Uncut Gems (2019) Poster

(2019)

1,335 Reviews
Pleasant surprise... wow...
davidgiorgione27 December 2019
That was INTENSE. Decided to watch this after seeing this film pop up on so many "2019 Top 10 movies" lists and I couldn't be happier that I did. Adam Sandler absolutely killed it in this, I kept feeling confused at the choices he made but at the same time felt sorry for him.

That ending game though... my palms were sweaty and I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see if it was going to end badly like most gambling movies do. I was extremely surprised to see him win his bet thinking "wow this movie actually is going to have a happy ending" but oh boy was I SHOCKED when Sandler unlocked that door... my jaw was on the ground.

Only thing keeping it from a 10 is the ending felt incomplete. What's his family going to think and what's his side piece gonna do once she came back to his dead corpse. Either way this movie was amazing.

Edit: wow did not expect so much hate on this film after reading other reviews... not to mention it looks like users here are fishing out positive reviews and marking them all as "non helpful". I don't know about those bad reviewers but any movie that has me at a lost for words and a pounding heart rate for that long deserves a spot high up on my list...
893 out of 1,076 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spot on reviews here lol
marcus-191-21206231 January 2020
All reviews here are correct. The good ones and the bad ones. This movie is a mess and you can like it or hate. My wife hated it, I liked it very much.
263 out of 319 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Intense Roller-Coaster
kjproulx15 September 2019
It has been a fascinating ride watching the numerous ups and downs of Adam Sandler's career. From classic comedies like Happy Gilmore to great dramatic performances like Reign Over Me, he has proven time and time again that he is a very talented guy. The problem is that he has let himself fall out of the spotlight over the last ten years, simply due to the fact that he has been choosing some of the worst films of each year, on multiple occasions. In what might be the greatest performance he has ever given, Uncut Gems is his latest role that will be released this fall. After viewing this at the Toronto International Film Festival and giving it a little time to sink in, I can confidently say that this will end up being one of my favourite films of 2019 by year's end.

Following a jewelry store owner in Howard Ratner (Adam Sandler) as he gets his hands on a precious gemstone from Ethiopia, he decides to lend it to an NBA star in good faith. What sadly becomes apparent is the fact that he has many issues under the surface. Being a really shady figure and having a serious gambling addiction ends up giving this movie an insane amount of tension. This is a roller coaster ride of claustrophobia and I couldn't get enough of it.

Directors Benny and Josh Safdie have been quietly building a solid little career for themselves. Having worked on very small indie projects like Heaven Knows What and then one of 2017s very best movies in Good Time, they're truly a duo that this industry needs. Their creativity always leaps off the screen in a way that feels very different from other filmmakers working today. This is a movie that heavily relies on pacing, editing, and performances. With a screenplay that requires nearly every performer to constantly be in motion or talking over one another, this movie barely gives you a second to catch a breath.

By the time the third act begins, you'll probably wonder why you have been so invested in Sandler's portrayal of Howard because he's really not the best person. With that said, it's the fact that he is a terrible person deep down and is so greedy that is what made it so engaging and unnerving at times. With the use of periodic psychedelic imagery, a pulse-poundingly superb score, and a slew of uberly talented performers, Uncut Gems is a movie that states from the very beginning that it's a contender for the upcoming awards season.

Overall, some viewers will absolutely wonder what the point of the movie was, due to the nature of how the final few minutes play out, but it was precisely these final moments that took me off guard and had me loving it even more. Personally, I feel that audiences have become impatient with films these days and anything over an hour and a half may seem like a chore to them if they're not completely on board, so that's why I would recommend this movie. It's not short, but the way this movie is put together makes it fly by. I believe this movie can be appreciated by many viewers. Uncut Gems is easily one of the years best films.
397 out of 576 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Insanity
stefanruby16 September 2019
Saw this at TIFF. From front to back, this movie might be most stressful thing I've ever seen. I was a huge fan of Good Time and this movie ramps the intensity to an even higher level. Sandler's performance is great. It just shows that time after time, if he's working with a good director(s), a strong supporting cast, and an interesting concept, he will absolutely crush it. Also what other movie could have "people watching sports" be the most exhilarating part of the story?

I also loved that the score (Daniel Lopatin aka Oneohtrix Point Never) is used super strategically to build discomfort, especially when it swells to drown out the dialogue.

