Recovery (2019) Poster

(II) (2019)

A Real Borefest
politehere5 June 2019
The movie has nice cinematography and good acting, but it's an all-girl cast. It's about a few heroin addict girls trying to get clean in a rehab center and they fight each other like prisoners would in prison. That's all the movie is all about. There are no scares, no thrills, nothing. Just because people die in a movie, it doesn't get to be called a horror movie. I think a new sub-genre should be created for movies like this so horror movie fans will know they should avoid them, something like: crime, murder. This is no Scream. It's lame and boring with a generic plot. Actually, I can barely call it a plot, because it's too basic. Close your eyes and imagine this: two girls are fighting a normal fight with fists in a well-lit corridor, one of them picks up a shard of glass and stabs the other, and the other girl just falls to the ground and dies. There's no gore either. Now, slowly open your eyes. Did that scare you? Did you find that thrilling or interesting in any way? That's what you're going to get by watching this movie. If you found the picture I described interesting, scary or thrilling even a bit, please go ahead and watch this movie. Otherwise, save yourself an hour and thirty minutes of your life and watch something better. The gore you see in the trailer is what one of the girl's sees in her head a few times during the movie. It's got nothing to do with the main story-line, and it's merely there as an excuse to make an interesting trailer in order to deceive the audience.

And no, please don't thank me. It is my duty to warn you. If I can save even one person's time, I will have served a purpose in this world.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BORING
techousewife12 June 2019
Extremly dumb movie and it has 7.1 rate (the only reason why I watched it in first place)
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Commits the worst sin for a horror movie, it's boring.
efullerton12 June 2019
There's not a lot to like here, the set-up of an all female mandated heroin recovery unit feels like it might have some legs, but it's sqaundered and has to lean on the tired contrivance that there's an impassable blizzard to build any kind of tension at all. The actors do their best, but it would take the finest actors in the world to deliver the maudlin heavy-handed dialog the script demands, and these aren't them. The characters become caricatures and by virtue of that there are no stakes, you don't care what happens to any of them and just hope they are all killed in some significant manner.

As you sit through real time therapy sessions you begin to wonder if there is ever going to be a turn where it becomes a genre flick, and then when that finally happens at the 1 hour mark you're so bitterly disappointed you'll want to turn it off at what is a laughably silly payoff, but stick around for that final showdown featuring the least gripping combat since the knife fight in Seizure.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not good
ops-525355 June 2019
A terible story about ptsd'd druged woman that needs recovery. easy made easy paid, and no more than that thinks the grumpy old man.there are some woman flipping out and some cross connections that kills, but its all basic and quite freudianic. terrible music that everybody with a battery driven babys keyboard could make.not recommendecd.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite possibly...
tobiasklaye13 June 2019
... The worst movie ever made. How How How did this snoozefest score so highly?! Watching paint dry is far more entertaining and horrifying..!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's decent...
zusplace6 June 2019
A decent movie, nothing much to say a bit boring but if you can resist til the end it's ok.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After watching this I wanted to check myself into rehab!!
ymitchell444614 June 2019
I believe this is one of the worst movies I ever seen.. And still don't understand how it rated a 6.8 when there are only 8 reviews and most are 1 star rating..
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eh..
wicker-9346013 June 2019
Saw the trailer and realized very fast that it was low budget crap just by the way it was filmed. Then I see it has a 7+ score on imdb... Wow,,,
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
killer not scary enough
SnoopyStyle12 June 2019
Bonnie checks into a court ordered rehab in a remote female facility. She often blacks out, has a hallucination of a scary man, and comes out of a violent trance. After such an attack on another patient, Dr. Taylor decides to return her to jail but a snow storm has shut in the facility.

This could have been a good horror but it's not shot in the genre. The killer is not scary enough and the jump scares aren't there. I like the characters. It could have better. It really needs a scarier killer.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring & bland. Not worth the rating (warning)
bastian-kreuzer10 June 2019
Recovery is a hopelessly bland, boring and confused little movie. It takes place in one location. Inside a secluded rehab center. Apart from a few outside shots of a snowy forest and a house in a forest all you get is the inside shots. Every room just basically looks the same as the other. The trailer is edited to show the viewers anything but that fact. And, yeah, the secluded rehab center has conveniently been cut off from the rest of the world by a raging snowstorm.

The movie centers around the female lead Ronnie (Stephanie Pearson), a former soldier suffering from PTSD. That's the reason why she's turned to drugs. She is also an aggressive, arrogant and obnoxious person that spends half the movie picking fights with other people. There's nothing likeable about her. Ronnie acts as though this were a prison and not a rehab center. She constantly butts heads with others for no apparent reason. She also gets recurring visions of a dead man. These visions tease a supernatural mystery but nothing comes out of that. The dead man she keeps seeing is not part of the main "horror" plot at all. The mystery of the killer is resolved quickly and is as unimaginative as the rest of the movie.

There's other characters in the movie but they're almost not worth mentioning. There's a female doctor and an almost catatonic girl that are in the movie solely because every hero/heroine of a movie needs someone to save. There's no other purpose for them. They are also slightly less unlikable than our lead so maybe the writers thought the viewers might at least root for those two. The killer turns out to be one of the patients. Her explanation: I have some bad habits. I do drugs and I'm a serial killer. That's all we get. The big reveal just sort of happens about halfway into the movie. There is a love story jammed in there as well. Its clumsy and doesn't work. The rest of the cast is there to fill in the empty space. They inevitably get into a fight with our obnoxious lead Ronnie and then get murdered in a very boring way. The director could as well used some cardboard cutouts, splashed some fake blood on them and that would have worked just as fine.

There's really not much blood and gore in this "horror" movie. The poster and the trailer tease you with it but what you get is far from that. Just some stabbings and a few blood stains. This is not nearly enough for a slasher which this movie turns out to be. Again this aspect of the movie is another disappointment.

The conclusion: The screenplay is boring and ordinary. There's absolutely no suspense, tension or mystery. There's precious little blood and gore. The lead character is arrogant and obnoxious. The killer has no real motivation. She is not scary or menacing. You won't care what happens to the characters. The actors do their best with what they're given but it is not much so don't expect any brilliant acting performances. Most of the action takes place inside so it all looks the same. Bland and colorless. The background music is horrible and annoying. It does not help to build the nonexistent suspense and tension. It will only annoy you. Mark my words.

My vote is 1 out of 10. The horror enthusiasts will hate this confused little flick. It is more of a bad drama than a horror.

EDIT: The rating of this movie somehow exploded to 6.9. Talk about undeserved. You have been warned.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.