Life of the Party (2018) Poster

(I) (2018)

Why all the hate?
TheTopDawg29 July 2018
I'm shocked at this low score. I guess you're either a fan of Melissa McCarthy or you're not, and seeing that I am, I really enjoyed this film. It was constant laughs and one scene where I can't remember laughing so hard for so long - I had to rewind that scene 3x I laughed so hard! The writing was cute and had a heartfelt story. The acting, directing and editing was all perfect. I really enjoyed this and am sure you will too. A well deserved 9/10 from me!
47 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really wanted to like this movie
mattvolland2 June 2018
When you're watching a comedy and start wondering when you're going to laugh, you know there's a problem. There are some funny moments, Maya Rudolph is good and McCarthy does some physical comedy, but the laughs were few and far between. The only people in the theater who were laughing were the two women next to me and they laughed at nearly everything, so I don't think that's a good judge.

I love Melissa McCarthy and her husband Ben Falcone, who co wrote the movie, but this was a miss. Want to laugh during a McCarthy movie? Try The Heat, Spy, Bridesmaids or The Boss. This film wasn't as bad as Tammy, another movie I really wanted to like, but it was disappointing.
41 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Again?
hebona139910 May 2018
So Hollywood has really run out of ideas. This is such a worn out storyline. Melissa McCarthy looked to be a break out player, but then does this crap. Now she looks to be the next Rob Schneider, which is not a good thing. Instead of paying to see this movie you'd have more fun dropping your cash in the toilet and flushing it.
55 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One laugh in first 25 minutes
Dan_L29 May 2018
Yes, my wife and I laughed once in the first 25 minutes of this dreadful, brainless, and frighteningly unfunny film (and that was when Melissa McCarthy's character gets blown across the lawn). I realize that this film appeals to the funny bones of some viewers, but objectively speaking it is a very sorry excuse for a comedy. We both like Melissa McCarthy. We really enjoyed her in "The Heat," "Bridesmaids," and "St Vincent" where she really got to act. She's been great on "Saturday Night Live." But in this film, she's got lousy material to work with and she sinks to its level. With one laugh in 25 minutes, we availed ourselves of the local theater's 30-minute satisfaction guarantee and walked out of the theater and received a refund of the ticket price. It's the first time we've done that since "Dennis the Menace" in 1993.
47 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure why everyone is hating on this film???
youngma-3803612 May 2018
I thought this was a hilarious movie and I was pleasantly surprised at the positive energy the characters had and there were some good twists. People who are hating this movie must be pretty close minded because I laughed out loud quite a bit. If you had a fun college/party experience in your past and have a great, fun mom, you will see the humor in it. Sure, it's your average comedy/college movie but I thought it was great! Would recommend seeing it as a mom/daughter experience but my boyfriend loved it too. Also, Maya Rudolph is amazing as always.
41 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie pass is slowly ruining my life (some spoilers)
xshanex-5416116 May 2018
Well, thank God this was free, because I literally laughed one time. (I'm giving it two stars only for the one laugh, and the sake of effort)

It was like a 2 hour episode of fuller house that wanted to be Back to School, but had the comedic value of the most embarrassing sitcoms of all time.

The story everyone is saying is so Touching, is actually absurdly simple minded, and flat out dull. I guess if 50 years olds sleeping with kids that turn out to be their ex husbands new wive's son, is inspirational to you... than have at it.

This movie is so incredibly stupid and unfunny that I actually felt shameful that I dedicated the time and effort to sitting all the way through it.

Thanks movie pass, for lowering my standards so bad that I'll virtually sit through anything now to find a reason to have theater popcorn on a day off...

