Home Again (2017) Poster

(2017)

Fluffy and Forgettable
popcorninhell7 September 2017
Home Again is one of those movies that's easy to like and easy to forget. It's amateurish, the characters are flat and one-dimensional and the story is practically a celebration in vapidity and contrivance. Despite this, there's not a mean bone in Home Again's body. There's lightness to it. It's boring but charming in much the same way the interior of a Pier 1 is.

Reese Witherspoon stars as Alice Kinney, a recently separated mother of two who has returned to her childhood home in California to start over. Her mother (Bergen) and deceased father were once considered Hollywood royalty; a fact that three young potential filmmakers (Wolff, Alexander, Rudnitsky) go positively gaga for when they meet her at a bar celebrating her 40th birthday. Blah, blah, blah the three end up moving into the guest house. The estranged husband (Sheen) shows up later making four and Reese Witherspoon tries to cobble together a life amid the chaos.

Did I say chaos, I meant unrealistically utopian equilibrium. Alice and her brother-husbands seem to have little scruples about living in a house together. This is in large part because they don't display any of the negative attributes of a regular human being. Stubbornness becomes selflessness and possessiveness is painted like enamored school boy crushes. Most of the external conflicts exist despite the setup and all the internal conflicts have the undemanding clarity of a children's storybook. To top it all off we're given the comparable setting of a 30's screwball comedy, vis a vis an expansive Hollywood villa, ensuring that the prime demographic will finally have a respite from the grave, emotionally challenging story arcs of The Gilmore Girls (2000-2007).

The movie takes its reverse Three's Company (1976-1984) setup exactly where you think it's going to go. At one point one of Alice's friend's muses that she has 24-hour childcare, tech support and sex all under one roof. Because the children are around, the dynamic stays as pallid and PG as it can, with focus being constantly siphoned off into unnecessary subplots. These subplots provide the few moments of character development for the three boys, but once they're living and interacting in Alice's quaint Spanish style abode, it becomes clear that the main reason for them being in this movie is to be a plot device.

This is where, if you read way too much into it like I did, you get to the good stuff. If viewed through a specific lens, Home Again could be seen as an examination of modern gender relations. At 40, Alice struggles with never truly finding the complete package – a handsome man who can exhibit maturity, meet obligations, provide economic stability, and healthy emotional growth for her and her children while seeing Alice as an equal. This point is further highlighted by the fact that she idolizes her father despite him not exactly being a prize either. So instead of compromising she compartmentalizes. She fits the guys in this film into boxes of positive traits and for the most part, they fit them, at least until the plot deems this equilibrium is no longer stable.

Obviously this line of thought coaxes a lot of interesting questions about masculinity, femininity and modern relationships. But using this movie as a starting point for such a discussion is like reading Tarot through McDonalds Monopoly tokens. This movie isn't Antonia's Line (1995) it's Sweet Home Alabama (2002); which is to say a fluffy and forgettable piece of popular entertainment.

That said Home Again is not all that unpleasant to sit through, in large part because Witherspoon knows exactly how to move sugary confections like this. She proves effortlessly charming and despite some bad editing and awkward staging, Home Again glides on the power of her gossamer wings to give us a moderately entertaining distraction. See it if you must.
40 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The very essence of a bad movie
mitchel198616 October 2017
It's beyond comprehension how bad this movie is. Yes, that's an exaggeration...but this is a review so I'm allowed to exaggerate a little bit right?

I saw this at a sneak preview. During the break, when 80% of the people had already left the theater, people started clapping their hands out of misery...wondering why they were there.

Story: three young movie makers to be crash at Reese Witherspoons (guest)house, while they play with the big boys of Hollywood to turn their short movie into a big one. In the meantime, they fill the void in Reese's life in terms of sex, cooking, nannying and ICTing.

And THIS is why this movie should me avoided at all costs:

• Flat, one-dimensional characters

• A brainfart of a story

• A typical unrealistic Hollywood fantasy without any comedy

• What's up with all the sitting around the table and laughing scenes?

• A fat Martin Sheen in a stupid role (this one doesn't really count but it bothered me)

• How in EARTHS name does Reese pay for things? It's daddy's house, OK. But how does she pay for all her sh*t? Going out to dinner with friends, having a macbook, raising two kids and driving a bl**dy Volvo XC90 T6? Without a (steady) job?? Only in Hollywood fantasyland!

I wonder what the target group for this movie is. Here, in Holland, we are way too 'down to earth' for these kind of movies (yes, that's a flaw too).

And for all of you calling this 'lighthearted' and 'sweet', shame on you! By allowing yourself to believe that THIS is an OK movie, we as audience set the bar sub-zero for Hollywood bag boy's.

It's forgettable, utter rubbish and it hurts the eyes (to end with exaggeration again).
49 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's bad, no I mean it, it's really bad
singe5944 September 2017
Let me preface this by say that I love movies, I'm not a movie snob by any stretch. I particularly love Rom-Coms and have been disappointed that they have fallen out of favor over the last decade or so. Some of my favorite movies are cheesy Rom-Coms; Never Been Kissed, 13 Going on 30, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Holiday and even Ghost of Girlfriends Past.

