Webcast (2018) Poster

(2018)

Hidden gem
cameronmelling15 May 2020
Wow this film is so much better than I expected. Find it on Prime and decided to give it a go knowing very little about it. I have seen many found footage films and this was very enjoyable. After a slow start, I found myself gripped and in the end it was very chilling. For a low budget film like this I think they did very well to create a gripping story.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than most found footage movies we've seen...and we've seen a lot
cromcastic19 July 2019
The beginning is a bit slow, but it was an all around good movie. Both main actors were really good, the story was interesting, and it had some scares in it.

Was different, I fall asleep during a lot of movies, didn't on this one.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent effort but be wary of the faux 9 & 10 ratings
markus-san23 March 2019
Yes people, this "found footage" movie currently stands at 6.3, the same rating as Paranormal Activity and just a 0.1 behind The Blair Witch Project, with 68% of "viewers" have rated it a 9 or a 10. Smells a bit fishy you say? Well, you'd be right. Of course the cast & crew and their family and pals would have nothing to do with this, right.. To be fair, the movie is not that bad: it is well acted and has a fairly original concept, whilst not being afraid to wear it's influences on its sleeve. The two leads are likeable enough, and there are at least a couple of creepy moments but outright scares are few and far between. It does somewhat fall apart in the final act though, with the last moment being something of a cop out, and well, a touch confusing. And there were a few things left unanswered, not there is anything wrong with being ambiguous but it doesn't quite work here. Anyway, it's worth a watch and I may have rated it a 6 if not for all the faux ratings and reviews. No, this film does not deserve a 9 or 10. It's also not as good as the UK ff movie 'The Borderlands' aka 'Final Prayer', which does not suffer from all these faux ratings and only sits at 5.8.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How Found Footage Is Supposed To Be!
jimi_dally17 December 2018
Usually, I'm not a great fan of 'found footage' films; aside from inevitably having to get used to viewing that's in and out of focus, I often find that, whilst the style lends itself to total realism, the plots can get carried away with themselves and the studios end up relying on underwhelming special effects that don't sit well with the premise (cf. Paranormal Activity/As Above, So Below). For me at least, this tends to ruin the uncanny, creepy nature of this style by robbing itself of its own credibility.

Fortunately, Webcast completely avoids these flaws, rooting itself instead in a fundamentally believable plot and characters. It plays brilliantly off of the concept that we never really know what's going on behind our neighbours' doors, particularly in the close-knit community setting, whilst delivering a compelling combination of the intriguing and creepy, a sort of Rear Window meets The Wicker Man.

Along with fantastic, truly believable performances from the cast (Redford, Tremain, and Wright in particular), the director (McGhie) also does a masterful job. The pace steadily builds throughout the film (another difficult achievement with this genre that often loses tension through boring explanations or reliance on too many jump scares). The filming and editing style itself even reflects the naturally evolving plot; the quick cuts and choppy edits that help echo the mystery and intrigue at the start of the film are replaced with longer, compelling scenes as Chloe and Ed further unravel the horrifying thread.

All in all, a brilliant first outing for the director, and a wonderful microbidget film that really does become more intriguing and chilling as it goes on; just like a real mystery! If you're interested in supporting original, independent films, then I would highly recommend Webcast.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ffs
nathanmanson9 March 2019
Started Abit slow but then actually went good and really drew me in and scared me a few times, However that Is one of the worst endings of all time, so so so many unanswered questions I'm very disappointed.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Folk Horror Found Footage
andrewjohnsjohns19 December 2018
I checked out the review page before posting this and there seems to be a few silly reviews. This is a well constructed horror flick and the tension builds nicely throughout. It's not perfect, but great to see the weirdness of folk horror like The Wickerman used to inspire something more akin to The Blair Witch Project. Yes, the camera is shaky, yes it looks like a vlog, and yes the dialogue is naturally repetitive at times - it's meant to look real - and that's the point. The tension broods and delivers with a solid climax.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creepy AF!
billywebster-3469816 December 2018
This is not a jump-a-minute flick, more a slow walls-are-closing-in type affair. It feels real, the acting is great. The ending was somewhat confusing, but I having given it some thought (watched yday), I much prefer something ambiguous to soemthing that serves everything up in a neat little bundle.

And the neighbours... are creepy as hell.
14 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasantly surprised!
Hannah712816 January 2019
Two teenagers set out to film a documentary about a teen that went missing from their area many years ago. They soon discover a web of secrets and conspiracy that envelops their community, and their discovery is not welcomed. This low budget British horror flick was really enjoyable. This is how 'found film' movies should be done. The movie does not rely on loud jump scares, nor overtly violent or disturbing scenes. It does however quite effectively suck the viewer into the paranoia and claustrophobia the two teens experience. It is creepy because it is such a slow burner. The atmostphere created by the film leaves you looking over your shoulder. Looking at this film for what it is, and comparing it to high budget Hollywood Horrors; It really is quite good. It just goes to show that bigger is not always better. Louder is not always scarier. The real bad guys could be your next door neighbours the whole time...
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just what Low Budget Horror should be
blahblahblacksheep-1975116 December 2018
I'm a huge fan of films like The Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity - and quite clearly, so is Webcast. Having said that, it's not trying to walk over well-trodden ground, more like stamp over it to create something new from old footsteps.

It also wears it's heart on it's sleeve by giving nods to films like The Wickerman and Rosemary's Baby, but again, it takes those ideas and on, what must be pocket change, tries to expand - and succeeds for the most part.