Good lord... avoid this turd. It's awful.
46 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Funny with a Heart Warming Message
mogansage13 May 2018
This movie had us laughing from start to finish. Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone create such humor in a delightful and fun movie. Cannot stop thinking about it. Melissa is a fabulous and beautiful comedian. Perfectly casted, the others in the movie were great. Need to see it again to ensure I heard all the dialogue. .
48 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even with Melissa McCarthy and the cast trying, Life of the Party feels like a blander and more boing Back to School
RforFilm18 May 2018
You know what is funny? Children going into the adult world and not knowing what to do. You know what's also funny? Adults returning to a youthful place and seeing that they're not hip. Many college movies don't show this, but there are always a fair amount of older adults that have returned to school. I think theirs an image that if someone has to return to school or even start later in life, then their a failure. A long with being completely untrue, Returning to school can actually give you a better understanding where things are economically and reinforce the notion that we never stop learning.

Having said that, when you have to go to school at the same time your children ...and maybe attend the same one, that too opens up the comedy gates. In fact, Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield is an underrated comedy that understands the awkwardness of a father/son team up and of how Dangerfield's eccentric behavior made him popular rather then an outcast. That's what's beautiful about college movies; they can be unpredictable and thus open all kinds of possibilities. So with the idea of Life of the Party doing something similar, you'd hope for something funny, right?

Homemaker mom Deanna Miles (Played by Melissa McCarthy) is sending off her daughter Maddie (played by Molly Gordon) for her senior year in school. Just as their leaving, Deanna's husband Dan asks for a divorce. This also leads her into losing her home and forcing her to stay at her parents place. Sensing that she needs a bigger change and a new direction, she decides to return to college as she gave up her last year to raise her daughter. Her decision to go back to her alma mater, which is also Maddie's school, isn't her daughter's favorite choice, but supports her mother to let it slide.

Deanna studies away to get her degree in Archeology, while also being reintroduced to the world of college, which includes frat parties, hookups in the library and dealing with an odd roommate. After she's given a makeover from her daughter, Deanna starts to become more popular on campus. This goes as far as getting her enducted into her daughters sorority. Deanna seems to have a lot of goals in mind including helping everyone, becoming a teacher, and spiting her ex husband.

While Back to School took advantage of Rodney Dangerfield's character and set a clear goal, Life of the Party seems to be lacking a clear goal and a relatable character. Melissa McCarthy is a talented woman, but she is someone who benefits from good direction and a good script. Director Ben Falcone seems to be focused on the mother/daughter aspect, which can work, but not only takes the predictable route, but doesn't create much contrast between them. Again, comedy only works when you can make some good contrast. You can't have both be the straight woman. Why couldn't her daughter be more of a satire on Millennials or why not let Melissa McCarthy be more on a living-in-the-past mom?

I'll admit that I did laugh at a couple of jokes: mainly the ones involving her daughter's sorority sisters. Many of these young woman all have good timing and know how to play off of each other. I think I would have preferred to get a movie around them. Melessia McCarthy is trying, but seems to be in her own movie. I can't say that it's really bad, but it's just very bland and a repeat of college tropes. Plus, it runs too long without much of a plot other then graduating.

I'll give this four college dorm dry eraser boards out of ten. Like a lot of bad comedies that focuses on the same clichés, this is another autopilot movie. It may have fans whose never seen these kinds of movies, but Back to School is a way better version of this story. Life of the Party makes me want to attend someone else's party.
31 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Waste of Time
augustkellerwrites4 June 2018
Life of the Party is the most painful film I have sat through in many years. It's story lacks any focus or insight and it's characters are maddeningly inconsistent. It's direction is practically nonexistent as scenes are never sure of when to end or what they are culminating to. While Maya Rudolph and others are sometimes refreshing, much of this cast provided limited performances. All around, Life of the Party feels like a mess slapped together by people who couldn't be bothered with ideas of craft.

Melissa McCarthy does provide good energy with her positive confidence but it is not enough to carry such a half-baked project. Improvisation can be a wonderful technique for comedy but when a film seems to have improvised its entire production, it comes across as unprofessional and lazy. Ideas, characters and plot points enter and exit this movie with such carelessness that everything ends up feelings like nothing. Sporadic funny moments are nice but do not offset how insulting this whole experience is. Life of the Party is a dump of a film and a waste of time.