I saw this film as a pre-screener ahead of it's official release. Sometimes they pre-screen movies because they are great and want them to get buzz, sometimes they are really bad, and hope the audience falls in love before the critics get their hands on it. This is bad, really bad. Not just in story, but in acting, directing, editing score; you name it, it's bad. I love Reese Witherspoon and never thought I would see her phone in a performance but here it is. She doesn't so much as act as rolls her eyes and makes goofy faces; it's embarrassing to watch. There are so many cast members here that usually can do no wrong in my book; Candice Bergen, Lake Bell, Michael Sheen. They are given nothing to work with and Michael Sheen's character is nothing more than a cartoon. Nat Wolff is up and coming; I've seen him in a few things and think he's generally pretty good. Thanks to the very poor editing you can see him laughing in two scenes where he's clearly not supposed to be.

The whole film is just embarrassingly bad. You know the movie Mother's Day, how "bad" that is? It looks like an Oscar winning film compared to this. I looked up the movie after the screening, curious how it went so wrong. It's written and directed by Nancy Myer's daughter. Her daughter seems to have no credentials to be able to sell and direct a movie so my thought is that there were a lot of favors and strings pulled and it shows. I wouldn't even recommend watching this movie if you were sick in bed and it happened to pop up on TV.
89 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Stinking Pile From Start to Finish
keithlgoode15 September 2017
Where do I begin? The very first scene, with Reece Witherspoon crying in the mirror because she's 40 is the perfect metaphor for this movie. It's the story about a shallow family who bring 3 shallow men into their home, and nothing changes. Nothing is better. Nothing is worse.

At the beginning of the movie, Reece's character is separated from her husband. They're getting a divorce, but he plans to move to L.A. to be near the kids. By the end of the movie, he lives in L.A. to be near the kids, and they're still getting a divorce.

At the beginning of the movie, the 3 pointless men are trying to get their movie made in L.A. By the end of the movie, they're still trying to get it made.

Between the beginning and the end of the movie, there are lots of scenes of white people, sitting around a table, eating food and drinking wine ... and laughing a lot. I mean, really. They laugh a lot. About what?, you may ask. I don't know. There's music playing over the conversations.

Okay. The main conflict? I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what it was. I know there was a scene where Reece invites her boy-fling out to dinner the next night, and he tells her that he already has plans (a meeting with a producer to get funds for his movie), but he'll make it to her little dinner with her friends. Where, by the way, they sit around the table, drinking wine, eating, and laughing a lot. Except Reece, who is sighing and staring at the empty chair beside her ... or at her phone, where she's able to read up-to-the-minute text updates from boy-fling. "Hey, they just ordered more rounds." "Hey, sorry, this is going longer than expected." ... And the next morning, she's just so devastated that he didn't break away from his meeting with a Hollywood producer to attend her little laughing soiree that she just has to tearfully end it.

Apparently, there are also no people of color in L.A.. I was really surprised. I thought there would be some Latinos in the background, maybe a black person at the restaurant. No. No POCs. Except one scene in which a black guy brings the 3 bros a pizza and doesn't get tipped. Go figure.

The writing was terrible. The acting was so flat and uninspiring that I'm pretty sure someone's career will be ended by this movie. And in the end, I didn't even get to see any resolution to a story.

The only scene I could relate to was Reece crying in the mirror at the beginning. I kind of wanted to do that myself.
30 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Painfully boring
cnina-6134318 November 2017
This movie tries so hard to be original that the result is totally unfunny. Also, the acting is pretty bad, too, sometimes it looks quite amateurish (even Reese Witherspoon!). It's a failed attempt at making a cool family movie, the plot is just too much so over the top. If you like films that are easy to watch but still quality, look elsewhere!
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the buddy system
David Ferguson6 September 2017
Greetings again from the darkness. Let's just get this out of the way upfront. There is a proved and established market for mindless fluff designed to allow women to laugh at the messes created by "real life" relationships, careers, and parenting. In fact, first time writer-director Hallie Meyers-Shyer is merely continuing the traditions set by her bloodline. She is the daughter of filmmakers Nancy Meyers and Charles Shyer who shared an Oscar screen writing nomination for PRIVATE BENJAMIN (1980), and collaborated on other Romantic-Comedies such as FATHER OF THE BRIDE (I and II), and BABY BOOM (1987). Rom- Coms exist to bring some balance to the universe of Comic Book film adaptations for fan boys. It is possible to have quality filmmaking on both sides … no matter how rare it seems.

Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon stars as Alice Kinney. It's her 40th birthday, and she's a chipper lady recently separated from her music industry husband (Michael Sheen) and moved with their two daughters (Lola Flanery, Eden Grace Redfield) from New York to Los Angeles. Alice is in full "starting over" mode, including kicking off a new home decorating business. During a drunken birthday celebration with her friends, Alice hooks up with a younger man. The next morning, Alice's mom (Candice Bergen) invites Harry (the young man played by Pico Anderson) and his two buddies (Nat Wolff, Jon Rudnitsky - all 3 are budding filmmakers) to move into Alice's house. What follows is a maybe/maybe not romance between Harry and Alice, a bonding between the fellows and Alice's daughters, new business struggles for Alice, the sudden return to the scene of Alice's husband, and an endless stream of movie-making meetings for the 3 guys.

That's a recap of the story, but it doesn't address the real issue. For years, we have been hearing that the good-old-boy Hollywood network needed to back more female-centric projects: movies about women, movies directed by women, movies written by women, movies produced by women. Well this one has ALL of that, and yet I can only imagine the outrage if a man had written/directed/produced this exact film. Let's discuss.

