Beyond the Edge (2018) Poster

Beyond the Pale, more like...
CinemaSerf25 November 2021
This benefits from quite a decent (if hardly novel) premiss. Handsome gambler "Mayki" (Milos Bikovic) assembles a team of likeminded experts in order to make a killing in the casino. What gives them the edge? Well, they have supernatural powers and can manipulate the roulette wheel, the cards - you name it. The flaw, well they are not the only team out there with this idea (or quirks). What now ensues is a sort of "Ocean's 2½" type affair with virtually nothing original; a lead actor who clearly has delusions of being Zac Efron or Dan Stevens, with a script that could have been written by an eight year old and all of this topped off with some curious appearances from Antonio Banderas as "Gordon" (no, not "Flash"). The narrative (and rather annoying narration) is all over the place and the characters are quite comical - though never in a way the directors would have intended. There are some half way decent visual effects at the end, but sadly this all leaves us with a rather poorly concluded, frankly bizarre, amalgam of themes that takes 100 minutes of your life and returns very little.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If it's on while you're multitasking, it's okay for background noise.
rsvp32123 April 2018
Zero new ideas, in this one - you will recognise styles and plot points blatantly taken from other successful movies, and mashed them together to give us this mixed up thing.

Not as bad as Asylum movies, but I have no respect for this type of "borrowing".
26 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A waste of talent
bastos23 June 2020
While visually striking, a terrible screenplay makes this a hard film to judge. Some ideas and concepts are OK but they're buried under a pedestrian and cliche ridden screenplay that makes the viewing experience very frustrating. I was rooting for this movie to work but with scenes of people full of really strong powers being subdued by goons with guns made me sad with disbelief.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too many parts U don't really understand
the_doofy15 April 2018
The movie is 'cool and has some special effects and good acting, so what does it matter that a viewer doesn't really get what is going on at key points of the movie, especially at the end. Its a cool movie damit !

I wouldn't know who to blame for this, the director? The script?

I guess most viewers will see a nude king and ooo and ahh at the non existent clothes

Dramatic finale makes no sense
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could Have Been Good
rutzelb13 June 2018
Con man Maykl (pronounced Michael) (Milos Bikovic) is conned out of $5-Million and gathers a group of people with Supernatural and Psychic powers to get it back within 7-days, before the Casino boss kills him..

This started out really good, but degraded into something else mostly because the background music was too loud and it was very difficult to hear conversations especially when Gordon (Antonio Banderas) is on screen. Sometimes it's difficult to hear him (Banderas) because of his accent, but when the background music chimes in, then it's almost impossible. All we really know about him is that he is aware of what Michael is up to and kind of lets us know he was pulling the strings all along. But is that true because we couldn't really hear his explanations; and, oh, yes he is Michael's father and wants Michael to team up with him for more con games.

Okay, add one more thing: most of the dialogues were dubbed in and this was most annoying.

Much CGI is used and it was okay, but ran a little long sometimes when a character goes into oblivion in his or her own mind. Okay, we get it, these people are not normal in the normal sense.

When a pretty Veronica (Lyubov Aksyonaova) goes into a coma we go into a series of strange sights and emotions as Michael get s into her mind and tries to get her back to normalcy. Her power was that she could make anyone do what she wanted, and this led me to believe that Michael didn't need all the others to get the $5-million back. He could have just used her, but then we wouldn't have had a movie, right? (right, except not sure we have one now)

Basically, this is a Russian production with a lot of CGI going on. Cut out the loud background music and dubbing and we might have had a good movie. Okay, okay and cut down on some of the CGI, too.

Like I said, this started out very good with Michael narrating what he is up to. Then when he gets conned, we lose the narrative and have to guess about everything else. When he recruits his "special people" it's done in such a way that we are not too convinced these "people "are convinced to follow him, but they do (movies can do anything they want). Kind of loose scenes here, see? (3/10)

Violence: Yes. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Humor: Brief. Language: Only one GDI heard. Rating: D
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible
the_nephilim7115 April 2019
I honestly can't think of anything nice to say about this movie...it's just plain awful.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie with worst acting.
Shayankhan-75268 July 2021
Believe me it could have been one of the most greatest movie of 2021 due to its unique idea. But its VFX and acting and most importand soung sucks. Other than that whole movie was really very good.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was this?
aevaughn-7730511 January 2019
This was some CW level type movie making...