Writing: 1/10 Direction: 1/10 Cinematography: 3/10 Acting: 3/10 Editing: 1/10 Sound: 5/10 Score/Soundtrack: 5/10 Production Design: 3/10 Casting: 3/10 Effects: 4/10

Overall Score: 2.9/10
32 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
FUNNY and sweet, too!
gigiblanche14 May 2018
I requested to see this movie for Mother's Day and I saw it with my son and husband. The movie delivered exactly what I hoped for: lots of laughs. We all three thought it was great. It was funny, and it was sweet, too. I highly recommend seeing it.
51 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was this
jamie44012 May 2018
I like Mellisa McCarthy but this was just a nothing film. No real laughs and a pointless predictable plot that has been done a million times.

It reminded me of the show Brian and James wood wrote on family guy minus the monkey.
42 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
as may have been mentioned before.....
selffamily12 May 2018
This type of film is not going to change the course of humanity, but then neither will most of the movies coming out of hollywood. This is a bit of fun, a pleasant couple of hours with laugh out loud moments. It's not offensive, it's not particularly radical but it IS entertaining and that used to be enough. Apart from wondering why she waited for the husband to divorce her, it was plausible and just silly fun.
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hysterical
I strongly dislike it when all the funny parts of a movie are in a trailer. That was not the case with this movie. It was fresh and absolutely hysterically funny. This has to be my favorite Melissa McCarthy movie thus far. Go see it, you will not be disappointed!
36 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rodney Dangerfield would be disappointed
mkasler10 May 2018
The movie is alright and will help waste time if you need to. McCarthy performs decently, not her best work but not her worst. The main issue is that the movie is too similar to Back to School with Rodney Dangerfield.
39 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So lame
willymiranda30 May 2018
Total waste of my time. Obviously they forgot to test this on audiences before unleashing this on us
30 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
my wife will love this
ops-5253524 June 2018
Well i think this film are great, even though its an empty story and it collapses a bit in the end. melissa mccarthy has this bulldozing behavioral demeanors,that may slap you in the face or hit you in the belly, but it works. its a college flick,and that is an understatement, but some of the wits in this movie hit me like a whip.and that isnt bad considering ego being male 50 yrs i think dwelling to much are unesccesary,but tell the music are great,the mood are ''over the moumtain'',and we can all imagine dragons or theta beta gamma...or whatever....ai laiked it
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pattern is forming
kq99918 June 2018
I love Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone.

They are great together when they are acting in movies and I think it is wonderful that a couple can work together so well.

However, I am starting to see a pattern emerging. Every time Ben Falcone has something to do with the writing or directing of a movie that Melissa McCarthy is in it seems to end up being a real stinker of a movie.

Just a coincidence? I hope so.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WAY Funnier than I expected!!!
paulpoleonsr12 May 2018
I got dragged to this movie because my wife wanted to see it. I went in with low expectations based on the reviews here, don't listen to them. This movie was definitely funny. It is your classic Melissa McCarthy movie, lots of physical comedy; but also a typical sorority/frat college movie minus nudity. Reminded me of back to school meets house bunny meets Melissa McCarthy. It tried too hard for laughs at some points but most McCarthy comedies do. Definitely worth the watch I was expecting sitting for 2 hours hating life, as most movies my wife wants to see usually are, but this was actually pretty damn funny.
23 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good thing I have a moviepass
I'm so glad I have a moviepass as I didn't feel bad getting up and walking out on this terrible movie. I sat and listened to the audience force laughs at this one. The premise is ridiculous and awkward and just doesn't flow well at all. Save your $ and your time. It's terrible.
26 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life of the Party is About as Much Fun as Watching a Sex Scene with Mom.
Stars-and-popcorn11 May 2018
Mother's Day is coming up and so it makes sense that 'Life of the Party' would be the perfect movie for audiences to take their moms to in order to celebrate. However, it's about as much fun as discovering a surprise sex scene in a film you're watching and sitting awkwardly through it with your mother. The film doesn't so much have a plot as it's more an excuse to showcase a number of quirky jokes that requires contorting characters into awkward positions and circumstances in order to work. Take it from personal experience though, anyone can be awkward, but that doesn't make them funny.