Alice is positioned as a "brave" and "strong" woman for moving her kids across the country and starting over. What allows this woman to be so courageous? Well see, she is the daughter of a deceased filmmaker who had a successful career and left her a multi-million dollar California estate … conveniently, one with a guest house for the three young men to live in. And who in their right mind, and with two young daughters, would invite three total strangers to move in – especially the night after - even if one of them looks to be yanked right out of an Abercrombie ad? There is also Alice's interaction with her first client (played by Lake Bell). Despite despicable treatment from the rich lady, Alice doesn't stand her ground until yet another drunken bout of liquid courage occurs. The two daughters are smart and cute, but there is an obvious shortage of daily parenting happening here – the daughters seem to show up only when a dose of precociousness is required. The scenes with Alice and her estranged husband are appropriately awkward, but the communication seems hokey … at least until we witness true hokeyness in the cartoonish exchanges between the (now) four gentlemen. In fact, all male characters are written as cartoons, which we might view as "getting even" with the many times female characters were poorly written; however, since the female lead here is just as unreal, that theory doesn't hold.

The paint-by-numbers approach carries through as we check all the boxes: cute kids, a pet dog, apologetic ex, hunky new suitor, no financial hardships, loads of delightful dialogue, Ms. Witherspoon flashing more facial contortions than Jim Carrey at his peak, at least two cheesy musical montages, a mad dash to the kid's play/recital/game, and even the cherry on top … a Carole King song at the end. In a year with so many wonderful female-centric films, this one is difficult to comprehend – except that maybe, given who her parents are, perhaps Ms. Meyers-Shyer is actually the beneficiary of that good old boy network of which we've heard tell.
39 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So disappointed. Clitche, cheesy, boring, predictable, waste of money
barnes_email9 September 2017
Worst Reese Witherspoon movie on record. And...this movie should never have Nancy Meyers name attached to it. It was clearly written and directed by someone right out of film school.The writing was so predictable, it basically took clichés from other movies and combined them all into one. The acting was horrific... as if they took the 1st take and just said let's put it in the movie...no need to rehearse! There was an excess of montages of ppl eating and laughing. I wanted to literally puke after like the 4th one!

To conclude... I thought I was coming to see and Nancy Meyers movie, but clearly I was mistaken. The plot was unrealistic and uninteresting. The actors dry and boring, the music cheesy and over the top, and the directing simple and amateur.

Looked like a film school project by a 2nd year student.
26 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yeech!!!
zardoz-1324 September 2017
Just because the parents made several good movies doesn't mean that they passed the 'good movie' gene along to their children. First-time writer-director Hallie Meyers-Shyer is the daughter of Nancy Meyers, who directed "What Women Want" (2000), "Something's Gotta Give" (2003), "The Holiday" (2006), "It's Complicated" (2009), and "The Intern" (2015). Furthermore, her father, Charles Shyer is best known for "Irreconcilable Differences" (1984), "Baby Boom" (1987), "Father of the Bride" (1991), "I Love Trouble" (1994), and "Father of the Bride, Part II" (1995). Now, Meyers-Shyer has made her cinematic debut as the director of "Home Again," a sickly-sweet, featherweight, contemporary romantic comedy about love, friendship, and families that comes laden with clichés. Indeed, if you look scrutinize it, you may spot the tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears lurking in this treacle-flavored, feel-good comedy that would send a Grinch into convulsions. America's sweetheart Reese Witherspoon plays Alice Kenny, a fortysomething mom who uproots her two young daughters from New York City and moves back to her hometown Los Angeles. Alice has grown weary of her stale marriage to her smug, British-born, music mogul husband, Austen (Michael Sheen of "Passengers"), who has made it a habit of coming home with Jose Cuervo on his breath. Now that she is back in L.A., where her mom, former movie starlet Lillian Stewart (Candice Bergen of "Soldier Blue") lives, Alice decides to embark on a free-lance career as an interior home designer. Meantime, her two daughters, Isabel (Lola Flanery of "Trauma") and Rosie (Eden Grace Redfield of "The Glass Castle") find the transition from East Coast to West Coast a little disconcerting. Truth be told, Alice is feeling a bit blue, too. Among other things, this frivolous potboiler involves a May-December romance between Witherspoon and a far younger Romeo that kindles few sparks as well as some screwball humor about one of our heroine's flaky clients. Ironically, the advertising campaign for "Home Again" insists that: "Starting over is not for beginners." Comparably, starting up is not for beginners either, considering that Hallie Meyers-Shyer's freshman effort is as inoffensive as it is lukewarm.

