A Very Sordid Wedding (2017) Poster

Great movie with most beautiful and current portrayal of pressing social issues
terry-johnson301515 November 2017
Loved this movie and it's great actors and especially bringing to light some of the most important social issues that we as American citizens are facing and dealing with. Like the movie 'Sordid Lives" I think that this movie will help many questioning and fearful young people to deal and accept themselves just as they are.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love It.
crystalka5 November 2017
I don't know what anyone could ask for in a movie covering the topics covered. You get both sides of the story, regardless of your ultimate belief on homosexuality or same sex marriage. The comedy and story line is wonderful. I recently lost my mother and a certain hospital scene with the mother of one of the characters reminded me so much of my southern mama I couldn't help but laugh and remember her in a way that wasn't sad. Del Shores has proved a story can be written on a controversial topic and all sides can be addressed with humor, not complete hate.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great follow up, 17 years in the making
jtlindsay-919675 November 2017
I saw this movie at an LBBTQ film festival in Winston Salem, NC and had the opportunity to meet members of the cast after. It's a fun follow up from Sordid Lives and I can only hope there's another installment sooner than later. A great reminder that love is love and that there's more that unites all of us than the things we allow to divide us. Portrayed with love, warm humor, and fun, it's a great continuation of the Sordid Lives franchise.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a wonderful Movie!
alexbstanley5 November 2017
An amazing ensemble cast brings us hilarity in the face of oppression. Leslie Jordan is brilliant! Del Shores' writing and directing is fantastic. Lots of fun and a wake up call for bigots everywhere. (Oh, and a shout-out to Whoopi Goldberg!) Do not miss this Gem of an independent film!
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There's a backstory, but the movie works well even if you don't know it
Red-12521 October 2017
A Very Sordid Wedding (2017) was written and directed by Del Shores. In 2000, Shores directed Sordid Lives, and, after that, there was a Sordid Lives series on LOGO. (Everyone in the theater apparently knew all about LOGO, but I had to look it up.)

Before we saw the movie, we read the publicity that told us that there was a backstory to this new movie. However, for us the movie was hilarious, so you can enjoy it without knowing the backstory.

The film is set in Winters, Texas. It's a great example of a conservative, Bible-oriented small town. However, there are some dissenting people among the crowd.

One of them is Latrelle Williamson, played perfectly by Bonnie Bedelia. The other cast members are also very good actors, including Leslie Jordan as Earl 'Brother Boy' Ingram, and Emerson Collins as Billy Joe Dobson.

Whoopi Goldberg has an important cameo role as Rev. Abernatha Coleman.

This is the type of movie that's hard to describe. Something funny happens, and then something funnier happens, and then all hell breaks loose. It will work on the small screen, but it would be better in a theater. This isn't because of the larger image. It's because once an audience starts to laugh during a movie like this, the laughter builds on itself, and everything appears even funnier. (In fact, if you see the movie on the small screen, invite some friends over to watch it with you.)

Del Shores and Emerson Collins attended the screening and participated in a Q&A session afterwards. I didn't have a question, but I had a comment: "My compliments on portraying a serial killer in such a way that you felt sympathy, rather than anger, towards him." That couldn't have been easy.

