Animal Kingdom (TV Series 2016– ) Poster

(2016– )

Awesome!
skhollowtx28 August 2021
I finally started watching this a few weeks ago and absolutely LOVE IT!
14 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply brillaint
mklarsen-518953 September 2021
I remember watching Fin Cole since his days on Peaky Blinders and while he physically looks the same, he certainly shows his skills throughout this show. It's hard to work out what he actually feels about his family but the hatred at times shines through, especially knowing they lived a mile away and didn't do anything to save his Mum. Smurf cast her out of the family and J has never forgotten that. As the show moves through the seasons and you become more involved in the show and characters, I found myself liking Pope more and more. At first he seemed really creepy, especially standing over J's girlfriend in the bedroom but the more you learn about Pope, the more you feel for him.

I REALLY like this show :)
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a gritty ride
michela-5405130 August 2021
Similar to Breaking Bad, but with Breaking Bad everyone is good and you watch them go bad, this show everyone is bad and it goes down from there.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stockholm syndrome
nailotalhi1 September 2021
This tv show kidnapped my heart Even tho It's starting to suck a bit but the love i have for the first four seasons is driving me to watch whatever they put on .

They could ruin the show and as far as I'm concerned I'll still love it .

It's the way it is , I'm a hostage.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just watch the first 3 and you'll be glad you did... and hooked
nanchogan13 August 2016
I give a ten to any show where I wish there was another episode right after the one I just watched...... or when I can't wait for the next episode...... I did not think I was going to like it while watching the first show, second show I warmed up a little and by the 3rd show, I was totally hooked.... Having a show centered around "the bad guys" is interesting... and this family is amazingly good at being really, really bad.... yet believable as they do all the normal things any family does (i.e. cooking, cleaning, rules in the house etc.) The characters are so believable.... I think that I have known someone like each of them, but putting them all together makes for a dangerous group... The flashbacks that explain how each of these people became what they are is so insightful. The casting is perfection......
131 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love This Serie
mayamorel-2593111 September 2021
PLEASE dont stop we want more!!!!

Love it !!!!

The story, the scenario, the acting, the cast is just amazing!!!
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well we had Seasons 1-4.
Ghenghy25 August 2021
Thanks for the memories. Season 5 has been taken over by a witless David Lynch wannabe, this series is thus destroyed from within and I doubt we'll see a season 6, as if anybody will care by then.

I love Leila George but all these flashbacks are a distraction and totally unnecessary for an understanding of the characters. Seems the boys have all lost their edge and meanwhile Pope has wandered off in a Peyote daze looking for answers to questions he's incapable of formulating. S5 is a total loser, a boring snoozefest extraordinaire.
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why ?
jeffmcleo11 August 2021
Season 5 is the issue. Would have been a solid 10 . The writers are lacking the same skill the first 4 Seasons had.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it!
Supermanfan-1323 August 2021
I absolutely love Animal Kingdom as it has quickly become one of my all-time favorite shows! It's not only one of the best shows currently on tv but it's also just flat out one of the best shows ever created! I'm just so impressed with how each season continues to be just as good as the others! If you haven't seen this incredible show yet and are looking for a show that will keep you on the edge of your seat every episode then stop what you're doing right now, do yourself a favor and go watch it...I promise you that you won't be disappointed! If you don't believe me all you have to do is look at the ratings or read through the reviews to see how loved this show really is!
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sons Of Anarchy meets Point Break
jeffreydonaldson29 May 2019
Thoroughly enjoyable. I even see a little young Michael Corleone in Joshua "J" Cody (Finn Cole). I don't know if they'll be able to last more than 5 seasons or so.. but the first 3 have been entertaining and full of adrenaline. I do feel like Season 1 is a bar that the show will never again reach.
60 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruining Smurf
kohutian3 July 2019
I love the concept of the show. As a psychotherapist for many years, it never gets tiring to watch the origins and development of psychopathy. The actors do a fabulous job, and I especially appreciate Ellen Barkin's portrayal of Smurf, especially when she emotionally seduces her sons (and Jay) with moments of warmth, homemade meals and emotional comfort while simultaneously psychologically castrating them and putting them in horrifically dangerous situations. Such duplicitous messages are the ingredients to create madness in others. Her sense of maintaining control over her emotions as well as the show keeping her a potent sexual woman is imperative to her character.

