviour is romantic, lying is ok and that it's funny to be a complete **** if you think you've been heartbroken enough. It's not. This film is awful. It should have a warning or be banned.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unwatchable
team-dave20 January 2019
Good cast. Terrible plot. Nice guy doesn't understand why he is dumped. Various people try to help him. Everyone gets bored on the way. Avoid.
15 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awkwardness all around.
alycat36915 January 2019
Why would you go to an exes dinner party/wedding and think, this won't be weird. People are constantly pointing out that you are single and that you let the best girl get away. It's constantly thrown in his face, and I kept hoping he would just walk away. But he didn't, and too many awkward conversations made me turn it off. Could have saved the hour I put into it if he had just said no to the invite. A much shorter movie.... Or not one at all.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a bloody waste of time
jma_be4 October 2017
I could't stop myself from writing this. I have watched this movie with great expectations with the likes of Cobie Smulders and Justin Long and I hate to say that I'm truly disappointed. What a waste of talent.

The entire plot is just a big hot balloon which filled with nothing. And it explodes in the end and nothing comes out, disappointed.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Critics need to 'lighten up'
petrock-426527 March 2019
Sheeeez......some of the scathing criticism of this movie is totally undeserved, I found this movie hilarious at times, but you'll totally miss that if you watch with wrong expectations....however I can understand why a myriad of people are dissatisfied with it, they remind me of people who walk into MacDonalds wanting a cheeseburger and get served butter chicken....totally not what you wanted BUT this movie makes 2 statements 1/ On the more serious side (?) anyone committing to what should be a lifelong union and then rips the other persons heart out, is going to create a huge mess ( emphasised by the way the movie ended ) 2/ From the comedy side, it pokes fun at the dumb and inane wasted effort that people put into trying to cope with rejection. The main character is SUPPOSED to be lost, aimless and pathetic because ( maybe it's just me ) the message of this movie is; 'You lost. Get over it. For goodness sake have a laugh, life is SO much more than idiotic people who let you down !....learn to forgive and move on
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is going to be wait for it.
stevensmith-513302 February 2019
Rubbish. Imagine HIMYM but it only had the neurotic dorky unlikeable Ted without Barney to make it watchable and this is it. Justin Long plays Ted chasing Robin just under different names.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shitty grown up who can't move on and sob like baby
artaddicted0430 September 2017
I would say this is a real disaster movie, just to save you from wasting your previous 1.5h, the essence of movie is a grown up man who can't move on from his ex and being a dipshit jeoparding the very special day of his ex special day, and sobbing like baby wondering if he can ever be back with her, seriously!
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a 50/50
aria-koudounis22 October 2018
I can see why it's not everyone says cup of tea. It has its moments of joy and can be a little depressing at times but it's really not that bad!
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Long....it was so boring and long disappointed
pulpfictionallife26 December 2018
Do not Waste your time and Energy. I was here only because i have watched accepted, going the distance, in case of you with Justin long...but it is trash...no drama,no romance,no comedy,no drugs and fun....
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.