Juliet, Naked (2018) Poster

(2018)

My favorite of Sundance 2018
carlzimmermann14 February 2018
First, you must like romantic comedies or this will fall short. I like good ones and this earned it's place with Notting Hill. Nice plot twists, great acting and a wonderful soundtrack. This part was made for Chris O'Dowd and Rose Byrne was spectacular. Ethan Hawke played such a loser I almost had trouble understanding what any woman would see in him. However, upon mentioning that to the women nearest me in the theater - including my wife, I was immediately slapped down. They all forgave him. And, it's set in England. What more could you ask for?
40 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated romantic comedy, an utter joy
PotassiumMan20 August 2018
Rose Byrne and Chris O'Dowd are a long-time couple living in a seaside town in this winning film about music fandom and romantic rejuvenation. She's a museum curator in her local area. He's a classics professor who, in his spare time, devotes his life to discussing and extolling the music of a legendary rock star who disappeared from performing and from making albums two decades ago. O'Dowd's character has even created an online forum for the rock star's most rabid fans. The couple's relationship begins to take a turn when the rock star (Ethan Hawke, ever reliable in his charisma) attempts a career resurgence.

A film about a faded rock star coming back out of the shadows is not a new theme, but here it feels so crisp. Hawke's performance is perfect, as are Byrne and O'Dowd, a seeming odd couple whose devotion is showing signs of strain. O'Dowd's character is quite funny when he keeps finding out new information about his idol.

Although there are romantic comedies on the subject of music and midlife perspective, this one proves extra eloquent and engaging. It's not just a film about finding love. It's also about discovering the difference between a fan's rose-colored glasses and reality; a dinner scene captures this theme brilliantly. Even if the rest of the film hadn't been any good (which is not the case), I still would have recommended this film on the strength of that scene alone.

This film has gotten only lukewarm reviews so far, which is odd. I am hopeful that audiences and other critics will give it the recognition it deserves. Gladly recommended.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever and Funny
ronityagur29 July 2018
Duncan is a lecturer in a 3rd-rate college in a forgotten English sea-side town. He also runs the fan-club of a once-popular American singer-songwriter called Tucker Crowe, who disappeared 20-years ago after releasing an album called "Juliet". One day a cd arrives of early versions and outtakes of the songs on "Juliet", called "Juliet, Naked". Duncan's long-suffering girlfriend, Annie, writes a critical review of the disc on Duncan's blog, eliciting a talkback from Tucker Crowe himself. Their email relationship will grow into something more serious.

Based on Nick Hornby's amusing book of the same name, the film is deliciously funny and full of clever twists. It pokes gentle fun at all the characters, who seem a little ridiculous but still ring true. The acting is superb, especially Rose Byrne, who plays Annie: middle-class, nearing middle-age, childless, attractive in a pinched, worried way, trying to do the right thing instead of letting herself go.

You'll be grinning all through this delight, as Crowe tries to live down his past while Annie tries to break away from hers.