Therefore.... 1. Changing Smurf into a helpless character and/or unattractive character compromises our fascination with this character. I think it was a mistake to keep her incarcerated for such an extended time.... or to not find ways for her to maintain her aura of power & control while imprisoned. (She should have at least had some sexual affair with the warden or some other powerful figure there to keep her maintaining her sense of self in her world). 2. Again for the exact same reasons as above - I think it is a terrible mistake to subject Smurf to having cancer. It would have been more interesting to see HER reaction to one of her children becoming dangerously ill...to assess whether external situations can modify one with a such an extreme personality/character disorder. 3. The flashbacks of Smurf's earlier life in Season 4, are awful....and distract the viewer from the storyline. There are so many more creative ways to help the viewer understand her and her past.

Thanks for taking the time to read this commentary.
62 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
By Far The Best Show On Television!
tlawrenceintel28 July 2018
TNT certainly got it right with this show. In a rare case in which the series is far better than the movie it is based on, this show is excellent. Every character is drawn so deeply that you feel like you know them. You can't resist having a respect/hate relationship with Smurf. She is one wily fish. You watch as J goes from a snot-nosed teen to a full on criminal mastermind. The bond between Craig and Darren reminds you of your closest sibling. Then there's Pope. Wow! He is the show stealer. A ruthless, cold-blooded killer with a very soft spot for his niece. Talk about diametrically opposed feelings juxtaposed into a unreal situation. Admit it...if you met Pope on the street...your blood would run cold after one look at those ice cold eyes. In my opinion...and I watch a lot of these drama shows...this is as close to perfect as it gets. I would give it 20 stars if I could.
66 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most addictive shows I've seen
deedeeallstar23 August 2021
I love the acting, the story, the characters, the writing and the characters. Need I say more?!
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why the Hate on Ellen Barkin !! She's freaking great...
Emmett_Colak30 September 2019
She portrays her role as Smurf very nicely and believable as to who she's acting out to be. (The Boss & Brains ) Ok so she's old, back in the late 80's early 90's Ellen Barkin was a very desired woman by most men. I even remember how my freinds use to show intrest on how much they wanted to shag her everytime she was on TV or on a movie rental. People need to show more appreciation for Ellen and just shut there mouths and enjoy the show.
44 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good show
JohnECash6 August 2021
Pretty good criminal show but this season is just way too many flashbacks of young Smurf. I'll still watch to see how season ends. The actors are all good too especiallyShawn Hatody.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
newtide19 May 2016
OK so the movie was absolute class. Sheer genius in every sense. But the thing is it was never going to reach the mass market.

This show is both fun, dark and exiting. Yes the material is very similar to the original movie, but it's not trying to be something different. The masses won't watch the original movie because it's Australian and too heavy. Haters are gonna hate, but I would urge them to remember that very little material is original out there. Nowadays almost everything is an adaptation. This the perfect adaptation for the mass market who simply don't want to sit through one heavy, dark as hell feature, they want a recurring show, they want to get to know the characters. If this does its job properly it will have viewers turning to the feature film in between the first and second season...

As you can tell I loved this adaptation as much as i loved the original feature, almost more because it was fun. I want fun. I want well executed television and I felt that I was given just that.

I advise you try it out for yourself. You're either gonna switch off or turn back on so what's the worst that can happen!?
93 out of 133 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hate that Bitch!!!
sunblade-3897130 May 2017
If I was locked in a room with a gun and just two bullets with Bin Laden, Hitler, and Smurf. I would shoot Smurf twice!!!

Ms. Barkin is fantastic as a cunning, remorseless, manipulative, recidivist. Great first season, can't wait for season two.

Great plot line.
89 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great series, sustained seasons
davesjbb13 December 2020
Four seasons of great writing, suspense and drama. Gotta love a series where stars can be killed off. That's what keeps this so unpredictable.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strangely compelling, but why?
Hillius14 May 2021
I am in only mid season 3 so far, but having seen this show thus far I felt it necessary to leave a review, especially after seeing the many inexplicable 10 ratings which mention Point Break and High Octane.

