Insidious: The Last Key (2018) Poster

Soulless
Jordan Pillar20 January 2018
The Last Key is filled with recycled ideas and imagery from the previous Insidious films. Characters will make decisions in one scene, only to inexplicably decide the exact opposite in the following scene. Most of the suspenseful scenes feel ripped straight from the previous entries in the franchise (or from other similar series like the Conjuring or Ouija). Worst of all, The Last Key seems to feel the need to remind of you of the other Insidious films and previous scenes with needless flashbacks and reincorporation. The humor is often misplaced, pacing is disjointed, but at least the score will be sure to remind you of when you're supposed to be scared.

Despite some cool looking sets, there is little to enjoy in this film. The Last Key is a bland entry in a tired series.
40 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unnecessary Addition to the franchise part 2.
nepali_reviewer_ksmglbaj10 January 2018
(Some spoiler free views about the movie)

Insidious : Chapter 3 wasn't enough of an unnecessary addition to the Insidious franchise, so we got this one. This one does have some good elements in it, and definitely more of the bad ones. All in all, the film felt like a below average "horror" film. This film really felt underwhelming to me, and I already had very less expectations. If the franchise is to proceed further (no pun intended), they need to change the direction or reboot it. But the best thing would be to stop it right here. On my own scale, I would give it a "4.1/10" score. And on the usual A+ to F scale, it would get a "D+".

(Discussion about how I personally felt about the movie)

Good : What this film does good is it adds some more depth to the character of Elise. They give the back story and all, along with some "origins" of Elise. Her character moments are quite good. Some jump-scares, particularly one or two, were good ones. And ... that's it.

Mixed : None of the parts were "mixed", just good or bad.

Bad : The remaining of the film, just like the third one, felt more like a typical "haunted house" story, rather than an "Insidious" film. The concept of astral projection they brought in the first film has been turned into a mere plot device ever since the third one, this fourth installment clearly isn't an exception. Honestly, I feel that is the thing that made the first two films what they were. And the way "The Further" works has been quite a bit ludicrous ever since the second one, the ludicrousness increased in the third one and now in this one, everything convenient to the plot can be done in "The Further". Just like astral projection, this is just a plot device now. And nothing is explained about how the things work to stop that demon. It was just "you're watching a horror film, so anything that we do for our convenience, you should accept it, no matter we build it or not" sort of bullshit. The jokes that the two "sidekicks" of Elise crack were CRINGE-WORTHY. Just some perverted moments time and again, some unnecessary bullshit, most of the comedic parts feel out of place and did not match the tone of the film. And even though the jokes and all that stupid stuff felt out of place, this film felt like a comedy more than horror. Speaking of horror, it just had jump-scares, none of which made a real sense. Remove them, nothing is "horror". Also, some predictable and obvious "Insidious" twists at some places, which no longer feel appealing. Also, "The Last Key" ..... I am still wondering what was so special about the key, except for Elise giving the demon the last key. It was just a demon who manipulated Elise's father and had fingers made up of keys which served some vague purpose not explained in the movie. The demon when appears in some jump-scares, it scares (at least). But when it really shows up, nothing is speacial about it. So, where's the horror? Scaring and terrifying are different things, and for a good horror film, most of us prefer the terrifying stuffs. The presence of demon serves no purpose? And he's the only demon?!! And how is that blowing a whistle calls Elise's mother to rescue her and a single kick kills the demon? (If only it had some purpose and some story added to the part of the demon like in the first two, it might have worked.) Also, what's with her Elise's dad's spirit dying in "The Further"? There are many such questions unanswered by the film and this is not obviously an "Inception-themed" or "Memento-themed" movie, this was just an incomprehensible mess of a movie. Then, there's a scene of Elise opening the boxes to realize the killings her father committed, where we were teased of jump-scares, and we didn't get a jump-scare at the first time, and after a couple of stupid teasings we get a jump-scare. And if the makers thought we won't be able to predict what they were doing in this scene, they're fools. See? A scene committed to an unnecessary jump-scare, but nothing done to give some actual horror. Doesn't that prove that horror film makers don't know what horror is? And where's that man dressed as bride in a black dress trying to kill Elise, which was supposed to follow her every time she went into "The Further"? The film ties up with the events of the first one, which clearly creates some plot holes as the entire film was about astral projection but the way this film ties it up shows as if it was something similar to this film, making this more of a nonsense. In fact, the best part of this film is that it had some scenes from the first Insidious film, which reminded me how good the first two were. Rest of all, unnecessary crap.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Similar to Previous Films- Decent Horror Film
jasonescamilla4 January 2018
This movie focuses on Elise's character and that is undeniably the best part of the film. The scary scenes feel too similar to what we have seen in the previous installments but overall, it was enjoyable.