Incidentally, Ethan Hawke, who plays Crowe, (yes, a Hawke pretending to be a Crowe: talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing!) also sings the vocals in what are supposed to be Crowe's songs, which play in the background.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this movie!!
turetskyneil1 August 2018
Haven't laughed out loud so much in a theater in a long time. Simply charming smart and delightful. A film about feeling and being stuck, a very human condition, and attempts (successful and not so successful) to deal with it. Just wonderful acting from all the leads, Ethan Hawke and Rose Byrne in particular. A kid, Azhy Robertson, charming and funny without being too precious. Wonderful believable chemistry, an intelligent and witty "romcom", but devoid of the unrealistic mush and manipulative plot tricks typical of the genre. Finally a movie as good as the Nick Hornby its based on. Oh, and a hopeful ending without saccharine, something much needed. Go see it.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nick Hornby is a treasure
janebrownrigg17 August 2018
It's not often that I laugh out loud in movies but I did while viewing Juliet, Naked. Having loved such films as Fever Pitch. I was not surprised to see Nick Hornby's name in the credits. He has a way with sympathetic characters that always resonates for me. Once again the soundtrack is full of artists I love. I would see this film again...
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a funny, sweet and delightful movie!
gieslersue17 August 2018
Everyone was laughing in the movie theater. The jokes are subtle, clever, original. Convincing acting, real characters, none of that fake, plastic Hollywood thing. I'll even watch it again!
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One can never know everything about someone
jsharma26 August 2018
Juliet, Naked Based on Nick Hornby's novel and directed by Jesse Peretz is awesome. Nick Hornby's novels are very interesting and are always a treat to watch on the big screen ( An Education, Wild, Brooklyn). Rose Byrne as Annie, is very realistic as a very down-to-earth grown up in a grown up relationship with her boyfriend Duncan ( excellent acting by Chris O'Dowd). Duncan is obsessed with music and life of Tucker Crowe for more than 2 decades . Ethan Hawke is terrific as Tucker Crowe, a musician , who vanished from public eye for decades. But Duncan thinks he knows everything about Tucker. Annie is not quite as obsessed and Duncan does not like that Annie does not get his passion and he seeks love elsewhere. Annie and Tucker are now website friends. Screenplay is great. The hospital scenes with Tucker on bed after angioplasty surrounded by kids with different women and Annie in the room are hilarious. The scenes on the beach when Duncan sees Tucker face to face and has no clue why Annie was seeing an older man are done extremely well. I enjoyed the movie a lot. Great acting. Ethan Hawke has done some great roles and is great as Tucker Crowe. excellent editing.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm leaning toward a pleasant surprise!
rarara197729 August 2018
My husband and I went to see this movie on a date night. Since my hubby doesn't like to know a thing about a movie before we see it, I get to choose. So, when I saw Ethan Hawke had a new movie out, I looked no further. Wow. So wonderfully done that we cringed and laughed out loud with, and for, the characters. Must see!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.
domdel3916 September 2018
Are you or have you ever been an obsessive music fan? Have you ever dived down deep into an ocean of a particular artist's musical history and eagerly wetted your ears with every last song, half-song, quarter song and brief snippet of high or sometimes even very low, low quality, barely intelligible audio both officially and unofficially available? Have you ever tracked down, with a bloodhound's determination, every book about that artist and every book in which that artist is even only briefly mentioned on page two-hundred and something and then only for a sentence or two that does nothing other than merely confirm to you something you had already had confirmed to you a hundred times before? Have you ever compulsively visited countless websites committed to that same artist's work where other, even more intensely obsessive fans than you have documented and analyzed every last lyric, note, hiccup or cough crafted ever-so-carefully by that same artist, to such an extent that you feel so close to that artist that they are practically a part of you? Well, then, do I have the film for you.

"Juliet, Naked" is a film about a very unique love triangle. The three points of that triangle are: Duncan (Chris O'Dowd), an obsessive fan of an obscure and no longer active singer-songwriter named, Tucker Crowe; Annie (Rose Byrne), Duncan's long suffering girlfriend who feels like she's in competition with Crowe for her boyfriend's attention and is losing; and the object of obsession himself, Tucker Crowe (Ethan Hawke), an easygoing dude, who long ago tossed away his music career, and who now lives in his ex-wife's garage trying to resemble a reasonable facsimile of a father for their son, Jackson (Azhy Robertson).

Based on a novel by Nick Hornby, this, mostly, light and funny, pleasant breeze of a film is a delight from start to finish.

What's mostly on the mind of the writer is the way in which these characters have chosen to lead their lives. Rose has been, and continues to be, way too cautious and, as a result, is suffering from emotional and psychological paralysis. Tucker has been way too reckless and, as a result, is the eye of a rapidly revolving hurricane of relationships that will soon swirl and crash around him with hilarious results. And in the middle, is Duncan who spends way too much of his time focusing on the emotional content of Crowe's songs and very little time focusing on the emotional content contained in the heart of his neglected girlfriend, Annie.

Rose Byrne, as Annie, is plain stuck. She's in a relationship with two men - one who is physically present, but not emotionally, and another who is emotionally present but not physically. Though she is smart and charming and attractive, she is sort of like an airplane waiting at the edge of a runway for permission to take off. Permission that never seems to come and permission she probably doesn't need after all.

Convincing as a woman who fulfills all of the requirements that her outer life demands without actually fulfilling any of the requirements that her inner life does, Byrne is all apologies and accomodations. She is a Rube Goldberg contraption made flesh - balls rolling, dominoes falling, ramps see sawing one way, then another, but, without any greater purpose other than to keep itself going, one day after another, for enjoyment of others.

As the obsessive fan, who runs a comprehensive website about everything and anything Crowe, frequently chats with other Crowe obsessives on-line and has a well maintained and more than slightly creepy shrine to the man in the basement of his and Annie's home, O'Dowd is just goofy enough to trigger the necessary laughs without being so goofy that he becomes a one note joke.