We saw this film at Rochester's excellent Little Theatre, as part of Image Out, the great Rochester LGBT Film Festival. This is a wonderful movie, and worth seeking out.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun movie with a great message
gennypettifer5 November 2017
This movie does a great job of pointing out how hypocritical and small- minded some "righteous" folks can be without being overbearing. It's sweet and funny and isn't afraid to poke fun at itself. I felt like it illustrated how everyone has a story and that learning a person's story is more important than jumping to conclusions. I really had a great time watching this movie.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a great sequel
willburksii24 April 2017
This movie doesn't disappoint. I'm glad that Del Shores developed these delightful characters to a logical resolution with this long overdue sequel. Whoopi Goldberg's appearance in the movie is cast perfectly and her dialogue sums the plot up so very nicely. My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed this special screening at Texas Tech University, as well as the Q & A with Del Shores following the movie.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
EVERYTHING Sordid fans have been waiting for!!! A+
LDKimbell18 July 2017
I wish that I could crawl inside of the brilliant mind of Del Shores and find out what has kept him writing original and fresh comedy for decades! If you are fan of the original Sordid Lives movie, then you will love A Very Sordid Wedding. Not only does it catch you up with what has been going on with all your favorite characters, but there is a wonderful message for today....in 2017. Equality! Love! Hope! Tolerance! Peace! This movie will make you laugh, cry, tinkle your pants as you're screaming laughing and cheer! Don't miss this wonderful movie which I think could also be called The Gospel According to Dell!
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
hilarious continuation of the sordid story
fbeninger25 October 2017
loved the sequel to the original sordid story. Beloved cast again made me laugh over and over. So many messages contained about acceptance of so many different social issues, gay and straight, family and real family, racial, social, and just zany. as far as it feeling that it was filmed in the 80's? well of course. that wasn't an accident. Some of these small minded communities act like they are still in the 80's or even older. What were you expecting, over the top CGI like star wars? put your differences aside and sit back an enjoy a movie where somebody isn't being kidnapped, shot, terrorized, or beaten. Laugh for a change. It will do you good.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible film! It's a "must-see" movie.
rweissman9 June 2017
"A Very Sordid Wedding" is an incredibly funny, yet very important film. The movie combines humor (and it is roll-in-the-aisles-side-splitting funny, so get ready to laugh out loud), wonderful writing, serious performances from its remarkable cast, with a deep insight into how the LGBT movement goes forward by confronting religious intolerance in America's churches. After all these years, we are again visited by the comical cast and characters of the "Sordid Lives" story. Del Shores, Emerson Collins and the remarkable cast outdid themselves with this movie. This film is the best one I have seen in a long, long time and should be a "must-see" movie for everyone. This movie will soon be seen as a classic. Go see it!
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sordidly, Splendidly Spectacular!
gsherri6818 June 2017
I have been enamored with these zany Texas folks for-EVER, and have anxiously awaited this "wedding" episode". Del Shores is a master at creating true-to-life, down-to-earth characters...and, "love 'em or hate 'em", you WILL, by God, remember them...and even quote them in your daily life. Don't scoff at this -- you will! I can't tell you how often I ignore that invisible bubble above my brain containing what I truly WANT to reply to someone, but instead, i think of Brother Boy, tap my finger on my chin, and simply respond with a quiet..."Mmmmmmmkayyyyyy..." And there's no telling how many "Sweet Baby Jesus-es" I utter on a daily basis:).

Del started as an actor and stand up comedian, I know... but beyond his pretty face and beneath his razor-sharp, creative wit, there is a deep well of passion for equality and inclusion. He's not afraid to mix in social issues with story lines. As a peaceful activist myself, I believe that hearts and minds can be opened with 'art' -- theater, dance, books, music, painting -- with ALL creative media. We humans are a weird bunch -- we tend to stick with what we know -- and many of us stay in that "...but that's the way we've always done it" mode. Here's the thing: it's hard to continue resenting others once you truly know them -- hear their story -- identify some of their feelings and experiences as similar to your own. Del digs deep with his creations...you do get to 'know' his folks. And I'm betting that some -- maybe even all -- of any fears or negative cognitions you might've had about a particular segment of our society, will be reduced, or perhaps even eliminated.

Folks, DO go see "A Very Sordid Wedding". It is well written, the actors are superb, the laughs are non-stop, and the poignant nuggets of wisdom and enlightenment are heartwarming. Like every work of Mr. Del Shores, this jewel humbly reminds us humans that we are all more alike than different. It encourages us to live authentically, to not take ourselves so seriously, and to enjoy life with passion and integrity. Oh, yes...and, most importantly... to love one another. Yep... I think Del feels, as I do, that that's why we're on Planet Earth: to LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