37 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Horrible and Awfull movie
jmvv-3806418 January 2018
First of all I liked the first three movies. I wish I saw those in the cinema, that would have been a treat. So expecting more of the same, I went to see part 4 'The last key'. It was most definitly a horror to watch. An awfull movie. Bad quality of the story, no build up or climax. The actors were terrible and the jokes were horrible. It was a very dull and boring experience. Shame, shame, shame!
24 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Way too slow and repetitive
camilledrummond6 January 2018
It's not the worst horror flick I've seen but its one of the SLOWEST! with this being a prequel, it should have narrowed down the plot to being about Elise and her childhood and not about trying to piece every single movie( all the other movies) plot together. It made it confusing and it wasn't as scary as the previous movies. On a good note, it manages to explain Elise's gift. If you're a fan of the trilogy watch it only because it explains the beginnings, I guess
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
NOT A BAD ONE
gvivekanandg5 January 2018
Movie not so scary, but in some place you will jump out of your chair because of the sound effect, story quite confusing and completely varies from the previous versions, as usual not lengthy movie so acceptable to spend some time for entertainment portion of your daily life, DON'T MISS THE FIRST SCENE which is far good than other scenes.. Worth watch in BIG screen, so watch soon.
20 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Movie Just For This Franchise's Fans
www.ramascreen.com3 January 2018
INSIDIOUS: THE LAST KEY has enough effective scares to keep the fans entertained but it will not bring in new converts though. It's not the best installment out of the entire franchise but it's a decent prequel that serves its purpose and that is to put further spotlight on the legacy of one of horror genre's most underrated icons, actress Lin Shaye.

Brought to you by the same creative minds behind "Insidious" trilogy, this fourth installment, Insidious: The Last Key takes you back to the beginning, to the family history of renowned parapsychologist, Dr. Elise Rainer and how the haunting in her own family home has returned with a vengeance. It is up to Elise and her spectral sighting team to defeat this demon once and for all.

Even though Insidious: The Last Key is directed by somebody new to the franchise, Adam Robitel, much of the style follows suit with its predecessors, so in a way, this movie is very formulaic, the objective is the same which is to present to you a big bad villain in a form of a demon at the end of the story and that's not really a spoiler because the other movies did the same thing. Because this is a prequel, it takes its time in setting the whole thing up in terms of Elise's family and the abuse she and her brother endured when they were kids. This part, these flashbacks are just as creepy, if not creepier than what's happening in the present day with Elise trying to communicate with spirits in the dark.

By the way, actress Lin Shaye has been in this business and specifically has been part of this genre forever, so as a fan, it really is cool to see a movie like this that allows her to showcase her all, that gives her room and space to do what she does best, in a way, they might as well have titled this movie, Insidious The Lin Shaye lifetime achievement award.

