Unearth (2020) Poster

(II) (2020)

Cheap and dull
Leofwine_draca16 September 2021
Another cheap and dull slice of digital horror. An environment plot a little similar to THE COLOR OUT OF SPACE but lacking the intrigue, the mystery, the exoticism of that story and its many adaptations. This time around we're with a cast of dirt-poor farmers (whose lives make the film exceedingly dull) who allow frackers on to their land; disaster ensues. The horror aspects are extremely limited and go nowhere and even former scream queen Adrienne Barbeau's presence fails to lift the spirits.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow paced atmospheric pseudo-horror...
paul_haakonsen30 April 2021
I didn't know what I was getting myself into here when I sat down to watch the 2020 horror drama movie "Unearth". In fact, I hadn't even heard about the movie prior to sitting down in 2021 to watch it. But it being a horror movie was more than sufficient to make me want to watch it. Plus the fact that it was a movie that I hadn't already seen before, and also it having an interesting cover, definitely helped seal the deal.

And it should be said that the storyline told in "Unearth", as written by writers Kelsey Goldberg and John C. Lyons is rather slow paced. Now, the storyline itself definitely was interesting enough, but the pacing of the movie just restrained the movie to reach its full potential. And you have to keep focused on the movie, because this is a very confusing storyline. Directors John C. Lyons and Dorota Swies definitely do good jobs at keeping the audience in the dark, and never really knowing what is actually going on and what is just imaginary.

That kind of storyline and approach to a movie doesn't really sit well with everyone in the audience, so "Unearth" could be somewhat of an acquired taste. I enjoyed it well enough, but I feel that the movie could have been a lot more entertaining if it had been properly paced, and also if there was actually a clear and distinct way of knowing what was actually going on.

I sat through the entire movie, and as it ended I was left with a sense of 'okay, what was that all about?', it makes for a somewhat anti-climatic movie and I feel somewhat bereft out of a proper movie experience.

It should be said, though, that the atmosphere in the movie was spot on. I definitely enjoyed that, and there were some elements of a Lovecraftian-inspired sense of cosmic dread to the movie.

The movie had a fairly strong ensemble of actors and actresses to portray the various roles and characters throughout the course of the movie. And they definitely put on good performances. It was just a shame that they weren't allowed to go to the full scope of what could be done, given the limitations of a slow paced story and a very confusing storyline.

"Unearth" wasn't an impressive horror movie, but it definitely was a good atmospheric movie - if there is such a thing.

My rating of the 2020 movie "Unearth" lands on a four out of ten stars. A shame really that this movie wasn't allowed to become more than it turned out to be, because it had all the contents necessary to make for a truly great atmospheric horror movie. If you are in for an evening of proper horror, then your money is not well spent on "Unearth".
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another worst horror film! Full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Avoid at all cost!
kwenchow9 September 2021
This film start with a woman fishing on a boat, and she went away with her car scene! As turnout, this film is about two farm families need to survive from the infectious water! Entire film full of boring conversation, and annoying overuse scene! Such as, overuse of the walking scene, overuse of the searching scene, overuse of the staring scene, overuse of the arguing scene, overuse of the calling names scene, overuse of the drinking scene, overuse of the eating scene, overuse of the blackout scene, overuse of the taking care of baby scene, overuse of the working scene, overuse of the driving scene, overuse of the taking picture scene, and overuse of the kissing scene Make the film unwatchable! At the end, only Christina survive! That's it! Wasting time to watch!
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I cannot see that coming
ks-6050024 May 2021
Watched til 45 mins realized it's a sci fic, thought it's a drama with deep meaning kinda. Slow burn to die.... I mean myself.
12 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
drama between 2 families struggline and 15 minutes of horror at the end
kaefab27 April 2021
If you can call this horror, no the acting is really not bad, if you want to check out a movie that is more dramatic then horror.

The horror component comes in play around 1h and 15 minutes of the movie, other then that its 2 families struggling to keep there farm, being screwed by an oil company and so on.

So i cannot recommend this movie pass it on its really boring and nothing to offer.
24 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange and unbalanced
johannes2000-119 August 2021
This is a strange and unbalanced movie. It is billed as a horror story, but for over more than an hour nothing even remotely scary happens, in fact: nothing much happens at all. We see two neighboring dysfunctional families struggle with poverty on their dilapidated farms and barren lands, with as a result some sort of depressing social drama, a bit East of Eden-like. And then, in the last 20 minutes, the story totally tilts, all characters successively turn into ferocious killing monsters who go rampant. The end.

What on earth (no pun intended) is supposed to have happened?!? One of the families leases out their land to a gas winning company who starts drilling. There is some innuendo that all this drilling has stirred up some ancient evil looming in the earth, but real answers aren't provided.

It a pity, since the acting of all concerned is pretty good, with Adrienne Barbeau (with impressively aged features) as the unrelenting mater familias, they all had deserved a more convincing and solid story.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch
goodalan-821917 October 2021
This movie has everything in it.