The film pays real careful attention to Duncan's emotional connection to Crowe and his songs. Sure, the film, and I assume the book, plays his obsessing for laughs, but, it also respects it, too. That is no more clear then in a pivotal scene, somewhere in the middle moving towards the end of the film, where Duncan and Crowe come face to face, sharing a dinner table with neglected girlfriend and no longer neglected son. Obsessive fan collides with the object of his obsession and the results, though predictably awkward, cringe worthy and painfully funny, also reveal each character's sensitive sore spots. The scene sticks its' landing and then some. It's wonderfully played out.

Overall, O'Dowd manages to create a memorable human being in Duncan who is, ultimately, deeply flawed, but, nonetheless, understandable and sympathetic. He sees so much in others who are far away and so little in those who are close by. He is so intensely focused on his obsession for the words and music of Tucker Crowe that he has no more energy left for his afterthought of a girlfriend. If his life could be summed up in an album's worth of tracks, the first twelve songs would be about Crowe and a thirteenth, hidden track, would be about Annie.

And Hawke? He plays casual, broken and messed up with an ease that is always charming and affecting. He does a fine job of slipping into the skin of a man who has just recently caught up to his responsibilities and is making a genuine, though clumsy, attempt to unscrew up as much of his screwed up life as he can. He's like someone walking through the rubble of a neighbourhood recently devastated by an 9.0 earthquake with all the concern of a man browsing for swim trunks at a local department store.

The direction is unobtrusive and workmanlike. The pace is steady and never lags.

A real surprise. Catch it if you can.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Satisfying Confection
nicoleelizabethseymour26 August 2018
Loved this; even better than I was expecting. But honestly, I'm posting this review because I'm going mad trying to figure out who three of the actors in the film are -- they're not listed on IMDb for some reason!! One: Tucker's most recent ex-wife, whose house he lives behind. Two: The black ex-wife, who I'm pretty positive is Nina Sosanya from "Love, Actually," but I'm not sure. And three: The black ex-wife's new partner.

Not only are those people not listed here, but Jimmy O. Yang is billed fourth ... and I have zero recollection of him being in the film, which I just saw it two hours ago! Seriously someone help; I feel like I'm losing my mind. ;)
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mess of a Film..
BatmanFunReviews201823 October 2018
Juliet, Naked is the story of Annie (the long-suffering girlfriend of Duncan) and her unlikely transatlantic romance with once revered, now faded, singer-songwriter, Tucker Crowe, who also happens to be the subject of Duncan's musical obsession. Juliet, Naked is a terrible excuse of a comedy but also of a movie as a whole too since Rose Byrne, Ethan Hawke and Chris O'Dowd are so much better than this but unfortunately it's cringy, forgettable and the perfomances ridiculous enough so i'd totally recommend anything else except this movie in the end.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't go expecting the book
eloiserosas2 September 2018
Enjoyable but not as diverting as the book. The book is actually a bit slow, but has depth and character development. The movie is also a bit slow but lacks depth. I hate to say it, but the Rose Byrne is such a sad weak sack that she is not sympathetic or interesting. Ethan Hawke and Chris O'Dowd are very well cast, as are all of the children. I would have liked to have seen more of them, especially the twin boys.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great movie!
rwrenken24 August 2018
Splendid cast. Great writing. Fun twists. Super funny.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Welcomed Change of Pace
ThomasDrufke14 September 2018
What a charming and electric rom-com-dram. Juliet, Naked not only showcases the brilliant talents of its 3 stars, Ethan Hawke, Rose Byrne, and Chris O'Dowd, but it presenting a wholly original and delightful story of second chance love from multiple angles. Having Annie (Byrne) fall in love with her husband's (O'Dowd) celebrity crush Tucker Crowe (Hawke) is just about the weirdest yet creative storytelling device I have seen in a rom-com in quite some time. It's a sweet romantic story mixed with dramatic undertones that give depth to Annie and Tucker's unusual bond. I love the lessons it teaches you about life and love, while never taking you away from a great standalone story on its own. Two thumbs up.

