Dark (TV Series 2017–2020) Poster

(2017–2020)

3,207 Reviews
An engaging masterpiece from start to finish
savindri21 June 2019
Insanely good, every episode shocks you in ways you never thought was possible. The constant gripping revelations were so unexpected but tied the story so well together. Exceptional and convincing acting skills by the entire cast and tons of heartfelt scenes between different character dynamics. This show is the perfect epitome of a well thought out show, meticulously crafted and executed so well and overall knows where it's trying to advance it's story. This show has revolutionized time travel storytelling and is definitely one of the most smartly and consistently written shows of our time
1,841 out of 1,998 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish I could give this 11/10
This show is the best thing Netflix has done. It is an absolute masterpiece of story telling.
2,376 out of 2,584 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intoxicating
jimajima-320-95229814 June 2019
This is quite possibly the greatest show I've ever known to exist. It's just so pure. Every scene is saturated with substance. It's actually so good that I won't binge watch it. I take in each episode (possibly without blinking) and savor each experience. I'd write more, but my mind is seriously blown.
1,163 out of 1,282 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
German masterpiece!
Mork_the_Borg8 July 2019
This feedback is currently based on the first 10 episodes of season one (still watching the series as we speak), and to be honest it made me downgrade my rating for 'Stranger Things' quite a bit. It's clear that this series is the child of a genius - everything just works. The acting is great, the cinematography is great, the soundtrack is awesome (reminds me of Klaus Schulze at times), and the story-line is mind-boggling. This series is just miles above anything that leaves Hollywood. Wish that all productions could be like this. Thanks Netflix for bringing this awesome series to me screen. Say bye-bye to public television!
738 out of 817 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, a thrilling brain scrambling sci-fi series
bettercallsaul-017539 August 2020
Dark is Netflix's one of the best supernatural, science fiction series. The narrative is mind-bending and utterly complex, but you could see how well it has been planned and how much time has been put into the production and creation of this show. There are various reasons that make this show a fantastic series that is bound to mess with your mind, for sure. Now, science fiction is not everyone's cup of tea, and that is understandable, but trust me Dark really takes it up a notch. And if my words still hasn't convinced you to watch it yet, I hope the following few points can.

1. The Characters and Their Arcs

Dark has a whole lot of characters, I won't lie. And for someone who dislikes too many characters, this might pose as a bit of a challenge, but it is all worth it. None of the characters are purely saints, and that is the best part of this show. There is no good and evil, but rather a realistic fact that good and evil resides in everyone. We are all the heroes and also villains in the story, one way or the other. It is compelling to see how as viewers, you are confronted with your own initial prejudices and views about the characters, and how they change along with the progress of the show. It will make you so conflicted till the point that you're not sure who is wrong and who is right, and you'll empathise with them all, for sure. This is how the characters are crafted in the show, and it makes it very difficult to choose favourites.

2. The Plotline and The Writing

Trying to explain Dark's plotline will be like trying to understand whether the chicken came first or the egg. It is one of the most intricately written stories, but so well laid out and perfectly planned that it will never cease to surprise you at any point. The writers have planned everything out, and they do not miss a single detail. Easter eggs are laid out throughout the show and the whole plotline it just too clever. So clever, it will blow your mind every time.

Dark is a show full of thrill, suspense, and mystery, laden with hints of the supernatural and family drama. At no point will you feel bored or underwhelmed, that is a given guarantee. The beauty of this show is that the suspense and mystery keeps you hooked right until you've finished the show, and even then, you will be craving for more; questioning, scratching your head. The twists and turns are superb and very intricately placed in the storyline. They are dramatic but not stupid. Nothing is wasted on space, story or with dialogues. In Dark, know that every single visual, every single dialogue, everything has a role to play.

The storylines are connected, and no episode will leave you without questions in your mind. You will definitely want more, and when you think you've figured out the plot, the show writers will pull out another secret, another stunt that will leave you speechless for sure. It is amazing, and I cannot tell you how many times my jaw had hung open while watching this show.

3. Family Dynamics and Drama

It would be wrong to leave out the drama because it surely plays a pivotal role in this show. As I've already said how exceptionally well the character arcs are, same is with the family drama too. The show brings together the individual lives of four families whose paths - futures, present, and past - intricately cross with one another, connected in a whole big loop (and by connected, I mean really connected). Questions about sacrifices and betrayal and love all come into focus as the show progresses; who's hiding what, and who's related to who. How far will you go to save your family, to save the ones you love? It is a question that repeats itself over and over, playing out as an elaborate bigger theme.

