Show Dogs (2018) Poster

(2018)

Deserves a second chance!!
bjordan3962 June 2018
I really liked this movie. As a former Rottweiler owner, it was great to see one in a lead role. I'm not going to go in depth about it but I will ask that the irate parents who opposed the scene that was taken out please give this movie a higher rating. While I agree the scene did not belong in the movie, I feel the movie deserves a second chance now that it was edited. C'mon, you got why you wanted so please rate the movie higher.
71 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really cute family film that was way better than expected
getarazor21 May 2018
Reading the critics' reviews we weren't sure what to expect but we all laughed a lot and had a great time. Kids loved it and were quoting it all the way home. I highly recommend this old fashioned fun kids flick. You won't be disappointed!
117 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was actually entertained!
justjocie18 May 2018
I usually hate kid movies. Almost all of them, especially animated ones. I didn't have any expectations going into this, but the jokes were actually pretty funny and it was a cute storyline. People are always going to hate on movies like this but it's not made for adults. It's a kids movie, and a pretty good one at that. If you're looking for a cute funny movie with really adorable animals, go see it! You might be surprised.
138 out of 222 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun KIDS Movie....... For KIDS!
firefly90020 May 2018
So as my headline says this movie is for kids, did the clueless low raters think they were watching Schindlers list when they saw this? Or most likely the vast majority of them havent seen it and are just giving it a low rating anyway.

Look this isnt going to be the best movie you will ever see but it is fun. Even as a 36 year old male I got a laugh from it. I saw this movie as part of a charity screening and I had alot of fun watching it. And to all those that are giving this a low rating because this childs movie does not live up to their supposed intellectual prowess..... You people really are to be pitied.
129 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good
aidankhan-9841919 May 2018
Title says it all. Kept me entertained the whe time
133 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Believe the hype
paulpingu17 May 2018
You guys, this is the funniest film I've seen in years. I know you probably think I'm full of bs so I guess all I can do is advise you to see it. You can thank me later.
139 out of 237 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do yourself a favor and see Show Dogs
jaffacakenation17 May 2018
This was a really entertaining flick. Some great acting, humor, cinematography and action scenes in this. Maybe this isn't the best movie of the year but it sure is darn entertaining. 8.5/10
126 out of 216 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dog gone good
Super cute family friendly movie. Will Arnett is great! The dogs are cute, funny jokes for the adults.
117 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great entertainemnt
Cameronius_11315 May 2018
This movie was really good, it lived up to the hype. Will Arnett's best role since G-Force. I'd give it a 7.9/10 but a 10 on IMDb because this film is being unnecessarily hated on. Go see it.
152 out of 269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
10/10 cause my son genuinely loved this movie
Azzzie16 June 2018
It's not a masterpiece yet it's fun for a 9 yo who adores dogs and enjoys every dog movie he encounters.
36 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it!
jimbobwoodenwood17 May 2018
Saw this with my kids and I have to admit I actually quite enjoyed it. In the marketing this looked like simply another dumb kids movie but I was pleasantly surprised by the intelligent humour which left me chuckling a few times. There were a few jokes aimed at the adults too and I appreciate that the filmmakers had more than just the kids in mind. Glad I saw it and it's an 8/10 from me.
95 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wag your tail for Show Dogs
springfieldrental19 May 2018
If you are a dog owner or had one in the past, you can relate to the collage of canines presented in the comedy "Show Dogs." This Raja Gosnell-directed film is a light-hearted delight showcasing the poochy world of man's best friends communicating amongst themselves. The plot is a little thin, and the wackiness could be amped slightly higher, but scriptwriters Max Botkin and Marc Hyman have supplied enough jokes to keep a smile on the viewer's face throughout. Ideal for the entire family, SD is a film that even mom and dad can enjoy with the kids, which is rare in today's movie theaters.
89 out of 156 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ignore the bad press and enjoy a wonderful movie
dave-mcclain22 May 2018
"Show Dogs" (PG, 1:32) is an action-adventure comedy which was directed by Raja Gosnell, who has two Smurfs movies, two Scooby-Doo movies, "Beverly Hills Chihuahua", "Big Momma's House" and "Never Been Kissed" on his resume. The film was written by Max Botkin ("What Happened to Monday") and Marc Hyman ("Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted", "How to Train Your Dragon") and produced using a combination of live action and CGI. It has, unfortunately, also been the subject of some controversy. Some people have interpreted one canine character's struggle to learn how to deal with being handled during competition as some secret message teaching children to accept fondling. This minor subplot could also be interpreted as encouraging men not to be afraid of prostate exams. Or maybe it's just a relevant plot point for an alpha dog preparing to be in his first dog show. Either way, the rest of this review will ignore the controversy and talk about the movie, which is more than a bad press magnet.