Looking forward to watching this again when it gets a wide release in December.
382 out of 564 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
NOT an Adam Sandler movie -- a Safdie Brothers FILM
gortx23 December 2019
UNCUT GEMS (2019). First things first. This is not an "Adam Sandler movie". Yes, he is the star and the focus of the advertising, but, this is very much a "Safdie Brothers film". Emphasis on "film". Benny and Josh Safdie are very much in love with the look and feel of the films of the 70s and 80s, in particular. But, as with GOOD TIME, they are not interested in doing a cutesy wink-wink homage. It's in their bones. Sandler plays Howard, New York city jeweler who's also a full-time hustler. His marriage to Dinah (Idina Menzel) is falling apart, his gambling debts are piling up and he is facing health issues. He banks his future on an Ethiopian rock which houses the title valuables. Also involved are a two-bit floozy he's carrying on with (Julia Fox) and Boston Celtics legend Kevin Garnett - playing himself. From the get-go, the Safdie Brothers (who also co-wrote with Ronald Bonstein) bring enormous energy and drive to the proceedings. Sandler starts at 11 and goes from there. Similarly, Daniel Lopatin's score is often mixed so high it becomes intrusive at times (the synth music itself isn't bad, sort of a retro blend of Vangelis and Jean-Michel Jarre). Darius Khondij's 35mm photography is both slick and gritty. Director Yorgos Lanthimos (THE FAVOURITE) has remarked that UNCUT GEMS is like "a Robert Altman film that was dipped in acid." Altman's 1974 CALIFORNIA SPLIT certainly fits the time period and some of the themes. Of course, Altman was an original and as many of his admirers have found out over the years, overlapping dialogue and naturalistic atmosphere do not alone make an "Altman film" (Altman himself often enough failed to create the unique mood). UNCUT GEMS works because of the filmmaking brio and Sandler's driven performance. Still, at times, it seems to be trying too hard. It works best in the last act when the Safdies let the drama play out more. It's a good film, even if not quite up to GOOD TIME. But, hey, Celtics fans now know how Boston beat Philadelphia in that 2012 Playoff series!
141 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"You're the most annoying person I've ever known"
Quinoa198428 December 2019
They should hand out high-grade blood pressure meds to people going to see this after it ends. The major strength and in a way the slight weakness of Uncut Gems is how laser-focused the Safdies are in conveying total anxiety, stress and mania through this extreme act of full cinema SOUND (levels of acting and over-lapping dialog, that Vangelis-Blade-Runner-on-Steroids/Crystal Meth score, some of the cinematography and the tracking of the camera).

