Boundaries (2018) Poster

(I) (2018)

A lovely trip
Gordon-1131 July 2019
This film tells the story of a road trip between a woman, her son and her estranged father. It is funny, eventful and bittersweet at the same time. I enjoyed it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
heady topic, fluff movie
ferguson-65 July 2018
Greetings again from the darkness. One of the more recent cinematic trends has been stories involving an adult child facing the plight of caring for an elderly parent. Some have chosen the comedic route, while others lean towards the all-too-real burden carried by care-givers. Writer-director Shana Feste (COUNTRY STRONG, 2010) continues her streak of tolerable fluff in this tale of a stressed single mother raising a challenging teenager while also dealing with daddy issues, and the octogenarian daddy at the source.

The film opens with said stressed mother Laura Jaconi (played by Vera Farmiga) in the midst of a therapy session as she talks through those long-simmering daddy issues ... and we get the feeling these same discussions have occurred numerous times over the years. As an actress, Ms. Farmiga is at her best in frazzled mode, and here she's a perfect fit. Her son Hoyt/Henry (Lewis McDougall, who was so good in A MONSTER CALLS) is a social misfit at his school, thanks in part to his mostly unwelcome and quite vivid artwork depicting faculty (and others) in various unclothed states. When he is expelled, private school becomes the best alternative, and Laura's need for cash coincides with her estranged father's (Christopher Plummer) simultaneous expulsion from his retirement center ... for morality reasons.

Daughter Laura has her dad listed as "Don't Pick Up" on her cell phone, and we understand before her that he is a rascal with a criminal streak. He even serves up an extremely rare pedophile joke - at the expense of his grandson. Laura's ongoing challenges are intensified when circumstances require her to drive her and her son cross country in a classic Rolls Royce that never comes close to blending in with the surroundings. The purpose of the road trip is so the father/grandfather can make secretive pot-selling trips along the way. This allows for cameos from such recognizable folks as Peter Fonda, Christopher Lloyd and Bobby Cannavale, the latter of which is Laura's ex-husband and biological father of her son.

Adding to the frenzy is Laura's commitment to her real lot in life - that of serial animal rescuer. Dogs are EVERYWHERE throughout the film - to the point that her father labels her the Pied Piper of mange. These type of interactions, along with the ruse of adult diapers and a bow and arrow sequence keep the film on the verge of slapstick; however, we can never accept that we are supposed to get a comedic kick out of Laura's too-much-to-handle lot, since it's mostly depressing.

Kristen Schaal as Laura's sister and insecure California goofball is always a welcome addition to any film, and Yahva Abdul-Mateen II brings a nice touch to one of the few characters we'd like to get to know better. Lousy childhood memories connected to present-day adult troubles just don't combine for effective humor in the light that the filmmaker seems to be aiming for. Though well-acted, a grown woman still in need of daddy's approval is just a bit too predictable and too much of a downer to work.
8 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So predictable, and you'll love it all the same
harry_tk_yung16 December 2018
Road movie is a genre that will never die. You may think that you've had enough. Then, once in a while, a good one comes along and you'll fall in love with it all over again. "Boundaries", for example.

The travelers here comprise three generations: a grandfather just kicked out of his institution for pushing marijuana; a 12-year-old grandson just kicked out of school for drawing everybody he knows in nude (from imagination, of course); in the middle is smart, good-looking divorced mother who is always flustering at the verge of hysteria. Add to that an assortment of dogs and cats, both right from the start of the journey and picked up along the way. Not a very appealing bunch, it seems. But predictably, you'll become very fond of them at the end of the journey (well, perhaps not the cats and dogs).

The above introduction of the main characters basically sets up the plot line. Laura (Vera Farmiga) who lives in Seattle, needing the money to send his son Henry (Lewis MacDougall) to a private art school in L.A., seeks help from his almost-estranged father Jack (Christopher Plummer). The old man sees this as a heaven-sent opportunity of a chauffeured (Laura) weed delivery route, using various camouflage including adult diapers. He also loses no time at all enlisting his grandson as a "partner". He does indicate though that this is only a temporary arrangement and he will help to get Henry into a "better project", such as art.

Although everything is quite predictable i.e. no spoilers of any significance, it best not to go into details but rather let you enjoy the journey as things and situations unfold. Sprinkled with slightly amused chuckles to laugh-out-loud hilarity, and everything in between, this is a pleasurable ride.

