Cold Pursuit (2019) Poster

(2019)

Why boycott?
shammaarb-4737919 February 2019
There were social media movements to boycott the movie due to Liam Neeson's comments about what he did 40 years ago after his friend was raped. Two of my workmates decided not to support his movies anymore.

This doesn't make sense to me because Liam Neeson wasnt "exposed" - it wasn't dug up by someone else. He personally related the story in the context of saying why those thoughts are destructive and wrong.

But their decision, their loss.

About the movie...

It's certainly not what I expected but as other reviews have said, once you understand what they were going for it becomes very enjoyable. Don't expect Taken 4 (or 3...how many did they make?) - It's more like Fargo. If you liked the movie or the TV show, this is right up your alley.
174 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was expecting something awful, boy was I misled
orlando-somera9 February 2019
Liam Neeson has the kind of no nonsense persona that is called for here. He's just a pleasure to imagine in dangerous situations, and in this story he's aided by some of the most palpable supporting performances I've seen lately. Some of my favorites were Tom Jackson as White Bull, Tom Bateman as Viking, Emmy Rossum as Kim, Julia Jones as the wife and I could go on, all these people and more are a delight and give the movie flavor and texture.

I found this film as entertaining as any I've seen lately. I understand it's a remake of a foreign film, well, they've done a great job Americanizing it. It falls slighltly apart bu the end but by then it's earned a pass.
95 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Film Once You Understand Its Intention, With a Beautifully Surreal Depiction of Denver
dogmaticdogs9 February 2019
This film was not what I was expecting but once I understood and came to grips with the fact it was a dark comedy, in a Fargo-esque sort of way, and a parody of revenge killing films, rather than meant to be taken seriously other than for its beautiful absurdity, I started to really enjoy it.

The whole movie was fun escapism with gratuitous violence, and hyper-exaggerated cliché portrayals of Native Americans, crime bosses and average men being local heroes, etc. Not to mention an exponentially growing kill tally. What is not to love?

It was a special treat for those of us that live in Denver, as although much of the movie was supposed to take place here, none of the neighborhoods, architecture, streets, buildings, trees, landscaping, mountain ranges, etc. matched anything close to what really exists in Denver. I spent the entire movie looking for something I could place as actually being in Denver, but I came up empty. Instead, a totally fictitious version thereof was portrayed (too surreal to match any actual city I am aware of, but closer to a blend of the more affluent parts of Los Angeles and Vancouver than Denver, with world class architecture and night clubs) which fit in perfectly with the artfully crafted alternative universe intended to be created. Like the bizarre relationships between the characters, I slowly began to realize that what first appeared to be a sloppy annoyance was in fact an intentional critique of the genre and actually a quite clever game with the audience.

Many will undoubtedly knock this film for being unrealistic, absurd, over the top, culturally insensitive, and with settings that did not match named cities (at least those such as Denver that actually exist). Those people just failed to see that was the entire point. You shouldn't go in expecting to see realism, complex character development, suspense and drama, or something akin to Taken. Instead, go in expecting to see a dark comedy parody film. Think Fargo meets Peppermint, with a wink to Quentin Tarantino in honor of his impact on modern cinema.
144 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it. Hilarious
kirbycat210 February 2019
Went to see a popcorn flick. Laughed out loud at the Fargo style humor. I want to drive my car into a chandelier Persian carpet style garage. Loved the credits. Very different. Macabe. It's really dark. Not your typical Liam Neeson flick.
89 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the typical Neeson fare in a great way!
SciFighter9 February 2019
I was expecting the typical Neeson flick which I love, Laim Neeson, Keanu Reeves with John Wick there are not many of those old type action guys still around making good movies, luckly Laim Neeson is one who does. This is a good mix of comedy and action, I found all the actors in this did a great job. The whole cast brought this flick together, led of course by the man of action Neeson. Just go in kick back and get ready to lose a few hours with some enjoyment watching this flick.
96 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a typical Neeson thriller
eclarkdog9 February 2019
One of the best times at the movies in quite a while. Had no idea this movie had been released, and went to the theatre today to catch "Glass" before it left. However, I was a bit too late for that one and noticed the new Neeson movie.

Theatre was surprisingly quite full and the crowd obviously had a good time. "Cold Pursuit" is a semi-serious thriller that is in a way a sort of spoof of past Neeson flicks and the genre. A lot of dark humor here, and the movie almost goes off the rails with it by the end. One movie that comes to mind is "In Bruge", where the violence is very much a part of the humor. Smart, funny, and dark..with a touch of class to boot. A slight nod to past Coen Brothers' films I think as well - at least in feel and atmosphere.

Many deaths here, not always on camera, and the movie even does you a favor of tallying it up for you in a funny way. (note the religious symbols with each death card)

Liam is billed as the star, of course, and events surrounding him obviously serve as a catalyst to what unfolds along the way. However, this movie is not all about him being front and center as his typical past thrillers have been. Really great cast here and the scenery is cast member in its own right.