I do wish there was a little more than just flourishes of relief, though I'd be lying if I said Sandler was anything but exceptional and riveting playing degenerate crumbling right before our eyes. While Eric Bogosian, Lakeith Stanfield and Kevin Garnett and many others here are natural solid, it's Sandler's show, and it's soulful and tense and harrowing and ultimately (as terrible as Howard can be) tragic. The filmmakers's greatest achievement from the looks of this and Good Time is finding star-actors who aren't known for their wide range and getting career-triumph work from them. If the movie isn't all that complex, I do think Howard is and that helps make this pretty special as a depiction of addiction, more than anything else. It's got grit and style to burn, which is mostly fine by me.
148 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Sandler fan!
iullah21 December 2019
I am pretty sure this would be an Oscar nod for Sandler. One thing I can say for sure is that I have never been a Sandler fan. I have deliberately avoided his movies all along - I never liked him on SNL. In fact, I hate his moronic idiotic drooling expressions and acting. But boy did he break all my perceptions of him in this gem! This is not a movie to watch in cinema for sure. Watch it at leisure at home with possibly taking a break or two in between. It is intense and will draw you in.
184 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty much unbearable
lauradys-9366120 January 2020
I feel compelled to write a note due the bewildering number of glowing reviews floating about for this film. I watched four couples walk out. About 30 minutes in I thought I couldn't bear it but kept with it regrettably. The direction, the script, the editing, the talking over each other, the score. It was a truly painful experience. Don't believe the hype.
289 out of 497 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A stressful convoluted mess of nothingness
TheTopDawgCritic17 December 2019
How is this even a movie? For starters, who's idea was it to have a constant loud, atrocious, out-of-place and annoying score in almost every second of this film. Then putting a bunch of loud people in one room yelling, ignoring each other and talking nonsense, and call it a movie. This is the garbage daily workplace stress people want to avoid, not watch expecting to be entertained, but instead resort to drinking to settle down watching this stressful convoluted mess of nothingness. What was even the point of the traditional dinner with still non-stop annoying loudness and useless chatter? I get the writers are novice/newbs, but at least have a seasoned writer proofread this mess before it goes to action and viewers watch stunned for 135 mins wondering what they're watching, only to get a stupid ending. 4/10 all going to Sandlers great performance
595 out of 1,049 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I got a headache!
jcodo28 December 2019
Wtf is this? Why the high ratings? It's 135 min of pure noise!
591 out of 1,046 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yelling Characters Over an Abrasive Soundtrack
nwsurfrider26 December 2019
I went into this film with fairly high hopes for it. Yeah, those hopes died about ten minutes in. Everyone is yelling in practically every scene, and there's a strange, vaguely 80's sounding soundtrack blaring in every scene. The first two acts are a mess, though the third act is a bit easier to follow, but ultimately doesn't offer all that much of a story. So, to sum it up, I'd rather watch 'Billy Madison' while getting dental work done than this trainwreck of a film.
660 out of 1,172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Indulgent.
lydiataylor-523149 February 2020
The plot largely consists of Adam Sadler yelling at the TV / being yelled at / others yelling, transporting goods / money around and yelling at people / things again. The whole movie is set up to stress you out as much as possible, which whilst quite a feat is also deeply unpleasant. Found it pretty indulgent and unpleasant tbh. Good acting though, in-between all the yelling.
65 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did I just watch?
clarkchris-4874821 January 2020
Uncut Gems was every bit as thrilling and chaotic as it seems was intended. The shouting dialogue and impulsive plot kept me on the edge of my seat, but the entire thing felt one note until the very end. I certainly wasn't bored, but I don't think this was a roller coaster I truly enjoyed.
184 out of 319 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch if you want to get headache!
farshad-persianguy3 January 2020
The only interesting thing about this movie was the constant high stress levels. Other than than, garbage story which ended meaningless. I'd rather watch Adam Sandler's cheesy comedy movies that this.
261 out of 461 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yelling, chaos, no storyline worth following
teresarkt21 January 2020
I have only walked out of one other movie in my life. I was trying to stick it out through very chaotic and gritty scenes hoping that the movie would get better. 20 minutes into the movie, my husband said, it better get better than this or we should just go home. Sad to say, we made it about an hour in still hoping.

This movie was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. You don't want to root for any of these characters. They all seem pretty horrible as people. There is no humor. The movie has a lot of chaos, which creates almost an anxious feeling, and it just because people are constantly yelling or obnoxious.

I didn't enjoy anything about it and left, wasting $20 because watching reruns on tv was the better option.
140 out of 247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A FRANTIC MASTERPIECE
RinoBortone9125 December 2019
A frantic episode in the life of Howard Ratner that let us imagine that there is more. A descent made of excruciating screams and precious gems, of sketched smiles and nerves on the skin. A well directed film, better written and very well acted. Adam Sandler offers us one of his best performances of his career, making many, especially young people, think that this actor has a lot to offer in different contexts. His performance, with the excellent directing by the Safdie Bothers, merges in an unique and original vision of a common plot. Film that you watch in a whisper with the perception that hours that seem minutes and minutes that seem endless. A thriller-dramatic picture with a bit of comedy between the lines. Frantic and unique.
184 out of 332 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seen at TIFF 2019
BenHarley113810 September 2019
Ever since watching the Safdie brother's previous feature, Good Time, I was eagerly awaiting their next feature. Good Time showed that they are masters of tension and momentum, with their impressive culmination of unique characters, editing, dialogue and of course musical scores, and Uncut Gems further cements that they are not only masters of tension, but they are truly two of the most exciting rising filmmakers right now.

I usually know how to structure a review, but Uncut Gems is so unconventional in nearly every regard, and frankly I'm not quite sure where to start. It doesn't let up, ever. Pretty much from the first minute to the end you are shot into a relentless world of chaos among various reoccurring characters, all gravitating around Adam Sandler's "Howie". That leads me to Adam Sandler's performance and character. I LOVED it. Oh boy, is he good. He's not only fantastic at delivering dialogue for extremely long and exhausting takes, but just seeing his characters psyche continuously digging himself deeper is electric.