9.0/10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshingly avoids the usual Hollywood rom-com cliches, thankfully
vsks11 September 2018
Predictably, I overheard a moviegoer say to the ticket-seller, "I'd like to see Juliet, Naked." You should see it too! Nick Hornby's novel has been turned into a highly entertaining romantic comedy directed by Jesse Peretz. The strong script is by Evgenia Peretz, Jim Taylor, and Tamara Jenkins. The story starts with an awkward website video, in which Duncan (played to hilarious effect by Chris O'Dowd) rattles on about obscure American rocker Tucker Crowe, who has not been seen in decades, much less produced any new music. Duncan lives with Annie (the delectable Rose Byrne), who runs a small museum in a seaside British town. The museum's biggest attraction is a shark's eyeball, bobbing in formaldehyde. To the dismay of megafan Duncan, Annie doesn't especially appreciate Tucker Crowe, nor how his music has taken over their listening and the mystery of his disappearance their conversation. Like anyone obsessed with in a very small slice of life's enormous pizza, Duncan is tedious in the extreme. When Annie posts a few of her less flattering thoughts about Tucker Crowe on Duncan's website, Crowe himself (Ethan Hawke) responds. To her surprise, he agrees with her, and they begin a secret trans-Atlantic email correspondence. The two have great charm together, playing off each other and admitting their shortcomings. They're neither one perfect and able to admit it. Crowe is living in the center of the United States, somewhere, in a garage lent him by his ex-wife, and taking part-time care of their young son Jackson (Azhy Robertson). We soon learn another woman is the mother of his grown daughter, who's now pregnant, and he has twin boys by yet another. He's barely in touch with these children and totally out of touch with the daughter of his first love, Juliet. Perhaps it's the pseudo-anonymity of email that encourages him to speak to Annie. When he has a trip to London, the face-to-face is awkward. It might be the beginning of a relationship, but there are a lot of kids and partners in the way. What I loved about this movie, in addition to the fine acting, is that the situation avoids the typical Hollywood relationship clichés (which The Puzzle fell prey to, disappointingly), and strives for honesty. P.S. I love the crazy job titles that turn up in movie credits. In this one: "Petty cash buyer."
Getting Unstuck
jenrebl8 September 2018
Juliet, Naked is one of the best movies I've seen all year. All of the main characters are flawed individuals who find themselves stuck in lives that they didn't set out to choose for themselves. I think this is a great story of how they find a way back to being the people they wanted to be told with a lot of humor & heart. Ethan Hawke, Rose Byrne and Chris O'Dowd all give terrific performances.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unlikely meeting proving that an encounter is by chance and timing!
blanbrn8 September 2018
"Juliet, Naked" is one film that's entertaining and somewhat fun as it proves that life and love is unexpected and the path is never easy or straight. It involves a couple in an English seaside village named Annie(Rose Byrne) and Duncan(Chris O' Dowd) and Duncan is a film professor who's obsessed with the music of a past his prime alternative rocker named Tucker Crowe(the good Ethan Hawke). And upon a discover that Annie makes of an old album her life changes with communication that leads to connection a meeting of an unlikely and unexpected and uncommon romance. Still life is not without pain and drama as Tucker has health problems and he loves the bottle and he's addicted to being a dad to different kids from different moms! Overall good heartfelt romantic comedy of connection, and timing proving that it can lead to unexpected love and passion causing a new start and beginning for some.
Be honest with yourself
abcvision7 September 2018
This movie is really about living a safe life or taking a chance on living your dreams. Time don't stop for anyone and that's what the two main protagonist discover. It also explores the fragile discovery that tour idols may not really be the image that you hold as the true one. Overall a sweet story of discovering a way to live your own path. Dr Wilson Trivino
A small gem
Filmlover-435 September 2018
I went to this because I like Ethan Hawke and I liked him even more after seeing this gem of movie. I called it 'small' as it's a slice of life, maybe one not offering grand themes but a lot of quiet enjoyment. Why? For me, it was that the acting was so fine by all the leads (including Rose Bryne and Chris O'Dowd) and was so realistic in terms of how they portrayed relationships between the adult characters and between a parent and his offspring. By the way, Ethan Hawke's singing was quite good, mostly in background. It's a romantic story by Nick Hornby but not overly sentimental. I liked it a lot and would watch it again. I hope this film gets a wider audience who appreciate a good story.
turkey time, early.
cdcrb18 August 2018
A sense of dread came over me almost from the start. and I wasn't wrong. I should have known better. because it's august, aka "dump month" in the movie trade. ethan hawke plays a never was music phenom, with a 'cult" fan base. he's a total mess. he starts a relationship with the wife of one of his "fans". if you can't guess how all this turns out, you need to see more movies.
7 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
7 Shades of Love
Vivkon11 October 2018
"Juliet, Naked" incredibly and intelligently shows the story about seven kinds of love according to the ancient Greek culture. There is "eros" throughout the film, which imbues the characters and some of the lyrics. However, this feeling is expressed aesthetically and tastefully. The main character Tucker (amazingly played by Ethan Hawke) reflects most types of love: "philautia" - love of self, "ludus" - playful love, and, of course, "eros". But Tucker lacks feeling of love for children, dramatically portrayed in the heartbreaking scene when he abandons his little baby in the sink. Also, he never mentions or dedicates any of his songs to his numerous children. Only the girlfriends he abandons have the ability to express "storge" - love of the child. Professor Duncan (Chris O'Dowd) and art expert Annie (Rose Byrne) represent people of intellectual accomplishments and the aspect "philia" - love of the mind. At the end of the movie Tucker meets Annie and finally experiences "agape" and "pragma" - love of the soul and eternal love, expressed beautifully in his new evocative songs. This movie demonstrates an exquisite way in which people can express all shades of love.
Why We Go To the Movies
jordanand9410 October 2018
If you want a film that will make you think and make you feel happy, go see this film.