Melissa McCarthy has become an actress whose films remain consistently inconsistent. She's had some that she's knocked out of the park, such as Spy. But more often than not her movies often fall just short of being truly great (and sometimes even just good). In 'Life of the Party', she plays a caricature of the typical mom. She laughs at bad jokes, wears gaudy clothes, can't read a room, and is just embarrassing for no reason whatsoever. Her character is going back to college to finish up her senior year and earn her degree. The twist? Well, it just so happens to be her daughter's senior year as well. It's a premise that would have made a fun ongoing Saturday Night Live skit, but after nearly two hours of it all I felt was a sickening amount of second-hand shame for most of the characters involved.

As much as McCarthy tries to lead the ensemble cast onwards and upwards in 'Life of the Party', it was Gillian Jacobs that stole the show. I loved her character in 'Community,' which centered on non-traditional students in college. So, this transition to a character known as "coma girl" who wakes after an 8-year coma to head back to college was a natural progression for her. Honestly, the premise of her character seemed like it would have made for a better movie than 'Life of the Party'. Her sarcastic attitude, optimism, and lingering cognitive impairment was absolutely delightful and managed to keep a number of the scenes afloat. If nothing else, 'Life of the Party' confirmed that Jacobs is an actress we need much, MUCH more of in the future.

'Life of the Party' continues a pleasant trend we've seen in theaters lately with a strong focus on women characters and the twists that they can bring to cliched comedy tropes. 'Blockers' showed the girl perspective of high school with wild and out seniors trying to have the best prom ever to the chagrin of their parents. 'Thoroughbreds' showed that girls can handle the dark buddy comedy just as easily (and perhaps even better) than most guys can. 'Life of the Party' tries to bring that same enlightenment to the college party flick. In a lot of ways, it manages to make it work through the supporting characters. However, McCarthy is a bit too loud and obnoxious throughout the movie to really let it get good enough footing in order to voice its message. That isn't to say that she isn't funny at certain parts. The part where she suffers from severe stage fright during an oral presentation was delightful. These scenes though are few and far between.

I'll admit that the humor that is predominantly used in the film isn't my cup of tea. I've never been a fan of just watching characters consistently embarrass themselves through their journey for no other reason than a few cheap laughs. 'Life of the Party' fails though not because the scenes aren't funny at times, but because the characters never grow from their embarrassing moments. McCarthy never comes around and undergoes the growth that shows the whole journey and all of its hardships were for the best and made her a better person for it. That's because she starts off as a good person, just one that makes you incredibly uncomfortable at times. Things would have been so much better if she had gone from a meek and submissive housewife suffering from years of passive aggressive abuse from a dick of an ex-husband to a strong, confident, and independent woman. This transition though happens after a trip to the bathroom and a quick makeover twenty minutes into the film, leaving nothing for the next hour and a half to do but poke around at various cliches.

