Wish Dragon (2021) Poster

(2021)

What a wonderful movie
Shadow244220 June 2021
First, this is not Aladin... this is based partly on chinese mythology and represents the gap between poor and rich in China pretty well and how people behave in China, comparing more like what people own and represent instead of their live experience and happiness. Life in China during these times is pretty hard if you are poor and have nothing to show and it's very rare that a couple coming from a poor and rich side, can come together and are "allowed" to fall in love. Some wealthy families will not allow here daughter / son to marry someone poor. That's a fact.

Back to the movie.... i was very pleasantly surprised of all the work which was put into this, story, characters and of course the special effects... this movie has more spirit (pun!) than most of the Disney stuff of today.

Heartful, enjoyable storyline which concentrates on the good in people. The Wish Dragon is not only for kids, every adult should watch it as well and let the spirit capture you. I loved the movie personally 10/10

btw. Long is so cute :) and so is Li Na.
44 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If only you know China, you will get the story so much better..
Pingelingeling11 June 2021
First of all: it is not a Chinese copy of Aladdin, but a modern-day Chinese version of the story. The main character is literally named 'Din', after Alladin, Din is't even a Chinese name.

And second of all: why is nobody talking about how the movie adresses the gap between poor and rich and the fast developing Chinese society (namely Shanghai)? Not only that, but also about how the Chinese society is nowadays all about money and material?

This movie has so many depths, but most people will never know this, because they don't know China. They only see another thing that the Chinese has copied, and made into a cheaper ripped off product. Sigh.
131 out of 180 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Chinese Aladdin "
shashipol11 June 2021
It's good 👍 different touch. Chinese version of Aladdin with modern touch.
45 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even though it would look somewhat familiar, The movie still has its own lovable and enjoyable identity ...
Aktham_Tashtush14 June 2021
The movie is as some reviews say a modern era Chinese Aladdin .. and there were actually a lot of similarities in the story of the Dragon/genie but still it felt so enjoyable and the story does feel promising and purposeful with an adequate amount of genuinity.

The animation is very well done ,, not like some of the last animations I've watched last year ,, it does look professional, glamorous and easy on the eye.

The plot is familiar but again entertaining and put in a modern way, the script is very quick, very connected and definitely very funny which what added that bit originality of movie.

The movie is very recommended.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Aladdin coming to China
Movi3DO13 June 2021
Aladdin has come to China, sort of.

Based on its own folk tale that is similar to Aladdin, a young man trying to reconnect with his childhood friend acquired a cup that spawned a dragon that could grant him 3 wishes.

Even though the premise sounded like an Aladdin copycat, the style and tone were completely different from the classic Arabian tale. The best aspect was the humor, which came mostly from the dragon, voiced by John Cho, experiencing the modern world. For the first half, I was laughing at the silly moments. The jokes weren't fancy or elaborated, but I'm a simple man, so goofy jokes were enough to get my facial muscles going.

The animation was pretty typical like the modern Disney animations. The dragon was fluffy and pink, which looked goofy.

The relationship between our main boy, Din, and the wish dragon was also another fun part. Again they were goofy and annoyed each other, which provided more funny jokes.

The weakest part was the story, which followed many tropes of a Disney-like animated movies. The theme follows a common yet valuable lesson that money can't buy happiness, and that people should cherish those around them. I did like the theme, but I didn't feel a lot of impact because of the predictable storyline and the theme itself, which was told a hundred of times before (but it's still important and relevant).

Overall, a simple, enjoyable, and funny story despite the predictable story and theme. 7/10.
21 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie! One of my favourite!
natskywalker11 June 2021
Good Asian presentation of the Asian culture, family values and friendship. I think it's easily one of the best movie of 2021. Don't want to spoil anything for anyone so just give it a go, you will not regret it.
30 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lovely
atractiveeyes16 June 2021
Its main idea is taken from Aladdin and his genie so it has nothing original or special to deliver but it's still a very good enjoyable family movie. The story is beautiful, emotional and has a nice important message. The animation is so beautiful and characters are so likable. Wish Dragon is somehow a modern version of Aladdin, that kids and adults would enjoy.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
META! (Stories within stories)
daisyisabaker12 June 2021
A lot of audience members will unfortunately only see this as a "knock-off Aladdin".

But the only similarity is that the story involves a boy who finds a "genie".

--------

I'm so happy that Chinese culture is finally getting mainstream representation.

There's a lot of hidden jokes that "laowais" won't understand, with lots of fun nods towards what you could typically find, whilst roaming through the districts surrounding the Pudong area of Shanghai. There's also Easter Eggs and references to other tales & myths such as the story of King Midas. The main plot point shares a similarity to Boys Over Flowers (amongst many other Korean Dramas too).

--------

Fabulous voice cast, including those attributed to Crazy Rich Asians. Produced by the legendary Jackie Chan! Amazing soundtrack. Beautiful animation.

I wish a very well deserved Congratulations, to all of the cast, crew & supervisors who were involved in this production! I will definitely be watching this again!
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its beauty is in the details. That's real China!
alicefontana-9743225 June 2021
I loved this movie! Everything is so real!

