Mimosas (2016) Poster

(2016)

I don't get it
debrahotmer17 March 2018
My heading says it all. Although the scenery is beautiful, I must admit that I don't understand the messages throughout this film and if there is any message the film is supposed to leave me with. Yes, the scenery is beautiful and beautifully filmed, the actors and some scenes made impressions on me, but overall I don't understand the relationships between varying scenes and the overall point of the film.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This heralds the arrival of a major player in world cinema.
MOscarbradley2 October 2017
It is said by some that "Mimosas" is a 'contemporary Moroccan western' and why not. Over the decades we have come to learn that the Western is as much a state of mind as it is a genre and that it is not rooted in any particular time or place. The Western tropes apparent in "Mimosas" are a journey on horseback through mountainous terrain, in this case by three men tasked with taking the body of a dead sheik to his place of burial, (Tommy Lee Jones covered similar territory in the much more traditional "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada"), together with a few gun attacks and a couple of killings. Indeed, were it not for an early sequence in a city or town involving a fleet of taxis we might be back two centuries and, if not in the American West, at least in recognizable 'Western' terrain and in one scene near the end of the film we could even be back 2,000 years.

In some respects you could say not a great deal happens, at least not conventionally, in Oliver Laxe's film, (it's only his second), and yet this is so much more than a beautifully photographed travelogue, (Laxe shot the film on location mostly in the Atlas mountains). There is an almost profound sense of both joy and sadness in the relationship that develops between the three men and their strange cargo as well as genuine sense of mystery, (many events are left unexplained). Laxe also gets wonderful performances from Ahmed Hammoud as the man who agrees to take the body in the first place and from Shakib Ben Omar as the little runt who proves to have a lot more going for him than meets the eye, (neither men are professional actors though Shakib did appear in Laxe's first film). There are also scenes here of such pure physicality that they almost rival those in "Aguirre, Wrath of God". I have yet to see Laxe's earlier "You are all Captains" but "Mimosas" certainly heralds the arrival of a major player in world cinema.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
mat123-16 May 2017
I want my time back. There is maybe 10 minutes of story. This movie could have five minutes and it would tell everything that happens. I don't get this idea of insanely long takes of people walking in a desert, other people sitting in silence inside traveling vehicles or dialogues that takes 30 seconds between every line. OK, I get the idea of different landscapes and cultures, blablabla but I have better things to do.
11 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One and a half hours of sulking faces set against mountain landscapes.
cool_metz12 May 2017
Morocco has - of late - been a major player in recent Arab cinema. Given the number of great films it has produced in recent years, I was expecting a great movie. I was sorely disappointed.

The movie revolves around a caravan wandering into the Atlas mountains, its' main aim to help a dying elderly sheikh to pass away and be buried in his native village. Death, however, has other plans, claiming the sheikh around twenty minutes into the film. At this point, the majority of the caravan backs out and leaves. The rest of the film follows the remaining members who uphold their end of the deal and persevere through the mountains with the sheikh's corpse.

The only plus in the movie is its' camera work, the focus being on the breathtaking majestic natural landscapes, often with a sulking face in the foreground. However, if I had wanted to see sulking faces against gorgeous backgrounds, I would probably visit a photo exhibition.

The film offers no shortage of flaws, including a deafening absence of music (amplifying the boredom ten-fold), wooden acting and occasional bleating by a rather lack-lustre cast (with the exception of Shakib), and a limited dialogue, with painfully long pauses in between each character's lines. Moreover, the entire plot, which could have easily been made into a 40 minute episode, was dragged out for FAR TOO LONG. Let's just say that death claimed the cinema audience's attention way before it claimed the sheikh's soul. I was later shocked that the film was one hour and thirty six minutes; it felt more like an eternity of boredom.

From the get-go, it was obvious that this film was aimed at international film festivals (I saw this film in one of those festivals). I could even picture artsy European hipsters saying 'Oh my God, this is so ethnic!'. Despite this, the film makes numerous religious allusions that - if not viewed by an Arabic/Muslim audience - will leave international audiences in the dark. A rather exclusive move that will probably not bode well in a non Middle- Eastern context.

Overall, this film is a perfect example of the stereotypical 'pretentious art film' that you will probably watch just once (hopefully never) unless you a) have an incurable case of insomnia or b) intend to spoil a perfectly good movie night.

I second the reviewer above in demanding my time back.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An spiritual journey into a human soul seeking for faith
mikeluriarte3 January 2020
An spiritual journey into a human soul seeking for faith. Beautifully photographed and nicely told and crafted through 3 chapters that structure the whole film perfectly. Probably the only bad thing about the film would be the fact that it is not what i would call an enjoyable movie, or a movie that i would love to go back to eventually. And of course, not a movie you would expect to work in the box office. One of this "just for film festivals" movie that is definitely worth watching at least once.

After winning the FRIPESCI price with his first work, he won the Critics Week Grand Prize with this one. And last year, he won the Un Certain Regard Jury Prize with his latest film (O que arde), all three of them in Cannes. Oliver Laxe is surely looking premising so far.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.