Expectedly, the charm of the movie comes from the quality of the cast. Ever since the dashing Captain Von Trapp in "The sound of music" (1965) Plummer has never missed a step. In his eighties, still dashingly handsome in "Boundaries", he delight the audience once again, now with a totally trashy character, and still make them fall in love with him! Farmiga has always been underrated and should have landed a major role since her Best Supporting Oscar nomination in "Up in the air" (2009). Playing opposite Plummer here, she not only holds her own but makes you admire her pitch-perfect control as it is so easy to go overboard with Laura. As well, the chemistry between the two of them is excellent. Young MacDougall certainly proves his worth here in bringing out the balance between awkwardness and maturity in Henry, all with an easy, laid-back charm.

There are others. Although just a little more than a cameo, Peter Fonda is a joy to watch as Jack's old friend and weed customer. Bobby Cannavale whom you will perhaps remember best as the clueless but lovable husband of Ant-man's ex-wife, is fun to see as Laura's ex-husband here. Kristen Schaal, as Laura's sister in L.A., also has her moments.

For this movie, I could employ an alternative, but overused summary line: a gem.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing and forgettable
maccas-5636712 July 2021
Talk about a forgettable film. I'm so glad Christopher Plummer had better films after this to be remembered by.

This should have been amazing. Christopher Plummer and Vera Farmiga as father and daughter? This pairing of two favourite actors of mine was enough to sell me on the idea. Throw in the likes of Christopher Lloyd and an intriguing road trip plot and this had all the ingredients to become a much-loved film experience of mine.

But it failed. It started out alright, kept me engaged and gave me numerous laughs. It was a little quirky, and the actors can certainly hold their own. But something just fell flat and became boring.

The drug storyline kind of fell down on itself. A little too much random yelling and drama took over from the comedic scenes. It didn't quite know whether it was a drama or comedy, and attempted to do both, while throwing in a character study to boot. It perhaps tried to do too much.

Really disappointed as it had the potential to be something so special. I will have forgotten this film in a week.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bluesy Musical Score !
Intermissionman_7 July 2018
I saw this Film over the weekend, despite all the poor reviews, and I got it right. Could not believe this type of movie could get such weak reviews with Vera Farmiga and Christopher Plummer playing the lead characters. Forget the Trolls, this is a Good Movie with a zany script and a really blusey musical score. Be sure to stay til end of credits !! Well received by audience in attendance !
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vera Farmiga worst movie and performance
bazookamouth-221-89809728 October 2018
This just didn't work at all. This is one of Vera Farmiga's worst movies and performances. Long intervals of boredom along with poor dialogue, misjudged sequences. This movie had no chance really with this script. Its content is just to unrealistic. An 85 year old drug dealer (Plummer) , a ranty Vera who drifted into dire rant monologues along the way about her childhood, and the oddball but intelligent son basically take a road trip from Plummer's old folks home to Farmiga home and various characters (Peter Fonda, Christopher Lloyd) they meet along the way. That's it. Wasn't funny. Only Plummer gains any credit. As bad as it gets. This typifies how silly it was. After completing the journey home with Plummer, within minutes of meeting the sister, the sisters are doing a forced karaoke version of "Gloria" by Laura Branigan, which was ridiculous.
3 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One star reviews are more a reflection on the reviewer than the movie.
thegarlicconnection9 July 2018
I'm not sure what happened with the 1 stars, but I don't think they watched the movie. If you've watched the trailer, you shouldn't be offended by the movie. It's a decent movie. Not groundbreaking, but fun. Absolutely, not less than a 7.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Script written by child robot
M0vieL0ver24 June 2018
I agree with the other movie review site top critics, which is overly generous giving it 42%. No one can write in Hollywood anymore. Scripts are drone and lifeless and immature. Not creative at all. We need a new Hollywood. We need new ideas.

Redford was smart to move out of LA, but even his studio isn't working. Not far enough away?

We need FRESH minds and writers, mostly who are not childishly pushing some ridiculous agenda.

We want entertainment. Not boring, predictable robot writing.
48 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Boundaries - A Great Comedy-Drama!
MikeC1910 July 2018
I wasn't terribly interested in seeing this movie, but took myself anyway because I like Christopher Lloyd and Kristen Schaal. Well, I have to tell you, I was really surprised that this movie was so good! I walked out thinking, "This was really good!" Here's my opinion:

The Good: The characters were enjoyable, there was plenty of humor, and the drama wasn't too heavy. I think Vera Farmiga did a fantastic job, and as someone that's never really enjoyed her work, I certainly did, here! You can identify with her character, even though she's a little strict. You can at least see where she's coming from. She loosens up, along the way, too. Christopher Plummer is a very enjoyable screen presence, as well. His character kind of keeps you guessing with what he's thinking and going to do. Is he the nicest character in screen history? No. But you like him anyway. It made me want to seek out other movies with him. I love the dogs, too! So many different types, and they just make you smile! :)

The Bad: I found the son to be a bit annoying, frankly. He's just kind of along for the ride, acting mopey. I didn't really care what happened to him. (Though he did make me laugh at least once.) Also, Bobby Cannavale doesn't really seem to fit in here well. He always plays the same type of character, and he acts the same way in most movies. (So I guess I'm not a fan.)