1. Bad voice overs that have a 1 second delay 2. Acting is soooooo bad 3. CGI was pretty good for a B movie 4. The EDM/pop music was terrible and way too loud to even pay attention to the dialogue
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film
kuuk327 September 2018
Its more a 7 out of 10, but am giving it 10 to help the rating. Its X-men meets Ocean's 11. A group of teens with superpowers decide to rob a Casino. Very watchable, with good-enough acting. A charming lead, great special effects and an arch that shows how the team progress. It starts off on a high, and while you do have to suspend logic occasionally (such as how our lead found everyone), this was a very enjoyable watch which I would happily buy the blu-ray for, as the scenes in the psychic world are screen-saver beautiful!
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What?????
EmmeCHammer24 March 2019
The dubbing was absolutely the worst I've ever seen, I don't know if the lead was good or not because the voice over was the worst thing I've ever heard, couldn't get thru it!! This is the lowest rating I've ever given and for people to give this a 10 should be banned from this website unless they're kin to someone that had something to do with this movie, then you would be forgiven and just put on probation. I'm turning the channel as we speak, so I'm sorry is I offended anyone but a rating of 8 or more WHAT THE....??????
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inception meets X-Men and go on a heist
malice_o_conner5 May 2018
First, understanding this is not Hollywood, not even American. Yet a strong line-up of actors, including Antonio Banderas. The film has lots of deep and quick paced banter. Also with packed visual injections of mental worlds. The array of effects works well with the style and visual design of the film. There is plenty to understand in the quick paced dialogue that was well written, and delivered. (Albeit they are not "A List" actors/actresses.) They work well together in a clever story of intrigue, deception, and fun, similar to Now You See Me, Euro style. The setting of Russia is a little presence, but in the Casino world it may as well be Las Vegas. Still, the film is following the protagonist who is pushed into more than he could bargain for. Going through an Oceans 11 style recruitment for special powered individuals. Together they will unite as a team to pull off a heist, which may be the ultimate heist. The dialogue is important, but if the audience is American, be prepared for some subtle differences. It holds ideas, dreams, and stunning visual representations of the mind, (for a lower budget Euro movie) they didn't have to cater to English speaking but it's a fun ride, with plenty to consider by the end.
14 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
POOR Antonio
onelonedolphin-3838927 August 2020
Just keep scrolling for another flick folks...if you're thinking (like Iwas) ...COOL! Another Antonio movie I've never seen-grab snacks & push play....SAVE YOURSELVES (-; soundtrack is flat-robotic-this production has no direction-borrowed plots-utter failure to "educate, entertain, & enlighten" because it was created by amateurs who have no formal training. Perfect candidate for MST3K
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected.
theanomaloushost18 June 2021
I just don't get these negative reviews. The special effects aren't bad. The story is decent. The acting is fine (even if Antonia Banderas is in a glorified cameo role that he just sleepwalks through just waiting for the paycheck).

And more importantly, it stays relatively grounded with the magical abilities. There isn't really any of that, "We're screwed until Mr. So-And-So decides to pull this deus-ex-machina ability out of his bum to save everyone." As in it's more of an Ocean's 11 than an Ocean's 12.

It starts off relatively grounded, with this guy who knows sleight of hand, how to read people, and how to count cards, trying to pull off a big win/con, only for it all to backfire horribly when he gets duped by a man who knows real magic. So now that he knows real magic users exist, he naturally goes searching for real magicians, eventually assembles a crew, and proceeds to pull off a casino heist using their abilities.

I love that the assembled team doesn't start off that well. These are magicians who have powers, but have never utilized them in such a deliberate manner, so they start off terrible when it comes to manipulating dice rolls, messing with slot machines, telepathic communication, etc. Even by the end, they aren't exactly masters of the craft, just amateurs who have improved to about intermediate level, capable of working as a team.

Of course, the filmmakers decide to throw in some Inception-inspired dream stuff during the finale more-or-less for the hell of it (and in all fairness, it's more dream-like than what Inception did). Some of the rules (for magic and inception-world) are a little wonky and head-scratching, even if the plot twist on how they get out of this dead-end trap is predictable (that they would get out of it wasn't the issue, it's the how they get out of it is a bit wonky; there's setup for it, but it's still a bit strange). But it's not insulting to the intelligence, especially compared to other heist films I've seen.

This isn't a masterpiece, but it is a solid B-movie. The only problem I had with it was this waste-of-time epilogue that seems to setup for a sequel that's never coming. That, and the over-dubbing took some getting used to. But all in all, I had fun with this. It entertained me, and that's all I wanted out of this film.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All the genres i like rolled into one
idadaspida331 March 2020
If you like sci-fi, heist, con teams, supernatural and action, this has it all and I enjoyed the heck out of it.. Remember folks it is not a Hollywood movie and a nice change from typical straight one genre movies..like to see actors i don't know sometimes.
Simple
drdilarayazici20 August 2018
Nice idea poor filming.. seeing antonio made it watchable..
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother
mjalshamsi19 July 2019
Save your time, I have no idea what I was watching???!!!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An 1:50:00 that I'll never get back!
u-noe-mi-naim30 November 2020
Is there some way where I can give this movie a negative half of a half of a half of a half of a quarter of a half of star?