Max (voiced by Ludacris) is a Rottweiler working as a tough-as-nails NYC police dog. Max is tracking some rare animal smugglers when he runs into Frank (Will Arnett), an FBI agent working on the same case. Max's human supervisor convinces a reluctant Frank to work with Max on their joint venture. The two new partners develop a love-hate relationship as they follow the clues to Las Vegas, where they believe an international dog show there is being used as a front by the animal traffickers. A dog groomer named Mattie (Natasha Lyonne) works with Frank as he poses as a dog handler participating in the competition. Of course, Max is forced to endure the indignities of a primped pooch paraded about during the various challenges in the dog show as he does his own undercover work. Along the way, Max gets help from an unhinged former champion named Dante (Alan Cumming) and a fellow participant named Daisy (Jordin Sparks). RuPaul, Gabriel Iglesias, Shaquille O'Neal and Stanley Tucci also voice CGI dogs, while Anders Holm, Blake Anderson and Kate Micucci voice a trio of pigeons who are fans of Max.

"Show Dogs" is cute, clever, comedic and compassionate. Sure, this movie could be seen as just another man and mutt police pairing, in the vein of "Turner and Hooch" and "K9" (both from 1989), or a hairy rehash of 2000's "Miss Congeniality", but those comparisons really do a disservice to this delightful comedy. The story is simple enough for most kids to follow, but involved enough to hold the interest of most adults. The voice work is great and the performances and plot combine to make for a very enjoyable (mostly) family-friendly film. "A-"
76 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent little movie...especially for kids
stevebarhydt21 May 2018
If you want a deep thought provoking movie...this ain't it. If you want side-splitting, laugh-a-minute comedy... this ain't it. If you want a cute light-hearted movie to spend an hour and a half on and leave the theater feeling a little better than you went in...go for it.

Think "Miss Congeniality" meets "Homeward Bound" and you won't be disappointed.
73 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kids loved it
zoejsmith31 May 2018
Took my mum n kids to see it. Some funny bits that kids found hilarious.
43 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Harmless fun great family show
domjra4 June 2018
It's really unfortunate that the early reviewers had it in for this film. I would have given it 10, but I didn't get a couple of jokes, so it's a 9.

Anyway, for most, it's very far fetched to construe from the scenes in question, that the intent was to groom children to accept unwanted touching. The suggestion was that a child may relate to Max in his anthropomorphic form. Everyone including the experts failed to mention Max is an independent minded alpha male 'adult' - so how I ask myself can a dependent child associate themselves with a stubborn grizzled independent adult like Max? Besides, those who watched it with kids say it goes straight over their heads anyway. For me, it's an innocent film.

When you consider that sexual politics in real life, which involves adults trying to educate other people's children from preschool age concerning sexuality, gender and other issues - the public is being effectively groomed in an offensive social experiment. Children are being directly exposed to adult activism and a lot of inappropriate subject matter. Thanks to political correctness, people are too afraid to discuss or say anything about anything because everyone is looking for ways to be offended.

Thanks therefore for a film that is a bit of a light relief from the depravity of real life modern day planet earth.

What comes across is child-like escapism from a director and a crew that obviously wanted to make fun with dogs, and to make a poke at dog shows in general. That for me was way better than all the Deadpools and Marvel slaughter fests, good as they may be for their entertainment and production merits. Too much desensitization to sexual, sado-masochistic sanitized glorified violence seems to make everyone hungry for more, and contributes to the desensitization process. That must be more harmful.

The characters in Show Dogs, and their canine counterparts ham it up like mad and seem to be enjoying it. Sadly, modern critics are 'too grown up' and may fail to get that. They become haters, trite, looking for the next thing to stick their knives into and spoil for everyone.

