I'm Not Here (2017) Poster

(I) (2017)

We've all been here.
garypihl12 January 2018
As a mature adult male, I saw so many parallels to my own life/loves/mistakes/regrets that it was hard to watch at some points. But isn't that what good films can do? Take you so deep into the character (J.K.Simmons is great!) that you feel their pain. A must see for anyone who's ever made a mistake in their life and felt alone.
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
mikkiparker8 March 2019
Excellent story showing struggles of an old drunk man who fights his addiction all his life, slowly ruining it till he's left alone. The storyline is short and filled with really touching moments. Definitely recommend.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bravura Mr. Simmons
ferguson-67 March 2019
Greetings again from the darkness. So many are haunted by the past - unable to move beyond either having been dealt a bad hand or having created one through their own actions. The film opens on a gaunt Steve (JK Simmons), alone in his apartment, and seemingly barely functioning. He is contemplating suicide with a shiny gun he keeps on a coffee table in a home as unkempt as himself. His only breaks are to frantically search the house for another bottle of vodka, or to listen to a phone message that kicks off yet another painful memory.

The film features three timelines for Steve: the despondent, suicidal elder; the twenties and thirties version (Sebastian Stan); and the 1960's childhood Stevie (Iain Armitage, "Young Sheldon"). Those young years for Stevie recall his always-annoyed mom (Mandy Moore) and his fun-loving dad (Max Greenfield), while the young adult years show us his romance and marriage with Karen (Maika Monroe). It's not long before we recognize the common thread that binds the timelines: alcoholism. First his dad's, then his own.

Our memories tend to return in moments and flashes of events. This becomes more evident and the memories less reliable when years of alcohol abuse are in play. The flashes include the courtroom and judge of his parents' divorce, his dad drinking, his own courting of Karen and the booze that accompanied it, the dissolution of his own marriage, and an unspeakable tragedy that ruined his life without taking it ... something he is looking to remedy with that gun.

JK Simmons is remarkable here. His Steve is mired in loneliness, depression, guilt, and regrets - each amplified through booze. Simmons' performance offers up not a single line of dialogue. He never leaves the apartment. He never has human interaction. Yet despite all of this, he never leaves our thoughts as he pinballs through his memories. Mr. Stan and Ms. Monroe provide the most telling scene outside of Simmons' segments. Notice the difference in demeanor as he tells her he heard the shot when his dad killed himself vs how she states her mother died from cancer. This is the contrast of moving on no matter what life serves up, or being burdened with that weight forever.

The film was directed by Mr. Simmons' wife Michelle Schumacher, and she co-wrote the screenplay with Tony Cummings (son of Emmy winning actor Robert Cummings). Mr. Cummings also appears as the judge in the divorce hearing. The film was originally shown in 2017, but is only now getting released. For fans of JK Simmons, it's a must see.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a headsmasher of bad conscience
ops-525359 March 2019
J.k.simons are the old man in this pretty heartbreaking, and spiritual filmmaking, and doing that without uttering one word through the whole film. its kind of final countdown ,and an alltime high on reminiscence with flashback that every elderly person goes through without remorse either the memories are good or bad,they will always turn up.

the flashback of childhood and young adulthood are the real booster of this drama, and the acting are great all over the castline,but especially the childactors are good. the settings and timewise production design make everything believable. the score are just a sound in the background,but when the feature songs comes it is so darn perfect..the filmography are great, and the changing between light and dark, at times nearly black to colour are brilliantly done. slowpaced yes, but try to unwrap yourself from it , thats a difficult task...

the grumpy old man,who are experiencing similar experiences of life like the main character, does recommend this, and with 8 to 10 stars awarded
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A motion picture study of the affects of alcoholism
frackann198710 March 2019
I'm Not Here is a movie that follows the lead character Steve throughout three time periods of his life in a journey through the affects that alcoholism has on a family and the alcoholic. JK Simmons plays the older version of Steve and gives a fantastic performance of an aging alcoholic without saying a single word in the entire movie. But his performance is also part of the movie's weaknesses. Too much time is spent of his older years where Sebastian Stan as a younger adult version and Ian Armitage as the child version of Steve carry the film. Seeing their interactions with his parents and later his wife and child carry the emotional weight of the film. It could have easily been a great picture if more was focused on those time periods. As the picture is, it still is a good film that makes you think of your choices throughout life.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Raw
grescap10 March 2019
I'm still (two days later) processing the feelings aroused by this film. All of the actors who portrayed Steve were gripping. JK Simmons was at the forefront with his raw pain. Sebastian Stan made me fall in love with young Steve, and ache for his bad and celebrate his better choices, and young Steve was brought so fully to life with the brilliant, young Iain Armitage.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it.
kanounikania2 March 2019
I don't really know why it has got 6.1, it's a great emotional movie, Sebastian Stan and J. K Simons are great, too! Why 6.1?
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Splendid.
nouralwani-6457911 March 2019
Excellent cast. Excellent acting. Simmons' performance is very touching and it astounding, so is Sebastian's. Honestly, Sebastian absolutely took me away with his talent. The movie really makes you think about your own actions and how everything affects everything. Definitely would watch it again
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A definitely "must see" movie
dimitra-nanou10 March 2019
This is a beautiful, sad and haunting movie. And although I cried like a baby I would recommend to every one to see.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm not a fan.
deloudelouvain14 March 2019
I'll be blunt, like some others I'm not a big fan of this movie. Too slow paced, made me struggle to stay awake, and to be honest not that of a great story, or just a story that has been done before. An alcoholic looking back on his life and on what went wrong at some point, struggling with commiting suicide or not, it could have been something but in the end it's just an average movie. J.K. Simmons has the easiest role in his career as he doesn't say one word during the entire movie, he just have to look sorry and sad and doesn't have to remember one single line. I don't say the acting was bad, but it's just not a movie I will remember. In a couple days I will have forgotten everything about this movie.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor work
myradiator12 March 2019
Sorry to say this, but this is something unfinished, even the duration of the films 1 h 21 min nowadays looks like a short film to me. This movie is something a group of students could do, except getting famous actors who unfortunaltely do not show any good acting skills here due to poor directing. Characters and the story is lacking deeper development.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie I've seen in a long time
osimmons-5332511 March 2019
Everything about this movie is incredibly well done. The cinematography is stunning, the acting is superb (as one could have predicted, considering the star-studded and talented cast) and the storyline is compelling and deeply moving. Everyone needs to see this, to show it to their friends, and to really talk about it. Truly the best film I've seen in a very long time.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
story about love and death
ahmad-nesta3 April 2019
This movie really touched me, it's very emotional though I think it's an unfinished work! This is very disappointing an hour and a quarter isn't enough :(
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.