Each family has their own humanly possible problems to deal with. Starting from loss and grief to battling one's sexuality and past, it deals with all the aspects in a coherent way. At its core, Dark is largely about familial relationships that span generations, about tragedies, and betrayals that shape them, about the love and hurt, ultimately bringing everything and everyone together in a very complex web. If you thought understanding the family dynamics and drama in Once Upon a Time and Game of Thrones was difficult, wait until you watch Dark.

4. Time Travel, But With Logic

One of the setbacks of this show could have easily been its time travelling storyline because, let's face it, it is super hard to create a reasonable time travel story. Often than not, shows dealing with this theme has the risk of losing the logical explanation and then witness everything going haywire. But Dark surely takes this theme at its best and delivers to us a complicated show that you'll eventually understand. To put it lightly, time travel also exists in the show as a metaphor of confronting your own self, past and future, and in the way paving the way for growth (and maybe destruction too). It doesn't actually mess up with its varying range of timelines, and keeps a note of all the complexities, all the timelines, knitting everything together in a clean circle. At times, it may get difficult to understand and seem to get haphazard and it surely will be confusing, but things play out well. It is all well at the end.

5. The Various Philosophical Themes

In the midst of family drama and time travelling, Dark also has in store a whole array of philosophies to boggle your mind and keep you questioning your own beliefs, your sanity long after the show is over. Largely dealing with the question of time and human origin, the show tends to treat time in the same vicinity as that of God. To create a world without time enslaving us humans is one of the central running theme of this show, and something that it follows quite religiously. Using fantasy, it takes on a very different angle or storytelling in the television era, questioning the meaning of faith and family, blood and time. It takes into questions about fate, destiny and choices. Can you change your destiny? Can you be truly free from the clutches of time? Can you change your future? Are we really ever free of time?

6. A Visual Delight

Apart from the brilliant lead of casts and the super confusing yet fantastic plotline, Dark is also blessed with pleasing visuals which is a definite 10/10. The creepy forest setting provides an excellent view to the storyline, adding a sense of fear and dread in the viewers. The caves too provide an atmospheric essence to the story, a pioneer of time travel that connects everything. The settings are eerie and mostly unsettling, and seem to be always announcing an impending doom. It can be agreed that the cinematography really adds a whole boost to the whole series, adding exclusively to the suspenseful storyline. It complements the show really well, and becomes one of the reasons why this show is extremely amazing to watch.
129 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyond perfection
castillolisbeth29 June 2020
It is a tremendous story based on the German physical and philosophical perspective: Nietzsche and Einstein and their conception of time. The casting, dialogues, photography, pace, soundtrack, nostalgia, costume design are beyond perfection. The best thing Netflix has ever ever done.
137 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely mind-bending Puzzle!
AlvaGaugin9 August 2020
DARK is really unique and impressive - and absolutely mind-bending ! Like a hybrid of Stephen King, David Lynch and Christopher Nolan - with a certain German touch, of course. Season 3 really blew me away. Granted, there were initial doubts, but they were completely removed, and the final cycle surpassed all my expectations. A perfect conclusion of a near perfect show!
128 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is a masterpiece!!!
labibakhan-2130629 June 2020
Dark is one of the rare shows that makes you completely lose your mind and does not let to stop thinking about the things you saw. It takes time travel to a new dimension and explores in a unique and bold way which will keep you coming for more. The creators did an excellent job of storytelling and keeping the plot together and shocking us in every episode. The final season is the biggest ride that'll answer all your questions as well as tie all the loose threads together and give a story filled with mind blowing plot twists and mysteries. The whole cast and crew were absolutely brilliant and this was a magnificent mindbending experience indeed.
139 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch in German with subtitles
savagecaption13 May 2019
I tired to watch this with the English dub but it was just terrible. It's the only show I've ever given a chance in a foreign language and I don't regret it. If you're the kind of person who watches shows with subtitles anyways then this is for you. It just hits the spot in every way you can imagine. Amazing writing, acting, great plot, and leaves you mind blown.
997 out of 1,126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MUST WATCH
michael-wyka1 August 2020
"DARK" is 1 of, if not the best T.V series I have ever watched. If you are going to watch this series, you must commit 100% of your attention to each and every minute. If you can't do that, don't bother watching it because you'll be well and truly lost by season 3. This is a Must Watch for those who really enjoy T.V and film.
76 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would have given it 100 stars if that was an option.
gauravs-0129630 June 2020
Best show I've ever watched. Every aspect of it looks spectacular. It's new , different, unique, confusing at times, thrilling, suspenseful, gripping, beautifully well acted, bit of romantic at the same time. Completely changed the Idea of time travel into my head. I don't think any other time travel thing will excite me more than DARK from now on.
258 out of 286 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poetic.
CesiumParticle729 June 2020
A science fiction story, perfectly well assembled. A story well thought before the execution. Three seasons full of symbolisms, told in a steady, continuous way, that entangles your mind in a passionate manner. A perfect balance between the coldness of science and the warmth of love. A strong ending, full of logic and depth. I surely looked inside the abyss, and I'm happy that the abyss looked back at me. Congratulations Germany you created a great story!
130 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original and mindblowing science fiction story that is already legendary.
ojvhakkinen29 June 2020
(Apart from the last segment, this review is completely spoiler-free)