The conclusion is for me, take the film for what it was intended, i.e. a bit of innocent light hearted fun. Don't go in if you are expecting an Oscar winning piece of literary prose. If you are an adult, go watch even without the kids, and you may even surprise yourself for enjoying it a lot.
32 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's not to like about a movie featuring Man's Best Friend . . .
oscaralbert6 June 2018
. . . with minimal scatology and gross-out humor (unlike its frequently-referenced police dog predecessor flick, TURNER & HOOCH)? Slobber and drool are more scarce than mid-desert daiquiris during SHOW DOGS. Obviously, all the masses attacking America's beloved canine population with their scathing comments and abysmal ratings for SHOW DOGS are parched for drool and slobber. However, I think that it's very unfair to denigrate SHOW DOGS just because it doesn't slake your thirst for slobber and drool. The sort of folks who disrespect the USA's valiant K-9 troops who lead their jack-booted masters into the rural or urban dens of drug iniquity as part of joint task force interdictions (which usually target the correct addresses, and if there's a mistake and Granny gets her throat ripped out by a Police Rottweiler like SHOW DOGS' hero Max, that's on the faulty intel CI's or the pranksters S.W.A.T.ING Granny--it's NOT the fault of our misdirected hypothetical jugular-shredding Fido!) are the same miscreants encouraging the renegade Philadelphia Eagles to kneel or pump raised fists during our National Anthem and boycott the White House! Whether the line is Blue or Red, it's always thin, and needs the full support of every Patriotic American. Leave the slobber and drool to the Fat Cat feline folks, SHOW DOGS urges, and support your local mastiff.
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie for KIDS- niece loved this
soccersox8631 May 2018
I went to see this movie with my 7 and 9 year old cousins and they absolutely loved it! For a kids movie it was actually pretty decent. The movie is very lighthearted and cute, which was all we were looking for. The sexual stuff was obviously meant to be humorous and I don't think the little kids seeing this movie are going to look so deeply into it so everyone can chill lol.
28 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
lolol
ongziqii27 May 2018
This movie is very interesting and really funny at the same time it is very entertaining
28 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little bit of doggie humour for everyone
Fudge-327 May 2018
Max, an NYPDog, must go undercover in a Dog Show to bring a gang of animal smugglers to justice. He gets partnered with an incompetent FBI agent as his handler.

Yep - it's another live action, talking dogs movie where the animals (and most of the women) are a lot smarter than the men. There are enough laughs in it to keep both the children and the parents amused. It does make fun of itself too. Most of the other user reviews are highly polarised between 1s and 10s but I think the truth is in between.

There were news articles around at launch time that two scenes were going to be cut because they might, 'normalise groping.' When I watched the movie in the UK well after launch those scenes seemed to be still in it. In a dog show a vet will check all the animal's assets from teeth to tail and Max has to stay calm while the medic confirms that he's still got his nuts. The movie, 'Best in Show,' has the same gag and I don't think children will necessarily understand why it's funny. So; something else for you parents to explain, but hey: you're used to that.

I liked: the animation, the cute pooches, the tiger and the out-takes at the end. I didn't like: The pigeons plus there are parts of the movie that have some extremely tight editing, the dialogue is too fast and any joke is thrown away.

If you're a dog person add 1 point. If you're a cat person subtract 2 points.
24 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worse movie ever!? Not with as many laughs as this film gives me.
subxerogravity25 May 2018
I did not realize that Ludacris was so hard up on money,but apparently like Tyrese Gibson barking on Youtube about being broke, The Fast and Furious Franchise aint paying the brothers enough money so apparently he does need to do this alternative.

Luda plays Max, a tough as nails NYPD dog who teams up with Will Arnett, whose obviously trying to not make Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows his worse movie (He failed cause this movie out shines Turtles 2 100 percent). Together in a not so uncanny buddy cop movie (cause they did do it in Turner and Hooch) they go under cover as dog show contestants to find an animal smuggler.

Realistic, this movie is stupid, that's a given, but what it has going for it is that it knows how stupid it is, and with that knowledge you can't help but to laugh at the dumbness going on.