The two flaws in the movie, in my opinion, was not fully realizing the story of the two cops played by Emmy Rossum and John Dorman, especially Rossum. Also, the movie ultimately seems to lose track a bit on event that set everything in motion - Coxman's (Neeson) murdered son.

Still, the movie's end was pretty satisfying nonetheless. Definitely as must see for fans of Neeson and dark humor.
53 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beware, it's more like a Guy Ritchie movie than Taken; still very good and rewatchable
thebricks9 February 2019
Saw a lot of older people who probably were expecting a movie like Taken where drug dealers get taken down and killed by a dad out for vengeance. Beware, it's not the movie you think it is. The trailer basically committed some of the most blatant fraud I've seen in Hollywood, ever. Once I knew what I was getting into, the movie got very enjoyable. For people expecting a typical revenge movie, they were probably very, very unhappy.

I will probably buy this movie when it comes out, simply because it deserves it. I can rewatch this a few more times. Yes, some things were predictable, but I think much of it was intentional, right down to Liam Neeson's casting and his reputation. It's a satire of these sorts of action movies.

I actually think this movie is deserving of a Best Movie nomination but I know that will never happen. It was very well-done, kudos to the people who made the film. Very original. Yes, I know this was based on a foreign movie that is a few years old, thank you.
93 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cool action drama that's definitely worth watching on the big screen!
Prashast_Singh8 February 2019
Cold Pursuit is an intense, blackly funny action drama!

It has got great action sequences, a tinge of dark humor and an unconventional revenge story.

If you're a fan of the action genre, I'd recommend you this beautifully shot Liam Neeson actioner.

Cold Pursuit is unlike a typical revenge flick. It's more of an action drama than an action thriller, and even though there aren't too many twists and turns, the plot is kept alive by the stylish action, terrific performances and the beautiful snowy scenery.

I was kinda surprised to know that the director also made the original film, In Order of Disappearance. Yet to see that one but Cold Pursuit is a pretty solid entertainer, especially for fans of Liam Neeson's action movies.

Cold Pursuit, on the whole, is an entertaining action drama that speaks volumes about revenge without actually being too loud. Given that winter's not yet over, it's really worth a visit to the cinemas.
59 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved this movie - thriller plus humour!
KathleenK227 February 2019
Quick paced, humourous and great acting. It is a while since I have enjoyed a movie this much. A variety of actors played great roles and Liam Neeson was excellent. I liked how everything was not spelled out for you but it all came together nicely with a satisfying conclusion. The alternate name for the film explains some of the comedy. The time flew which is another test of an engrossing movie. I like this genre and when you add some humour you can usually expect a great result when done well and this film achieves that. You laugh when it should be inappropriate to do so. The violence is not too graphic as well. It hit the mark for me. Hope others enjoy it as well as I did. My husband thoroughly enjoyed this film as well.
66 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nobody Does It Better! Liam Neeson can do no wrong!
onceshy9 February 2019
I haven't enjoyed a movie so much in a good while! With Liam Neeson as the lead, I was anticipating a great movie, but it far surpassed my expectations! The dark comedy reminded me of my all-time favorite "Fargo," a very enjoyable roller coaster ride right out of the gate, artfully combining action, gore with humor. The drug lords that Liam set his sights on killing were no match for his character, a man of few spoken words, who dished out a heaping plate of cold revenge, taking them down one by one. But all of the actors/characters in this movie played into the story and made it so enjoyable. Tom Bateman played the wily villain you love to hate, and made the film a thrilling ride, and was itching to see him get his due. A very satisfying movie, with great directing...this one gives your money's worth, for sure!
57 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very well done. Liam at his best. Gorgeous scenery and the plot is intense. Great movie!.
clhuie9 February 2019
Liam is better than ever!! Definitely a great movie. Suspenseful and keeps you on the edge of your seat!!
43 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Revenge is best served cold"
wwwranga7 February 2019
No over showoff for hero,Not too powerful villain, its a genuine revenge movie.well directed.
65 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revenge served swift and cold!
vincentmasonry9 February 2019
Loved this film for what it was...pure action with a side of dark humor. Highly recommend for genuine entertainment. (On a side note: For those boycotting film for something Liam said in interviews please remember the old saying.."people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.")
50 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a good movie!
anmanolakou10 February 2019
Finally a good movie after a long time...! I loved the fast plot and the good ending. It is one of the few movies thathas kept me at the edge of my seat. Great Liam Neeson and great direction!
41 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good!
Kostagon6667 February 2019
It is the classic movie you expect Liam to play in however the whole vibe of the movie and the different characters bring a nice twist to the whole scenario. Thank you for the gag scene it means a lot really
50 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good job.
nitevision-8143110 February 2019
Black comedy. Loved it. Great action. Story keeps morphing. Don't know why Laura Dern was in it at all.
35 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's the same director as the original movie!
jonahetheredge9 February 2019
There are reviews on here critiquing the movie for being a copy of the original, asking questions like is it legal for them to recreate this movie. Well it's the same director and writer so that was completely irrelevant. The director has simply decided to make an English version of his film.
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie
saudalareefi117 February 2019
It's really funny and action a perfect combination
47 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny
tedgar4411 February 2019
I was expecting a thriller like the "Taken" movies. But no, it was not. It was funny and sarcastic but still totally entertaining. Something a mix of Deadpool and " things to do in Denver when you are dead'
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More like disappearance of focus
piggulu9 February 2019
Starts out really good, with Neeson as the usual man on a mission and exacting brutal vengeance on a few men. But after that it shifts attention to too many needless people, mainly for comedic effect, but apparently to advance the story by inches to avoid Neeson's character from appearing to be too powerful to get things done alone. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work here since these side events don't feel parallel to the main story or interesting. For example, a female cop, portrayed as eager and hard-nosed, is constantly discovering bits of info related Neeson's son death, even confronting him out of the blue about it, appearing suspicious of him for some reason, but nothing ever happens after that. What was the point? Then the 2nd half really gets dragged on by too much forced attention on the Native Americans and the same old "white men took everything" story (I don't want to sound insensitive but it was too out of place), and a kid that would've been better off staying on the sidelines.