Rose Byrne is very likeable as Annie, who has spent 15 years with her boyfriend, Duncan(Chris O'Dowd's character), and has been mostly unhappy that whole time. She can't seem to understand his obsession with faded and mysterious has-been rock star Tucker Crowe, played by Ethan Hawke, and she understands Duncan's love for Tucker as a musician defeats his love for her. Annie begins a pen pal relationship with Tucker, which eventually leads him to visit the U.K. and the plot goes deeper from there.

Ethan Hawke is a revelation as always, portraying a broken man who is hated by so many but knows he still has one last chance. He has squandered any sort of chance at having a relationship with his many children, but he knows he can still have one with his youngest child, and that he has an opportunity with Annie. Hawke understands his character so well and we are thus able to empathize with him. We as an audience laugh at the things he does/says, but we also empathize with him. Byrne does a great job as Annie, and the two characters are so believable because they can relate to each other and the difficulties that have come their way. I loved Byrne in this film.

This is a film with loveable characters, a witty script, and just pure comedy. They don't make romantic comedies this great very often.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet and honest, a delightful rom-com.
jdesando28 September 2018
Juliet, Naked is a rom-com with its head on straight. Neither over the top nor dark, it strikes the right tone of realism and romance despite the formulaic approach of boy meets girl, etc. Rose Byrne's protagonist, Annie, a smart and strong-willed anthropologist and curator at a small museum in a Brit seaside town, has a balanced profile of wit and realism. She's a lady not easily seduced by ancient rocker, Tucker (Ethan Hawke), who comes into her life via the Internet and her boyfriend, Duncan (Chris O'Dowd).

Typically for a romantic comedy, Annie is bored with professor/lover Duncan and finds his scholarly preoccupation with Tucker to be tedious. Until she meets Tucker, and the real romance of this comedy begins.

Director Jesse Peretz and his writers skillfully adapted the Nick Hornby novel to keep the tone light despite a heart attack and multiple progeny by different women having Tucker scramble for sanity when they all meet in the hospital. That is one of the film's fine moments of a lunatic family reunion. Contrasting the de-riled family, Annie turns out to be an anchor for Tucker, with whom she had already formed an Internet connection.

The nice thing about this budding romance is it's slow, not sex filled, and rooted in a skepticism on both sides that rings true in the face of a rom-com formula frequently demanding instant passion and commitment. Even Duncan, his scholarly interest in Tucker bordering on obsessive, comes off as in love with Annie, but not silly, just self-absorbed and oblivious to her needs.

Juliet, Naked is a fresh take on the rom-com, easy going and poignant, but infused with enough love to make the romance authentic and the comedy light enough to allow for genuine affection in the face of daunting family and professional intrusions.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific acting in this romantic comedy
Red-12522 September 2018
Juliet, Naked (2018) was directed by Jesse Peretz

Chris O'Dowd plays Duncan Thomson, an English academic who is totally obsessed with an obscure U.S. rocker named Tucker Crowe (Ethan Hawke). Crowe has gone to ground, and no one knows where he is. However, Duncan and his chat partners speculate endlessly.

Rose Byrne plays Annie Platt, Duncan's partner. They are in love--sort of--but Duncan can't understand why Annie doesn't share at least some of his enthusiasm about Tucker Crowe. How can she not be obsessed also?

Naturally, Tucker turns up in England, and that's when the plot really begins. It's not just boy meets girl--Tucker has had a very complicated life and it follows him to England.

This movie has a pretty good IMDb rating of 7.1. It's not a masterpiece, but it's still worth finding and seeing. We saw the film at Rochester's excellent Little Theatre. It will work well on the small screen. P.S. Don't miss Phil Davis' perfect portrayal of His Worship, Mayor Barton. He fits everyone's perception of a small city mayor.

P.S. Despite the title, the movie contains no sexual material. It has an R rating because of the liberal use of four-letter words.
A real treat for the 40+ set
maclock19 September 2018
If you're over 40, but not quite 55, then this movie might resonate with you. The performances are strong, the writing is good, and the direction is great. There's much to recommend Juliet, Naked to the movie-going public.