The Music Box (2018) Poster

(2018)

Clearly...fake ratings.
joshdestardi13 March 2019
The acting wooden, unprofessional, lingering camera shots that make the actors feel extremely awkward.

Formulaic 'horror', with a small home, some cheesy gargoyles you can purchase anywhere and silly statue photos hung in the home.

I wanted to stop playing it but a family member was having fun laughing at this poor imitation of a movie.

Literally, do not bother.
24 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring!
jeannenora16 March 2019
The actors are so dead boring! Those monotone voices.. sheesh.. I almost fell asleep, but waited and waited for it to become exciting... Nothing!
21 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're not my mother
nogodnomasters22 April 2019
A music box is haunted by a girl with bad hair and worse eye make-up. Annabelle (Rachel Daigh ) recently appointed guardian of her niece Sophie (Cearl Pepper) move into the abode and dig up said box. Soon Sophie becomes attached...hauntings...sightings...psychic (Fiona Whitelaw) to the rescue. You know the drill far too well.

The story brings nothing new to the screen. Characters were bland.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Minus 10 stars'
poolefreeform14 March 2019
To call this a Movie or a Film is wrong It is very poor Quality the camera man can't even hold the camera steady it's like a very poorly made & dull documentary full of ugly people. The main actress looks like one of StephenKings TommyKnockers'. Bland & uninteresting to the point of being Offensive
32 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Antonio is a terrible actor
chameleonaram6 April 2019
The movie itself had potential. But mister Antonio did his best to screw it up. So after like 30 minutes I was done. Yeah, obviously he has the looks but far from acting skills.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I gave it 1 star for the comedy of watching the terrible acting
dodiq22 March 2019
Besides having no notable or believable characters; in particular the Shrink who sounds like a less emotive robot than a robot -- there is the incredibly bad camera work -- camera too close, lingering shots of someone's waist etc. Could have forgiven the shoddy effects if the story were any good. My husband and I kept each other amused by saying things like "Hasta La Vista, I'll be back" whenever Antonio Lujak said a line. They misspelled "Mystery" in the library computer (LMAO!) and I have no idea why only one actor had an American accent and all the rest had a different one from all the others. Overall, left us completely dissatisfied. Plot started out strong and went out with a whimper. No reason or rationale for the ending.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not so bad... is good, just the end wasn't great...
martinellilorenza3 April 2019
People thinking this will be a straight-forward horror film will be disappointed; The story is typic a ghost story. But I am loving the execution of this movie... Meh... The end was my disappointment.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3.5 From Me
Foutainoflife4 May 2019
This film tells the story of a woman who has been given guardianship over her niece after the death of her sister. They move into a house that has a strangeness to it and while trying to plant flowers and make it more like home, the little girl finds a possessed carillon or music box. The little girl quickly becomes very attached to the box and begins to behave in strange ways. Will they be able to figure out what is really going on with this box?

The story isn't awful and in a lot of ways it sorta reminded me of "The Possession" (2012). That film was about a young girl finding an antique dybbuk box, buys it, brings it home and a lot of not so good things start happening. Unfortunately, this film is not nearly as good.

I don't mind watching low budget films because there are those times that I come across some gems and finding those are something I enjoy doing. I still have standards though. It is obvious that this is a low budget film. Not a large cast, very few props, actors that are not so skilled and a script that needs work. This is low budget but low budget doesn't have to be bad.

The key things I look for when watching low budget are: 1. Is the story somewhat believable and does it avoid having a lot of holes? 2. Do I believe the actors have taken on the identity of their characters or is it clear to see that they are just playing the part? 3. Did the director use the settings and props to the fullest capability considering budget? and 4. Was it filmed well?

This film just didn't get there. I believe there was a good attempt but it just sorta flopped. The biggest problem for me was the acting. It felt awkward. I just have to ask, did anyone else think the Doctor's voice was weird? It almost seemed like his lines were recorded in a sound studio while everyone else was just filmed by on set boom operators. It was just weird.