Mind you, Alice and her daughters have little trouble finding a place to live. They settle into the palatial bungalow where Alice once lived as a child with her late father, John Kenny (David Netto), a renowned director of 1970's era art-house movies. Later, during an alcohol-fueled birthday party at a local restaurant with her girlfriends, Alice runs into three aspiring, twentysomething filmmakers who have just been evicted from their hotel because they cannot pay their rent. You couldn't find a nicer trio of handsome, charming, broke guys like Harry (Pico Alexander of "War Machine"), Teddy (Nat Wolff of "Paper Towns"), and their friend George (Jon Rudnitsky of "Patchwork"), but where did these guys get the money to pay for those drinks? Anyway, the party grows legs, and everybody winds up at Alice's place. Hormone-addled Harry cannot resist making a pass at Alice, and Alice cannot resist the 27-year old stud muffin's confidence. They wallow in some guilt-free sex behind closed doors. The two awaken the following morning without any concerns about indiscretion, and Harry treats Alice like a princess. The night before Alice went out with her girlfriends, she had entrusted Isabel and Rosie to the care and supervision of her mother. Lillian was supposed to take the girls to school. Instead, she brings them over to find everybody recovering from their mild Bacchanalian without any repercussions. It doesn't hurt matters that the guys worship the films of Alice's late father. Moreover, they not only recognize, but they also idolize Lillian, who starred in John Kenny's movies. Lillian revels in their adulation and rustles up breakfast for them while recounting her glory days in Tinseltown. Later, she convinces a reluctant Alice to let these adorable dudes move into the guest-house rent-free until they can get on their feet. As it turns out, Harry, Teddy, and George have just signed with a Hollywood talent agency, and they are struggling to get their short movie produced as a feature length film. It doesn't hurt matters that Harry's brother Teddy knows how to cook, and George becomes Isabel's best friend. Furthermore, George inspires Isabel to write a play for her elementary school about her family. Naturally, Alice's jealous husband learns about this odd arrangement and tears himself away from his business to fly out to Los Angeles so he can reunite with his daughters and perhaps even reconcile with Alice. He is also around to make sure that Alice doesn't make a fool of herself with gallant Harry. Indeed, Alice does make a fool of herself with Harry, before she realizes the error of her ways. Meantime, the guys don't care for Austen any more than he cares for them. Inevitably, this happy house of cards collapses, and Alice explains to Harry that they aren't made for each other. Teddy and Austen clash in the most inoffensive and sloppy fistfight in cinematic history. Naturally, Alice intervenes, and she sends the guys packing, much to Austen's delight. No sooner have they left the premises than Alice lowers the boom on Austen and asks for a divorce.

"Home Again" is not one of Reese Witherspoon's better efforts. It lacks the sparkle of her better movies, such as "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Freeway," and conjures up none of the wit of her "Legally Blonde" chick flicks. Nothing about this breezy but superficial saga is remotely memorable, and it relies primarily on hopeless artifice that amounts to sheer fantasy. Basically, this movie resembles a situation comedy where nobody suffers any consequences for their actions, and everybody kisses and makes up without any lingering ill will to others. Finally, most moviegoers may find it difficult to sympathize with our affluent white protagonist who doesn't have to struggle to assert herself. Ultimately, "Home Again" qualifies as 'a comfort food movie' for audiences that prefer to shun anything approaching reality.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Home Again" is a clichéd, unrealistic fantasy of a rom-com.
Dave McClain9 September 2017
Have you ever been to a high school play? Those kids and their director work on it for a long time and they try really hard, but no matter what they do, no high school play is going to compete for a Tony Award – or have Hollywood studios clamoring to make the play into a movie with The Original Cast. If you're in the audience, you may enjoy some moments of the play, but you'll often get distracted by what's wrong with it. You'll surely notice some of the actors are more talented than others. There will probably be a really pretty girl who seems to be in a lot of plays and may even win some awards and she'll be acting opposite a slightly older guy with fake gray in his hair, but they'll be acting alongside guys and girls who don't quite manage to get genuine emotion into their performances. And then there's the story. Whether the script is good or not, in the hands of a bunch of high school students and a director, who is probably fairly young and may be just starting out, the play's action comes off as unrealistic and may make you roll your eyes a few times or even laugh at the production (not laugh with it – laugh AT it). Well, you may have a similar set of experiences watching the rom-com "Home Again" (PG-13, 1:37).

Alice Kinney (Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon) has come home. (She's already there when the movie begins, with no drama leading up to the actual homecoming as the movie's title seems to be implying.) She has moved from New York City, back to L.A. into the home of her late film director father and back in close contact with her former actress mother, Lillian Stewart (Golden Globe and Emmy winner and Oscar nominee Candice Bergen). Alice has brought her two daughters, insecure young teen Isabel (Lola Flanery) and the precocious little Rosie (Eden Grace Redfield), but Alice has left behind her music manager husband, Austen (Golden Globe nominee Michael Sheen). She considers herself separated from Austen and has decided to start another new career where she grew up. She freely admits that she was bad at photography and her other previous ventures, but now she thinks she can be an interior designer. She isn't hurting for money, but trying a new profession is part of trying to figure out her life.

Alice goes out with her old friends to celebrate her 40th birthday and makes some new friends – some very young new friends who become very good friends. Alice's birthday celebration merges with the night out of three aspiring filmmakers who are celebrating getting a meeting with a producer who is interested in making their acclaimed short film into a feature. This trio of 20-somethings includes the tall, suave and handsome Harry (Pico Alexander), who is the director (and the group's leader), the hard-working screenwriter George (Jon Rudnitsky) and Harry's sensitive younger brother, Teddy (Nat Wolff), the actor. The party ends up back at Alice's where everyone passes out. The next morning, Lillian shows up with the girls after spending the night together, the guys are star struck and everyone bonds over breakfast. Lillian finds out that the guys just lost their apartment and suggests that Alice let them stay in her guesthouse. She's hesitant, but agrees. Before long, Alice strikes up a romance with Harry, George mentors Isabel in her school drama activities and Austen shows that he's not so sure his marriage to Alice is really over.