It's amusing that approximately 10 days ago I didn't even know about this show. Well that's an exaggeration as I was aware that this strange German science fiction series, often labelled as the non-English Language Stranger Things, was on Netflix. I've been meaning to watch it for a while now, but constantly I've put it aside for a later date.

But when the final season was announced I knew I have to finally just freaking do it. I binged the whole thing in 4 days right before season 3 dropped. And damn I had no idea what I was getting into. I had no idea that in 10 days I was going to experience something so earthshatteringly mindbending. Dark makes me believe that time travel truly exists. The human who wrote this must've come from the future as there's no way how anyone who is not superhuman born million years from now can come up with a story like this. It's baffling. Obviously you can create a knot of a plot but most likely you are going to write yourself into corner you'll never get out of. But these freaking writers knew how to write a show. It shows that this was the story they were always meaning to tell.

I am baffled why I have come around to this show only now. This thing is tailor-made for me. I am a huge science fiction fan and Dark checks off every box when it comes to the great scifi stories. It's well made, particularly in the last season Dark is enchantingly pretty to look at. Score is memorable. You cannot ever skip the intro. It's beautifully directed, you can't just have a good script, it needs to be executed professionally on screen to achieve its full potential, which Dark does. First season had its few shaky moments, but excluding those writing and acting are very strong. Its mythology is massive. It has twists that blow your brain. It asks big, complex questions but has the necessary human component as well. It's extremely rewatchable. Time travel has been done to death but the approach Dark takes is original and something that has never been done before.

Please watch this show, don't let the German language and subtitles scare you!

(Minor spoiler-filled segment about the ending of the show. I vaguely describe it, you can read the most of it without show being ruined for you but I warn that the very last segment is a massive spoiler!)

Speaking about the human component, one reason why this show utterly impressed me is how well it handled its ending. Obviously there are shows out there which ended really well. The series finale of Breaking Bad is fantastic, don't get me wrong. The story of Walter White is perfect, don't get me wrong. But it's not as complicated like Dark. The fact that a show like this ended so well is unheard of. Some were disappointed that the ending was fairly simple, I personally loved that. I love every time when a conclusion for a complex story is simple and emotional. As stated before, the emotional depth makes scifi work. Therefore the conclusion is so satisfying. I for sure needed tissues. Now I look at the whole thing and think to myself "man what a great story".

Whether the ending is good or bad, I am always incredibly sad when a great show ends. I am over and over again dreading that feeling of inevitable emptiness when I start a new tv-series. But it does indeed help when a show completely sticks the landing and I know that I've experienced something special. That a great ending would solidify a show as legendary.

The overused word "underrated" has been linked to Dark a lot of times. While it may not get the recognition it deserves now, the show will not get lost in a shuffle. It will be rewatched endlessly and discovered by new fans, I am sure of that. The world may have forgotten that Jonas and Martha ever existed, but the world will never forget about Dark.
114 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beyond sublime
sameatsham-8899716 June 2020
This series is without doubt the greatest TV show ever created, it completely reinvents the way a TV show can be made. Every aspect of this show is perfect - writing, cinematography, acting, soundtrack, casting. It's very difficult to review this show with delving into spoilers, but to summarise it all resolves around time travel, and how everything is connected. HIGHLY recommend!
105 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life is a labyrinth
huetagolimaya2 June 2020
Dark is a deliciously morbid research on human decisions and their interconnection in between each other and through time. This family sci-fi drama tightly stuffed with literature, philosophy, science references and focuses on such themes as determinism, Christianity, freedom of will, existentialism, quantum physics. Dark has a bit of lovecraftian vibe to it, not in terms of monsters, yet in terms of unseen evil, an existential dread, where "the evil" is Time itself. The show operates on a higher level of scriptwriting, there are no filler scenes let alone episodes, and details are also mega international. Everything is important because everything is connected. Get ready for a hella ride. And don't blink while you're watch it.
181 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark:The definition of masterpiece
suhantazim9 August 2020
I watched so many series in my life and still watching but believe me nothing is better than Dark.Its just not a series it's emotion for me.But this series is still underrated.So don't think so much go and watch it.
88 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't miss this GEM!!
akellashashank1 July 2020
Captivating , Mind boggling , out of the world experience. I can strongly say, this is one of the greatest shows ever made till date and it may even stand top in the list. I just bow down to the creators of Dark " Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese " for churning out a series like Dark , because it needs a genius touch to narrate a complex story. The depth and complexity involved in this series is something I have never seen and yet they managed to pull it off perfectly by unraveling the thread layer by later in the last season, Master stroke 🔥 I know, there are people who complain about the show being slow in the season1 and yes, it is but you can't expect everything to fall in place to entertain you from the word go. You just need to allow the creators to establish the story, characters to get into our nerves. It deserves more appreciation and recognition as other top shows. JUST WATCH IT.
96 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece!
andyolivares3 July 2019
I rarely write a review but this is truly a masterpiece. Excellent storytelling without holes in the plot or weird artifacts to fill a gap. You can see how hard the writers worked to create a coherent story. Keeps you intrigued the whole time.