I actually enjoyed how the film presents Elise's background, the whole theme of it kinda resonates with any kid who grows up feeling different and the parents try to beat it out of you instead of helping you embrace your specialty and uniqueness. So that approach does help in making you empathize with Elise which is an effective strategy in any horror film because the jump scares can only do so much, what's truly scary is when you feel scared for the safety of the characters whose journey you've been following, and that's what Insidious: The Last Key offers. I'm also mildly amused by the comic relief of Leigh Whannell and Angus Sampson who play Elise's sidekicks, granted some of the humor does feel a bit dumb but they mean well, so it's one of those that just make you shake your head and dismiss them as immature children. Insidious The Last Key is scary enough, it's entertaining enough for the fans, it's a popcorn horror thriller you'd want to take your girlfriend to see just so that she can curl up next to you when she feels squeamish, this really is a movie just for the fans of the franchise, and despite some of its few ridiculous scenes, I think overall they're going to be grateful that this installment exists.

-- Rama's Screen --
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Solid Horror Film
Páiric O'Corráin22 January 2018
Insidious Four: The Last Key: Still a prequel to the Lambert adventures but this time Elise Rainer goes back to where it all began - the house where she was raised and first encountered otherworldly entities. With Specs and Tucker in tow she has to deal with a troublesome ghost which is driving the present owner of the house crazy.

The contemporary action is interspersed with flashbacks to Elise's childhood, the strange death of her mother and her teenage years when she finally fled from her abusive father. There is far more than haunting going on in the house and a serial killer is uncovered as the malevolent spirit continues to persecute Elise. Elise has a difficult reunion with the brother she abandoned 50 years ago and his daughters also come under attack from the demon. Other demons have to be faced up to as the true story of her younger life is revealed.

Some shocks, a bit of gore, good special effects and a coherent script lined with a vein of humour makes this a solid Horror Film. 7/10
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An Atrocious Horror Film to Start off 2018
Yee_Reviews5 January 2018
Good: For the most part, the acting is decent with Lin Shaye's calm and pleasant presence performing exceptionally well for 74 years old. The intro is engaging and suspenseful, but as the movie unfolds, it falls apart...

Bad: Some of the worst writing I have seen from the convoluted story with confusing plot points to the unfunny humor. The movie tries to pull twists and turns, but most of them do not make sense logically and end up being confusing. For 103 minutes, the movie tends to drag due to a lack coherence and ineffective scares.

Overall: Shaye cannot hold up the messy and sloppy writing. As a fan of the Insidious series, I felt this to be an outlier and desperately fail at being an adequate entry into the series.

1.5/5
30 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
total shit
karlaallamaa17 January 2018
Nearly fell asleep and spent the entire film trying to work out what the song stuck in my head was and i forgot it was a horror film, waste of money
30 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scared The Hell Out Of Us
theopinionatedindian5 January 2018
Insidious: The Last Key is the fourth installment of hit franchise. While the first two movies revolve around Josh Lambert & family. The third & fourth installments mainly revolve around Elise Rainier & her encounters with supernatural elements. The movie starts off in the year 1953. Elise Rainier (Ava Kolker) is a young girl, who stays with her brother & parents. She has this innate gift/curse of seeing ghosts & speaking to them. While her mother understands her situation & is compassionate towards her, her father is completely annoyed with this weird ability. A childhood incident leads to disastrous results. Elise Rainier leaves her home & starts life afresh away from her family. She then grows up to be an accomplished ghost buster. Several years later, she gets a call from the new occupant of her house. The new occupant has been facing the wrath of the supernatural forces lurking in his house. He hopes that Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye) will help him out. Psychic Elise is joined by her two sidekicks (watch the movie to get the joke) - Tucker (Angus Sampson) & Specs (Leigh Whannell). These two are the comic relief in the movie. What follows is a series of spooky incidents, which will keep you at the edge of your seats. The movie does have its share of emotional scenes. Family reunions post several years, strength of a mother's love for her kids are aspects on which the makers rely on to create an emotional bond with the viewers. There are enough twists & turns to keep you guessing. There were some twists, which no one can probably see coming. The script follows the usual crest & trough pattern. There are a few scenes which take the story further, followed by some horror scenes & again some scenes to take the story further. Thankfully, there are more crests than troughs. The horror quotient in this movie is very high. It did manage to scare us & the effects did manage to startle us. The movie is scarier than the latest movie from the Annabelle series. Producer James Wan is truly a genius. His collaboration with Leigh Whannell has always managed to impress us. Leigh Whannell acts, scripts & produces the movie as well. Music by Joseph Bishara does manage to accentuate the effect of the horror scenes. The acting by the cast is good. There are no flaws in the movie to speak of. Although we were a tad unhappy with the way the movie ended. The ending could have been scripted better. But, we strongly recommend this movie to all horror movie aficionados. Do watch it at a theatre near you!
30 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Last Key Unlocks More Answers, Fewer Scares, and More References For Franchise Fans
rgkarim5 January 2018
My scores:

Horror/Mystery/Thriller: 7.5 Movie Overall: 6.0

LIKES:

Characters Story Creep Factor

Dislikes: Dropped plot points Anticlimactic Ending Missing Trailer scenes

Summary: A fourth installment usually means a low-quality movie that is strictly for merchandising and money making. However, Insidious 4, while not the best of the series, keeps the tradition of horror storytelling alive by focusing on plot and character development rather than just plain old scares that the genre is famous for. Elise's backstory is fascinating, and helps connect some elements that were once shrouded in the mists of the unknown, and is presented nicely as past is integrated with present. In addition, while not the scariest, the group does a fantastic job utilizing shadows, make-up, and sound editing to establish a creep factor that will keep you on edge. All of this come together to make a nice mystery/horror that is worthy of the series. Yet, the fourth installment still has its flaws primarily in the scare tactics, (e.g. jump scare tactics) have gotten old despite their attempts to tune it up. In addition, the plot had some dropped and rushed elements, alongside an anticlimactic wrap up, that took away from the story overall. In addition, there are a lot of scenes from the trailers missing, some of which really could have added on to the story, or allowed for more creepy makeup to be used. Overall, this movie is a solid entry in the series and answers some of those lingering questions we have had since the whole prequel component was started. Yet, it does establish new questions and drops on the finish that could have really made the story exponentially better. And while the scare tactics are getting somewhat stale, Insidious is at least managing to keep things creepy and relevant to a point instead of just a super scare fest that this genre is famous for. It's worth a trip to the theater for the franchise fans, however, you can wait this out for the home cinema to save yourselves money.

Want more details? Please visit:

Https://robbiesmoviereviews.wordpress.com/last-key-unlocks-more-answers-more-questions-and-fewer-scares/
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scariest thing is I sat through it all!
PiAnt19 March 2018
What story there was was dreadfully slow and convoluted, and bore little resemblance to the original.

Nothing about it was scary at all save for the mild "suitcase" jump when we were all expecting the baddie to be behind the case not in it.

I have no idea how some people can say this was scary unless they've never seen another "horror" movie in their lives.

Absolute and utter rubbish.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just as, if not worse, than the previous entry, this fourth chapter confirms that life is fast running out of the "Insidious" franchise
moviexclusive4 January 2018
Few horror franchises have found life beyond their third chapter, and "Insidious" proves no different.

Picking up right after the events of "Insidious: Chapter 3", this fourth entry further (pun intended) explores the backstory of demonologist Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye), who was murdered in a memorable twist at the end of the first film. Here, Elise is first introduced as a young girl living in a foreboding two-storey house on the outskirts of a New Mexico prison in 1952 where her stern father (Josh Stewart) works as a prison guard. Turns out that Elise already had a gift (or curse, depending on which way you look at it) for seeing ghosts then, but when she disobeys her father's order to deny her paranormal abilities, he locks her in the basement. It is there she first encounters this movie's demon - a tall lanky beast with old-timey keys for fingers - and unknowingly unlocks a mysterious red door for the monster to cross over into our world.