Anyway, if you are looking for something impressive, you aren't going to find it here. If you aren't a fan of low budget, you should definitely avoid it. However, if you do like the low budget stuff and are kinda like me, looking for that gem, this isn't it but you may find it slightly okay. Don't go into it with high hopes.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I like it... The ghost is really scary
MemphisG56359 April 2019
I like it... Just the doctor's acting was a little bit bad. Love the ghost of this movie.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fake Ratings
fedebonia22 April 2019
Everything in this film is so bad. From music, acting, dubbing, direction, special effects and plot. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME, SRSLY!
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Bad Movie
olcayozfirat23 March 2019
The movie is full of clichés. The acting is very bad. A known scenario now. No voltage. No music. Just the melody of the music box. You want to end the movie but it doesn't stop.
13 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie, not amazing...
mikar-5047326 March 2019
I was excited for "The Music Box." I was pretty excited to see where this movie was going. After watching the movie in full I was confused. I was confused whether I thought this was an bad thriller movie or if it was a spectacular movie. After deliberating in my mind I believe this movie is pretty great! honestly it's beautiful and a bit scary..
14 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best indipendent horror!!!
carlign20 July 2019
It's so good! Really scared me and my friends. I love Rachel Daigh!
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing to say: very Bad
zindo-6600122 April 2019
What film they had madeClassic end story for a film that actors play a normal rule Music bad was the story wriote by an Italian?
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very very BAD Movie
mohamedmbly5 April 2019
Very bad, fake acting, bad editing bad directing, no plot, -500 stars
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lack of acting
desypoetri7 June 2019
The actor lack of acting skill. And it is boring movie. I can't finish watching this movie
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bland
lifelinespublishing16 March 2019
Watched it for only a good 40 minutes, not scary enough, the story is good, it has some potential but the acting was really really bland. I am sorry that I watched it, really...

A true horror movie will scare you on the first 10 minutes of the film, this did not scare me at all, the ghost scenes were pedestrian at best.

overall, a must avoid
10 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie
carlign16 March 2019
Love this movie. Good acting and really interesting plot.
15 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it!
lorycarmine27 March 2019
I realllllllly enjoy it!! The people have to watch that movie!!! So horror and drama!!!
12 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TMB Indipendent horror movie 8/10
Frenk871021 July 2019
The music box is a low budget movie directed by a young director. It's not a great movie, but there are scenes that are really amazing. I watched it in Italy, and the Italian version is different from the USA version. More faster, and specially the voice of the doctor is different... I know that this movie was a big hit in Vietnam, Phillipines and Korea. Is a good result for a low budget movie, congratulations.
5 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice horror
eliopanini20 July 2019
Is a good movie The Music Box. The script, the direction, acting...
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really nice!
tomasmerrino7 May 2019
It is a low budget movie and it is a nice movie. Not so bad, many reviews come from others directors for sure. Good job guy!
6 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good little slow burner
Woodyanders29 July 2020
After little girl Sophie (a sturdy and appealing portrayal by the adorable Cearl Pepper) loses both of her parents, she winds up moving into an old Victorian home along with her estranged aunt Annabelle (a fine and credible performance by Rachel Daigh). Things go awry when Sophie discovers an old music box that unleashes the malevolent ghost of a murdered little girl (a genuinely creepy turn by Melissa Leone).

Director John Real relates the familiar, but still involving story at a gradual pace, takes time to develop the main characters of Sophie and Annabelle, and adroitly crafts a spooky and unsettling atmosphere. While Daigh and Pepper do praiseworthy work in their roles, the supporting cast is a decidedly mixed bag: Fiona Whilelaw lends sound support as helpful psychic Mrs. Nills and Antonella Salvucci ain't half bad as sweet librarian Eva, but alas Antonio Lujak is hopelessly wooden as concerned child psychologist Loris. Fortunately the bond that slowly, but surely grows between Sophie and Annabelle gives this movie some extra depth and poignancy. However, the ending comes across as a bit flat and rushed. Overall nothing really special, but still a perfectly acceptable time-killer just the same.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is a good thriller, no horror.
CLcaron8721 July 2019
This movies have a good poster for an horror movie, not for a thriller. the movie is more a thriller, no horror. There are good scenes of suspence, but the ghost not scared me. I like the atmosphere of this movie, the music and the house where they live, it is perfect for this story. Just the end was bland...
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh, my dear god...no.
ravenhair70228 July 2020
I bought this movie in a Dollar Tree. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a store where EVERYTHING is priced at 1 dollar. So, I walk in with my wife and we see a bin at the front with movies in it. Movie for a dollar. I'm reminded of that saying. "You get what you paid for." In this case it is extremely right. The movie was a snooze fest. The acting was so god awful, especially from the child therapist. He sounds like a computer voice from the 80's. Watching it was brutal and it's really a bad sign when everyone in the room votes to fast forward it to end their suffering. Please take my advice and DON'T watch this. Peace.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.