There are so many points in the movie that are just so foolish, but you can't help but to smirk. It's like Ludacris is taking the role so seriously that the whole thing is...Ludacris (he does the same pun in the film), and I can't help myself.

So yeah, Show Dogs is bad, but it's definitely worth seeing. It will make you laugh!
34 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Show Dogs: The Uncut version.
morrison-dylan-fan1 June 2018
Catching up on episodes of Screen Junkies News,I was intrigued to hear about a wonderfully weird-sounding family flick. As the eps went on,I was surprised to learn that the film was being re-cut,due to a scene being "controversial" Reading comments,I found out that the film was actually still being screened uncut in the UK.With cinemas being filled of blockbusters (and Solo) at the moment,I went expecting to be the lone viewer,but found the screening packed with families and older teens, only a handful of tickets left,which led to me seeing the best in show.

View on the film:

Continuing his "oeuvre" of talking dog movies, director Raja Gosnell & cinematographer David Mackie give the flick a breezy, family friendly atmosphere of slap-stick farting dog gags for the kids, and light spoofing of the dog show/fashion events (such as a pointed gag on specialist breeding for best in shows.) for adults. Putting CGI faces over real animals, Gosnell makes the blending look impressively smooth,with Max's somersaults being very stylish, and the action scenes being given a bone-chewing crunch by Gosnell by keeping all the car chases and paw-fighting at the camera level of the animals.

Taking the fur of Miss Congeniality'with a heist,the screenplay by Max Botkin and Marc Hyman take the film for a great,bonkers walkies of all the animals being able to speak and understand English perfectly (!) and humans at least being somewhat aware of this,with Max being given the full details to the case by police officer Frank. Surprisingly not going too sickly sweet with the message of respecting choices people (or in this case,animals) dedicate their lives to (with the soon to be cut scenes being where Max realises how dedicated others are to the dog show.) The writers bring a warmth to Frank (a likeable Will Arnett) and Max's (voiced by a ruff and ready Ludacris) friendship by continuing with the weirdness of both of them almost being able to chat to each other,and planning how to stop the heist like buddy cops,and set their sights on showing the show dogs whose boss.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disturbing message of sexual compliance
lyndaacb23 May 2018
This movie is only slightly entertaining, parents should know, when the dog's genitals are groped by the show organizers, he doesn't' like it, and is told he needs to just deal with it and not complain to anyone (when he is being "checked out")....he is told to find his happy place and just bear it, that it will be over soon. Terrible message for kids in my opinion. Wonder what pedophile will use this as an example the next time they are grooming their victims. I'm all for artistic freedom, but this is a really creepy message. It's a message like so many women have been victim of in Hollywood....you want to get in the show, you better let me do what I want. But it's even worse that it is geared toward children. They "humanize" these animals so kids can relate to them....and then send this creepy, not so subliminal message.
107 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obvious paid reviews on here
Moneygrip9920 May 2018
I saw a free advanced screening of this movie and my god. Terrible literally doesn't even begin to describe this utter garbage. If you want to watch an actual good dog show comedy watch BEST IN SHOW by Christopher Guest. That's a genius film. If you think Scooby Doo is funny then you'll probably like this but if you are into actual comedies then skip this atrocity and watch Best in Show.
96 out of 236 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Movie is For the Dogs
MikeC195 June 2018
Back in 2002, I watched Raja Gosnell's film, "Scooby-Doo".... and I just loved it! At this point, I've seen all the movies he's directed. I like family films, especially ones with dogs. Generally, the consensus about his movies hasn't been very favorable. I have nothing to complain about, though. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the ticket for this movie. I knew it wouldn't be the funniest movie I'd see this year. I knew there'd be talking dogs, and fart jokes, and kiddie humor. But you know what? I enjoy these kind of movies. Nobody assumes they'll be award winning, or something to make you think. Sometimes you just want to watch something funny, and for me, this did the trick. I liked it for what it was. (It also helps that I love dogs, and I'm sure Mr. Gosnell does, too!) Will Arnett does his usual schtick, Stanley Tucci is hilarious, and I was surprised to see Natasha Lyonne (I haven't seen her on the big screen in years)! I enjoyed this movie, and I think other people (especially dog lovers) would, too.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.