"Home Again" is a clichéd, unrealistic fantasy. Everything simply happens too easily for these characters and the plot resolutions that eventually arrive are not well-earned, dramatically speaking. Not only does the script indulge about every rom-com cliché in movie history, but it has the actors do and say things that just don't ring true, making it feel more like a fantasy film than a romantic comedy. Writer-director Hallie Meyers-Shyer (daughter of successful filmmaker Nancy Meyers) can be forgiven to an extent, this being her first film as writer or director, but having an Oscar winner say lines like, "I know this, because I know this," is simply unworthy of a major motion picture. Besides, the experienced cast members should've known better, while the younger cast should've done better (or been cast better). Most of the performances lack emotional depth and most of the relationships portrayed lack cinematic chemistry.

On the positive side, this film has a bland sweetness about it, there are moments of muted joy and the set-up is fairly creative, but the setting isn't relatable to most Movie Fans and it's hard to imagine anyone considering this a quality film. As for Meyers-Shyer, she was still in her 20s when she wrote and shot this movie. Hopefully, her follow-up efforts will show some professional growth. If not, I'm sure there's a high school somewhere that could use a drama director. As for Movie Fans who go to the trouble to go out and see this movie, afterwards, you'll be happy just to be Home Again. "D+"
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun, Family, and Friends Make It Feel Like Home
rgkarim9 September 2017
Not in the mood for scares this weekend? No problem, Hollywood has got you non-horror movie goers covered with another romantic comedy. This weekend, the legendary Reese Witherspoon stars in another Hallie Meyers-Shyer work, in hopes of tickling your romantic fantasy on a less risqué scale. Robbie K back again with another movie review on Home Again. Will this film be another mundane addition to her lineup, or do we perhaps have something special with this flick? Let's get started to answer that question, shall we?

LIKES:

Charming/Cute: Like her works in the past, Meyers-Shyer has done a fantastic job building an adorable world/situation for our characters to play in. No major tension, violence, or heart- stopping shock moments, exist in this movie. Instead it is just a simple tale that will pull at your heartstrings while portraying those romantic morals many wish to see. Such a positive atmosphere certainly offsets the horror atmosphere of the other movie most likely to be in your theater.

Fun: With that positive atmosphere comes a fun movie, filled with small sequences that are wholesome, innocent, and surprisingly entertaining. Like a Hallmark Movie on steroids, Home Again takes on plenty of life lessons that are tested against the modern society trends today. Loyalty, romance, job work, responsibility, and child rearing are just some of the things you'll get in this movie. And while tasteful, and certainly predictable, the journey to addressing the obstructions in our character's life brings about some simplistic laughs, a plethora of smiles, and a few tears for whose hearts are warmed by Meyer-Shyer's writing.

Acting: Despite what some say, I found the acting okay and well-fitting given the environment of the movie. Witherspoon herself felt very natural in the role of a single mom looking to find herself again. She brought great energy to the film, all while keeping herself grounded amidst the chaos of all the relationships. The kids were an adorable addition, each playing their parts well to offset the romantic drama loaded into this film. I particular liked the older daughter story and how it integrated a different side of the guys to help solve a different problem. Speaking of the guys all three "eligible" bachelors were decent in playing their assigned roles, from younger brother bringing peace, to the stud that caught Reese's eyes. Of all them, Jon Rudnitsky was my favorite and the most dynamic of the characters being integrated into the film. A nice blend of comedy and drama, Jon's character kept the characters well integrated into the mix.

The short run time: A predictable tale like this can get old, fast. Fortunately, they had the foresight to cut this movie to the shorter end, telling the tale in enough details to get the job done. A plus on my side, though many may feel robbed of a full story they pine for given her past films.

DISLIKES:

Rushed elements: Despite the short time being a nice gift, Home Again's brisk pace leaves some key development scrounging for a rebound. So much potential to really give more layers to the movie, and perhaps get a few engaging story lines out of the mix would have been the better route. Especially when it came to the challenges at hand.

No major obstacle: Home Again felt like a movie with little struggle, few challenges, and in all honesty a lackluster tale all in all. It played a little too close to home and left me just milling about as the problems seemed to iron themselves away. With all the complicated relationships crammed into this tale, one would expect a little more resistance from the awkward shuffling this cast played. Even most Hallmark movies push back more than this film did before they get to that mushy-gushy ending that millions fall in love with. Perhaps a larger challenge might have made for more engaging characters and a feeling of accomplishment.

Characters: Sure they are charming, cute, admirable, and responsible in many ways, but I have to face the facts… the characters are rather one dimensional. The actors did well with what they were given, but much of the movie's puppets were a bit boring to me. Much of my fellow audience members like their physical appearances the most, but this reviewer had difficulties attaching to them because of their stunted growth. Even Reese's character seemed a bit dull, caught in a whirlwind of indecision before suddenly flipping sides. Even worse, the characters (like the plot) were predictable, further dulling the film's entertainment value.

Little Candice Bergen: When you sell Murphy Brown in the trailers, I hope to get more of the spunky actress. Not the case, as Bergen is reduced to a few nugget lines of dialog that is lost in the "romantic" tide. Had she been integrated into the movie, I have no doubt the characters could have grown stronger with her pushing Reese's character to better herself.