If you've ever been to China and Shanghai you can see that city, those people, that food... even the ads were the copy of real ones! I think Din is actually wearing Feiyue (a popular shoes' brand in China).

Plus, the story is amazing. For me, it's not a copy of Aladdin. It has some important lessons to teach about the inequalities among rich people and poor people. It shows the importance of friendship and family. It's the picture of modern China but has something to tell to Western countries too.

Needs to be seen: 10/10!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of greatest
dizielx12 April 2021
This is one of the best movies with a truly with deep meaning of live, love and money.
31 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go watch it!
johanna-de-bellio16 June 2021
Absolutely loved this movie! I hope it gets the attention it deserves!!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Harmless fun but could've been more profound...
sirwillisiv13 June 2021
Wish Dragon is serviceable, middle-of-the-road fare. The story is highly derivative of Aladdin but also mocks it and I found a handful of the jokes to hit, surprisingly so. I respected the more platonic take on that type of story. It's about someone who just wants to see their best friend again after so many years apart and I find that much more relatable and endearing than "love at first sight."

I enjoyed the animation. It's snappy, colorful and the environments are stylish and welcoming. With that said, I don't think the characters were strong enough to deliver its familiar but essential message about life's importance in a thought-provoking fashion.

I was really into Wish Dragon for the most part, like almost on a Pixar level. About 70% of the film is effectively character-driven but sadly it goes a formulaic, exposition-heavy route upon the third act and it ultimately works against the message it's trying to convey. With a redundant villain throwing a wrench in the works, too, it was kind of a letdown.

At the end of the day, though, despite its missed opportunities, Wish Dragon is harmless. The message is still relevant even if it wasn't told in the most profound manner. See it if you'd like, but I'd recommend watching Soul for a more grounded "meaning of life" story.
14 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's fine
KristineHaase30 June 2021
It's fine, I felt the retelling of the exact same jokes from Disney's Aladdin kind of cringy but I guess either I'm a bigger Disney nerd than most others and they didn't catch that or they don't care. I'm all for retelling of same stories and myths, that doesn't bother me it was just the recycled jokes that bothered me. Needed better writing for sure.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly original and funny
alfredolepine12 June 2021
Going into this film I was worried it was going to be a soulless piece of entertainment for babies but after watching to the end it's quite funny and has a personality with a likeable array of Characters and with jokes for all ages. It's a good family film and if you have nothing to do I suggest you go give it a watch. It doesn't shake the industry and it's a bit predictable but it's a good time.
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This will teach life lession to our upcoming genration
partha-mahanta11 June 2021
Love it. Just love it. Must watch movie. An Asian Alladin.
16 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magical: Visually Stunning and All-Around Enthralling!
chawk-7662316 June 2021
Sony has done it again and it has created another CGI animated Masterpiece in the same mold as Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse! I really liked the colors in this movie and the visual effects were stunning! This movie was a feast for my eyes! This was a very feel good family-oriented movie that also had a lot of Asian folklore and mythology in it which I love! Do yourselves a favor and watch this movie if you want to have fun! Very entertaining and this is what a movie is supposed to be like! Shear Magic and very Charming and whimsical! Apparently Jackie Chan produced this movie so expect great action scenes, of which there are many and this is a fun adventure! What a rush!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dragon wishes
legobuilderpro11 June 2021
The animation was really pretty and has really funny scenes involving Long the wish dragon, also a good voice cast.

I liked the main character and his funny dynamic with Long the wish dragon.
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Come on guys, this movie is not that bad after all!
electronictealfuzzy17 June 2021
Why is this movie an Aladdin ripoff? Well, the only reason why they say this movie is an Aladdin rip-off because of the plots being the same and copied everything. But for me, this movie is pure amazing and a blast! I saw that 3:09 am in the morning when it came out and I was surprised! Not only that, but the plot sure has a lot of detail and action into it. And learning to be realistic is the important lesson.

The movie has the perfect protagonist and antagonist also. Ever since I watched Aladdin when I was a kid, it was so inspiring for three wishes. So, I don't think this is an Aladdin ripoff at all, which means it's a modern-day version of a Chinese fairy tale.

It doesn't matter if you're rich or poor, you are who you are. Money like between those two words are not important. What's important is believing in your heart and yourself top the whole world. The soundtrack is anime-like and the fighting scene was surely anime-like too such as "My Hero Academia" and "Dragon Ball Super". And Sony. Keep up the good work to your films!
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite an interesting film
crazychainsaw15 June 2021
I don't usually enjoy kids movies as much anymore but this one felt a bit different than a lot of them. The writing was a bit unique despite the plot seeming a bit simple and overall a good movie. Also, it taught a bit of a different lesson than most kids films.

My only complaints would be that some moments were a bit predictable and the animation could've had a bit more detail, not to mention in a few scenes the lip syncing was a bit off.

But at the end of the day, it's a nice family movie that your kids will love. So I recommend at least giving it a shot.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel like I've seen this before....
gromit-3699911 June 2021
It's Aladdin. I mean, it's almost word for word Aladdin. Without songs.
22 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A well executed Aladdin inspired story - Just watch it.
ediyang12 June 2021
I was skeptical about this movie being so obviously similar to Aladdin. Whoever watch the trailer of Wish Dragon will immediately think of Aladdin and be like "now Chinese copying Aladdin. So original".