Back in the present day, Elise receives a phone call from a stranger who asks for her help with the ghosts in his house. That house turns out to be her childhood home, and despite her initial reservations at literally revisiting past demons, she eventually musters up the courage to confront what she recognises she had previously unleashed. It helps that she isn't alone; thanks to the events in the last movie, she is now accompanied by a pair of dopey sidekicks Tucker (Angus Sampson) and Specs (Leigh Whannell). To be sure, their signature high-tech gizmos aren't of much use (certainly much less than they were in the first two movies), so their presence is really as comic relief - like Tucker loves to repeat, "She's psychic; we're sidekick."

What distinguished "Insidious" from other haunted-house movies was its creation of 'The Further', a terrifying place between life and death that exists on a different realm from ours where evil spirits trapped not just the souls of the dead but also those who were able to project themselves astrally while asleep. Elise was established to be one such individual, and it isn't reasonable that she would quickly return to 'The Further' in order to seek out the entity which had terrorised her and is terrorising the house's current inhabitant as well as the spirits she sees around the property. But Whannell, who had written every one of the "Insidious" movies, has other intentions; in fact, the middle act sees Elise come face-to-face with a different real-life horror, which while well-intentioned, is not nearly as developed as it needs to be and is hardly as interesting as the ghouls of 'The Further'. Only in the final act does Elise finally return to that purgatory, but that homecoming is over too fast, too soon and too conveniently, almost as if it were simply an afterthought to form a narrative bridge into the first movie.

Even though the earlier 'Insidious' films had similarly spare scripts, they benefited from the taut direction of James Wan, who knew how to build perfectly good scares with icy dread. Unfortunately, series newcomer Adam Robitel doesn't quite have the same knack. Not only is he able to generate the same atmosphere as Wan did, Robitel often betrays his own lack of confidence by resorting to the sort of jump-cuts which quickly tire out. This being his sophomore feature, he also lacks the experience to properly smooth over the rough edges of Whannell's writing - in particular, the parts intended to be poignant, such as Elise's estrangement from her skittish younger brother Christian (Bruce Davison), come off feeling contrived and sit awkwardly with the rest of the parts designed to frighten.

Ultimately, it is Shaye who holds the rickety film together, portraying Elise with just the right balance of vulnerability and fearlessness. While it may seem opportunistic that the "Insidious" series goes down the same road as "The Conjuring" (by using the same parapsychologist(s) across its entries), Shaye very much holds her own as the film's septuagenarian heroine. That said, it is not quite nearly enough to reinvigorate the franchise itself, which seems imprisoned in its own creative limits and cannot quite go any further (that's another pun, fully intended). Perhaps its title is ominous of its fate, and even if 'The Last Key' isn't the last we hear of "Insidious", then the next chapter better have a much more compelling raison d'être.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly Great!
kelleyjoshua3 January 2018
First of all, I've been watching Insidious since it first came out. I. like the first 2, not so much with the third 1. However, this film surprised me with characters from the original film. I'd suggest this film to any horror lover.
19 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spooky and Scary
Claudio Carvalho22 March 2018
The parapsychologist Dr. Elise Rainier (Lin Shaye) has nightmares with her childhood in New Mexico, where she lived with her brother Christian, her supportive mother Audrey (Tessa Ferrer) and her father Gerald (Josh Stewart), who frequently beats her when she claims that she sees ghosts everywhere in the house. When the client Ted Garza (Kirk Acevedo) calls Elise to ask for help since he is haunted since he moved to a house in New Mexico, Elise refuses the request since the address is the same house where she spent her childhood. However she changes her mind and accepts the job, and travels with her assistants Specs (Leigh Whannell) and Tucker (Angus Sampson) to New Mexico where they will discover an evil entity in the house.