The VERDICT:

While certainly cute, Home Again was a bit too simplistic for my tastes, missing the potential to be one of the better romantic comedies. A rushed story with limited character growth, no real obstacles to keep you engaged, and some missed comedic elements doesn't bode well for this predictable tale. However, it is still a fun, feel good movie that will do its job of entertaining target audiences with eye candy, simplistic laughs, and an overall warm your cardiac pump moment that will make you feel good at the end of the day. Not a bad feeling, but not worth the inflated movie ticket price.

My scores:

Comedy/Drama/Romance: 6.0 Movie Overall: 5.5
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sweet, Light, Heart-warming movie
celle83510 September 2017
I was drawn to watch this movie as soon as I learned that it was written and directed by Hallie Meyers-Shyer, her parents wrote Baby Boom, Father of the Bride Part I and II and numerous other movies I have enjoyed in the past. I am someone who loves a light hearted romantic comedy or family movie and there haven't been many of these in the past decade so I thought I would check this out. I have to say I went in with no expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a light, sweet, heart warming movie, it has the look and feel of some of the old 90's movies in my opinion (credit to Cinematographer Dean Cundey, Back to the Future, Apollo 13), and a nice story. The romance factor isn't really the central focus of the movie and it may give you an inspiring thought to do a kind deed for a friend or a child. If you want a movie you can escape a bit with, light, have a few laughs and walk out of with a little bit of heart warming feel, go see it. I know a lot of folk may not like this, if you prefer dark, edgy movies, or high action, crude comedies, or tragic stories etc this is not what you are looking for. There is no strong political message or underdog defying huge odds or anything to that effect. This isn't a movie that needs to be deeply analyzed, it's just a simple nice story and maybe it will put a smile on your face at the end like myself. If any of this sounds like it appeals to you please go see this movie. I hope it does well for the main fact that then possibly we may not have to wait another ten years for a movie like this to be made. We may not be the majority but I'm sure there still is an audience for these types of movies.
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unsympathetic characters but the houses are nice
phd_travel30 November 2017
Good points: The houses are pretty. That's about it

Bad points:

The central character is unsympathetic. She gets so upset that a guy misses a dinner with her because he is trying to get financing for his movie. She should understand how hard it is to succeed in the industry and understand that. Sounds like an entitled immature me me me person.

The relationship has no chemistry. Pico Alexander looks a too young for Reese - it's a tad predatory looking. He looks younger than an average 27 year old because he's slim.

What happened to Michael Sheen? Usually British actors don't get out of shape.

Not much a of a conclusion. What did you get out of watching this movie? Very little. The story is just too weak.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining light fare
Davis P11 September 2017
Home Again is the new Nancy Meyers produced Reese Witherspoon movie. It centers around Witherspoon's character, Alice. Alice is a single mother with two daughters who has separated from her husband and has moved back to California. She invites three young struggling male filmmakers to stay in her guesthouse, since they, at that time, have nowhere else to go. Alice gets romantically involved with one of those three men and then things get a bit complicated. Also, her husband she is separated from decides to pay a visit and things get even more complicated. I absolutely adore Nancy Meyers! She is one of the best in the industry in my opinion. So, I thought it was a pretty safe bet to say that I was going to have a positive reaction to this movie. Turns out, that was a safe bet, because I enjoyed home again very much. If you like romantic comedies, you'll love it. If you like sentimental dramas, then you will definitely enjoy it. And if you like the stars, then there's a good chance you'll like it too. The writing is good and the dialogue is very well written, this movie is all about the characters, and the writing enhances the connections between them. 8/10 for Home Again, it's a worthwhile sweet movie to enjoy if you're in the right mood for this kind of film.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Limped a bit
Alanjackd30 September 2017
Have a daughter of 14 who wanted to see this so off we trotted with Nachos and drink in hand.

First seen seemed to set the scene for the next 90 or so minutes.

I shall not be too harsh here but it is a sugar coated one dimensional affair with no strategy, message or indeed outcome. Seemed to me it could be shortened down and used as a part of another movie.

From start to finish nothing seemed to happen ..the plot limped along like a wounded scriptwriter and nothing changed. You could have guessed the ending after 15 or so minutes. Don't get me wrong..it's not a BAD movie..it's made for people who have little expectation ..and that's fine ..but with a little more spent on script than locations..it could have been better.

Nothing wrong with the genre...but it can be done so much better...La La Land was a million tickets better...it can be done.

Also the crew were very tepid and uninterested..Reece Witherspoon needs to challenge a bit more...like she did in the marvelous "WILD"..shes not ready for this yet and has a lot to offer before she turns into Jennifer Anniston..as for Michael Sheen..he probably bought a few houses with the fee.

Gave it a fair 3...take your grandmother to see this for a safe bet.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't read all these bad reviews. Watch the movie instead.
Frederic Larsen21 November 2017
This collection of bad reviews needs an enema! Well, truthfully, this site needs a forum, but enough about that.

If you tell me this isn't the most memorable movie in the world, I believe you. If you tell me it doesn't deserve an Oscar, I believe you. But what it does deserve, is respect.

There seems to be a lot of potential in Hallie Meyers-Shyer, writer and director of this movie. With some time and maturity I believe she can become a new Nora Ephron of our time.

Also, I love Jon Rudnitsky in this movie. I'm not too familiar with his works, but he truly stands out in this one. I hope to see him in more movies in the future.

If you want to know why you shouldn't watch this movie, read another review. If you need to know what it's about, read another review. There are plenty of them in here.

