Siren (TV Series 2018– ) Poster

(2018– )

This Show is Off to a Great Start, but
YoungbloodRN30 March 2018
This show captured my attention. It is something new, exciting and unique. I am very pleased with the first two episodes, if you like mermaids you will like this show. Great characters, great graphics and picture quality, sound quality, and great with grabbing attention. The main character they used for a mermaid actually resembles, in my mind, what a mermaid would look like.

Update: After a few episodes I started to get bored. The same things seemed to happen on repeat. The uniqueness died down and I lost interest.
91 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So far interesting
jmarshall7272 April 2018
Yes this is a cheesy show, however, it's actually pretty good for cheese. Give me some crackers please! The actress who plays the mermaid is really good, the rest of the actors are stereotypical sound stage actors who got bad writing. I'm into it, besides the bad writing I'm drawn into the story only because the lead actress is that good!
52 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really like this
angel15-197-2897824 April 2018
We know mermaids are as real as vampires and werewolves. Or maybe more real than we think..Actually i don't understand why there is so little movies about them. This show got my attention from 1st episode. Can't wait to see more..story seems very interesting so far, even my husband like this show. It is not about smiling mermaids laying in the sun. There is a bit darkness, mystery and blood. Great to see something completely different, AT ONCE! Because i think many are tired and going crazy of vampires with overreacted blood drinking, zombies and same thing going on and on over years. I hope many will like this and we see more seasons coming out. Just give it a try! And yes, actress face really looks what i imagine siren would look like.
42 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing
cookiefudge9 April 2018
This show is an interestingly unique new take on things. The people saying the acting is bad must watch very few things if they are to be so poorly educated on what bad acting actually is. Maybe the minor characters are a bit below par, but everyone on the main cast does a fantastic job. I was really hoping for a bit of romance between Ryn and Ben but she seems to be too childlike and then implementing Ben's girlfriend so soon in the show was probably the writers and directors quickly shutting down that hope. Anyway, great show!!
30 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
PopCultureThoughts.Com (Season 1)
popculturethoughts10 January 2019
Despite a terrific concept, a striking setting and some pretty nifty special effects here and there, this killer-mermaid show never really comes together. Maybe it's that the acting is so stiff and occasionally downright laughable that it's hard to take anything seriously - in particular, there's a noticeable lack of chemistry among the entire cast, and as a result none of the show's plot developments manage to land much. Then again, maybe it's that the actors just don't have much to work with, given that the show's episodes are poorly written, and as a result they prevent the show's narrative arc to ever build momentum. In any case, the final result is a dreary, humorless and tiresome season that runs out of steam far before its finale.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love love this show
charmed1330 March 2018
This is right up the ally of Vampire Diaries type shows. A drama with expense but light hearted enough. Love everything about it so far and can't wait to see the rest of the season.
46 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The idea is far better than the execution.
fad-3879819 May 2018
This is terrible TV.

Very poor acting, repetitive scripts, smouldering looks and two-dimensional characters. The whole thing sounds and looks like a low-grade soap opera.

I'm on episode 9, the plot has hardly progressed in the last three episodes and the central character (Ryn) is painful to watch. Won't be bothering with the rest and looking forward to seeing it cancelled.

On a positive note, the technical aspects are good and production values pretty good. That's about all I can say...
35 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a refreshing take on mermaids
Logomark8907 April 2018
Disney showed mermaids as lovey dovey cretures. movies like splash also followed same line. but this show is different. this mermaid is for adults. it is not a damsel in distress. it is a predator a siren which can lure its prey. Eline Powell nails it as siren new to human world. she is the highlight to show and a fresh breath to mermaid characters. music is apt for the show. it elevates the scenes. the main takeaway from the show for me is the chemistry between mermaid and the lead pair. how she is seducing both of them at the same time. she truly is a siren.
30 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
captivating
cchristopherpix30 March 2018
I wasnt looking for this program I even forgot it was beginning. But stumbled across it last night and with nothing else on I watched it. Amazing program held my interest and whomever is responsible for hiring the girl who is the mermaid. wow great job she looks just like one in human form. all the actors are great and I love the little seaside town. my kinda sho.
36 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting idea, good start, but meh
blu_emilia17 February 2019
Probably like the other 90% of the people, I started watching this show for the mermaids plot, that hasn't been really explored like the other 100 movies about vampires and werewolves.