The best part is that season 2 is as good as the first one. Take that HBO!

One of the best shows I've seen in a while. Kudos Netflix and keep up the good work!
536 out of 608 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It'a kind of magic
zio-4662311 June 2020
Just finished to rewatch 1st/2nd season, in order to be prepared for the 3rd to be released on 27/06, and I was blown away like the first time. This series is pure magic and in this moment I think it's absolutely the best Netflix's production. The plot is brilliant and studied in every single detail, could seem sometimes quite complex and you have to follow every moment with great attention and without distractions. But trust me, it's very easy because the show keeps you in suspense all the time and at the end of every single episode you need to watch the following one immediately. The halo of mystery that surrounds the show wraps you completely, all accompanied by a wonderful soundtrack that exponentially increases the pathos. Also the photography borders on perfection and faithfully reproduces the various historical moments in which the story unfolds. Can't wait for the 3rd and last season, sure that It will conclude this masterpiece as it deserves.
86 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best SHOW EVER...
mohdowais-9679830 June 2020
The best show out there on OTT platform. each small things in this ahow is just perfect, ESPECIALLY the cast the younger self just look like the older self and that is amazing coz they are different actors. Jonas and Martha's love story is one of the great est of all time. It's now FAVOURITE SHOW.
101 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
worth your time
jonurbin8 August 2020
I really loved the serie Dark. No question for me than to watch it in german with subs. by the 3rd season, you will know some German words and the feel is so much better.. great story, well put together. better watch in a marathon than with 1 year apart cause it takes time to figure out who is who and when etc. go for it if you want to see a great original story, creative and different and some very good acting for a first german netflix series. worth you time 100%
69 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mind bending, stupendous, amazing and all other similar adjectives show
devesh27229 June 2020
Dark is the best series to have come in science fiction genre focusing on time travel and utilising some concepts from quantum physics. There are lot of things in the series which you will find very complex at times but in the end the series will answer all the questions that you might have. The best thing about the series is it's story and direction. It feels like the makers were sure from the beginning to complete the story in 3 seasons. No shortcuts or abrupt endings like we have seen in some other great shows. Full credit to the makers and writers for that. They have created a mind bending, stupendous, fantabulous, amazing show for the viewers. Apart from that each actors, especially lead ones Louis and Lisa who play Jonas and Martha, have done commendable job. You feel hooked up to the characters and their stories till the very end. Rating the show and giving stars is not justified for this show. It will surely be on the list of the greatest shows ever made in our history and future to come. Feels like Albert Einstein time travelled to future and created the show for us :) DON'T miss it guys at any cost !!
115 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece
nimazarei-029689 August 2020
This is an art. This is a masterpiece. This is the best series that will just leave you question your own existence. This is DARK.
92 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MASTERPIECE
traguic1 July 2020
By far The Greatest Sci-Fi Series ever made!!! All three seasons, from start to end, never failed to amuse it...the details, even in the smallest things are just in the right time-space-moment
84 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Series I've Seen
satko_d8 August 2020
I don't even know where to start from. I'm just gonna say, as others here seems to have said, I just took my time watching the series, I did finish the first season in one day, the second season in 3 days, and the third season, it took me like 10 days.

I've seen over 200 TV series, but none comes even close in execution and that mind blowing ending, that was just so perfect... The ending was so good, so perfect, that I have never seen a series or story wrapped up so beautifully before, tears rolled down my eyes.

There's so much, much more I would like to talk about and describe in details, but I just can't right now... If you haven't watched it yet, and you love science, time travel, quantum physics.... then go watch it, and watch it carefully. Actually, it will suck you in so well, you'll forget about the outside world for a while.
76 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.