I remember reading that ... in a Book... a long time ago.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth the Wait!
girlree30 June 2017
Loved A Very Sordid Wedding! It was great seeing all these talented and funny people together again. I have missed them. No one tells a story quite like Del Shores. There is so much about his dysfunctional families that we relate to our own families. It takes a stand for marriage equality without preaching and makes you laugh in the process.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Very Sordid Wedding
jimatkef29 June 2017
Del Shores' new A Very Sordid Wedding is hilariously funny with a cast of terrific actors. Of course, Leslie Jordan is front and center as Brother Boy and such a great comic. Co-producer Emerson Collins as the tatted Billy Jo Dobson, escaped murderer, plays the role perfectly. A surprise is Whoopi Goldberg as a marryin' minister and Levi Kreis is the perfect mis-informed bigot Baptist minister. Another co-producer, Louise Beard, is perfect as Little Aunt Neecy who can truly heave a TV remote! If you enjoyed the original Sordid Lives, this film is equal to or better and will make your sides hurt from laughing. Don't miss it!
The saga continues....
mstryeyes28 June 2017
I was one of the lucky ones who was able to experience this new release on the big screen at The Kentucky Theatre in Lexington, Kentucky this past week! As a huge fan of the first movie, my expectations were high! And, Del Shores and the cast did not disappoint. Having grown up in a Southern Baptist household and church, I relate to these characters. Bravo, Del Shores and Cast! Everyone in our world today needs to watch this movie.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OPPS! I think I wet myself!!!!!
keygraphics24 June 2017
Del Shores and the complete cast have given me and a full house crowd one wild laugh after another. There was even a moment when the entire madcap house was brought to profound whimpers and tears as the story evolved. I have not experienced such emotional whiplash since Sally Field and Steel Magnolias.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A MUST see for EVERYONE!!!!
john-4362824 June 2017
WOW!!! Absolutely amazing...well done Del! You made us proud, and seeing our own wedding picture (with our full names) in the credits of the film made it even more special! This is a MUST SEE....you will laugh...think...and definitely cry,. OUTSTANDING ********** I will definitely be going to see this again and will be purchasing once available on DVD.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soooo funny
spikeindfw15 March 2020
I traditionally do post reviews. I liked this movie. When you need to laugh watch this movie and this movie will most definitely do that. The special appearances are well placed in this film as well as the locals from Texas.
A hidden gem
fiona-tamburrini30 November 2019
Found this in a dark corner of Sky Movies and was instantly hooked. Every performance is brilliantly played, every actor is comedy gold and the comic timing and acting is perfect. It's really amazing how these actors can looking like they are really these characters and they look like it's a normal conversation. I think the actors must surely be ad-libbing. If not, the writing is genius
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I will always Love Sordid Lives forever. This is a must SEE CRAZY FUNNY !!!
danielkinney19 March 2018
My only complaint was BETH GRANT not playing SISSY. I know it will still be good. I am watching it right now. I wish Beth Grant could have worked out something with Del Shores , it. just won't be the same. IT would like somebody trying to play BRO BOY ( LESLIE JORDAN) it would be like using JACK from WILL AND GRACE TO PLAY BRO BOY. I ALSO miss our GOLDEN GIRL, Rue McClanahan(RIP). I will say this the person he got to play Sissy , just does not bring the FUNNY of our Beloved SISSY HICKY. I have loved her in all her movies. no one can replace BETH GRANT the original SISSY. I think Del maybe should have waited to do this at a later date when BETH GRANT could do it, and a bigger budget. NO one wants to say anything bad about our SORDID LIVES because we love them. But as some have pointed out this may have been done on a quick dime. I wish I had a few million $$$ to loan him to make this what it once was. I would have paid $5Million to Beth Grant just to get her to do it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Del Shores hits it out of the park!
darrellcard6 November 2017
I was so excited to receive my copy of A Very Sordid Wedding recently and couldn't let the day end without watching it immediately! Having loved Sordid Lives and the memories it created watching it with special friends, I was super excited for what was to come. While Wedding took on some issues I didn't expect, it made the movie all the better! The hilarity of the plot with it's throw back and continuation of Sordid Lives, the poignant lessons were extremely well written and executed. I hope Wedding finds it way into the hands of so many people who still need to learn the lessons of equality and love. Go, Aunt Sissy! I need to start reading my bible!
very sordid wedding
clporter-092485 November 2017
This long anticipated film was met with great enthusiasm and energy. It was great to see the characters from eh series and a few new ones. Laughed through the movie, but not without sad moments and the loss of characters that so made the series rich and enjoyable. A must see the off the maintain comedy that makes us all think.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Relevant and funny, a winning combination!
tammy-647625 November 2017
Such a great follow up to Sordid Lives! Del Shores knocked it out of the park with his storytelling and wit. It is hilarious and poignant at all the right times. Fun to watch with so many one liners to remember. Thanks Del for bringing small town Texas to the rest of the country once again ~ complete with a gay wedding! I have family in East Texas and this is so right on. Do yourself a favor and see this movie!!
A great reunion of "Sordid Lives" characters
robbiex-944495 November 2017
We really enjoyed this "reunion of "Sordid Lives" characters, picking up the original story line some 17 years later. We loved the characters in the first film, and it was fun to see what happened to each since then. It was great to see Ty, who had been struggling to accept his sexuality in the first film. Now Ty is married to handsome Kyle, and they both are gay rights activists as they try to get married in each U.S. state. They finally return to Ty's hometown in Texas to fight the religious bigotry Ty endured there as a teenager. We also enjoyed watching Brother Boy, now long-since released from the mental hospital, but still haunted by Dr. Eve (Evil). I loved Latrelle, sisters Sissy and Vera, neighbor Noleta, and bar friends C.W., Wardell, Juanita (I forget.) and Odell in the first film. I was happy to how they turned out in this film. If you loved "Sordid Lives" and know people like all these comical characters, you will love "A Very Sordid Wedding." The film is a blast!
Fantastical
shannon_g5 November 2017
Loved the next chapter of Sordid Lives!! The characters have become Icons to gay Community!, Thank You Del for another glimpse into the lives of some of the Funniest people I would Lve to know!! I hope people watch with the attitude of being entertained, And Not be too judgmental.
Awesome!
me-149415 November 2017
I adore Del! This was an excellent sequel to Sordid Lives. Del Shores once again gives our community a voice. He gives young people courage to stand against bigotry. Having grown-up in the Bible belt I am no stranger to hate disguised as Christian love. Del always knocks the bigots off their pulpits. Bless you. Noleta sends her love!