However this goes bad quickly, the plot has many holes, no attention to details, one of the sisters is white, the other one is black, of course the main character is somehow equally attracted to both a girl and a boy, because hey, where would we be without a gay plot?
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yea No Thanks...
ReapersGrunt7 May 2018
Poor acting...cheesy...story skips around and doesn't really make sense/unrealistic...if you are not a teenage girl you'll not like this show! Not understanding how the hell this got s 7-8 rating?
36 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great idea wasted
wavydavynyc31 March 2018
I've never written a review before, so bare with me, but i felt the need to do so after watching this monstrosity, the producers have turned a great idea into lumbering club-footed abortion , just terrible acting,absolutely terrible editing, embarrassingly awkward pauses galore, they explain every plot development like they we're explaining it to a ten year old, I mean i know its for a teenage audience,but nobody is that stupid! I realize this seems like a hatchet job... because it is! but i couldn't let it lie, why waste what is a essentially great idea by stacking the show stereotypical eye-candies with wooden acting skills, they should re-cast, re-write for a more mature audience, and definitely get a new director and editor(sorry fellows if yer reading this) i'll give it 3/10 would've been 8/10 if it had executed better, well that's my tuppence wert!
44 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good
pielevleg-684-14645111 April 2018
When we looked at the trailer , hmmm that looks good . But after 3 episodes we do not want to see more.

There is one person who we think played good, and that is Eline Powell. maybe 2 more but thats it. Stupid conversations and examinations of the mermaid did it

I do not recommend this series, to cheap
33 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyable show.
hoboss-511-9090392 April 2018
I have to admit that I am not a fan of Arielle or that mermaid nonsense, but I actually liked this one. Arielle has gone dark.

It's here and there lacking of consistency but alas, I mean, it's a shallow show. Some fiction here, some myth there. The mermaid is portrayed very well by the right cast. Cudos for that.

The first two episodes made me hungry for more. I am "dyn" for now.
22 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun Show
Ronaldehall26 January 2019
Lots of bad review and I must disagree. The plot is intriguing and the actors do have chemistry. It is nice to see a diverse cast including native people. I highly recommend for light, enjoyable TV watching.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feminist Twilight reboot
galen-021723 April 2018
This show has all the good things of Twilight minus the terrible script, premise, and acting. It's set in the Pacific Northwest and it features beautiful, dangerous and misunderstood creatures as it's main draw. Obviously, the show is angling towards drawing a parallel between the plight of the sirens and what climate change is doing to the oceans and also with the #MeToo movement with a potential reckoning with the town- whose misogynist and crazy founder slaughtered the sirens back in the day. I think if they made the siren song less orchestral and just kept it with the whale/dolphin like whistling sounds, it would be more compelling (and a lot less cheesy) but otherwise I think the mermaids look crazy fierce and cool. I love them!
34 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Budget wrongly spend
Ajanif4 April 2018
I was really looking forward for this series but I have to say, the first two episodes have let me down completely. Not only do they act poorley but they also keep falling out of their american accent (the british cast). Eline Powell truly has the looks to be a SIREN (she's not a mermaid, if it's your show you should know, just saying) but she over does it with her acting which is quite the bummer. I might have been able to overlook some missing acting skills but where the show fails in my opinion is in keeping the story interesting. It's to fast paced which also doesn't allow the viewer to really sink into the mood an the feel of the story. If they had spend more money in believable actors and authentic scripts/dialog and not on all the helicopters and military stuff the show might have done well.
24 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just...awful!
rsvp32131 March 2018
I know it's fiction and I'm usually very forgiving, but this show is so irrational it's infuriating!