Overall, though: This movie is light enough, and most of the characters are fun to watch. This type of movie always seems to get overshadowed by bigger movies, but the people that do go to this have a great time! I really enjoyed myself. I give: 8/10
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
seriously underrated
jrwygant28 March 2019
Great story & acting by the entire cast. I don't understand the low ratings from some viewers unless they have some kind of personal hangups about father-child relationships. The humor mixed with pathos was perfectly delivered, just like real life. The lesson: nothing / nobody is ever perfect or all that we want it to be. We learn to adjust...
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's wrong with people?
w-bogdan21 October 2018
This is a good movie, why the low rating? Maybe people watch too much superhero garbage and can't tell what's good anymore.
38 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining, realistic
Maryjnberry29 March 2019
Vera Farmigia and Christopher Plummer are award winning actors who draw on their experience with family relationships to make a highly entertaining film. Many adult children have problems with their parents-many of whom are baby boomers-who grew up in the 1960's/1970's a free wheeling time of love, sex, rock n' roll... many of our children don't understand the mindset of our generation, in which as children baby boomers were pushed into a certain mold, even as many of us were individuals-"square pegs" if you like forced into a round hole- drilled into the baby boomer generation by our parents, teachers and employers who all had high expectations, required good manners and social graces; along with knowledge of historical events that had transpired, to make our parents, "The Greatest Generation" proud, and satisfied they had done the best by their children.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stinks
dossiedoe23 June 2018
Someone had to be on drugs in order to finance this crapass movie. Wait till TNT starts playing. Don't waste your money.
22 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over acted. Predictable.
dawnmhudspeth25 June 2018
Over acted. Predictable. Didn't laugh once. Not believable.
34 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the negative reviews!!!!!!!!!!
anuity7 July 2018
I'm not sure what's going on with negative reviews. I always rate the movies on IMDB but virtually never write a review. But in this case, I was compelled to say something. You may understandably object to some of the content or simply think it wasn't the type of movie you like but there is definitely something amiss with all the 1 ratings. This film was very well done.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not As Bad as Some People on this Site Indicate
ssochet16 February 2019
This is a road movie, I guess add it to the 450 made in the past 25 years, so perhaps people are tired of the genre. But I found it funny in more than a few spots. Not for everyone, obviously, but give it a chance, if you're in a risky, open minded mood.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Miscast lead but Plummer was fun.
bobsu117 November 2018
I am a fan of Vera Farmiga usually but this just didn't seem like a fit for her. Never bought her in the frantic role. And I hate contrived road movies...people trapped unnecessarily in a car for a road trip that only occurs for some ridiculous reason. Christopher Plummer, always good, does work in his role. His charm, his age, working with a kid...loved him. The amount of 1 star and 10 star reviews for this is bizarre. It's not that good or that bad. It's about average.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great watch
Lillium011 May 2021
Great feel-good movie, with real depth & lots of laughs!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plummer can't save this wreck.
ianrogers21 June 2018
Christopher Plummer was good (he always is) but the rest of the film fell flat. Casting was off, story dull.
67 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One helluva Ride!
katbeal3324 July 2019
I am not sure what the bad ratings were for because we must have watched a totally different movie! I laughed and cried and cannot say enough. The acting was spot on and the story was one adventure after another. I loved the casting, animals and of course the story. A total hit.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely
tirzaweggemans7 August 2020
Really enjoyed it. Feel good movie. Relationships, growing op, being different. Music of the eighties, humor.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is clearly being smeared on IMDb...it's a good film.
MaesterOfWargs21 June 2018
Ignore the bizarre posts below mine just trying to smear the film for... political reasons? I'm not sure. Boundaries is a solid indie film that had my entire theater laughing throughout. The acting was very good--Christopher Plummer was, no surprise, great.

This is worth a theater watch. Maybe the trolls need to buy some of what Chris Plummer's character in the film is selling and chill out a little. lol
89 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A comedy without comedy
jobachamberlain27 June 2018
Are you bored? Want to see what depths that boredom chasm you can reach? Watch this movie.
18 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sad Day for the other actors and crew
nic127-713-40210422 June 2018
It's sad that the other actors and crew will not have many viewing this movie! Honestly it really is horrible anyway. It's not funny like claimed. Plot is boring and you find yourself just wanting it to be over so you can be the first to the bathroom
45 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
Bthomas6822 June 2018
Simply a horrible movie. Slow paced, boring, and not very funny. The film had promise but failed to deliver on any level.
44 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.