I'm sure that lots of people are thinking that 'Life of the Party' is a great excuse to take their mom to the theaters this Sunday. Personally, I don't have the kind of relationship with my mother where I can comfortably laugh at jokes like "va-google" or scenes where a 40 something-year-old repeatedly has sex with a student less than half her age (same goes for male characters in similar situations). It feels too much like 'Life of the Party' has a checklist of college movie tropes that it needed to get through. College rival? Check. Weird roommate? Check. 80's party? Check. So on and so forth. It's not the worst comedy I've seen this year, but it's forgettable one at best. You're better off taking mom to see Infinity War instead this weekend. I'm sure she'll appreciate the 3-Chris' much more than any of McCarthy's jokes.
27 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
This movie had us laughing from start to finish. Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone create such humor in a delightful and fun movie. Cannot stop thinking about it. Melissa is a fabulous and beautiful comedian. Perfectly casted, the others in the movie were great. Need to see it again to ensure I heard all the dialogue. Must see if you're looking for a comedy with great women roles.
32 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
an unfunny, unprofessional mess
dave-mcclain12 May 2018
"Life of the Party" (PG-13, 1:45) is a comedy directed by Ben Falcone and co-written by Falcone and his wife (and star of the film), Melissa McCarthy. That's bad news for Movie Fans. The only feature films that Falcone has written and directed were star vehicles for his wife - "Tammy", "The Boss" and this one - and they're ALL terrible! McCarthy is an Oscar and Golden Globe nominee and Emmy winner whose best comedy movies - like "Spy", "Ghostbusters", "Heat" and "Bridesmaids" - were all directed by Paul Feig. HE knows how to use McCarthy's considerable comedic talents. Too bad Feig didn't direct this one.

McCarthy plays Deanna, a sweet suburban mom whose only child, Maddie (Molly Gordon), is starting her senior year in college. Immediately after Deanna and her husband, Dan (Matt Walsh), drop off Maddie at her sorority house, Dan tells Deanna that he wants a divorce so he can marry his mistress (Emmy winner Julie Bowen). All of this comes as a complete shock to Deanna who leans on her parents (Stephen Root and Oscar and Golden Globe nominee Jacki Weaver) and her best friend (Maya Rudolph). Deanna bemoans the years wasted in her marriage, which included her dropping out of college (because she was pregnant with Maddie) a year before earning her archaeology degree. But then she has an idea.

Deanna re-enrolls in her old college for her senior year, which makes her classmates with her daughter. Maddie has mixed emotions, especially when Deanna starts hanging out at Maddie's sorority house, but Maddie's friends really like having Deanna around and Maddie goes along with it. All of this opens the door for Deanna to go to college parties, sleep with college guys (well, one guy), encourage her creepy roommate (Heidi Gardner) to be less creepy and help Maddie's friends figure out their lives, including inspiring Maddie's academically challenged friend (Gillian Jacobs) to make archaeology her major too. As all this happens, a couple mean-girl college classmates, the divorce proceedings and Dan's impending remarriage become growing sources of frustration for Deanna (or Dee-Rock, as her classmates call her).

"Life of the Party" is an unfunny, unprofessional mess. The movie's premise has potential, but lazy writing gives us precious few good jokes and the dialog and plot points have most characters speaking and acting in ways that don't make sense, even in a silly comedy. Meanwhile, amateurish directing puts too much of the burden on McCarthy to make "lemons out of lemonade" (one of the movie's so-called jokes). The acting isn't much better. McCarthy is fine, but almost everyone else has smiles glued on their faces (even at times most normal people would be frowning) in a desperate attempt to convince us they're having a good time, so we should too. I hope McCarthy and Falcone have a long, happy marriage, but it would be nice if their professional partnership would stop making the rest of us so unhappy. Creatively, they're now 0-3. There's simply no life in this party. "D"
20 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A total disappointment!!!
atarmajid13 May 2018
My girlfriend told me McCarthy is wonderful. She made me disregard the ratings and buy the tickets. Except for a few rare times of laughing, I've been suffering the whole time.
16 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!!!
raretxpanda12 May 2018
I laughed my butt off throughout the movie!! It's NOT a copycat of Back To School! The stories are very different. I actually liked this better than BtS with Rodney Dangerfield. It's definitely a girl power movie. I will be buying this when it's on DVD.
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So funny
nlbrownn12 May 2018
A lot funnier than I expected! In he beginning there were some okay jokes but I was almost crying of laughter for most of the movie.
25 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.