The d-bag lead male comes across a naked female wandering down the middle of the road, what does he do? He takes her home, of course! lol

A naked female stealing clothes off your clothes line? Don't phone the police - go back in the trailer for a ciggy and a beer, and tell the sheriff next time he drives through.

Naked female doesn't respond to questions, her eyes are wonky, no police called, no EMS, no hospital... d-bag just keeps getting friendly with her, talking like they're old buddies, although anyone else would assume she was in shock.

The way d-bag dives into the water is funny, too - straight up into the air, then straight down...like a dolphin! haha

Terrible characters, terrible actors - I dislike *all* of them.

Bail!
63 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
useless
sevdakarababa-7107719 May 2018
I decided to watch this show. It was like a joke. Some of the writers must be good, some of them very lame. Dialogs between eachother so boring. In 1 episode Ben and his girlfriend 4-5 times love making sceen. We got it they really wanna get f.... but enough is enough. Old lady Helen why she never talked mermaids with their language. She is one of them but handling is very badly. I liked those fish guys they are very natural acting and they are fun. Especially Chris acting better than Ben and his girlfriend. Escape sceen he made a really good job. Some parts i like it some parts boring and useless. Director, editing abd writing mistakes also cast would be more talented people
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly good!
richgibbons4 May 2018
Ok, so you have to suspend a bit of belief to get into it, and the program certainly benefits from you being in the mindset of - "ok, I want something sit down and switch off now". But with that said, Siren is highly enjoyable.

The pacing is just right, and acting is decent. Especially that of lead actress and primary 'mermaid' Ely, who does a great job of drawing you into her otherworldly nature. She's definitely a fantastic choice for the role.

I'm two episodes in and can't wait for the next one.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter drivel!
gb90118 May 2018
Television fodder for the undiscerning yoof market. Story and actions of protagonists make zero sense and special effects distinctly unso - the cgi is atrocious But its so very pc and inclusive so that's OK!
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good show
mayhem-5420625 May 2018
Good show...first few episodes are a bit B-grade, but it gets better as it goes along. Interesting premise which doesn't seem that far-fetched by the end of the season. Each episode better than the last. Casting of Ryn, main mermaid, is spot on.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B movie type
jslezak527 April 2018
Bad writing and situations. Typical B movie set as a series for Freeform TV.
20 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that good
ahmadcastle30 May 2018
Infact, the series is a mess in many things . Firstly, it was talking about saving a mermaid , then about saving the spices of mermaids and nothing of those two had done . Moreover, you cannot identify the real plot so that will lead you to thinking that there's no plot at all . Also there is a huge mistakes in the acting , and unlogical ones ,for example,when the mermaids came out from water for the second time they were perfect in English and obviously there weren't and courses for English under the sea because at the first time they learnt English from the spoken words . Beside that , there are no care for the details, for instance, during phone calls the phone screen was on and apparently there wasn't anyone on the call, also , the mermaids can't touch the water while they are in human shape because they will change back to be mermaids ,but this rule doesn't work on the rain because the mermaids can easily walk under the rain and nothing is happening. And the sound effects are terrible because they don't play them on at the good times . Finally, I believe that you should go and find yourself another series to watch.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High School acting combined with a junior high script.
leefieux31 March 2018
All of these 10s, 9s and 8s had to have been submitted by the show's employees.

This was downright awful. Eline Powell supposedly incorporated the traits of both sea and land mammels?? Really....it looked like to me she incorporated the worst traits of high school drama actors. At no time did I believe that she was a mermaid on land. At every point did I believe that she was a bad actress trying to make us believe that she was a mermaid.

And the script? My goodness. Was plausibility ever talked about in the writer's room? And, of course, we have the mermaid finding nice clothes every where she went (except for the boots of course). I suppose that the latter was meant to be humorous?

I couldn't take it any more and turned it off at the halfway point. I could see no chance that it was going to get better in the second half.
49 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.