To be honest, it's really hard to find anything original nowadays. And who cares about originality when they can execute the story very well into something different?

It's a simple story about the meaning of life. Another reminder of what truly matters in life. Wealth isn't always the answer but being realistic is important too.

I love how they created this character Long Zhu. The dragon is so lovable. It gave me a good impression.

I really enjoyed this movie. Everything is predictable but in a good way. Very enjoyable. Watch this with your family and kids.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Movie of 2021
debnathchetan22 July 2021
Forget Raga & last dragon after watching this movie,,,Best movie of this year,feeling good & really enjoyed.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame Chinese Kockoff
batantx12 June 2021
As expected from something made in China there is no original premise to this at all. They took everything that others worked hard to create and put a Chinese spin on it. As is form an fashion in China these characters run around lying to each and displaying personal double standards at every turn in the film. Yet everything works out fine in the end not through no real personal growth but through magic...
18 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Already an underrated masterpiece. Modern take on Aladdin featuring Shenlong and Master Roshi
quiqueperezsoler13 June 2021
Many would see this movie as a "copy" of Aladdin with hints of Dragon Ball elements (like a wishing dragon and a funny oldman character), however, the brilliancy of this movie is that not only does it acknowledge these similarities even though the story was possibly inspired by an old chinese fable more than the actual 1992 classic; but its refreshing and hilarious take on it makes for a completely new and amazing story worth telling. Yet nobody seems to be talking about it....

Sure, it's only been released a couple of days ago but in this day and age, there's always some mention of it (if only in meme format..). Yet, I've scoured the internet.. too little for such a great movie that I hope doesn't fall under the radar like other animation masterpieces out there. Anyways, here's my review:

We have seen over and over again the tropes of classism in romantic movies, however, none of them featured such a modern take on them (one we could relate to it so much and with the new backdrop of China's modern culture) and a modern development of a culture like in this one. We go from almost rural Shanghai to super metropolis Shanghai with a leap in technology that allows for many funny scenes and interactions between some of the "out-of-date" characters. Not to mention the spot-on screenplay with witty, perfectly timed dialogue.

The layers the story displays make the movie so much more enriching and lends for a lot of more rewatches. The subtleties found in the animation and story elements makes the film so fulfilling and enjoyable. And the fact it takes all the similarities with other franchises or media in such a light-hearted and amusing way makes it so much better. If they had ignored or not addressed the current similarities everyone would have reacted more negatively, accusing it of being a rip-off of other works.

The modern insertions to a pretty ancient-inspired story makes it so much more realised and blend in so smoothly I had no cringing moments of social-media-referencing or other modern elements that could be a bit on the nose.

I have more to say but it'd get into spoilers or possibly reveal elements that, at least when I saw it, were unknown to me. I just want to reiterate that the Chinese backdrop, spanning several settings of China (rural to urban) was very well realised in the animation and felt whimsical and, at times, soothing. Like Studio Ghibli's portrayal of rural and urban Japan (food included, very mouth-watering). And this takes me to the animation, which I would give a 10/10 is just that the removal of spines and any bone in the humans that is so characteristic of Sony Animation feels a bit off-putting, as for the rest: great action sequences, humor, expressions, textures and lighting. 9/10, which is still prety good, is just that I don't share this "cartoonized take" on animation, I appreciate it and see the value of having a different style from Disney's and Pixar's, but, at least in 3D animation it's still a little wonky to me. (Had the same complain with Hotel Transilvania)

IN CONCLUSION, the story, the dialogue, the action, the humor, the characters (ALL of them), the romance, the Dragon... There's not a weak aspect in my eyes. I don't know if it's because I enjoyed it so much this first time but, I think even though it features so many well-known plot elements: modern take on classism, the be-careful-what-you-wish for, the greed's redemption, friendship and innocent love; all these slice-of-life themes that feel like we haven't seen in its "purest form" in a while, they return in this well-realised Chinese-angle-themed refreshing story that opens the eyes and the culture to the rest of the world. Themes that will never get old as they govern our everyday lives, sure there aren't any wishing dragons but we all wish we had a friend like him... ;)
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
djurrepower13 June 2021
The first and second act are almost exactly like Alladin, beat for beat. The only faintest hint of originality comes in the third act, but at that point you really have to put in effort to keep paying attention.

Not to say it's a knockoff. Some chinese culture was well implemented, but the whole modern spin seemed very superficial.

There is some hint of critisism on modern chinese culture, but the movie doesn't adress these directly, wich is a lost oppertunity.

The only thing directly adressed is materialism, but that isn't really that profound coming from a genie movie.

The animation was really bad, with uninspired character disign and juvinile animations.

The conflict in the story seemed not very well thought out. And character development felt rushed and unimaginative. So the story was not engaging and predictable.

All in all, this is a classic example of how some movies feel like they were made by an algorithm. (thank you tencent)

3/10: uninspired and boring.
11 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.