I had relatively high hopes for this movie, and was left disappointed.
50 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An entertaining vigilante film with most of the usual enjoyment that can be had with Neeson in the lead
MrDHWong7 February 2019
Cold Pursuit is an action thriller film starring Liam Neeson. Based on the Norwegian movie "In Order of Disappearance", it is an entertaining vigilante film with most of the usual enjoyment that can be had with Neeson in the lead.

In the snowy Colorado town of Kehoe, Nels Coxman (Liam Neeson) works as a snowplow driver clearing the roads for passing motorists. One day, Nels' son Kyle suddenly dies from an apparent heroin overdose, despite him not having any history with drugs. Suspecting foul play, Nels decides to take matters into his own hands to find out what was really responsible for killing his son, and inadvertently becomes involved in a bloody feud between two violent gangs.

With Liam Neeson as his typical one-man-army self, Cold Pursuit is a fast paced action fare with an interesting enough story to move things along nicely. Although Neeson is the film's lead actor, it is Tom Bateman as the film's main antagonist who steals the show in every scene he is in. His sleazy, unhinged performance was so unpredictable that it was always intriguing to see what he would do next. The one main problem with the film is that it does not balance its comedy and drama that well. Normally with black comedies like Fargo or In Bruges, there would always be solid comic relief to counteract any scenes of brutal violence or emotional severity. Unfortunately, this film is only sporadically funny, and this lack of humour makes the serious moments feel harsh and unpleasant. This may come down to the way the story has been adapted from its Norwegian source material to suit American audiences, as some of the film's Scandinavian quirkiness would have likely been lost in translation. With that said, Cold Pursuit is still worth seeing for fans of Liam Neeson effortlessly plowing through his enemies by himself (pun intended).

I rate it 7/10
42 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy is Serious Business
scbaxter201417 February 2019
Who wants to play a game of "Who is Comfortable Enough with Their Sense of Humor to be the First One to Laugh?" Cold Pursuit masquerades as an action/drama when it is actually a very dark comedy; and that's the point. It doesn't pander to those who don't get it (which I have to admit was me from time to time). Each character is deep, vibrant, (funny) and pivotal in some way and Neason's character conveys a simplicity that keeps you grounded through his adventure. You'll have a great time if you go into this movie with no expectations and inhibitions freed. This movie is a low and slow boil that is all about the journey and not the destination. My one criticism would have to be a pacing issue in the second act- but that's a bit knit-picky. This movie is exactly what it's trying to be.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you can't see the humor unless it's spelled out for you, don't watch this
Jesus....some of the negative reviews - Do some of you realize that this IS NOT a rip off of the European version? It's the SAME DIRECTOR!!! OMG.

But aside from that it's a very well done, smartly paced, creatively casted and well acted movie. It's also self-aware. Think Scream vs. Halloween or what have you. It's a send up on the typical Liam Neeson revenge flick but it's also a very good standalone Liam Neeson revenge film!

Check your expectations at the door and enjoy. I promise you will.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever and funny if you pay attention
miningbrats11 February 2019
We two 70+ women expected a Liam Neeson shoot em up but instead we found a movie that was quick, funny, and with a simple arc. The title was a simile for the response of the bereaved father and quirky elements were everywhere, from a blank good-bye note, to Yelp-savvy Ute drug runners. It just went on and on! Right down to the death representations over each dead druggie, Christian, Jewish etc. A very cleverly crafted movie without Hollywood flourishes. Excellent writing, design and casting. Thanks so much!!
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie!
amandahall-2499327 February 2019
I thought this movie was excellent. I liked the plot of the film, the humor had myself and the audience laughing and lots of action. Liam Neeson acting was spectacular as always as we're the gangsters and the Indians. I would watch it again, and have recommended others to go see it.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.