You should watch this movie on a Wednesday with your wife/husband/partner/whatever - or watch it alone. Someone in here wrote that you shouldn't watch this if you're home sick and it happens to play on TV. Trust me, if you're home sick and this happens to play on TV. Watch it.

The movie touches upon some familiar - but important - themes, such as the value of friendship, family and love. Also the importance of forgiveness, and not least the importance of prioritizing our children.

To sum it up, keep up the good work, Ms Hallie Meyers-Shyer and Mr Rudnitsky.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome Feel Good Movie
gothichippy-6111112 February 2018
I rented this movie first On Demand after a horrible work day. I just felt I needed something to help me relax. And this movie delivered exactly what I needed. I loved it. After watching this movie, all of the bad from my day was gone. It definitely is one of the best feel good movies I have ever watched. The characters were so real and relatable. The story, to me, was perfect. It had just the right amount of romance, and humor. Reece Witherspoon was great in this. The 3 guys that play Harry, George, and Teddy were wonderful and I just wanted to hug them all. This movie just really depicts real life situations that can happen and it does it wonderfully. It is a movie about starting over, and it hits the nail on the head. I've been through a very similar situation personally and I could totally relate to this movie. After seeing it On Demand, I went and bought the DVD and have watched it another 6 times. I may need to buy another copy, because I think I will wear the first one out. Anyone who gives this movie a low rating, just doesn't get it. I personally loved the movie and I would recommend it to anyone. It is definitely in my list of favorites. I applaud everyone in it and associated with it and say job well done.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An OK movie
patyescobar16 September 2017
The movie was just OK, I expected more but we all think differently. The acting part was just dull. It rounds up to loving, however, it needed more attention to detail, things didn't make sense and at one point, I almost went home because It was getting boring. I've seen lots if not, all the movies and this one just didn't quite convinced me, but I do have to say that Reese is a sweet and great actress, just go watch it and see for yourselves, may be you'll like it, we all have different opinions.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lighthearted
deepee-2261011 September 2017
I enjoyed the movie. Some people are writing reviews longer than the movie. It was fun and lighthearted. If you want a break from reality with out explosions this fits the bill.

The kids were interesting. I think the writer or director missed a great opportunity for the boys to be taken more seriously. Certainly plenty of opportunity to have a black character but none taken.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful Slice of Life
mazzacurry1 February 2018
It's so nice to to see a movie that is well written and refreshingly has no violence, gratuitous sex, or crude humor. Really a wonderful movie on so many levels.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Love, Love, Love this movie!!!!
jtungsten169 September 2017
I left after seeing Home Again feeling soooooo good and that is what a good movie is supposed to do, make you feel good. Home Again is well acted, Nat Wolff is my new favorite actor, he really shines in this movie as well as Pico Alexander. Reese Witherspoon is amazing in this movie too! I just loved everything about this movie and I found myself not wanting it to end. It's really great to see Candice Bergen again too. I did not like the character of Austen played by Michael Sheen and it's not because of Michael the actor, who is a great actor by the way, it's just that I was rooting for the other guy. The kids in the movie did a great job with their roles too. Do not listen to the negative reviews, if you want a feel good movie and you want to be fully engaged in great entertainment see Home Again. The writing, directing and acting was all great.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
cute realistic romantic comedy
novagirl117 January 2018
Cute, funny, at times a little more realistic than some romantic comedies, and Reese Witherspoon is just great!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lots of fluff and not much memorability
TheLittleSongbird6 October 2017
Despite liking romantic comedy (there are some good ones out there, as well as some not so good ones) and liking Reese Witherspoon and Michael Sheen in other things, expectations were low for 'Home Again' due to the mixed to negative critical reception and mixed audience reaction.

Watching it with an open mind 'Home Again' has its bright spots, enough to make it a one-time watch, and is better than reputed. On the other hand, it also is an uneven film and mostly forgettable fluff. As said, it has good things. Witherspoon, being the lead, was crucial for the film to work, the good news is that, although she has been better in material worthier of her talent, she gives her character and 'Home Again' a very likable energy and very sweet charm. The other acting standout is Sheen, who does bag some very funny (at times hilarious) moments that gives the film much needed levity and gravitas.

The best performance of the three young men taken in goes to Jon Rudnitsky, his character is the most interestingly written of the three and he is the most charismatic and easy to like of the three. 'Home Again' is nicely made with a peppy score, while also boasting a good-natured sweet tone, some funny, cheerful moments and a few snappy lines. The children are cute without being overly so.

'Home Again' however could have been much better. The film does feel rushed (while there are some scenes too that limp), which would have been solved easily with a longer length (15 minutes more would have made a difference) and trying to do less. It does feel like too much was crammed in and it consequently means that the film lacks depth in particularly how the characters are written. Here they are thinly sketched, one-dimensional and shallow. Humorous and touching moments are too far and between in a film that has very blandly fluffy romantic elements and other comedic elements that feel overplayed.

Of the three tyros only Rudnitsky works, whereas the other two struggle to keep up, their characters are too sketchily written, their dialogue is even weaker and they don't have the expertise or charisma here to rise above what they're given. Poor Candice Bergen is wasted with nothing to do, she never gets the chance to show off her charm and spunk. Some snappy moments in the script and sporadic funny and touching moments aside, the script is an over-egged and under-cooked soufflé with its fair share of awkward and cheesy lines and severe underwriting of the characters and their increasingly predictable and vague situations. Some interesting ideas and insights here that could have been delved into more.