People giving low scores are either Watching spongebob, or are just plain biased. Loved the movie More of the same please.
5 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow drama, satisfying body horror finale
chilversedward10 July 2021
I found this film was a slow atmospheric depressing drama depicting the struggles of a couple of poor farming families and would have got a very low rating. However it earns its drama/horror title with its last half hour as the rural citizens all got turned into what seemed like grotesque fruiting bodies which I assume was from a subterranean primordial fungus the fracking disturbed allowing them all to breathe in the spores which gave them all a very nasty tickly cough indeed. Whatever ancient biology it was deep within the earth that had them sprouting and oozing, I warrant it was probably best left well alone within earths rocky bowels.

It felt like the slow burn somber atmosphere might yield a nice shiny horror reward and I wasn't left disappointed. Maybe not enough for all horror fans but felt like enough icing on the cake for me.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Depressing
birkby-7042329 June 2021
A turgid depressing film, the Farmers generate little if any sympathy, the old bat that plays the mother has a face like a Bulldogs bum that has been stung by a wasp with an hat on, I was rooting for whatever it was that got them to get get them, and put them and us out of our misery, and for God's sake will filmakers stop this fetish for filming everything in the dark.
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really Good Movie!
Harry-5-51112130 September 2021
WOW! What a "Trip down the Rabbit Hole".... This Movie is a Sensational glimpse into the "Human Condition"!

The acting is VERY Good! If your looking for Pure Horror Action, this is not a film for you . But if your one of those Patient Folk, that actually LIKE A Good Script, Acting and Location, this is for you! It examines the Trials & Tribulations of two families pulled apart at the seams with no apparent way out!

That's all I'm gonna say!

GREAT FLICK!
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Composed Horror Drama
portal179030 April 2021
A very composed horror drama about the ruthless life of farming and all of the problems surrounding. A solid story for a solid acting as great as the rest of the technical aspects. Definitely a good film. Could had a better ending tho. For sure deserved better classification.
5 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth it!!
kbaxws5 September 2021
First hour or more sets up the background of the movie's two farmer families. This part goes way further than needed and I expect would lose most audiences 30 min in.

The acting is blah (but I loved seeing Adrienne Barbeau again.) I totally agree with another reviewer that it takes too long to figure out the fathers and mothers from the daughters etc so casting wasn't spot on for age differences.

Since it had "horror" in the description, I stuck around for the payoff. It's surprisingly a good premise but the movie pretty hazy/lazy on executing who lives and dies and why. Once you figure it out (or what you think happened,) it works, but the movie never gets you there on its own.

Maybe it's meant to make you think of where fracking and industrializing farms is taking us...but I think it was just poor horror moviemaking.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bleak but rewarding environmental horror
maxwellsnake2429 June 2021
Part social commentary part body horror fable, 'unearth' joins a list of recent horror flicks that take the slow burn route to deliver their shocks. ' saint maud' and 'relic' proved that the patient approach to movie storytelling can be fruitful, with both receiving critical accolades and swiftly growing cult followings.'unearth' may not leave the viewer in quite the same state of shock as the those two aforementioned movies and may drag in places, but when it comes to effectively creating a palpable sense of dread it stands shoulder to shoulder with them. Two neighbouring farmsteads experiencing financial hardship , struggle with the woes of rural living and some dark personal secrets. When a gas fracking company offers to buy one of the cash strapped neighbour's spare land, tensions arise between the two families and what appears to be a financial lifeline, reveals itself to something far more sinister. 'unearth' is a bleak movie , with an almost downbeat indie drama feel for most of its running time, so those looking for regular short, sharp shocks will likely be disappointed, if you have the patience however , this movie's shocking denouement will pay off handsomely.
7 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tries too hard to be a horror/thriller with too many disjointed scenes...
transientdreams29 June 2021
Awesome premise, and a good start. Adrienne Barbeau kicks ass, and the acting is good all around. But then comes the angst, and solitary angst, and then the group angst and unresolved grief and personal opportunism. Then just more and more disjointed suffering and trauma that no one is doing anything about while no questions are being asked about anything. After the first half, it just become a 45 minute 'trailer' of nonsensical grief and greed scenes that make very little sense to anyone who can reason and who has the most basic of common sense. Nothing is ever explained. In all honesty, I would barely call this a "movie". It seemed it was going to be a nice, tight little drama, but no such luck. With 2 writers and 2 directors, SOMEBODY screwed this little pooch sideways in the second half. I think the actors deserve an apology...
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Put it back into the ground....quickly!
beav33-119 September 2021
If you want to waste 90 minutes of your life, you are in luck with Unearth. The first hour of the film is boring family bickering... the last 30 minutes is hardly much better however.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The title says it all...
dobly5810 October 2021
Fracking. I saw this word in the title and I knew instantly that we're in for a lecture on how not to live by ideologically possessed writers taking a slice of Dem alarmist rhetoric and twisting it into a wildly overblown mess. Well, as it turns out, the things the new administration have banned are just simply making everyone's life a misery as the country sinks before the eyes of the world. THAT is the legacy for our grandkids, not switching off the power and hoping for the best. The film is corny, amateurish, and obviously shot by kids with a digi camera. Avoid.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WAIT...WHAT?
bradalejohn-1916310 September 2021
This story started out strong. The fracking component came and went, or should I dare say, "IT BOUGHT THE FARM." If this was a lesson about respecting our planet, it missed the mark because it was ALL OVER THE PLACE. There seems to be something IMPORTANT missing from the film. The ENDING was HORRENDOUS. It reminded me of the end of the 1950's version of THE BODY SNATCHERS, or something of that nature. I was really expecting this to be a good film, but IT FELL FLAT ON ITS FRACKING FACE.😕
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Others Watched This Movie So You Don't Have To
kingsinuk18 August 2021
Trust me, there's infinitely better uses of your time. Plodding, with "dread" music playing from start to end. It's amateurish to play "dread" music before there's the slightest clue WHAT to fear! Too bad the rest of the movie wasn't up to the acting level, which was quite good. You know the editor(s) needed to wield the scissors when you can fast forward without fear of missing anything ANYTHING.