"Insidious: The Last Key" is another spooky and scary film of this successful franchise. This ghost story is entwined with family drama of Elise and startles the viewer in many scenes. The touch of humor to break the tension is given by Tucker and Specs. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Sobrenatural: A Última Chave" ("Supernatural: The Last Key")
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Amazing fourth edition into the franchise! More scares than ever!
hkdestiny3 January 2018
Firstly, I would like to say that Elise is such a crucial part of this film and I couldn't have related more with anyone but her. I love her role in this. Always outstanding! The storyline is solid with characters that you can connect with and the scares DO FOLLOW! Best way to start your 2018 off with this spooky and very scary film!
34 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Is it a comedy movie?
David Aniston8 January 2018
Good story, good acting and great connections with the other ones. I hated the comedy, it is supposed to be scary. Get Rid of the fat guy.
20 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as bad as People are Saying
jackson-3241528 January 2018
I went and saw this movie when it came out, and really enjoyed myself. I had previously only seen the first Insidious movie, but I had zero confusion as to what was happening. The character development was nothing special, but I thought that the character Elise was very well done, and the actress did an incredible job. I enjoyed the scares, they were still a little cheesy the way Insidious was, but it scared me enough!

Great ending to a fun series.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worth watching!
sreeram-970465 January 2018
According to my personal experience, the movie seemed pretty much amazing and i would recommend this movie to all those horror movie fans. Although the story line aint that thick, they managed to cover all the flaws with the brilliant acting from Lin Shaye and her so called associates. Enjoyed it! and yeah, cool start to 2k18.
22 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really good, intense
tiffanydburgett6 January 2018
It seems to me the reviewers giving this movie a poor rating don't even care for the franchise. Like a lot of James Wan movies there is a back story that ties in incredibly well to the other movies. It is about as scary as the others. My husband thought it was done very similarly to the third installment. My favorite is the second one and this is my second favorite in terms of story and fear factor so that will hopefully be helpful to those who are trying to decide on seeing it or not.
15 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A disgrace to the Insidious franchise!
jacobkilby-735607 January 2018
This was quite easily the worst Insidious movie yet. If anything, it felt more like a movie from the "Scary Movie" franchise than one from the "Insidious" franchise. By this, I mean that they essentially tried to combine a comedy and a horror movie together. Not only that, but the storyline was all over the place and the acting was horrendous. To summarize, it was basically a really bad comedy movie with a few jump scares in it. Whatever happened to Insidious actually being scary? Would highly suggest skipping this one.
12 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As much as I like Elise...I don't like all the Corny Cheese. Ruined by Last 15 Minutes.
MickandRorty12 January 2018
This movie attempts to give a backstory to the face of the Insidious franchise, Elise. It was okay for most of the way through. At times sloppy, but it was decent enough through the first 85% of the movie. Then, it actually took a crazy turn that was brilliant that lasted for about 5 minutes....only to be completely ruined by the last 15 minutes.

A better metaphor for this film would be to say:

They were cramming too much slop into this movie. And, just when you thought they were actually going to pull it off and seal the lid with a satisfactory ending...they slipped and all the sloppy corny cheese spilled everywhere. A vomit-worthy finish to the series!

A shame too, because with another rewrite there was definitely some good elements in here.

When it wraps up, you won't even know how to feel about certain characters in this movie. Villain or victim? Who knows? Who cares.... this franchise has lost me at this point. As much as I like Elise...I don't like all the cheese!

8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful movie for a date
yu lo22 January 2018
I saw this with my sweetheart. It was not too scary, but just scary enough for her to want to hold my hand throughout. While some parts are a bit confusing, it seems to come together in the end.
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I had a blast
Diegoandres_cortes6 January 2018
I'm a fan of insidious series and this one is probably the worst one. But hey, at least you can make fun of a lot of stuff in the movie. I really enjoyed some of the jumpscares and I a couple of the hundreds of twists they threw. Also loved the laughs I had with this atrocious movie, go watch it if you like the insidious series but keep in mind you are going for the laughs and the sake of it
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this