I'll leave off with saying Uncut Gems is one of the most exhilarating and unique films that I've seen this year. Adam Sandler (and the entire cast) kill it, the musical score is loud and exciting, it looks beautiful, and it has an energy that I haven't seen in any other film this year.

I really can't wait to see what the Safdie's come up with next.
159 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yelling is not acting
WHalawa23 December 2019
Yelling is not acting or my kid is Al Pacino, annoying score , poor performance by most of the staff, annoying score, easy to figure plot twist , annoying score, over the top hectic yelling and screaming scenes, annoying score.
327 out of 610 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I felt assaulted. This movie is much worse than just bad or waste of time and money
michpetty18 January 2020
Wish I had left immediately but I was with someone and had to suffer through to the end.. This movie sucks. It was so painful to sit through that even my ears hurt. I was in a nice, clean theater with fancy comfortable recliner seats, but it was misery. I felt so grubby afterwards that I wanted a shower.The worst movie I have ever subjected myself to in nearly 60 years
227 out of 418 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh.
Kreig30314 December 2019
I wanted to like this movie. I really did. But I came out feeling a bit ill. The frenetic trailer proved a proper foreshadowing: it was like they extended the same pacing over the entire film. As a result it becomes hard to get to know or even like any of the characters and there was a resultant stock quality to many of them, with no real tension between them provided by the story. It skates too cleanly over the main character's gambling addiction and Kevin Garnett's role is almost inscrutable as a character goes; we end up with stereotypes. The tension which exists is generated in the hyperactive cinematography and editing and it leaves you feeling more and more like the end of the film couldn't come too soon... but when it does its nonsensical... it "wraps things up" but very unsatisfyingly. There's just not much of a payoff for your 2 1/2 hours. In sum, I'd sit this one out and wait till it's available to stream.
414 out of 788 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loud. Violent yelling constantly. Disturbing.
themerritts-0579827 December 2019
I had rather scratch my fingers on a chalkboard for two freaking hours! The weird soundtrack is only exceeded by how grating the movie is.
297 out of 564 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh dear
steveevans-3515418 January 2020
Two hours of people just shouting. It's absolutely awful. Zero likeness for any of the characters and a non story. Worst film I've seen for years. Sandler needs a good talking too.
228 out of 429 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's with the constant yelling.
danielmanson1 February 2020
This film is forgettable. Sandler decided to yell every single word that left his mouth, plot annoyed me and no real likeable characters. These were my main concerns with the movie.

First half of the film is terrible, rated that about 2/10. Had no real direction and everything was just way too chaotic so hard to understand what's going on. Second half is much better, I'll give it a 7/10. The film slows down in pace and you get a good idea what's happening now. Acting, minus the yelling, was good. Enjoyable. Ending, stupid. Won't ruin it, but it's pointless. Felt like I wasted my time. Back to 2/10. 5/10 overall, wasn't the worst but had too many issues.
85 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sandler delivers a tour de force performance in one of the year's best films.
ierenz22 September 2019
The Safdie brothers are a masterful dark comedy creating a film that happily has one rooting for the bad guy. Ratner is in more ways than one despicable cheat; but he's also someone who can't assist but love the crowd. As his different systems become more complicated, Ratner's hole digs deeper and deeper.With the ideal combination of arrogance and nervous insecurity, Sandler portrays Ratner's reckless descent. He's the man who believes he's covered with all the corners ; but he's really hanging on by a lucky thread.The performance of Sandler fits completely into the natural and edgy filmmaking style of the Safdie brother. The siblings patiently build a narrative that is an unpleasant and riveting experience. The more turbulent the waters Ratner is swimming in, the more difficult it is for one to look away. In fact, Uncut Gems is a rare treasure, a thrilling and darkly funny film.
178 out of 332 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Irritating as hell
marksie-8585117 December 2019
Too much going on in every scene. The whole film felt like a mad panic to squeeze everything into as little time as possible. No time to take everything in.. a case of quantity but little quality..I hated it ... one huge mess from start to finish.
334 out of 642 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.