9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quality production and acting; plot, pacing, and editing hilarious
tanelson-9102329 June 2021
Some positives :

Camera and sound are used well to create sense of claustrophobia and tension

The acting is good, but hard to sell the writing much of the time

Does not rely on jump scares. One exists but seems purely accidental (i.e. Unexpected cut rather than something jumping out. )

Negatives:

Plot is straightforward and simple to a fault. There are a couple moments that suggest a red herring or twist, it is false promise

Characters unbelievably dumb. It is one thing for a panicking character to behave stupidly or erratically, but much like the tension itself, it is laid on too thick at inappropriate times. You can argue the characters are under duress throughout, yet hilariously, a baby demonstrates greater sense than the remainder of the cast, it is hard to believe the stress drives inattention to the extent an infant is the smartest character

As mentioned, the tension building in camera and sound work is well done, but is also applied at completely inappropriate times. Completely mundane scenes are constructed to produce unease and claustrophobia. The characters visit a monster truck rally: close shots, characters not fitting in frame, concealed by background characters, low bwaahhhh sound. Why? They are surrounded by 100s in a monster truck rally, the movie could spend the time to develop characters or relations so you care if they survive.

Weird editing at points. Movie jumps erratically to cover everything, then for some reason had time for completely redundant scenes at the end. It is almost like they couldn't decide on one ending so they showed 4, including two fades to black, one happily ever after, and an ominous wider implications panning shot with credits- EXCEPT, the wider implications doesn't work, it relies on the notion nobody ever mentions the horrific events after the fact. Like, "oh no, whatever will happen to this city... If nobody watches or browses the news lol.

Despite all this, highly worth a watch. What is done well is done well, and what isn't is usually funny rather than boring. If you are looking for a 'good bad movie' consider it 7 stars instead.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How did this ever get made?
davidahenning23 August 2021
No plot. Horrible casting - it's hard to tell the parents from the "children". And no horror in this "horror movie". Spoiler: nothing happens until the last twenty minutes and, thrust me, it's not worth the wait.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is a fracking movie so ease up on the ratings!!
zoolife26 April 2021
I would if it wasn't so fragmented while going nowhere.

The environment definitely needs protecting but see little reason to protect this movie with an inflated rating. It's an unbalanced film and in so doing removes the 'suspension of disbelief'. I may as well been watching a mockumentary but as far as I can tell that was not its intention.
31 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
where's the movie....
flippie-7130328 July 2021
This title isn't hardly a movie....it's all about talking without any purpose of making anything into a story....don't know why they made this 'story' into something to tell to anyone....one of the worst things i ever seen in awhile....avoid this crap!!!
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Save 94 minutes of your life
lajos-andrejkovics24 July 2021
OK so the first 1 hour is just a slow, boring, redneck biopic. Don't wait for any actions, clues... whatever. Nothing is happening. If they wanted to set the scene they could have done it in 3 minutes. That much has happened on the first hour.

Then it's just a downhill of meaningless things happening which lead nowhere. Nowhere. Scenes that have no meaning, actions that lead to nothing and the ending is just the real cherry on the top of it. Well the ending has probably happened because they ran out of battery life or something... The closing scene during the credit then shows a lakeside town with boats and everything. God knows why...
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Depressing
sailor202118 July 2021
Ok I'll admit that I am only 30 minutes in but this film is so depressing that I can't go any further.

The acting is well done but the script is such a downer that whatever Boogeyman may end up popping up later & killing them, would seem like a mercy killing.

If I wanted this much depression, I would just watch the news.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An achingly accurate metaphor for the consequences of human short-sightedness
foxymoron7137 May 2021
A slow burn with beautifully-filmed, nuanced performances that expertly builds up the claustrophobic dread as you watch these families struggle with poverty and hopelessness, culminating in a brutal climax as they face the consequences of one member's desperate and mistaken attempt to remedy their situation. An achingly accurate metaphor for the ways we try to solve our immediate problems and end up creating greater problems for ourselves and our environment.
9 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.