Animal Kingdom may be many things, but fast paces and high octane it is not. No, this is much more a rather slow burner of a drama with only tidbits of crime and action thrown in almost as if an afterthought. The show doesn't build around the crimes and jobs the Cody's commit and so far every single one of them has been pretty underwhelming. The viewer is show the highlights of the job, and there is very little victory or celebration to be felt even after the most successful heists because too much happens off screen. The action here is best filed under how to make robbery boring. The heists themselves are pretty ingenious, but the execution is just rather meh look we got more money. Give me the money. No we have to clean it first. Gets a little old.

Where Animal Kingdom gets it right, like other great crime-dramas of the past is that there are no heroes. Every character is shown, the good, bad, the ugly, warts and all. Character development and back story are pretty limited leaving the viewer at a loss most of the time. Even the family tree isn't fully painted to the point that there is no clear vision of who fits where or why. Even the relation between characters is not well defined. In a way, it adds more intrigue, but it can also make it hard to follow at first. The only real thing that can be said is that the Cody family are mostly made up of some pretty horrible people, all very deserving of whatever bad karma may be thrown at them next. It is difficult at times to find even a single person to root for here.

Still the show does have many positives. It is filmed in beautiful Oceanside, California and there are great scenes of the Strand, the Oceanside Pier and other locations throughout the city. As former resident, I loved how the characters talk about how real estate is ruining the beachfront because that is a war that has been raging since the mid 1980s. Some great surfing and other water sport scenes are peppered in as well, and the characters love traveling on a whim to Baja, either winding up in TJ or a bit further down south with mixed results.

At this point there have been some pretty good episodes, but also a lot of dull, slow episodes also. There is a hope that the show will reveal a little more each time, that I think is the main reason to keep watching here. Every time the Cody's do something dirty and you think you've seen their worst, you need to wait as they'll even do something more despicable later on. The reason to keep watching is the hope that this strange ride has a destination or a point somewhere.

As many times as I've been tempted to shut it off, I plan to soldier on through season 4 and hopefully 5 with the rest of you out there. Though often unlikable there is something about these Cody's that is down right addictive. If I had to compare this to anything it would not be anywhere close to Point Break. No, this has much more in common with Shameless.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Animal Kingdom........ just not the same
robin-340629 August 2021
So we watched Animal Kingdom from the first breath, and followed the family all the way to Smurfs death / murder. But this flash back crap and the new "smurf" role being created by Pamela - SUCKS. No longer a show I love. Sorry guys this one is no longer for me . Was my number one now I wont bother to look for the next episode........ writers you took this show in the wrong direction. Enjoy not having the next season fulfilled.
Great cast and story
robinnation18 August 2021
I only gave it an 8 because of the way they killed off Ellen Barkuns character in Seadon 4. They said they needed new life, well she was a major player and carried it well. Shame on Hollywood for age discrimination. Otherwise it's a great show. I really isn't care for season 5. Surf flashbacks made no sense.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2 seasons, so far so good! Shawn Hatosy is phenomenal!
please-notthenuts9 July 2021
How did I miss this show!? It's fantastic! Good story, characters and actors but the standout has to be Shawn Hatosy, WOW!!! This guy is menacing/threatening with just a look, very scary! Enjoying this very much, a "Point Break" vibe is in effect. Hope Hatosy continues with even more stellar work!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great New Show give it a chance!
samshutt812 July 2016
This is a great new show to watch. If your into any of these shows Mr. Robot,1st season of true detective, Narcos, and orange is the new black on Netflix then you should definitely give this show a look. The storyline is great and the actors portray their characters really well. This is my favorite new show of the summer and definitely looking forward to each episode each week. Go check it out I guarantee you will enjoy it and want more each week. Even though it's on TNT it still should get a look because I don't think I've ever enjoyed a show from them and I'm really into TV shows especially the new ones. So like I said just watch first couple episodes of you like any of the shows I've mentioned in the beginning.
64 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best TV shows I've watched.
aovro_death11 August 2021
First i wasn't sure how the series would be, started first episode and then it took me less than a week to finish all the available episodes on Netflix. I was totally hooked.

I liked the TV series more than the film version. The characters are multi dimensional. The actors are great at portraying their characters very well.

I don't know if It's only me or anyone else hated nicky so much. I felt so relived when she finally didn't have any role anymore.

The soundtracks are great. So many punk, rock, metal songs are played in the background so well. Respect to those guys who are behind it.

Waiting for the weekly episodes..
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show!!
brookelyons-3302323 November 2019
Th characters in this show seem very realistic, excellent acting!! Good job!!!
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.