Story-wise, everything just feels too pat and formulaic, and too much of it doesn't really go anywhere or feel resolved satisfactorily. There is very little to the conflict.

All in all, fluffy and not very memorable. Not unwatchable however, there are far worse films out there, of the genre, of the year and ever. 5/10 Bethany Cox
Mistakes Aren't Trademarked
thirtyfivestories20 September 2017
They say birthdays become more inconsequential the later they come. Alice, however, does not buy it. Her 40th year crashes in like a New Year's ball, and she drops her "single mother of two" persona for a fateful night. Ever since her weekend father embellished her childhood birthdays, she has held her date sacred like an incantation dance of his memory.

Her father had a name known to millions, but only she had the name "Daddy" for him. A filmmaker and impatient lover, he created honest movies scratching at the domestic turmoil that everyone succumbs to. Alice has difficulty reviewing his life's work, possibly due to her own absent husband.

But on this night, she has liquor boldness and two wing-women replacing her usual daughter counterparts. Forgetting responsibility, Alice indulges in flirtation with Harry, a bright young personality primed to amaze. His business is film, which will prove to be a vital in.

Harry has brothers in arms, Teddy the actor, and George the writer. Harry was once the producer of the gang's output, but now plays a role of a sharp smile and a smooth tongue. The group have made a statement with their debut short film, and now are eager to adapt their labor of love into a feature.

Alice also is looking to upgrade, and compromises begin to develop after a whimsical night of arbitrary celebration. Chance falls upon the open-minded, and the boys meet Alice on the perfect evening. Broke and on the cusp of financing their project, the young men tap into the magic of Alice's father's films to remind her of the hope he always tragically portrayed.

Age is a collection of numbers. Quantitative, but not so much qualitative. Prejudice seeps into these pesky labels. Experience and goodness are not exclusively synonymous with maturity. Alice's black and white perspectives scorch her possibilities, until a wild notion gains traction in her house. An invitation to rowdy young folks might be the most relaxing stretch of her packed life.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Reese is a mom of two moving back to California.
TxMike31 December 2017
My wife and I watched this at home on DVD from our public library. We enjoyed it as light entertainment.

Whether one enjoys this movie depends on whether one enjoys Reese Witherspoon. We have seen her in many movies starting with "The Man in the Moon" when she was a young teenager. Here she is Alice, separated from her husband of 15 years, and with two daughters about 7 and 11 I'm guessing. Her husband is still in NYC as she moves back to where she grew up, the L.A. area. And she is turning 40.

A chance encounter with a 20-something guy in a bar leads to her meeting all three of the friends who are budding filmmakers and who incidentally are out of funds and need a place to live. Her mother (Candice Bergen) meets the three guys and invites them to stay in the unoccupied guest house.

All this sets up mostly comedic situations but the guys end up helping around the house and even some activities with the daughters. Then the husband (Michael Sheen) shows up unannounced which creates additional situations.

Mostly an entertaining and clean 90 minutes of rom-com.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bland and Innocuous
Carl Schultz11 September 2017
While many people attend movies for intellectual stimulation, and consider a trip to the Cineplex the equivalent to attending an exhibit in an art gallery, an equal number of people see movies as an agreeable waste of time, an alternative to a jigsaw puzzle or the newspaper crossword.

If you're among the latter group of people, "Home Again" is the movie for you—a pleasant-enough but trivial piece of fluff, as insubstantial as a helping of cotton candy.

In "Home Again," the privileged wife of a successful New York City record producer experiences a midlife crisis, separates from her hard-partying spouse, and moves with their two precocious daughters across the country to the Los Angeles estate she inherited from her late father, an Oscar-winning motion picture director. There, in a bar, she meets three struggling young filmmakers. And as a means of subsidizing the overburdened financial status of the young auteurs until their movie deal comes through, she invites then to move temporarily into her guesthouse. Naturally, she falls for one of them.

"Home Again" is the kind of movie which during the early 1960s would've been performed to perfection by Doris Day, Rock Hudson, and Tony Randall. In "Home Again," the roles are filled by Reese Witherspoon, Michael Sheen, and Pico Alexander, standing in for the classic trio of stars of "Pillow Talk," "Lover Come Back," and other classics of the early-sixties romantic comedy genre.

As such, "Home Again" often feels like a fairly decadent anachronism, one which seems as if it might've been financed on the familial heritage of its writer/director, Hallie Meyers-Shyer. Young Meyers-Shyer is the daughter of two experts of this once- lucrative style of motion picture—Nancy Meyers, the director of "What Women Want" from 2000 and "Something's Gotta Give" from 2003, and Charles Shyer, the director of 1980's "Private Benjamin" and 1987's "Baby Boom."

Mother Nancy Meyers' name actually appears in the credits of "Home Again" as a producer, and the family connection is emphasized in the film's advertising, with the writer/director's name featured prominently on the poster-art, even though this is the 30-year-old director's first filmmaking effort.

"Home Again" is amusing enough, if you're in the mood for a superficial examination of the lives and worries of the veddy, veddy rich. The problems depicted in this movie seem almost to be like good ones to have, especially to those souls among us who have trouble getting together their rent and food money.

But for others, "Home Alone" is a reminder that in Hollywood, talent is not necessarily a hereditary commodity. And that in certain quarters, nepotism is often still a more desirable quality than actual artistic ability.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this