This film, if that's what you want to call it, is just plain awful. There were plot wholes throughout the flick to include several WTF moments during the 3rd act. Despite the bad screenplay and the wooden lead actor from the acting school of Zack Morris, you can tell someone really wanted to make an Ocean's Eleven mesh Now You See Me, X-Men like scifi/thriller heist movie. The effects on a $5million budget wasn't half bad if this was for one of WB's DC 23 episode series.

You're better off watching the movies up top in no particular order for 6 hours than losing 2 hours on this mind numbing child's fantasy filmed wrong.

Move along people take my word for it... there's nothing to see here.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie is great if you watch with an open mind but don't expect like Hollywood Thriller
mkbbd24 December 2018
First of all I want to say this movie is a Si-Fi movie with a heist story. And it was directed by Russians with Russian actors and actress. I watched both the English dubbed and original Russian version with English Subtitles. The movie may not be like Hollywood Style flick with combat and killing but this has a good story and the cast looked authentic as if they have real super powers. The pace of the movie was not bad at all but some parts left more questions than answers. Antonio Banderas seems more like a cameo appearance here and the main actor Lyubov Aksyonova did a great job with the story and his team as he seemed more like Johnny Depp . The only problem with the movie was some scenes were felt like rushed and the cast left clueless maybe because of the Director I think. But other than that the movie is really great and enjoyable. I think in the end they left open for a sequel to pickup. The music used in this movie were also top notch. And if you like Christopher Nolan's Inception and 2008's 21 movie starring Jim Sturgess then surely you will like this. This movie does have great story, exciting Visual effects, fact pace and some memorable moments and it deserve a rating 6 out of 10.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confusion all the way
CFDeeDee28 December 2018
I know the main idea of the movie was to steal some money from the casino .. but let's face it .. what happened by the end ? How did they really got out with it ? And how did they leave without being caught ? And what happened when they both fell unconscious? It was very confusing and the acting was very boring, the main charecter had a "radio" voice rather than acting voice ! And it was sooo weird to fall in love with someone you barely knew in one week.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a mess
i-radakovic99214 May 2018
This movie is all over the place. The storyline is really bad, makes no sense,and you can clearly see that the script wasnt written right. You can clearly see that it was inspired by Ocean's eleven, Inception,and Marvel and DC movies all at the same time, and the result of that is complete chaos. Many dialogs don't make sense at all.
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unwatchable garbage
layersofsediment1 December 2020
Antonio Banderas is in it. Oh.

What's with the absurd dubbing?

What's with the ridiculous CGI?

Why are 99.9999% of movies utter, total, unwatchable GARBAGE?

Oh that's right: Hollywood UNIONS.

Unions destroy every industry they infest: cars, schools, police.

Communist unions destroy.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Apple + Orange = Lemon
soloncircus17 April 2021
It was impossible to recover from the shock that a film proclaims itself to be the story of a "confidence artist," but does not know the meaning of the term. It would be like trying to watch "The Terminator" with the plot itself dubbing him an "insurance fraudster." The mind cannot wrap around it. It is too absurd to "willingly suspend disbelief."

There is no grifting in the film by gaining the "confidence" of "marks." It actually is about casino cheaters at cards and dice. This very strange malapropism, used frequently, corrupts all meaning in the plot, and destroys it from within.
Poor Banderas...
GwydionManx26 October 2021
An interesting idea, interesting CGI, but a completely mindless screenplay. The dubbing is weird so dialogues, besides the horrible screenplay, sound really strange. About Banderas, I'm still trying to understand how he got involved in this, let's call it, movie. Is his career going downhill?

In few words: Awful to watch...
Much better than I thought
veroguerra328 March 2021
Visuals are very well done, including the special effects and cgi. The story is solid, and it is not slow at all.

The ending is not confusing at all: 1) these people with special abilities are working together (to what end is not clear, but that's enough) and not alone as it was hinted since the beginning 2) Michael now helps/works with his father, as his father meant since he appeared on screen, and it's mentioned that he was training Michael for years now.

Follow the story, is not difficult at all.
"Wha-a-at?"
s_lyda5 June 2019
I can't believe all the low scores for this movie!

I came into it about 3/4 of the way in. I couldn't follow the storyline because I have poor hearing and I needed CC. BUT, I still set it to record because I loved the music and the artistic effects. I was enthralled with watching it.

Although, when I could hear and understand, there were times when I did a double take and said, "Wha-a-at?" I don't know if it was supposed to be comedy, but it fell flat.

I may be wrong. That's why I recorded it. I'll update this review after I've seen it alone and with CC.
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.