I found it very frightening at times and very real - and as long as a film in this sub genre can do that, it's worth a watch.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite found footage
spookywoo9 September 2019
I put off watching this because of the uninspiring title and generic cover art. In the end I gave it a shot because a) it was included in Prime and b) it's British, and I like British horror. Being British myself, the familiar accents make it feel a bit more "real".

I'm really glad I watched it because I loved it. The performances range from good enough (= some of the neighbours) to great (the two leads and the mum). I found the story quite gripping between the scary bits. The overall finale was very good, but I wasn't keen on the very very end. It was definitely unsettling but I didn't feel like I understood it?

(After reading some of the other reviews, just to clarify: I have no connection to the production or distribution of this film and have never had any contact with anyone who is associated with it.)
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad.
clk264-649-71646312 February 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this low-budget film. If you go into this with the mindset that it is a mystery, that could develop into a horror film, you'll definitely enjoy your time spent. Unlike most found footage horror films, this one doesn't really drag or, has a storyline that goes nowhere. It's very consistent, and has somewhat of an interesting ending. Think of "the wicker man" Mixed with "The Last Exorcism."
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fake reviews
colladoj15 May 2019
One thing that really grinds my gears is fake reviews. This movie was a 2 out of 10 at best. Yet, there are rave reviews. I would rather watch a bad movie on it merits than be lured into a bad movie with its commending reviews.
17 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DO NOT TRUST FAKE REVIEWS
joeyray-022756 February 2019
The reviews you see are made by the filmmakers and their friends.. This film is absolutely awful. They don't even know what's going themselves; stumbling through dialogue because they didn't write a script and a awful acting. Do not trust the reviews. This film is terrible.
17 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyed it
saphira_dragon-8027014 January 2019
Entertaining little horror, we had a fun time watching
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Little Found Footage Gem
mf28125 February 2019
A cracking little movie. Well cast and a really good storyline. I am probably a little biased as I generally love this style of filmmaking. I know it's not a lot of people's cup of tea but I like how people who have a story to tell can do it on a small budget. Smaller budgets shouldn't detract you from watching a movie. If you liked The Wicker Man then you'll dig this. I'd highly recommend to fellow found footage fans.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad at all!
aramt-0793517 June 2019
I'm a big fan of found footage horrors, but a lot of the newer once are not up to par... This one is quite good!Recommeneded!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Found footage done different and done right
GirlRobot9116 December 2018
Webcast takes a whole bunch of horror tropes and does something different with them, to really great effect. It's clearly made on no budget, but I liked the acting, the story and the editing. The point of FF horror is to create something that feels real - and it does so throughout.

There are a lot of found footage films out there that don't have half the impact of this one and because of that, it stands out for me. I loved the twists and turn it takes too. And it really was uncomfortable and eerie viewing from start to finish - in the way you want a horror movie to be.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Found Footage Genre's Triumphant UK progeny
arsenalism18 December 2018
Webcast as an excellent U.K. addition to an otherwise bloated genre. It's realism is it's strength and the performances are both naturalistic and subtle. The dark curtain of suburbia is drawn aside to great effect in this assured independent feature.
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid Horror
queeroid9 July 2019
This is _good_ found footage. Full stop.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the better ones
jessicartim22 March 2020
I find this movie pretty high on my list of found footage, it feels authentic enough, its executed well with decent yet realistic camera handling and with pretty good acting all around. Definitely above all the ghost/alien ones out there, it will keep you entertained from the start to end.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much too long for its premise & too many "WTF???"
derekjager15 December 2018
This film starts okay but there are so many edit cuts that it's distracting. And found footage films need to WRITE DIALOGUE! Otherwise, all you have is people running around screaming "WTF??" over and over and over and over and over again. The edit cuts means a character flubbed a line, but so what? It's supposed to be raw footage. Instead, the constant blink cuts are annoying. The acting is fine but the middle of the film is really padding and kinda boring. And the ending is no surprise....but then there is a SECOND ending which is really dumb. Great talent behind this and they could have done so much better.
7 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring annoying amateur vlog about black magic, rituals, nightmare
NijazBAbs10 May 2019
This hardly deserves any star. Only interesting thing about this is that we religious people really believe in Black Magic, Curses and other stuff from spiritual dimension. Looks like your typical nightmare. Gives you specific feeling of fear. But everything else is so bad. I wanted to stop watching it at least 10 times during playback, and i got bored more than I would if I were doing nothing. Ending is a bit more extreme, funny, active. But everything else is so lazy and passive, talk only, and camera is shaking so much that I think this better goes to trash or at least on instagram or youtube than to imdb or cinema or anywhere better. It is not a movie but kids vlog, they are playing just with their camera. Also there are old naked characters.
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genuinely Scary
avanderyacht-6879827 February 2019
If you are a fan of faux documentary, the original Wicker Man, or the 1974 Genesis track Supper's Ready then you will get great joy from this film. You'll likely have trouble sleeping afterwards, but it will ALL be worth it.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great horror movie with good scares!
lewismart11 January 2019
Most main stream horror movies today are plastered with jump scares with little to no tension. This small film is full with tension and genuin chilling moments. I only jumped once, and that's so refreshing.

The basic premise of the movie we have all seen before, but it takes a different route and feels a lot more realistic. This is my favourite part about the movie, it's extremely realistic from the acting to the setting of the whole movie. The acting is also great, again, it feels so real. It's like they had no script and were genuinely reacting to what was happening to them.

This movie really is a great little horror movie. It's the type of horror where it will creep up on you and sit with you for a while. A really creepy and suspenseful horror film. Don't miss it!!
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Found footage horror gem
holumben8 May 2019
Worth watching if you're a fan of the genre! Creepy, interesting, and engaging.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.